Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo and the way he runs the program
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,402

Dabo and the way he runs the program

Oct 26, 2015, 12:00 PM

I don't know if RUN is the right word since he isn't the athletic director but I suppose it's reasonably accurate. Either way, you have to like his style.

When Dabo first got the job, I felt like it was a solid hire, but I think like so many, we wondered if his lack of head coaching experience would prove to much to overcome early on at a program as passionate as Clemson. And early on he did do a few things that seemed unusual. Nothing major, but you couldn't help but figure it was him finding his sea legs.

Dabo always had a likable persona. Had no damaging past or failed previous coaching endeavors. And I think in some way this was part of his success. The Clemson job was a huge opportunity for any young coach. Especially one with no head experience. I read where he went and talked to coach Ford and a few others for advice. But inevitably , it seems like he decided somewhere along the way that if he were going to fail, he was gonna fail giving it his all and doing things his way. And he did. He has put his stamp on many parts of the program. And I think he has tried to be a real representative of the university. Scandal is not something anyone would associate with Dabo. And I think he has embraced that clean slate huge opportunity by running with it in a very cerebral and spiritual way.

He always had a knack for recruiting but even since he started, the ability of the staff to hit on more than they miss on has even improved. Which has been very big. You can tell that he has done a great job recruiting with the proper atmosphere. It is like a family and the kids coming in and their parents feel it. The way he genuinely has good intentions for the recruits beyond football has become even more apparent.

The halftime Saturday at Miami, where he kept the team outside was not only an attempt to avoid confrontation but an oppurtunity seized. He used this as a stage to further demonstrate his desire to run a clean program and to lead the teams youth with the proper example. That was probably more meaningful for the program than the huge margin of victory. I imagine lots of mothers and fathers have those few tv seconds a great deal of thought. It might sway a few recruits who are on the fence in the minds of those parents.

Dabo was given a golden chance and hasn't wasted it. He has built a national power. I'd argue that even if we don't win it all, if you factor in integrity along with wins, Clemson is already a national champion.

Clemson was great for Dabo and Dabo has been great for Clemson. This perfect fit is why I doubt he will ever leave. I know he loves Alabama but I'm sure he knows that recreating this magic would be near impossible. This is a once in a lifetime great fit.

Clemson is now a football powerhouse . But more importantly, it's a destination for players looking to become better men, beyond football. And that has staying power.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nicely stated.***

Oct 26, 2015, 12:04 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i admit to being initially skeptical of hiring dabo.

Oct 26, 2015, 12:07 PM

and leaving freshman tajh on the bench while kp protected his baseball future made me more skeptical..but i had no idea what we had..now, i wouldn't trade dabo for any coach in the country..heyull, i wouldn't trade him for any coach that ever lived..i am so proud of the clemson program that i could bust wide open..winning the right way..go tiguhs!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Re: Dabo and the way he runs the program

Oct 26, 2015, 12:07 PM

Completely agree here. Dabo has made me so proud to be a Clemson supporter. Even when we lose we don't whine and complain like some other school in this state used to do.

Now what I really want to see is when Dabo makes a mistake if all of us fans will stick by him. There will be some small mistake and we need to back Dabo when it is hard to do so not just when it is easy and we are winning.

You omitted

Oct 26, 2015, 12:12 PM

His greatest attribute. His ability to make great hires on his staff. That is THE reason Clemson is on top!

Oct 26, 2015, 12:36 PM

Great post, Eye!!! Right on!!!
I was one of the relatively few who LOVED the hire from the start and NEVER EVER wavered with him. Seeing what's transpired over the years beginning with Hatfield, I ALWAYS had the sense and feeling with DS that it was and is "right". I always knew that he had IT and his plan and process would ultimately prevail.
Needless to say, A WHOLE BUNCH of people on here owe him an apology for ever doubting him. And let's not forget the guy who took the chance on him either. Thank you, TDP!!!

I Would Submit That Dabo Can Truly Run His Own Program

Oct 26, 2015, 12:44 PM

At Clemson, whereas if he were ever to go to BAMA he would be beholden to the big money donors. Also, very frankly, some of the talent egos that come with the kids you would recruit to BAMA are suspect. Dabo wins an NC here and he will get compensated very close to BAMA level pay. When Saban leaves his name will certainly come up but I think that dirty lying punk Kiffen will weasel his way in to the role.

Dabo, on his current trajectory, can truly become iconic and become the third part of Clemson's holy trinity...Howard, Ford and Swinney.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He will leave at some point.

Oct 26, 2015, 12:45 PM

Especially if he really wants an athletic dorm and gets into a fight with the AD about it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 26, 2015, 12:48 PM

Think about what he has done. He was a receivers coach for crying out loud. Never once has Dabo been recognized by the media for accomplishing what he has, based on where he started. Talk about being thrown to the fire. Before the ND game, I read one of the ND threads. They talked how much better a coach Kelly was, having won at Cincinnati another team before that(forget which one) and then ND. They said Dabo never could have won at the other 2 schools. Maybe, maybe not-but do you think Kelly could do what Dabo did. Being thrown into the fire of a mid season head coaching change at a major college football program.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,402
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic