Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So if Dabo is starting Bryant only because a SR...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

So if Dabo is starting Bryant only because a SR...

Aug 23, 2018, 2:24 PM

...I'd think Huggins and Choice would have their hands raised for some "love" as well, no?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: So if Dabo is starting Bryant only because a SR...

Aug 23, 2018, 2:29 PM

Well, that was a fast fail. Huggings is behind a senior, where he isn't listed as a 1st string or:
https://www.tigernet.com/update/Clemson-releases-preseason-depth-chart-30061

As of last chart, he is a 1st string "or" with Dex...and 2nd behind Wilkins (a senior).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL, yea, ok.

Aug 23, 2018, 2:42 PM

FYI - Huggins

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: LOL, yea, ok.

Aug 23, 2018, 2:51 PM

Not when he's Huggy bear...then he's HugginGs..lol.

Dabo expects to win every single game ... it's a bit silly

Aug 23, 2018, 2:32 PM

for Clemson fans to believe for a moment that he'd risk a game, a season, a career over excess feelings of loyalty.

He will play the guys he believes give him the best chance to win every single game.

Count on it.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

people are stupid ray..people are stupid.***

Aug 23, 2018, 2:35 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

They most definitely are Ray.***

Aug 23, 2018, 2:42 PM

Re: Dabo expects to win every single game ... it's a bit silly

Aug 23, 2018, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Dabo expects to win every single game ... it's a bit silly ]

I think most that have read or watched his interviews know that part, I'd hope:
https://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Swinney-says-QB-separation-will-probably-take-place-in-the-games-17120

"I'm worried about Clemson. I'm worried about whoever goes out there they better get the job done and if they don't they're not playing. We're not going to play people to make them happy, we're going to play people that win. If you play well, great."

Aug 23, 2018, 3:02 PM

For the record though (for game 1's starter), it did in fact come straight from the horses mouth that "if they are even, the Senior gets the nod"...so if they are in fact even (which he's never said if they are or are not), people saying he's getting the nod because he's the Senior isn't exactly wrong. Dabo did say that himself.
https://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Swinney-says-if-Bryant-and-Lawrence-are-even-the-senior-will-get-the-nod-17061

"It's always been that way in our program. If it is even, then the veteran gets the nod" he said.

Aug 23, 2018, 3:32 PM

What coach in his right mind wouldn't? If two players are equal, you'd play the guy with more experience or who has been with you the longest. These guys work hard to wear that uniform. Doing so for years clearly merits recognition and appreciation "if all things are equal." Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 23, 2018, 3:51 PM

yep, always has made sense to me...to me, the issue comes in when you can see the separation in the games and they keep sticking with the one that isn't looking the best with no other explanation than "he's been the better in practices" (Cooper/Johnson is the main time that was seen). Then you begin question why they haven't changed it. IMO, I'd rather have the better game guy in there, not the better practice guy. Some guys, things come together more under the lights.

Aug 23, 2018, 4:22 PM

But in your scenario, "all things aren't equal." One player is better than the other but the coach insists on playing the inferior player. I don't believe we've seen that happen. The problem we have is that what we see from the stands is very different from what coaches see in the film room evaluating every player after every practice and every game. That's why it's so difficult to second guess the coaches decision. Rest assured Dabo Swinney knows he has fallen in to the honey pot at Clemson University. To think he would make stupid decisions that would risk the loss of games just to play "seniors" makes little sense. He knows that if he loses games, he's going to lose his fan support. If he loses fan support, he isn't going to continue to make the money and be "the guy." So I am absolutely, positively certain Dabo will play the players "he believes" give him the greatest chance of winning games and championships and continuing to be "the guy." We, the fans, may disagree with his selections, and that's our right. But to assume we have equal knowledge of the players and the team and the very game itself seems a bit arrogant and naive. Dabo is a lot of things but stupid isn't one of them. So why not just trust that he knows a bit more about this than we, the fans, do and let the season play out. Keep in mind this is his life. You and I have jobs and hobbies and families, etc. Dabo is living Clemson Football 12 to 15 hours a day during camp and throughout the season. He knows the players; their abilities and their limitations. He's produced a heck of a product for the past 10 years. Can we not trust him to continue to do likewise rather than constantly questioning and berating the process?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 23, 2018, 5:44 PM

Actually, we did see it with Cooper and Johnson. They kept saying Cooper was better in practices through the whole season, then both would play in the same game, and Hunter would outperform Cooper.

Then around the Citadel game and Hunter's performance, they finally switched and said Hunter had earned it and was now 2nd string. But he had played equal to or better than Cooper in both the Kent State game and the WF game, then again in the Citadel game, which is when they made the switch.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400937447
http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400937489
http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400937521

And don't forget which played in KB's place the entire rest of Syracuse, the game we did lose...and which never saw the field. yet the coaches said this:
https://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Coaches-detail-why-Bryant-got-the-start-why-Cooper-came-in-over-Johnson-16297

...just to switch them a few games later when he outperformed him for another time. Too late for the Syracuse loss though.

For me, I'll continue questioning until I see that they allow game performance to outweigh camp and practice performance. Some players just aren't great practice guys, but become beasts in games. And if they show that, I'd rather see the better game player in rather than the guy who had good practices but it isn't translating to the field.

Aug 23, 2018, 6:17 PM

Kent State game:

Johnson - 5/6 for 39 yards, no touchdowns or interceptions.
Cooper - 4/6 for 37 yards, 1 touchdown, no interceptions.

How exactly do you look at that and say either guy outplayed the other?

Wake:

Johnson - 5/5 for 42 yards, 1 touchdown, and no interceptions.
Cooper - 2/6 for 16 yards, no touchdowns or interceptions.

I'll give you the Wake game that Johnson played better, but if the coaches honestly thought Cooper looked better in practice throughout the offseason and season to that point, do you really expect them to move Johnson ahead of Cooper after a game where Johnson threw 5 passes, and Cooper threw 6?

As far as the rest goes...Didn't Johnson move ahead of Cooper for the #2 spot following the Syracuse game?

I think in general a lot of fans put too much stock into the stats of a backup QB during garbage time of games. I recall a lot of people pushing for Stoudt to start over Boyd, and hyping up Stoudt big time prior to 2014 based on his stats as a backup in 2013 where he was 47/59 for 415 yards, 5 touchdowns, and no interceptions. That included a game against Wake where he was 10/11 for 90 yards and a touchdown, and a game against Citadel where he was 19/20 for 143 yards and 3 touchdowns.

Aug 23, 2018, 6:21 PM

I said "equal to or better"... That's the one I consider it equal. That's also game 1, and Hunter was a true freshman, Cooper had been in the program a year. If they are playing equal there, already not looking good for the guy that's been there a year.

As for WF, don't forget that team ended the regular season 3rd in the Atlantic. Only Clemson and NC State were ahead of them.

Aug 23, 2018, 7:46 PM

So you're suggesting our coaches should ignore an entire offseason of practice plus the weeks of practice during the season based on barely 10 passes between the two of them in garbage time against Kent State and Wake? I can just picture Dabo saying something like "yeah, we had Cooper ahead of Johnson all this time, but they played about the same in their 6 passes each against Kent State so we're moving Johnson up ahead of him now."

Aug 23, 2018, 9:01 PM

If it's not translating to the field, yes. It's great they look good in practice, when they aren't live and don't have guys literally trying to take their heads off... But if they can't do it when it's game time, then they aren't the guy for the spot yet. That'd go for KB, or even TL.

It might be 6 passes in the Wake game, but the yards, the completion difference... It's enough to start to determine the 2nd string... not the starting spot. One was 33%.... Was was 100%. That's not close at all... Even in limited play.

Aug 23, 2018, 6:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo expects to win every single game ... it's a bit silly ]

and no, they didn't move Hunter ahead until after Citadel:
https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Bolt/Hunter-Johnson-edges-Zerrick-Cooper-for-No-2-QB-spot--110853491/

Amen.***

Aug 23, 2018, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Dabo expects to win every single game ... it's a bit silly ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Apex -You are getting senile in your old age.

Aug 23, 2018, 4:34 PM [ in reply to Dabo expects to win every single game ... it's a bit silly ]

You seem to think that Dabo is smart enough to put the best players out there on the field rather than going by some loyalty option such as letting someone play just because they are older or a certain race or possibly the son of a coach or maybe even just because they are a girl. Letting the best players start and play is old fashion stuff. Even Urban Meyer adapted and kept a coach around just because he felt an obligation to the coach's grandfather. The times have changed according to seems like most around here and Dabo has adapted to this new policy of who gets to play and who has to wait their turn.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And thank goodness you're not in coaching.

Aug 23, 2018, 2:34 PM

You'd lose the locker room pretty quick.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic