Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo Question: IF he's not considered a good on-the-field HC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Dabo Question: IF he's not considered a good on-the-field HC

Jul 10, 2013, 3:46 PM

as far as making "learned", "gifted", "astute" or highly "correct" assessments or decisions during heated game events..say maybe as Saban or Spurrier or Myers are credited as being able to do. It's clear that at times that the opposing HC has skunked Dabo (and Staff for that matter) with a very astute decision that may have cost us a game (different than their having a better game plan).

We know that he's recently hired older or more experienced men as his OC or DC..and it's my opinion that he's taken the stance/role of being a CEO, Cheerleader, Mentor, Hands-Off Recruiter & HC in name.

"IF" this is a true assessment of Dabo's "on-the-field" abilities at this tenure of his career, then how does he gain this wisdom? More tenure, studying & copying other HC's who have a unique ability to coach from the bench, or just forget it and use others on his staff in a collaborating role.

What say you?!

gOTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo Question: IF he's not considered a good on-the-field HC

Jul 10, 2013, 3:59 PM

I'm trying to decide if this was intended to a serious post or satire. If serious where do you come up with this "stuff"?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2013, 6:10 PM

Couldn't be serious!

Seriously...where do you come up with this stuff?***

Jul 10, 2013, 4:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Jul 10, 2013, 4:01 PM

I think it is something that he can learn the question is how does he test his knowledge. Dabo is a gym rat, that is why he is good at everything he does. If he set his mind to it he could learn how to break down and beat a coach, but with his current coaches in place he also has to show them respect and let them call the shots on their side of the ball. Without the trust in crunch time why should they put the work in the rest of the day? I think he is better off applying his abilities to other areas where he can make a difference every day than spending time studying coaches when he may not get the chance to prove himself. If down the road he makes a wrong decision on a hire he can step in and call the shots. At that point you can only fall so far.

null

Do what now?***

Jul 10, 2013, 4:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

You answered your own question***

Jul 10, 2013, 4:04 PM

Jul 10, 2013, 4:13 PM

Not sure why everyone is questioning the OP so vehemently since it's pretty obvious that what he states is accurate. He didn't go get great coordinators and use his own money to help fund those acquisitions without realizing this himself. Not sure why everyone doesn't see this. So yes - really great game-day coaches are going to continue to snag those close games when decisions are critical.

I have no problem with the OP's statements.

To answer the OP's questions - this is only my guess:
Dabo is intense with an attitude to die for. His love of this sport is so obvious, it might very well be the key to his success. I've always believed that if you are this dedicated to ANYTHING, you can be successful at it. It's worked for me in everything I've ever done, and I see no reason that, given time, Dabo will become one of the best game-day coaches in the country.

Maybe I shouldn't tell Alabama this since they'll be wanting him in 5-10 years.

Jul 10, 2013, 4:19 PM

Sounds to me like the OP is repeating a lot of hearsay and baseless cliches one hears from E$PN. Dabo certainly coaches better than say, little Jumbo Fisher at the helm of free shoes U.

Yet, Fisher is "highly regarded" as a coach in E$PN circles.

Hogwash.

Re: Re: Dabo Question: IF he's not considered a good on-the-field HC

Jul 10, 2013, 7:56 PM

This is very simple!! I as a boss don't hire people if I have to do their job for them! Coach Morris=oc= runs the offense that Dabo hired him to run! Coach Vendables=dc= runs the defense that Dabo hired him to run.. kinda simple isn't it?

I'm still waiting

Jul 10, 2013, 4:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo Question: IF he's not considered a good on-the-field HC ]

for him to field a physical team. Blow people off the ball.
He managed that in one game last year, the LSU game.

As long as the chickens are manhandling us and ruling the line of scrimmage, Dabo is just another baptist preacher, football coach wannabee.

He does the praying thing and the sunday school thing well, but that's about it.

I don't see anyone lining up to hire Mr Swinney.

His record is marginal. He beat up on 8 or 9 terrible teams last year. WOW! Beat one good team. Let's see if he can "choir boy" his team into being physical for the entire season.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

AMEN, brother!!!***

Jul 10, 2013, 5:30 PM

nm

That's retarded. Are you retarded?

Jul 10, 2013, 5:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo Question: IF he's not considered a good on-the-field HC ]

Nobody has any backing whatsoever to say "Dabo isn't a good x's and o's coach". That's made up hogwash.

What does that even mean? Does it mean he can't call plays or defenses? First of all, his background is in offense - how do you know he can't call plays? Secondly, has there ever been any successful head coaches who didn't call plays or coach defense? Of course there has!

There is absolutely no proof to the gibberish you're spewing. Pretending you know it as fact does not make it so. The man was a walk on who earned a scholarship and played on a national championship team. He's been in coaching almost 20 years. Obviously he's played the game at a high level and has been learning football most of his life. He's seen and learned what it takes to run a successful program.

Even if he didn't know the difference between a sprint draw and a flea-flicker, that doesn't take away from his head coaching ability. As far as that head coaching ability, the proof is in the pudding. In case you haven't noticed, his head coaching and leadership have taken us to heights not seen around here in decades, and actually, rarely ever. That's all that really needs to be said. These are the facts.

Jul 10, 2013, 5:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo Question: IF he's not considered a good on-the-field HC ]

It's not obvious, it's an opinion. And his (OPs) comments / opinions are like a 3rd grader's.

The worst thing for Dabo to do as a new coach, would've been for him to fire the staff he inherited as a first time coach.
I'm sure he realized that, and what those consequences (firing everyone like a badass) could have produced in the coaching community. He likely would not have been able to hire anyone.
He got rid of the problem - "the mad scientist", got rid of his cancer - (Koenning) and started building his program.

OP? What is this, reddit?! UPVOTE!***

Jul 10, 2013, 11:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo Question: IF he's not considered a good on-the-field HC ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

It's annoying to read the quality of leadership that

Jul 10, 2013, 4:38 PM

creates a positive atmosphere and instills a sense of value and respect in a bunch of 18-22 year old men who are asked to work their collective backsides off be reduced to "cheerleading."

null

I think it's a misconception. People assume that

Jul 10, 2013, 4:58 PM

because he is such a great recruiter, and because he doesn't have a ton of experience compared to a Saban or "Myers", and because he has hired top-notch coordinators, that Dabo himself is not a very good x-and-o guy, or that he is not a good game-day coach or game manager.

There is no doubt that Chad Morris is a better offensive coach than Dabo. There is no doubt that Venebles is a better defensive coach than Dabo. Saban and Myer have a lot more experience on the big stage than Dabo. Dabo obviously prefers the role of CEO. NONE of that means that Dabo is not a very good x-and-o guy or gameday coach himself. It just doesn't follow.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I think it's a misconception. People assume that

Jul 10, 2013, 6:32 PM

Also, none of us actually know just how much input Dabo makes to his coordinators during the game or in the preparation. He may be making a lot of calls, or he may be making very few. If it's just a few, it's a sign that he is a great HC who can pick the right kind of folks to do their respective jobs. He already has shown that he is very willing to get rid of a problem when things don't work out. All those other successful HC's have made bad hires and had to fire folks who didn't work out. We have a very good HC at Clemson, but some seem to want him to fail so badly they just can't stand it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saban and Spurrier are so gifted that they got fired in the

Jul 10, 2013, 5:11 PM

NFL. Success on one level does not guarantee success at the next. However, they are smart enough to get the best players and coaches when they are not being hampered by some crazy athletic director or team owner. A general rule in management is that you strive to get folks at least as good or better than you to fill the ranks. Dabo does this well and makes corrections when necessary. Only a rookie or someone who is incompetent would have folks below them who can't get the job done and fail to correct the problem. Tommy Bowden's downfall was this exact problem.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Saban and Spurrier are so gifted that they got fired in the

Jul 10, 2013, 5:34 PM

as far as the op's question, it is very relevant. as far as jimbo fisher not being a good coach, he WAS an oc which dabo has never been. the reason he got the fsu job was because he was a highly reguarded oc and the reason fsu hired him and gave him the hc in waiting job. dabo DOES not have coordinator experience. if you own a company you better be able to run the machines. dabo I am sure is learning, but to get good oc&dc's you have to give them authority to run their side of the ball. so dabo keeps recruiting and makes a few decisions and learns on the job. if dabo was such a good offensive coach why did tb never make him the oc? yes it is a serious concern. name me one other program on the d1 level, at a school with as much history as Clemson, who has a hc that has never been a coordinator.

Fisher was OC under Saban

Jul 10, 2013, 5:50 PM

Saban's been fine, if not better without Fisher as OC.

Maybe Bowden didn't hire Dabo as OC because people would question the hire. Luckily, he hired the mad scientist, the people's choice (those with football knowledge - the kind that know what it takes to win football)

Spence was the OC when Tommy was fired. Had he made Dabo OC

Jul 10, 2013, 8:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Saban and Spurrier are so gifted that they got fired in the ]

he would probably still been the HC at Clemson. But no, he had to keep Spence around. Didn't take Syracuse long to get rid of him !

Danny Ford never was an OC

Jul 10, 2013, 10:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Saban and Spurrier are so gifted that they got fired in the ]

Many times a good OC or DC can not make at the Head Coach level. Danny was not respected until he won it all.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Saban and Spurrier are so gifted that they got fired in the

Jul 10, 2013, 6:33 PM [ in reply to Saban and Spurrier are so gifted that they got fired in the ]

Very well said, and very accurate! TU!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2013, 5:58 PM

lightbulbbill, good job! Contrary to popular belief around here, I don't actually hate Dabo. He brings a lot of positives to Clemson, but he is one of a handful of big-time program coaches who were hired as HC without serving a coordinator apprenticeship. It's kind of like being named the CEO of an industry when you know zilch about the methods and means of production. I'm sure he will gain more wisdom with experience, but there will continue to be some growing pains along the way. Good question and good thoughts, sir!!

Jul 10, 2013, 6:09 PM

He was in coaching for 15 years. A former player.
An Asst HC prior to becoming HC.

How does that = "like being named the CEO of an industry when you know zilch about the methods and means of production."

Jul 10, 2013, 6:37 PM

You are all over it!

Jul 10, 2013, 8:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo Question: IF he's not considered a good on-the-field HC ]

most all schools insist that a potential HC have coordinator experience instead of assistant head coaching experience.

Jul 11, 2013, 8:43 AM

We didn't, and I sure am glad. We have a very good one who wasn't a Coordinator, and we have had some lousy ones who had been (Hootie, Red Parker, Ken Hatfield, Tommy West to name a few that were much less than stellar).

If a frog had a shotgun he wouldn't fear a snake.

Jul 10, 2013, 6:14 PM

Dabo has played for one of Bama's great HC's so who thinks he hasn't been exposed to good coaching and tough gameday decisions and situations?

Folks want to think that SOS has Dabo's number when the truth is that Dabo has just this year matured his first full recruiting class. How about lets let up on Dabo? He's produced more and more for us each year.

Objectivity is everyone's friend.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a PhD.

Jul 10, 2013, 6:32 PM

And could not follow what in the hell you just said.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2013, 6:40 PM

have you got a few situations where he has made the wrong calls?

are you saying spurrier,saban etc. makes nothing but correct calls

I bet you could do it.

Bill, I've posted my views of Dabo several times, but for

Jul 10, 2013, 8:25 PM

the sake of responding again to this same question, you will recall the promotion and elevation of Dwight Eisenhower to the command of the allied forces in Europe.

Eisenhower was considered more of a CEO, than a battlefield commander, although he was involved in the planning and execution of allied strategy. He had the ability to manage a sometimes unwieldy assortment of subordinates into a cohesive force. Many of those subordinates were skillful battlefield tacticians, perhaps, much better so than Eisenhower. Yet, his ability to chose wisely, even allowing for occasional mistakes, produced the allied victory.

I see Coach Swinney developing much the same way: promoted quickly up through the ranks, making some mistakes in staff while choosing others wisely. I envision a grand strategy whereby he continues to set lofty goals, then work diligently developing the plans to accomplish those goals. That is why I have stated repeatedly that I do not believe he has to be a superior X's and O's coach...only a superior CEO.

Of course, the verdict is out; but, thus far, I believe he is working diligently to improve his own capabilities while furthering the grand strategy. He has made and will make mistakes on the field, but then, so did Eisenhower. It's the outcome of his efforts that's important. Honestly, I wouldn't compare him at this point to Coach Spurrier, because, like him or not, Steve Spurrier is a master of the game. But I see the making of greatness in Dabo Swinney...and unless he proves otherwise, I am ALL IN.

Well Guys...I got you thinking & appreciate your posts! IF

Jul 10, 2013, 9:49 PM

was the leading "word" in my post title..then in the statement I simply stated some premises..and asked your opinions. Some of you shot the messenger, while others had some valid & interesting thoughts & views.

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There have only been a couple of times when I have really

Jul 10, 2013, 11:06 PM

questioned Dabo's gameday decisions.

Recent memory: he chose to run out the clock (40 seconds or so, we were around midfield and had a could timeouts) before half time against GT

The 2009, 11 and 12 games against USuC. Where do I even begin. Not running the ball right at clown-whatever in 2012. Same in 2011...running the ball. Matter of fact, what was our gameplan for that one? 2009, we were the better team on both sides of the ball. What happened? Gameplan?

Needless to say, had Dabo been coaching UGA in the SEC Championship, I think Dabo would have managed the clock much better than Richt.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic