Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
DW4 has saved Bill O'Brien's job
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

DW4 has saved Bill O'Brien's job

Dec 15, 2018, 11:54 PM

Now the fortunate HC who talked up Tom Savage last year needs to return the favor and draft some O-linemen and Renfrow in 4/5/6th round this Spring. DW4 is still learning the NFL game, but beyond Nuk, the GOAT is on his own and somehow still finding a way to pull these games out literally from the seat of his pants. And the crappy Jets brought it today, as their Defense and Sam Darnold continue to slowly improve.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah I was laughing listening to the announcers

Dec 15, 2018, 11:59 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah I was laughing listening to the announcers

Dec 16, 2018, 1:09 AM

Yeah, 3 winning seasons before Deshaun showed up as well as a playoff win and yet they were "floundering."

One of these things is not like the other

Dec 16, 2018, 12:59 PM

Re: One of these things is not like the other

Dec 16, 2018, 1:36 PM

but 6 (4 - 2) of those 2017s are like those 2018s.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DW4 has saved Bill O'Brien's job

Dec 16, 2018, 12:09 AM

Without a doubt, he owes DW4 many TY's!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Texans are desperate for a good slot WR

Dec 16, 2018, 12:10 AM

Renfrow would be an awesome pick.

http://www.espn.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/71904/texans-turn-to-tes-and-even-qb-joe-webb-with-slot-wrs-depleted

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With Wes Welker on the staff, HR13 would benefit big-time***

Dec 16, 2018, 12:12 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2018, 1:08 AM

Before O'Brien came, the Texans were 2-14. After he showed up the Texans had three straight winning seasons. Last year, they dealt with a lot of injuries (including Watson). I don't think O'Brien is an amazing coach, but he isn't awful either and Deshaun Watson is not the reason he is still coaching. Deshaun Watson could not read a blitz to save his life today. Yeah the line is bad but Watson didn't do himself any favors. He played good at the end but not for the majority of the game. (And that's not all on him) If some, not all of y'all, actually paid attention you'd see that.

I say this as a die hard Texans fan and not as a hater

Very objective, rational post.

Dec 16, 2018, 1:33 AM

A lot of posters here seem to think that all former Clemson stars are the victims of awful coaching and poor game planning. I’ve read this regarding C.J. Spiller, Sammy Watkins, and plenty of others recently, to justify those players not putting up all-pro numbers.

While Deshaun is an incredible player and has definitely made the Texans a better team, I agree with you that O’Brien is a solid coach and doesn’t deserve a lot of the criticism he receives here.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I've posted several times that the largest part

Dec 16, 2018, 5:45 AM [ in reply to Re: DW4 has saved Bill O'Brien's job ]

of my family are Texans living in and around the Houston area.

Those who are Texan fans regularly rave about Deshaun, but rarely rant about the coaching staff. One close cousin, who was a Texas high school football coach, has made some of the same comments as yours, although he remains highly complimentary about DW. Hence, I tend to watch the actual field play and let others comment on the coaching.

I think Deshaun is continuing to develop his skills in the NFL, knowing there is room for improvement.

Is the take-away

Dec 16, 2018, 7:06 AM

That Tom Brady saved Bill Belichick, too? I'm not disparaging DW4 in the least, but wasn't it O'Brien who moved up to grab him, when others passed him by?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is the take-away

Dec 16, 2018, 11:30 AM

O'Brien was the main reason that the Texans moved up to take him. But my point is that some people on here try to act like they regularly watched the Texans before they drafted DW. It's fairly obvious that most people on here don't know that O'Brien was doing fine before Watson showed up. They are just Clemson homers that are extremely biased, which is fine. That's how it's supposed to be when you have die hard fans for a team. And don't get me wrong, Deshaun has been amazing and he's the best quarterback the Texans have ever had. I'm just saying that people on here need to stop acting like there's only 3 other good players besides Watson. I know this is going to push some people off but he has not been playing great these past 2 games. He's been ok, but not spectacular.

You do realize

Dec 16, 2018, 12:29 PM

DW4 has essentially only now completed one full NFL season as a starter, right? So, his mediocrity these past two games goes with the learning curve. Still, if you know his history, he learns, adapts and presses forward. His record as a starter, with an ACL recovery mixed in, playing behind a line that's porous as Swiss Cheese is rather remarkable...certainly less Savage than before he took the reins. The evidence after his injury is rather telling, too.

Fans are what they are, but you don't really serve any good purpose coming on a Clemson forum and bashing Tiger fans for supporting their 'favorite son'. Heck, it would seem Texans fans would be quite pleased to have a new contingent of fans following the team.

Cheers...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is the take-away

Dec 16, 2018, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Is the take-away ]

DW hasn't played great many games this year as well as at Clemson but he is a winner and plays great when the game is on the line.

Watson is a winner and

Dec 16, 2018, 1:34 PM

Dec 16, 2018, 1:29 PM

Coutee has been very good just was hurt for a while. They upgraded the secondary some in the off-season. Part of DWs prob getting sacked is that they run play action a lot when nobody is biting on it and they run a lot of down field routes. Yes the line needs improving for sure but some of it is bad play calling. Another reason he should thank DW4 tho lol. He can turn a bad play into a great one. They need a solid running back to stay healthy but it's hard to do when the line does not block well.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic