Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo Intentionally Had Secondary Play USUCK Soft to Trick
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Dabo Intentionally Had Secondary Play USUCK Soft to Trick

Jan 14, 2019, 11:32 AM

ESPN and Bammer into thinking they could throw against us. No other explanation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I said that was the worst defensive playcalling I'd seen...

Jan 14, 2019, 11:34 AM

from Venables. I had no doubt he was messing with people's heads including our secondary.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I said that was the worst defensive playcalling I'd seen...

Jan 14, 2019, 11:35 AM

All I know is it is hard to believe it was the same defense

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I said that was the worst defensive playcalling I'd seen...

Jan 14, 2019, 12:26 PM

Really it wasnt the same defense; we rushed 3 all night; Ive not seen that the whole season. It gave Bentley time to pick apart the secondary. It was weird that he was still doing it in 2nd half. Had to be decoy.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dude..did you watch the game? it was 42-21 at end of 3rd qrt.

Jan 14, 2019, 11:54 AM [ in reply to I said that was the worst defensive playcalling I'd seen... ]

Scar scored 0 in the 3rd when clemson shut the door on them

Clemson's back ups come in on offense and fumble. Clemson's back ups on D give up a pretty easy drive.

Clemson left the starters in for a good bit longer in the bama game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Dude..did you watch the game? it was 42-21 at end of 3rd qrt.

Jan 14, 2019, 12:05 PM

Then our Backups need a LOT of work from now till GT.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dude..did you watch the game? it was 42-21 at end of 3rd qrt.

Jan 14, 2019, 12:28 PM [ in reply to Dude..did you watch the game? it was 42-21 at end of 3rd qrt. ]

We were playing a lot of backups the entire game. It seemed that Nolan Turner played the entire game at Safety. He was all over the field and when Bama had it 4th and goal he was in the backfield with Clelin to tackle Tua. Nyles Pinckney, Xavier Thomas. James Skalski, Chad Smith were all on the field early as well. This was a game that showed our depth on defense and if anyone looked at playing time in the first half they will realize Clemson's defense will be a top 5 unit again this fall.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was all part of a master plan to fool Bammer and fool the chickens

Jan 14, 2019, 2:02 PM [ in reply to I said that was the worst defensive playcalling I'd seen... ]

into wasting that $eC network money on giving Muschump an extension and a raise. It worked to perfection.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo Intentionally Had Secondary Play USUCK Soft to Trick

Jan 14, 2019, 11:40 AM

I think it was just a combination of being the last home game for most of our defense, knowing the game wasn't in question, being the biggest game of the year for South Carolina, Deebo actually being really good, and our secondary taking a few too many chances.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2019, 12:13 PM

What I find absolutely hilarious is that I saw Deebo Samuel play harder than probably any player in the NCAA during their game against us. That kid was playing as hard as he could, as if it was the first drive of the national championship on every play. They were down 56-35 with 10 seconds left in the game and he was still running at full speed and fighting as hard as he possibly could to get downfield.

And then, after all of that, he doesnt even attend their bowl game!

What a punchline. Its utterly hilarious, that he would fight that hard in a game and earn the reputation over his college career as the hardest working member and best team player of the entire coot team, only to do the laziest and most selfish thing possible and not even attend his last bowl game.

THAT right there perfectly sums up the typical coot mindset.

In fairness to Deebo, people actually watched us play UofSuC

Jan 14, 2019, 12:31 PM

and NFL scouts come to Clemson games. You think they were showing up to the Belk Bowl?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2019, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo Intentionally Had Secondary Play USUCK Soft to Trick ]

I think he attended he didn’t participate

Jan 14, 2019, 11:43 AM

Towards the end of the season and the SC game I started telling my hubby that Brent and Dabo were sandbagging. I was certain. I don't ever remember a year when every time you saw Brent he was grinning like the cat that swallowed the canary. He Knew!

Jan 14, 2019, 11:46 AM

I considered that this morning myself . The games against Pitt , ND and Bama were polar opposites .
It's not abad strategy if that is indeed the case . Probably gave Jake Benchley the idea he could maybe get us next year if he had that good of a showing in 2018 .

DB23

Yes to stop the run we convinced every one that we could

Jan 14, 2019, 11:48 AM

not stop the pass. Baited bama into 2 ints.

Saban was beaten. He looked lost. He was down and gave up before the half was over...took a knee with time and 3 timeouts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2019, 11:51 AM

I’ve said this to many of my former football coaching buddies and they agree. We called it a “bait game”. If we knew there was little to no chance of losing to an opponent, we would sometimes run all sorts of unsound stuff just so our real opponent down the road had it on film. If it’s on film, you gotta rep it. Thought this from day one. There were simple things that Venables could’ve easily adjusted to in the Gamecock game but refused to do so.

Jan 14, 2019, 12:02 PM

I don’t think that was the case. Usc were using formations they haven’t used all year. They had linemen in the flats lines up at wide outs. They had wide receivers on and off the line of scrimmage trying to hide he who was eligible and who wasn’t. There best receiver got flagged for being a ineligible receiver down field. They were able to confuse us on some of there long tds.

Jan 14, 2019, 12:06 PM

Carolina was not a threat to run the football. Venables could’ve easily taken Lamar out and put Nolan Turner in to add another DB, but didn’t do it. He stayed in a base 4-2 the entire game.

Jan 14, 2019, 12:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo Intentionally Had Secondary Play USUCK Soft to Trick ]

Carolina was not a threat to run the football. Venables could’ve easily taken Lamar out and put Nolan Turner in to add another DB, but didn’t do it. He stayed in a base 4-2 the entire game.

Jan 14, 2019, 12:12 PM

Tre Lamar didn't even play against USuC. We didn't have our defensive qb getting the calls and formations and relaying to everyone where they needed to be.

Jan 14, 2019, 12:22 PM

I stand corrected. Venables could’ve took out one of the Davis boys. Either way, the premise is still the same, and it’s something Venables has done in the past.

Jan 14, 2019, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo Intentionally Had Secondary Play USUCK Soft to Trick ]

It took a while to get used to, but Dabo has become a master at managing a 15 game season. Our first 15 game season in 2015 resulted in our starters limping into game 12 at Willy B. We didn't do a good enough job of resting our starters (and developing depth).

In 2016, we rested a bunch of the starters in early games and did not run Deshaun. When it got time to play teams that challenged us, we called the games different and left starters in longer.

Unfortunately, managing a 15 game schedule does not always correlate with beating the Gamecocks 100-0 like most fans want, including myself. it was clear after the Bama game that we had different blitz packages and coverages to contain throwing teams. Why use those against the Gamecocks when we can still beat them by 21 and not tip off Bama and Notre Dame as to how we may play them.

Ultimately, I chalk up these defensive performance as us beating them with half of our playbook. The Gamecock D was not able to stop most of our vanilla plays, but kudos to the Gamecocks for being able to take advantage on offense.

I also think the gamecock game was a little bit of an issue with effort. Clemson is at a point where we have a hard time taking them seriously. Tommy Bowden said it was extremely hard to get the team to take the game seriously after we kept running streaks against them.

After we scored on the Wilkins toss, the entire team celebrated like it was over. Shoot, so did the fans in the stadium. They Gamecocks took advantage and quickly scored, but after a halftime tongue lashing Clemson held them scoreless until we started to put non-starters in.

After it became clear Muschamp was trying to run the score up to "show progress" we put some starters back in , but they were already mentally checked out. it is what it is. I'm glad we have bigger fish to fry on a 15 game schedule.

Jan 14, 2019, 12:06 PM

This has to be the answer. And if true, is coaching on another level.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2019, 12:11 PM

Whether or not it was a planned strategy by Venables and staff, It gave the staff an opportunity to develop a strategy for the championship if Alabama should use that game in their offensive plans.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2019, 12:19 PM

Go back and watch the USCjr game. I really believe it was the coaches not getting calls in fast enough for the secondary to set up. They are looking to the sidelines either right before ball is snapped and sometimes as ball is snapped. I think ##### tried to hurry up and exploit it.

See what you think

And that being said - Coach V is the man!!!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2019, 1:40 PM

Agree with Chuck above. They did some stuff they hadn't done all year. They obviously prepaired for us all season, and even off season, long. This was THE game of the year for them, wanted to avoid the 5 in a row, and eventual 5 plus, at all costs.

For us, it's always an important game, but we had bigger fish to fry.

Jan 14, 2019, 3:18 PM

I do not know if that strategy was employed or not. Might have been just a matter of having a slightly less effective defensive night than usual. In the end, it does not matter. It had the effect of making our secondary look to be a weakness. I am sure Alabama saw it as a weakness they could exploit, which did not appear to work too well for them. In any case, I find it hard to care after having witnessed the most dominant season our team, or any team, has ever experienced. It is not like the game against Carolina was even close, in spite of giving up so many yards. Second guessing the manner of play should be reserved for seasons that are not perfect from a win and loss standpoint. They dominated every single game that Trevor Lawrence was the starter after Syracuse which he was injured. They dominated even in the ACC championship, and both playoff games. The fan who made the "it felt like a loss" statement was an idiot. If this season did not, as a fan, leave you totally satisfied, please find another team to pull for, because you are too hard to please. If any players or staff read this....Job well done!!!!!

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic