Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo Not Right Fit for Tigers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 66
| visibility 1

Dabo Not Right Fit for Tigers

Jun 19, 2019, 9:46 PM

I think davidhood nailed this one. It's really a shame Texas had Muschamp "locked up" at the time.

https://www.tigernet.com/story/Commentary-Dabo-Not-Right-Fit-for-Tigers-7601

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for posting this....

Jun 19, 2019, 10:05 PM

no on and I mean no one could know.

there was no way to know.

How could they?

What evidence was there?

No way to know!!

Dabo was the only answer and no one could know.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wrong...lots of fans knew from day one that Dabo would be

Jun 19, 2019, 10:23 PM

more successful than Bowden. Granted, we were thinking 10-win and a few BCS games success, but lots of people knew we’d be better off. On the other he, there were the DH’s who did their best to run him off. Hopefully they learned they know nothing about coaching football and even less about what actually goes on inside a program.

Did you read the article? David Hood wasn't saying Dabo

Jun 20, 2019, 9:11 AM

wouldn't be successful, he was saying the fans wouldn't be patient enough if Dabo was hired. He said message boards would light up if the team struggled at all, but if Clemson hired a "big name coach" fans would give them more time. He wasn't saying Dabo wouldn't a great fit for Clemson, he was saying fans wouldn't give him a fair shake.

What part of that article didn't prove to be true?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

There were LOTS of people who knew.

Jun 19, 2019, 10:25 PM [ in reply to Thanks for posting this.... ]

But generally only those of us who knew him personally.

In fact, he wouldn't have been chosen except for the fact that people intimate with the program KNEW he had what it took to take us to "the promised land."

The fact that he WAS chosen is proof enough that people knew, because if they weren't confident that he was the real deal, they wouldn't have stuck their necks out for such as "ridiculous" choice.

I think that people who knew him felt very strongly that

Jun 19, 2019, 11:46 PM

Dabo was special and had what it took to be an exceptional coach. There is no doubt in my mind that TDP believed this. I knew a big Alabama supporter who also knew Dabo from his days there, and he told me when Clemson hired Dabo to expect big things from him and that Alabama would regret letting Dabo get away. Still, nobody, outside of Dabo himself, expected or predicted the heights to which our program has risen.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Dabo Not Right Fit for Tigers

Jun 19, 2019, 10:17 PM

DAAYUUUM.......I missed that article. Glad Terry Don missed....or ignored.....it.

I do, however, seem to remember plenty of negative sentiments by Mickey Plyler about Jack Leggett.
These guys that write are just like us: They have two armpits and one......opinion...that sometimes stinks and sometimes doesn't.

Thank you for resurrecting this. This is when I stopped

Jun 19, 2019, 10:19 PM

liking DH. Now he rides Dabo’s coattails and pretends this never happened. Lol.

Pretends what never happened?

Jun 20, 2019, 9:29 AM

He said Dabo would be successful. He was right. He said fans wouldn't give Dabo the benefit of the doubt at the first sign of adversity like they would give to a coach with more experience. He was right.

If this article made you stop liking David Hood, it's probably because it made you uncomfortable as a Clemson fan. Because what he wrote was spot on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

No it's because he read the headline and never actually

Jun 20, 2019, 11:50 AM

read the article.

GO TIGERS!!

Jun 19, 2019, 10:26 PM

Some comments in that thread alone show how crazy of a time that was

Jun 20, 2019, 12:32 PM

Speaking of those comments, what ever happened to KNIGHTIGER? I recall seeing him posting all the time back in the day, but nothing for over 3 years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2019, 11:16 PM

If you haven't already, give Larry Williams's Clemson Dubcast a listen. His latest interview is with Coach Tommy Bowden himself. Really good stuff, with Coach seemingly being very open and honest.

I credit Bowden with getting Clemson to think and act like a football school again, with emphasis on facilities and resources.

I also believe Coach may have been victim of self-limiting beliefs (such as Clemson should be happy winning 9 games a year and that they'd never be able to consistently complete with FSU).

We are lucky that today's BOT and University leadership are so supportive of the football program. It absolutely was not that way during the Lennon / Bobby Robinson era.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2019, 8:45 AM

There was discussion here for a year or two prior to the CTB firing about Dabo. Apparently he had made quite an impression when serving on the Academic Review Committee. That plus the recruits he was able to get probably got him a look for HC even without the coordinator experience everyone seemed to think was necessary.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The fact that Dabo even lets David Hood hang around the

Jun 20, 2019, 9:04 AM

program now proves that he doesn't hold a grudge. Those of you who scour the archives, was there ever a mea culpa followup from The Hood later on admitting he was wrong? Or did he hope it would just fade away like an old Lamecock car flag?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What was he wrong about?***

Jun 20, 2019, 9:12 AM

Re: What was he wrong about?***

Jun 20, 2019, 12:11 PM

I would say Dabo has been just about the rightest fit Clemson has ever had. So, straight from the title of the article, Hood was wrong. Now, he did a tremendous job of hedging his bets later on in the article. I just in general do not like "Click Bait" article titles of which this was certainly one. I find David Hood's stuff in general to be very good. He has grown a lot in the reporting job since then.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Straight from the article itself...

Jun 20, 2019, 12:32 PM

"Nothing [Dabo] has done or said over the past two months has showed me that he is not ready. If he gets the permanent job, I will be very satisfied that Phillips has made the right hire, the man that will take the Tigers to the next level."

Sometimes you have to look beyond "the title of the article" to understand what indictment the author is making, and everything he said in the article has proven to be true.

Jun 20, 2019, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Re: What was he wrong about?*** ]

So you didn't read it then

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2019, 12:58 PM

Not only did I read it, I will stack my powers of reading comprehension up against anyone on this board, any day. The truth of the matter is, Hood wrote an article title stating an opinion, and then proceeded to write a different article entirely. He never at any point backed up his title with WHOSE opinion it was supposed to be, or why he chose that title, which did not fit what followed. But, you can call me wrong or anything else you want, I have wasted my last ink on this thread with this reply. You have your opinions, which you are entitled to, just as I am entitled to mine.

ps,
In the article, David said he did not think the Clemson fanbase could take another season of struggle like the ones we had under Bowden. Obviously we were able to take it, and more, because success under Dabo was NOT instantaneous. D. Hood sold the fanbase short. We are still here.

Would you say your powers of reading comprehension are

Jun 20, 2019, 1:07 PM

stronger than those of the average American male?

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Headlines are written for clicks, not to be descriptors

Jun 20, 2019, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Re: What was he wrong about?*** ]

and often the authors do not write the headlines.

ps
He did not sell the Clemson fanbase short. After his 2nd season the fanbase was incredibly divided and many, many fans were calling for both Dabo's firing and TDP's firing. To say anything else is revisionist history. Even in the midst of losing 5 in a row to UofSuC people wanted Dabo fired.

Jun 20, 2019, 9:27 AM

Well you have to read the article... he doesnt bash Swinney, he said he would be a great head coach... it is more that he thought it was an impossible situation for him to succeed in because the fans wouldnt be patient enough with someone tied so close to Bowden.
However, Spiller came back, we won the Atlantic for the first time and Coach Swinney was able to put some patience in the bank that helped him through 2010 season.

David Hood

Jun 20, 2019, 9:28 AM

Tigernet would be a pretty dreary place without the content provided by David Hood. Sadly this board is saturated with bloody stupidity and abject childishness much of the time. Fortunately Hood is able to provide us with some actual news to make the site interesting. He was obviously off on his prediction for Coach Swinney, but so were a great many other people. I believe he offered his apologies the last time this particular post was brought back. Enough already. Time to move on.

I would say he was spot on with his prediction and has

Jun 20, 2019, 9:33 AM

nothing to apologize for

If you read it, then you're guilty of bloody stupidity...

Jun 20, 2019, 10:12 AM [ in reply to David Hood ]

your words, not mine - davidhood® was damn near spot on, picture perfect.

Or, did you just knee jerk the title, typical abject childishness, and guilty yet again of that which you've accused in others?

David supported Dabo, thought he would be successful, he was clearly calling out the idiots/quackers in Clemson's fan base.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I rest my case.

Jun 20, 2019, 10:22 AM

It is ironic that while my post complimented and defended David Hood, you skimmed right over that part and became triggered by my opinion about the state of the board in general and made a knee jerk response. One can only assume that what I said struck too close to home.

"He was obviously off on his prediction for Coach Swinney"

Jun 20, 2019, 10:26 AM

Care to elaborate what part he was wrong about?

Re: "He was obviously off on his prediction for Coach Swinney"

Jun 20, 2019, 10:35 AM

David Hood gave my post a “Thumbs up” so maybe you should ask him.

Like this one?

Jun 20, 2019, 10:43 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wonder if David Hood knows

Jun 20, 2019, 10:56 AM

That he just, probably inadvertently, joined the reach around gang?

I’ll wager that he doesn’t.

I don't know, still hoping he fights your fight for you...

Jun 20, 2019, 10:57 AM

you've no chance on your own.

“On my own” ? RAG on my friend. You’re the best.***

Jun 20, 2019, 11:06 AM

Yes, I am - the best.***

Jun 20, 2019, 11:11 AM

Cheers, we finally agree, you are the best at what you do!***

Jun 20, 2019, 11:17 AM

Besting idiots such as you isn't much to cheer about...

Jun 20, 2019, 11:22 AM

but thank you just the same.

Is David coming to defend your honor, what little of it you have left?

It's OK, I've embarrassed far brighter people than you, and if you're not, you should be - crying for help on your knees as you are.

See, now that was weak. You just wanted the last word.

Jun 20, 2019, 11:31 AM

Granted. ??

He also gave dsp's post a thumbs up, what's your point?

Jun 20, 2019, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Re: "He was obviously off on his prediction for Coach Swinney" ]

You made the comment "He was obviously off on his prediction for Coach Swinney" so why can't you answer what he was off about?

Because I'm far more "honest" here, than dhood "can" be...***

Jun 20, 2019, 11:01 AM

Re: He also gave dsp's post a thumbs up, what's your point?

Jun 20, 2019, 11:04 AM [ in reply to He also gave dsp's post a thumbs up, what's your point? ]

My post complimented and defended David Hood. I like David Hood. Meanwhile, my post was critical of “the board” and you were triggered - that’s what made you respond. I didn’t all you out by name, but you saw right through it all. Well played.

So either you can't answer the question or you don't

Jun 20, 2019, 11:08 AM

want to answer it because you were wrong...got it.

I don't normally do this, but I'm feeling generous today and will give you another chance because I may have been typing too fast for you to follow along. Let me type it slower this time...

"He was obviously off on his prediction for Coach Swinney"

What about his prediction was off?

I just awarded you a “thumbs up” for persistence

Jun 20, 2019, 11:15 AM

It’s a hallmark of your group and I have to reapect that.

??

And it appears I was being generous with "bloody stupidity".***

Jun 20, 2019, 10:30 AM [ in reply to I rest my case. ]

You are a lipped wanker who is banned frequently as result

Jun 20, 2019, 10:33 AM

Bugger off ...

And you're easily confused by the English language...

Jun 20, 2019, 10:36 AM

including your own.

Run along now, give RTMacRae a nice wet one for me.

"lipped wanker"

Jun 20, 2019, 11:40 AM

LMAO
He got you good on that juan.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Not sure what that means.

Jun 20, 2019, 11:56 AM

Need to consult my “Brit Slang” dictionary.

Re: Not sure what that means.

Jun 20, 2019, 12:07 PM

Aha! Must be a typo.

I found “Lippy Wanker” ... basically defined as someone who is extremely pretentious and talks too much.

Of course there were also much more coarse and vulgar definitions, but I’d like to think that the above was intended.

I dunno.

Nah, we kicked the shyatt out of them in a couple wars so

Jun 20, 2019, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Not sure what that means. ]

there's no reason to look up their sissy slang terms. They personify weakness.

I misread at first and thought she said

Jun 20, 2019, 12:13 PM

whipped yanker and was confusing DSQ with cutigerbob®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Misread? Seems pandemic; you should have that checked.***

Jun 20, 2019, 12:17 PM

don't call out posters***

Jun 20, 2019, 12:22 PM [ in reply to I misread at first and thought she said ]

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

He’ll be losing...

Jun 20, 2019, 12:23 PM

POTDs soon.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

You and your friends best be knocking it off or

Jun 20, 2019, 12:30 PM

I'm gonna bump 'youknow waht'

D Hood is one of the many reasons I donate.***

Jun 20, 2019, 10:54 AM [ in reply to David Hood ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Jun 20, 2019, 9:38 AM

It didn't hurt Dabo that the players loved him and were vocal about it. More than half the battle is getting the respect of the players.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2019, 10:46 AM

i can think of another Clemson assistant coach who had widespread player support and went on to be rather successful.

Maybe players should be consulted more often in HC-hiring situations.

Jun 20, 2019, 10:03 AM

Thanks for posting this article.

David Hood does not really say anything negative about Dabo in this article. But he was clearly wrong in his judgement that Dabo would not get a fair shake at Clemson because people/fans will not be happy unless Clemson made it to a New Year's Bowl. Dabo DID receive a fair shake and was hired. But you cannot blame someone for being wrong.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you signed up

Jun 20, 2019, 10:19 AM

on the tnets in 2016, but had you been here in Dabo's 2nd year you would not have posted this. Everything David said in that article came true. Fans were NOT happy and wanted him fired.

When TDP hired & then did not fire Dabo later, 2010ish, "they"...

Jun 20, 2019, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo Not Right Fit for Tigers ]

went for Terry Don's head, hoping to have TDP fired instead. It was ugly, including a perceived dead-man-walking meeting, many believed was TDP's last as AD and one step closer to the next AD showing Dabo the door.

Terry Don stood firm, thank goodness, the rest as they say... history.

The internet is littered with that trash; if interested, do yourself a favor & go rekindle some of those amazing times, or not, I don't blame you if you don't.

Have a good day.

Jun 20, 2019, 11:23 AM

After Dabo's hire, the boards were filled with anti-Dabo and Terry Don Phillips posts. I would venture to say there are quite a few on this board who were among that group but unwilling now to admit it. The Tiger boards were filled with comments such as: "He has never been a head coach", "He has never even been a coordinator", "Why didn't we hire a name coach", "We've got to spend money to get a name coach", I'm not going to support IPTAY", I'm not renewing my season tickets", etc, etc, etc.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2019, 1:51 PM

So all three of you (GWP, Deadsol, Joe) make it clear that DH was not off the mark and that the fans WERE truly unhappy at that time.

Still, after reading the article I wish the title would have been "Hire Dabo no matter how the fans react" or something like that. I would have appreciated the article a lot more if it concluded with "let's hire Dabo for the right reasons and not worry about the fan base reactions" because it is clear from the article that DH believed that Dabo had potential and would find success in his career. That would have made David Hood legendary! Of course, no one in their wildest dreams could have predicted the success Dabo's had.

In any case, I understand your position and wish all of you a very pleasant day. David Hood, if you are reading this - I truly enjoy reading your articles - keep up the good work.

What? Bob Stoops was gonna ask Vince Lombardi to be our special teams coach?

Jun 20, 2019, 12:42 PM

No wonder Bob didn’t get the job. Vince was dead a decade ago. What a moran!

~JKB

Lots of people not actually reading the article here***

Jun 20, 2019, 1:13 PM

The incessant whining about that article going up the day

Jun 20, 2019, 1:21 PM

before the SC game is so Tigernet. Some things never change.

There were 79 responses to David Hood that day in 2008

Jun 20, 2019, 1:55 PM

Interesting that virtually no one who has a strong opinion in this thread today bothered to respond back then.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2019, 1:55 PM

Ok, so while I dont understand why this board has become so mean spirited at times, Hoods article was not that off the mark although it ended pretty dang well. As for me, I believe I discovered Tnet the week before Wake that year. I was in Iraq at the time and had very limited internet. STILL darn near heard the clamor and uproar in Al Annar province after the Wake loss; the potential candidates being bandied about like Kiffin, Bobby Johnson, and others, while people were saying Dabo Who? Then came the GT game which while we lost, I think many of us saw something there with CDS. Others ARE correct though. After a Bowl loss to go 6-7 against USF, the blowout against Uncle/Daddy U, and the 5 bomb, even while winning BCS games, there were still people complaining. So yeah, that was real. In my opinion it took the 1st Dabo title win to finally silence the last of those critics. Just my .02 cents, and you can disagree, but you would likely be incorrect.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 66
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic