Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
DW4 when he arrived at Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

DW4 when he arrived at Clemson

Oct 11, 2018, 1:12 PM

When DW4 arrived at Clemson for his freshman season in 2014, according to 24/7 he came in at 6'3" 200 lbs. Most of us thought that he wasn't physically ready for the beating that a duel threat QB would have to take at the college level. In honesty, he really wasn't, and he got pretty beat up his freshman year behind our then O line. He came back in his sophomore year heavier and much stronger, and he continued to get stronger and heavier, and the rest is in the history books of how he would lite up the score boards through out his college career at Clemson, and to date he has been the best QB I've ever witnessed in my 55 year as a Tiger FB fan!!!

Fast forward to 2018, and now we have Trevor Lawrence as a freshman coming in at 6'6" 215 lbs, and he looks to be very skinny for his height of 6'6" 215 lbs, and I'm thinking that when I hear Dabo speak of TL being ahead of DW4 when he came in, I'm wondering if he is actually talking about weight wise. If it is weight wise, TL is way under QB playing size for the type of offense that we run at Clemson. And thinking in those terms, I really believe that our coaches better be careful with the designed QB runs called for TL bc, he doesn't have enough muscle on his tall 6'6" frame to take the beating that running QB's has to absorb during a season. I'm sure they will get him on a workout plan to gain weight and muscle at the same time, but isn't that usually impossible during the active season. I'm hoping that if TL can get through this season without any major injuries. I hope that he can come back next season at around 230 lbs if that's possible. I think he would be a better QB for us physically, the same way the weight and muscle helped DW4 to be the following season after he recovered from his injuries, in the following season. What do you think, and is it even possible to get a 6'6" college athlete to gain 12 pound of muscle in a off season program. I'll hang up and listen!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with you.

Oct 11, 2018, 1:17 PM

I think you’re spot on. I can’t add much to that.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DW4 when he arrived at Clemson

Oct 11, 2018, 1:26 PM

Trevor is slim but a lot of it has to do with toughness too. He is not that tough bc he never had to be (not getting hit/sacked much in high school). Trevor also tends to hold the ball too long and thinks too hard before he hands off the ball to the RB. All those things combined will get you smashed. So even when he adds weight next year he has to develop quicker decision making (to avoid the contact) and develop some toughness (for when he does draw contact he plays thru it).

He's 6'5" 215lb playing behind a sometimes suspect OL, well just imagine being 6'5" 163lbs playing behind one of the worst O-lines in cfb aka James Blackman at FSU. LOL. BUT I will give it to James he is very tough.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2018, 3:23 PM

A couple things..

On one hand, TL looks a little more "built" than DW was when he first arrived. TL is lacking a bit in weight, but he clearly has a very muscular frame, something that DW didn't have at all.

But you're correct in that it would serve him well to add 12-15 pounds.

And yes, that's VERY possible with the right nutritional/workout plan.

Oct 11, 2018, 3:36 PM

The weight factor aside, I think DW4 was much more elusive. I don't see that elusiveness in TL - at least so far; but let's give him time. I am sure that he and the coaches are working on that aspect of his game.

Oct 11, 2018, 7:38 PM

At 6'6" he will never be what we think about when we hear elusiveness. I mean he does move well for a guy that is 6'6", but he will never have quick enough feet to be elusive!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honestly the offense needs to be a bit different with TL

Oct 11, 2018, 8:02 PM

at QB. Not just this year but for as long as hes the starter. Let him roll out and scramble when its there but the read options, RPOs, and designed keepers need to be used much more sparingly.

That seemed to be the plan at Wake. Whether it was due to TL coming off the injury or something they plan to continue doing we will see.

This times a thousand!!***

Oct 11, 2018, 11:02 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Oct 11, 2018, 8:08 PM

The SOB that TDed the post, grow a pair and say why. If you TDed bc you don't like me, that makes you key board coward, and that's the worst kind bc it also means you're a hoooomoooo!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

Oct 11, 2018, 6:28 PM

He weighed more than 215 at team weigh ins before the season, don't remember what it was though. I think he originally came to Clemson at 215.

He will fill out a lot more this next off season.

Oct 12, 2018, 2:23 AM [ in reply to Re: DW4 when he arrived at Clemson ]

^ voted and it says 50% so it was one

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Those recruiting sites never get height/weight right

Oct 11, 2018, 8:35 PM

DW was around 175 as a freshman.

Here's a pic of him and Morris on "move in" day.

Re: Those recruiting sites never get height/weight right

Oct 12, 2018, 2:10 AM

You're right, I thought it was below 200, but I can't remember that far back!!!

He was 204 lbs

Oct 12, 2018, 2:46 AM [ in reply to Those recruiting sites never get height/weight right ]

https://www.tigernet.com/story/football/The-Big-Weigh-In-12885

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2018, 8:51 PM

He will put on at least 10-15 lbs. Shouldn't be hard at all with Clemson's nutritionist helping him.

Oct 12, 2018, 2:28 AM

Peanut better like one of our players did before the combine

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Oct 21, 2020, 8:19 PM

I agree that Deshaun was considerably below 200 lbs. his freshman season as
jbrock11 pointed out. HittingBallsMakingLaws also made a good point that Trevor has a muscular build, so on top of being heavier than Deshaun, he is carrying his weight differently than the more slender framed Deshaun. One thing that is more important than gaining weight, in my view, is strength/toughness as CUFirstLady mentioned. I'm not implying that Trevor isn't tough, but I'm confident that the plan the strength/conditioning team has for him will result in improvements in that area. While gaining additional weight can have its benefits, we must keep in mind that it could also have unwanted effects on his movement. Trevor isn't fast, but has good quickness on the field for his size. Gaining 15 lbs. more could adversely affect his quickness, which we would not want in situations when he needs to move in the pocket, or roll out of the pocket.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Great post, although I seem to remember hearing that DW4

Oct 11, 2018, 11:08 PM

was 175-185 range when he arrived as a freshman. From that perspective, Trevor's 215 is much better, even for being a few inches taller than Deshaun.

This brings up an important point though, and that is our offensive philosophy of running the QB a lot. I know that a running QB allows for an extra blocker, gives the defense something else to defend against, etc., but it seems stupid to run the QB when it greatly increases the chances that you injure your most important player. It's not like we are lacking in running back talent. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with our QB scrambling if necessary, but designed QB runs seem dumb when we can hand off to Etienne, Feaster, Choice, Dixon, et al, or pass to Higgins, Renfrow, Ross, etc.

So even if Trevor bulks up to 240, I still don't want us calling designed runs for him. The risk-reward ratio is not in our favor. It's not worth risking championship aspirations over.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Great post, although I seem to remember hearing that DW4

Oct 12, 2018, 2:17 AM

Absolutely, I believe that the only running TL should be doing, is to the chow line trying to pack on some weight that he can turn to muscle!!!

DW showed up to clemson at 180-185***

Oct 11, 2018, 11:47 PM

Oct 12, 2018, 10:07 AM

Would be nice to see Trevor in the 230 to 240 range. Just to fill out his frame and make him a little more durable to hits

Oct 12, 2018, 10:30 AM

Watson was much closer to 185 than 200 when he came in. He really didn't touch 200 until his sophomore year.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic