Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo doesn't deserve praise or congratulations for this...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 90
| visibility 1

Dabo doesn't deserve praise or congratulations for this...

Apr 15, 2014, 11:42 AM

Dabo knew exactly what he was getting when he recruited Chad. None of these behaviors from Chad should come as a surprise to anyone. Chad Kelly came to Clemson the exact same way he is leaving.

When a football player comes to Clemson, he is promised to leave as not only a better football player, but more importantly, as a better man. Dabo doesn't deserve any sort of praise for booting Kelly off of the team because he failed to get Kelly to buy into what it means to be a Clemson football player. Dabo took a chance on Kelly, believing that he could mold Kelly into being the next great QB and a respected representative of Clemson. Dabo failed in that regard, and in the process he has put our next several seasons in jeopardy.

We're now left with just 2 scholarship QBs because Dabo gambled on a troubled kid coming out of HS. On scholarship, all we have is a single Class of 2011 and a single Class of 2014 QB. We will probably be okay this year with Stoudt/Watson, but in 2015, all we'll have is a 2nd year player in Watson and whatever true freshmen we can bring in.

All of our eggs are basically in one basket now. Ideally, we would have 5 QBs on scholarship, but Stoudt and Watson, 2 guys who have never started a single collegiate game, are all we can count on now. Here's to hoping they can both endure the next few college football seasons injury-free.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ FOUND ONE - - A BIGGGGGG ONE ! ! ! !***

Apr 15, 2014, 11:43 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

thats what she said***

Apr 15, 2014, 12:22 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The tool is a powerful brain.

So what's your excuse?***

Apr 15, 2014, 11:44 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Disagree nearly completely.

Apr 15, 2014, 11:49 AM

I can certainly see the perspective that Dabo took a chance and now we are short handed. But this is college football at the highest level. Dabo and Chad M. put a lot of energy into getting to know Chad Kelly - I'm confident that they knew the challenges and thought they were up for it. They were wrong. "Blame" them for that all you want, but I'll bet for every Chad Kelly story we've had 10 guys with question marks that turned out to be benefits to the program as the program made them better people. It is delusional message board garbage to sit behind our keyboards and point out the times a coach gets it wrong, especially when overall he's knocked it out of the park.

And once Dabo determined that it wasn't going to work out, he cut tied with dignity for all parties. He didn't faux-suspend him time and again like Spurrier. He didn't allow a bad egg to fester in the program like many others would, hoping it would get him another win or two and maybe some more money. He didn't throw his responsibility to Chad Kelly out the window by allowing him to behave the way he was behaving without consequence. For this I give him praise and congratulations. You are free to disagree, though.

null

I am usually all on-board with Dabo and how he runs this

Apr 15, 2014, 12:28 PM

program. I'm not the type of person who goes calling for him to be fired every time we lose a game. He's done an amazing job as HC at Clemson, and we're extremely lucky to have him.

But we've brought in just 3 scholarship QBs in the past 5 years, and one of those kids had major red flags. That's not what top programs do. They don't put all of their eggs in one basket at the QB position.

"That's not what top programs do"...uh...ok...yea....***

Apr 15, 2014, 12:52 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Really!!!!!

Apr 15, 2014, 1:47 PM [ in reply to I am usually all on-board with Dabo and how he runs this ]

So Jimbo Fisher wouldn't do that. He won a national title!!!! But neither would Gene Chizik. Oh No- he won a national title too. Les Miles Wouldn't do that. he won a National title too. So because Dabo let one go he is no longer running a top program. Wow!!!! JUST WOW!!!!!

Re: I am usually all on-board with Dabo and how he runs this

Apr 15, 2014, 4:31 PM [ in reply to I am usually all on-board with Dabo and how he runs this ]

Clemson is a top program, so drop this crap about our recruiting not being what top programs do. Grow a pair already. We're fine at QB. The 3rd best QB option was kicked off the team. Nick can hold a clip board as well as Hothead Kelly can so no real loss.

I can't understand the issue with the original post in this

Apr 15, 2014, 4:45 PM

thread. Are some of you that blinded by your love for Clemson and Dabo?

Dabo and Chad gambled and lost on Kelly-- there's no two ways about it. Kelly is a brash kid that has had behavioral issues in the past. Dabo and Chad recruited and offered him-- either trusted/believed he was a changed man (he wasn't) or that they could change him (they couldn't).

Either way, I agree, their evaluation was off, and for that a little bit of the blame falls on them. We're now a thinner at QB and most likely will have to burn Watson's redshirt. This, too, is to the detriment of the team and future seasons.

Chad Kelly did not go off the deep end at Clemson. He's a kid with a checkered past. The staff decided to look past it. Not the end of the world-- hey, we took a chance-- but yes, a little of the blame here does fall on the Head Coach.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watson's likely 3 and done whether he redshirts this

Apr 15, 2014, 5:02 PM

season or not.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I can't understand the issue with the original post in this

Apr 15, 2014, 5:06 PM [ in reply to I can't understand the issue with the original post in this ]

At least Dabo has the balls to cut him unlike spurrier who gives 5 chances, no punishment and plays them anyway

Re: I am usually all on-board with Dabo and how he runs this

Apr 16, 2014, 8:24 PM [ in reply to I am usually all on-board with Dabo and how he runs this ]

Well, I suppose he could have gone for Jamis Winston, but have you read the New York Times today?

Re: Disagree nearly completely.

Apr 15, 2014, 12:30 PM [ in reply to Disagree nearly completely. ]

+10

Sometimes it is better to just think something.***

Apr 15, 2014, 11:49 AM

I agree - Dabo had to know that one day he would

Apr 15, 2014, 11:51 AM

probably have to kick Kelly off the team. In fact, he must have done it on purpose. We'll never win an ACC Championship or a BCS Bowl, or finish in the top 10 at this rate.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

If you don't think our QB depth is a huge concern for both

Apr 15, 2014, 12:11 PM

this year and next year now, you're living in la-la land. We're an injury away from staring 18 year old true freshmen each of the next 2 seasons.

Of course Dabo didn't want it to come to this, but signing just 3 QBs in 5 years is just not what major programs do. Add to that, that one of the recruits had major red flags, and I don't see how you can not fault Dabo for taking a huge risk.

he'll still be an 18 year old true freshman next year too?

Apr 15, 2014, 12:17 PM

I has a confuse.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

If Watson gets hurt as starter next year,

Apr 15, 2014, 12:18 PM

a different true freshman will likely start.

Unless you really think Schuessler is back-up quality. (He's not)

Maybe JUCO QB with our new majors?***

Apr 15, 2014, 12:21 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

It could happen, but what are the odds that we can get

Apr 15, 2014, 12:23 PM

a quality JUCO to come in, knowing that Watson is going to be the guy? This JUCO kid would have to come in knowing and would have to be okay with being the backup QB.

Re: If Watson gets hurt as starter next year,

Apr 16, 2014, 11:06 AM [ in reply to If Watson gets hurt as starter next year, ]

Umm, yes he is. :)

You might want to get your facts straight - then get back

Apr 15, 2014, 12:35 PM [ in reply to If you don't think our QB depth is a huge concern for both ]

with me.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Fine, I forgot about Tony McNeal...

Apr 15, 2014, 12:40 PM

so 4 scholarship QBs in 5 years...my bad...but he got hurt way back before the 2012 football season. Dabo has done nothing the past 2 signing classes to offset that injury. He had a full year before the Class of 2013 to know that he needed to replace McNeal.

We actually signed 5 QBs over the last 5 recruiting

Apr 15, 2014, 1:08 PM

classes that were rated 3-Stars or better by Rivals. National champion FSU signed 6 over that same period.

Coming into this year, we had a 5th year senior who coaches were confident in. We had a talented redshirt sophomore that was ready to legitimately challenge for the starting job. We have perhaps the most talented freshman QB in the nation, who in spite of his youth, is actually challenging for a starting position. Then we have a walk-on who contrary to your opinion, looks to be capable as a back-up.

Again, contrary to your opinion, we were in good shape at QB. Your assertion that Dabo somehow failed because he should have seen Kelly's problems coming is preposterous. Yes, the kid had issues, but I'm sure Dabo and Morris, whose judgment I trust far more than yours, felt he would make it. Nobody expected this, nor could they have.

- H. L. Mencken

McNeal had career ending injury. Roberts transferred to Yale

Apr 15, 2014, 12:40 PM [ in reply to If you don't think our QB depth is a huge concern for both ]

At least attempt to know what you're b!otching about.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It doesn't change the fact that Dabo has done nothing

Apr 15, 2014, 12:43 PM

to offset those transfers/injuries.

Re: It doesn't change the fact that Dabo has done nothing

Apr 16, 2014, 3:42 PM

So...Stoudt, Watson, Schuessler currently.

3* Tucker Isreal - committed
4* Kelly Bryant - expected to commit.

Please remind me what you're complaining about?

RS SR Stoudt and True FR Watson are

Apr 16, 2014, 4:00 PM

the only 2 scholarship QBs on the roster. There is no bridge between a Redshirt Senior and a True Freshman. Schuessler is a walk-on, who we and all but one AQ team didn't think was worth an offer.

Apparently people here don't think QB depth is an important thing to have. If your #1 QB goes down, there's always the true freshman ready to step right in. It doesn't matter if he's ready or not...he's got to play.

Most people wanted to RS Watson as well. That's completely out of the question now.

Dude you're trying too hard...

Apr 16, 2014, 4:04 PM

I was responding to your question of what the staff was doing to correct it.

Chad Kelly dismissed and less than 48 hours later a 4* is expected to commit. Any you're saying they aren't trying to correct it.

Things happen man, your blame game is weak.

It's not a blame game, it's about responsibility...

Apr 16, 2014, 4:12 PM

Who was responsible for offering Swag a scholarship? Our coaches were. Swag obviously let them down, but they put him in a position to let them down.

I find it ironic that nobody seems to give SOS or Richt a free pass when half of their recruits get thrown in jail, but when Chad Kelly's behavior gets him thrown off the team, it's all on him.

You technically answered your own question...

Apr 16, 2014, 4:41 PM

"I find it ironic that nobody seems to give SOS or Richt a free pass when half of their recruits get thrown in jail, but when Chad Kelly's behavior gets him thrown off the team, it's all on him."

Clemson coaches are not getting thrown under the bus because "half of their players" do not have this problem. It's very far and few between.

That's why most don't understand this thread. No, it didn't work out the way the coaches planned. But how many have worked out the way they planned? You got a 100% track record at your job? Just curious.

I was referring to the losses of McNeal and Roberts

Apr 16, 2014, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Dude you're trying too hard... ]

way back in 2012, and what they did to correct that...Even though we lost 2 QB options, they didn't increase the # of QBs they took in either the 2013 or 2014 class.

Obviously, they're trying to correct it now...but that doesn't help bridge the gap between Stoudt and Watson or give us any quality depth at the position.

Re: I was referring to the losses of McNeal and Roberts

Apr 16, 2014, 4:43 PM

Lost McNeal & Roberts, gained Kelly & Watson. I'm not to good at math but...

Yes, Kelly was a bust. Yes, it sucks and the coaches have be accountable. But I just think you're going a little overboard.

Re: I was referring to the losses of McNeal and Roberts

Apr 16, 2014, 6:30 PM

So you think we weren't planning on recruiting any QBs in that period until Roberts and McNeal got hurt?

And how am I going overboard? I haven't said fire Dabo or Dabo sucks or anything even remotely close to that. All I said is he doesn't deserve any praise or congratulations for this situation. That's not exactly a harsh or "overboard" statement.

So? Your post does not deserve praise or congratulations

Apr 15, 2014, 11:51 AM

because it is backward thinking on making a difference in the world and making Clemson the place to go to make that difference. We all have setbacks and failures. It is how you deal with that that is the true point of praise and congratulations. Clemson is ready to field a great team in 2014 and beyond. I am surprised you can't see this.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Okay, but you have Kelly who has known red-flags...

Apr 15, 2014, 11:57 AM

how do you not recruit another QB with him in the Class of 2012 or a single QB in the class of 2013?

I have no doubts that the rest of the team will be very good. And I would never even consider firing Dabo, but this was a mistake on Dabo's part. We are razor-thin at QB now because of a lack of foresight. Bad QB play could cripple us in the near future with just one injury.

Re: Okay, but you have Kelly who has known red-flags...

Apr 15, 2014, 12:04 PM

We have several kids on team who were good QB in high sch, so just cool down.

Kelly absolutely deserved to be kicked off the team...

Apr 15, 2014, 11:54 AM

but you have to put some of the responsibility on the coach as well.

It's no different than a GM of a professional team signing a player with a troubled past to a 20 million dollar deal, and getting completely burned when the player doesn't pan out. Do you think the GM just gets a pass, and the player is the only one at fault, when he ignores the red flags and doesn't hedge his bets?

College football coaches are both the GM and Coach. They have total control of the program. The fact that we only have 2 scholarship QBs right now is at least partially Dabo's fault. I don't even know how you can argue that.

So, you are not one of the ones who sat here on Tigernet

Apr 15, 2014, 11:57 AM

worrying about if we took another QB we would lose Watson or Kelley--because there were a lot of posts about that? So Dabo is ###### if he does or ###### if he does not. LOL.

Some of you are like the Roman god Janus.

So now we're catering to specific player demands in the

Apr 15, 2014, 12:00 PM

recruiting process? We're Clemson, but we let 17 year old potential QBs dictate roster moves for the team.

Of course I'm not one of the ones worrying about losing Watson or Kelly if we took another QB! It's the coaches job to build a team, not a HS football player's.

Sounds like whatever Dabo did you would have a problem

Apr 15, 2014, 12:01 PM

with it. LOL.

Yes,I have a problem with Dabo having just 2 scholarhips QBs

Apr 15, 2014, 12:03 PM

on the roster.

Whatever moves he needed to make to not let that happen, I'd be perfectly fine with.

I think Abraham Lincoln said it best when he said....

Apr 15, 2014, 11:54 AM

"Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I think that was

Apr 15, 2014, 11:55 AM

Martha Stewart.

signed,

bob

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Will Rogers....

Apr 15, 2014, 1:43 PM [ in reply to I think Abraham Lincoln said it best when he said.... ]

Kinda the same thing about Congress...

Now, about this year's potential QB recruits... Moving on.***

Apr 15, 2014, 11:56 AM

Disagree strongly - what about the players who come......

Apr 15, 2014, 12:02 PM

to Clemson with questionable backgrounds who DO mature and DO develop into responsible people? You don't give DS any credit for that? He took a chance on them didn't he?

Quit being hard on Dabo and soft on Kelly - Kelly's a man now and should know how to conduct himself. And don't act like Dabo just "booted him off the team" because of how Kelly acted last Saturday. You can be sure he's been working with Kelly for a long time on his behavior but last Saturday was the last straw.

Kelly has an ego/temper problem from somewhere for some reason but he's old enough to correct it. He got what he asked for.

The other positions we have tons of depth for...

Apr 15, 2014, 12:06 PM

We build depth by recruiting players year in and year out at all of the positions. Dabo's signed just 3 QBs in the past 5 seasons.

Kelly deserved to be booted, but how do you not have more on board when you bring in a player with red flags?

Re: Dabo doesn't deserve praise or congratulations for this...

Apr 15, 2014, 12:03 PM

You take a chance with all recruits. Some may turn out to have maturity problems. Others might not be able to adjust to the college game.

Some get injured, transfer, get dismissed.. Time to move on.***

Apr 15, 2014, 12:06 PM

And some coaches bring in more than 3 QBs on scholarship

Apr 15, 2014, 12:14 PM

over a 5 year period.

Oh wait, that's pretty much every coach in the country.

Re: And some coaches bring in more than 3 QBs on scholarship

Apr 15, 2014, 12:20 PM

Clemson will be fine with QBs that are already on the team and booting Kelly will help with recruiting the next two cycles, so quit with the sky is falling nonsense.

POOF Come on Down Nick Schuessler!!!!

Apr 15, 2014, 12:10 PM

you have just won an athletic scholarship to play quarterback at Clemson University!!!!!

now we got 3....

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Correct. And Schuessler has had the benefit of a RS year

Apr 15, 2014, 5:01 PM

and 2 springs to learn the system - unlike a newbie recruit in '14 who would have been even further down the pecking order considering they would have been entering with the #1 D-T QB Watson, and likely wouldn't even be stepping on campus until this summer.

Having said that, I'm sure Dabo is beating himself up, along with the OP, for not having broken through to Kelly like he has with so many others. It's been a tough few days for everyone involved.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you obviously have a good point.

Apr 15, 2014, 12:13 PM

I don't know that I would say that "Dabo doesn't deserve" any praise for his handling of this, but he obviously does bear some of the responsibility for the players he brings in and how they develop.

Many times has a Gamecock coach been skewered here for bringing in a kid with character issues, who was eventually dismissed. This is not really different.

It's no different than a GM in any professional sport

Apr 15, 2014, 12:17 PM

A college football coach is both GM and coach. He has total control of the program, and he's in control of building the roster.

Dabo has brought in just 3 QBs on scholarship in 5 years. When you invest that highly in just 3 guys, you better be sure all 3 work out. We're now just an injury away from staring an 18 year old true freshman in both 2014 and 2015. We have no depth at the QB position at all.

That's pretty spot on, though I probably wouldn't be quite

Apr 15, 2014, 12:18 PM

as pessimistic about it, personally. If something does happen and the lack of depth is a very really issue, then Dabo and the team may pay a price. But I would wait 'til then to get upset about it.

So Dabo must have a crystal ball and be a mind reader too***

Apr 15, 2014, 12:36 PM [ in reply to It's no different than a GM in any professional sport ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

No, but with any person in charge of roster management

Apr 15, 2014, 12:37 PM

Much of their job is in risk evaluation and mitigation. This could be viewed as a strike against Dabo in those areas.

Coaches are not clairvoyant....

Apr 15, 2014, 1:45 PM [ in reply to So Dabo must have a crystal ball and be a mind reader too*** ]

Don't know of any married to Clare Voyant either...

Come on man. The real question there is how many chances

Apr 15, 2014, 12:19 PM [ in reply to I think you obviously have a good point. ]

do you have to screw up? You should have been gone 4 chances ago but you are still here?

Apr 15, 2014, 12:16 PM

No problem. With this offense, QBs will flock to come here. Either right out of high school, or juccos. I'd be shocked if someone doesn't show up very soon.

I agree with you up to a point

Apr 15, 2014, 12:33 PM

I wouldn't say that coach Swinney deserves praise or congratulations on the entire Chad Kelly saga. I believe that he'd be the first one to say that he wished this situation hadn't occurred and that Kelly was still part of the team, and I bet that he'd take some of the blame for how it all turned out.

However, I don't think that Dabo should be criticized about his handling of the situation. It seems to me that he acted decisively and in the best interest of Clemson University. I also don't think it was a mistake to recruit Chad Kelly, or to give him chances to try to mature. As someone else on this thread commented, there are MANY examples of players with troubled backgrounds becoming part of the Clemson family and making huge positive contributions to it. In this case, it just didn't work out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is asinine

Apr 15, 2014, 12:41 PM

So he should probably start recruiting kids that have at least a 3.8 GPA in high school to ensure that there are no academic casualties. Especially at QB, unless we intend on having 10 of 85 scholarships dedicated to that position. Why stop there? If a kid has a serious injury during high school, why take the chance that he never fully recovers or injures it again?

Better yet, let's pitch in and buy Dabo a crystal ball so there is no question about any of his decisions.

No, but you hedge your bets when you bring in players

Apr 15, 2014, 12:46 PM

with red flags.

Kelly was not a "troubled kid"

Apr 15, 2014, 12:55 PM

I just think our staff doesn't put up with a whole lot, and he got into an altercation with the wrong person.

Douchey, entitled white kid who's uncle is a HOF NFL

QB =/= "troubled"

*whose***

A kid who was suspended in his first 2 years of high school

Apr 15, 2014, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Douchey, entitled white kid who's uncle is a HOF NFL ]

football and eventually dismissed from the HS team does equal troubled though.

Yeah...

Apr 15, 2014, 1:06 PM

5 Qb's on scholarship?

Apr 15, 2014, 1:22 PM

Get outta here!

I think Dabo would be the first one to agree that he failed.

Apr 15, 2014, 1:29 PM

But, that doesn't mean he was wrong to try.

Kelly's competitive nature and athleticism are attributes you want your QB to have.

Maturity is something that not all high school stars have to begin with and it's something that a coach hopes can be developed.

In this particular case, it just didn't happen.

Apr 15, 2014, 1:30 PM

Dabo just doing his job. He has way more important things ahead of him. I am confident things are gonna be ok.

Apr 15, 2014, 1:33 PM

i have no problem w/ Dabo recruiting Chad because more times than not, a kid like Chad that has good family structure will mature when the get to campus. A&M did it w/ Johnny Manziel.

my only problem would be IF Dabo made him a promise that he wouldn't recruit another QB, which may have set Chad off and lead to all of this. he may have figured on competing against Stoudt but not Watson. a coach should never make that promise to any recruit. if you're the best, you'll play. & I wouldn't want to be on a team that would limit itself to make a deal w/ one player.

Apr 15, 2014, 2:06 PM

I rarely comment, but this is just too ridiculous. Dabo has been doing a great job recruiting. It is not like he hasn't tried to recruit other QB's. With early graduation, injuries, idiot behavior, etc; there is no way a coach can have enough players at every position to ensure there is never going to be a depth problem, at some point. Be realistic in your criticism. Yes, he saw issues with Kelly but at the time we took him we had plenty of depth at the position. He saw talent and hoped he could help the kid straighten out and help the team on the way. It didn't work out. He is cutting and running. At least he isn't letting him stay on the team and be a cancer to the program. Enough already.

Apr 15, 2014, 2:16 PM

i agree w/ Dabo's effort. He recruited and signed Watson without hesitation last year. However, i understand that he may have somehow implied to Chad that he was the one and they would recruit another QB, which Chad may have misunderstood. I realize that coaches sometime try to say what they think will solidify a prospect's decision, but making promises w/ recruits about playing time and other recruiting before they take a snap is not a good practice.

nick schuessler was a scholorship qb at 'ol miss, but came

Apr 15, 2014, 1:49 PM

here on a transfer as a walk-on , i think he can win some games as an EMERGENCY starting qb if your doomsday scenario comes to fruition. we'll be o.k. unless a maryland type of injury epidemic hits us, and no team (not even an alabama) could withstand that.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: nick schuessler was a scholorship qb at 'ol miss, but came

Apr 15, 2014, 2:07 PM

actually, he signed w/ Miss. State, and transferred to us when Nkemdiche and the rest of his former teammates were committed to Dabo as part of a grand deal. I'm actually surprised he's still here. But I'm glad he is.

He gave up a D-1 scholarship @ MSU to walk on at Clemson

Apr 16, 2014, 10:45 AM

Obviously Nick believed he was good enough to earn a scholarship at Clemson. His performance to this point would seem to support that feeling.

He definitely seems to be a cut above the average walk-on.

I thought Stoudt started a couple of games when Tajh

Apr 15, 2014, 4:42 PM

was injured. Whether or not he started, he played almost the entire game(s).

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Apr 15, 2014, 5:01 PM

Stupid post of the day. DA

Apr 16, 2014, 11:27 AM

You're right 555. Two weeks ago we had an exciting qb battle, maybe the most quality group of qbs in the NCAA, now we are all in with Stoudt. Let me preface by saying I thought it would be Cole from the start but I was confident knowing that if he got injured, Kelly would be ready with a year and half of the play book and watching TB under his belt. I always thought it was a possibility Kelly would transfer, but I figured it would be after this season. But what's done is done and it's still team Clemson with Stoudt and Watson. It's imperative that Watson gets reps with the first team til we raid Athens. It's just as important that both of these guys bulk up. Deshaun Watson got injured on his first hit during live scrimmage I've been told. Hopefully Stoudt gets the mindset of now or never and is ready game one.
Go tigers

Apr 16, 2014, 11:27 AM

Dabo didn't fail, Chad did.

My Sister is a School Teacher, She has over 100 students, if 95% of her students pass her class it proves she is a very good Teacher.
The 5% that do not pass 1. Don't have the Family at home pushing or assissting in their studies. 2. The student just doesn/t care. 3 The student has a learning disability. 4 The student is just not inteligent enough to pass the class.

You can choose which category that you feel Chad is in.

Does your sister choose which students get into her class?

Apr 16, 2014, 11:44 AM

Coach Swinney hand-picks the players for his football team that he believes will succeed.

Your argument kind of fails there.

Hold ye taters son.

Apr 16, 2014, 12:22 PM

When you say 'eggs in one basket,' are you talking about having one QB or one seasoned veteran QB?

If you're saying one seasoned QB losing Chad Kelly didn't hurt a thing because he doesn't qualify as a seasoned QB. Chad has less than 200 total yards on 16 carries and 17 passing attempts. He had one touchdown for six points.

If 'eggs in one basket,' is referring to the number of QBs then you must think Cole is all we have but Nick has played and studied the playbook and Watson is a QB too.

If Cole gets hurt would you want a psyhco like Chad Kelly on the field? Chad had what, two quarters of live D1 competition under his belt and he's contesting our coaches' playcalling?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My problem is more that Dabo only signed 1 QB

Apr 16, 2014, 12:43 PM

in 2012 (and that QB had red flags), 0 in 2013, and 1 in 2014. When you sign so few QBs over a 3 year period, you better be sure that they all work out. And again, I said we'd be okay this year, but it is 2015 when the huge concerns arise.

Schuessler is a walk-on. He was not offered by Clemson coming out of high school, and he realized he would not make it at his only BCS offer of Miss. State. The main reason he's a walk-on at Clemson is because he believed his incredibly close family friend Nkemdiche was coming here, but Nkemdiche screwed him and us over. While he can play if necessary, I don't think anyone would expect us to compete for any sort of titles with him at the helm.

There was no changing how many snaps any of the QBs have gotten over the past few years. Tajh was deservedly the man. My main problem is the number of able-bodied QBs we have on campus. Why did we sign so few QBs? Why isn't the next Stoudt, the guy who isn't going to be a star, but is a perfectly reliable QB, a SO or JR right now?

No matter how you look at it we'll have a RS SR starter, a walk-on, and a true freshman this year. Again, as I said in my initial post, we'll probably be fine this year, assuming there is no injury. Cole Stoudt has proven that he can be a reliable QB for this team.

But there is now a huge gap between QBs on scholarship. There is no bridge at all between Stoudt and Watson. There is no backup plan. All of our eggs are in one basket for 2015 in Watson.

we have a third QB

Apr 16, 2014, 1:22 PM

who did pretty good in spring game. Thought I'd let you know.

Apr 16, 2014, 2:58 PM

The coaches knew what they had with Deshuan, and they staged the collar bone injury. They just didn't want people to see what they really had until this fall when he comes out and leads us to the title. The coots' days are numbered. Chad Kelly was dismissed because his services were no longer needed

Apr 16, 2014, 8:18 PM

oliver stone when does your next movie come out? really dude?

Apr 16, 2014, 6:16 PM

the players know the rules of the coach when they come to the school and are expected to follow them. players are expected to honor and respect the coaches and do what they are told to do at practice ,in school, in games, when you are off campus . if you can't act right and do things that hurt the school you need to be put off the team. if you let one player misbehave than others will do it too so behave or expect to be put off the team. you should be kicked out of school also

Replies: 90
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic