Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
DRad says ACC getting aggressive for a network (link)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

DRad says ACC getting aggressive for a network (link)

May 4, 2016, 8:16 AM

Some strong and encouraging words from our AD about the prospect of an ACC Network in the near future.

DRad's tone seems like the schools are getting fed up with Swofford's moving at a snail's pace regarding a network and they are finally acknowledging the revenue gap. Kudos.

As much as we criticize DRad, he's a heckuva businessman and could very well be using Clemson as a stepping stone en route to replacing Swofford (which may be sooner rather than later given the UNC scandal dating back to Swoffy's days and the awful tv deals that WILL catch up with him especially now that North Carolina is quickly losing its grasp on the growing conference). Dan would be a great commissioner with no real ties to any ACC schools other than pay checks.

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index.ssf/2016/05/acc_feeling_sense_of_urgency_for_network_partnership_with_espn.html

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ABS ... Anybody but Swoffy.***

May 4, 2016, 8:28 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you serious?

May 4, 2016, 8:48 AM

Ha. You pulling my leg! (Signed John "Bozo the Clown" Swofford!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DRad says ACC getting aggressive for a network (link)

May 4, 2016, 10:18 AM

Very interesting. TBH, I never even considered D Rad for ACC commish, but that could work.
(Just don't try to take Babcock away from VT!!!)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Radakovich definitely has the resume and clout

May 4, 2016, 10:31 AM

In the world of college athletics, he's very well respected (more so than at Clemson). But he understands the business of the college athletics landscape.

Him being on the CFP Committee is worth more than it may seem on the surface. He's rubbing elbows weekly with the most important people in college football and is surely making new allies.

He's been around the ACC and even the SEC. His understanding of the business side of college athletics is evidenced by not only his commitment to facilities and salarie at the schools he's been at, but in the undertone of his recent interview about a network. He gets it. Plus he doesn't have a son at Raycom.

Re: Radakovich definitely has the resume and clout

May 4, 2016, 2:48 PM

Compare Mike Slive's and Dan Radakovich's resumes (I know Sankey is the current commissioner but he has spent 15 years in the SEC offices and is as much Mike Slive's product as the conference itself) and get back to me. Slive was an attorney, a judge, and commissioner of two conferences before joining on with the SEC. DRad is a career syncophant with no significant accomplishments of his own. We (the ACC) got our brains beaten in by the SEC because Slive was always playing chess to Swoffords checkers. DRad has done nothing to suggest he is capable of playing at that level.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

The ACC doesn't need a lawyer/judge. Are you suggesting we add a court show as original programming?

May 4, 2016, 4:00 PM

The ACC doesn't need someone with a legal background.

Mike Slive AND Greg Sankey were brought on board in the SEC because of the myriad of issues amongst the member schools' inabilities to follow rules. They were essentially janitors. Both have very strong backgrounds in compliance and infractions. They've done somewhat of a decent job in cleaning up the acts of the goings-on in the SEC compared to when they arrived. That's all good and well, but the SEC is still dirty and we all know it. The SEC's championship run wouldn't have been possible if the programs were squeaky clean, so it seems that Slive and Sankey have merely excelled in covering up (protecting their assets). Those assets performed the necessary tasks selling a product, but in all honesty struck gold (rather TV gold). Cramer shaped the SEC into the progressive force it became, but the programs were dirty.

Swofford spent 3 years at UVA, then 20 at UNC before becoming commish. Hardly a resume worthy of commisioner status. We all know how this has worked out. It doesn't even warrant the time to list all of Swofford's shortcomings.

But how could you even call DRad a syncophant when he DGAF what anyone else has to say. The man is going to do what he wants and he's good at it. He has a financial background with 30 years experience in athletics at 5 FBS schools. We need a leader with an unbiased view for the future. That's what Radakovich brings to the table. He's well respected with a delegative mindset. He is forward thinking and isn't hands-on to the point where he's the only one that makes decisions (a la Swofford). Yeah, he spends money on facilities, but it's with an eye on the future. He's innovative. He'll #### people off if he needs to in order to fulfill his vision (THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE OF A SYNCOPHANT). You don't have to like the man for him to steer the conference in the right direction FINANCIALLY. He has negotiating skills or he wouldn't be trusted in the position in which he finds himself currently. We also don't need a Slive/Sankey who'd previously commissioned the likes of defunct or struggling conferences before getting their "big break." The ACC should be at the top of the food chain in college athletics, but we're falling behind quickly due to revenue. I think a businessman is more suited for this job than an infractions consultant (UNC, Louisville, Syracuse aside...their actions have no bearing on tv money).

Can you name someone more qualified at the moment?

I also firmly believe Swofford is the root of instability in the ACC

May 4, 2016, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Re: DRad says ACC getting aggressive for a network (link) ]

Each year, schools outside of Chapel Hill, NC are growing more weary of his actions.

His ineptitude is becoming more evident. His bias is omnipresent. His negotiating skills are severely lacking. His leadership is definitely being called into question more and more.

I don't think the commish should be an alum of a member school.

May 4, 2016, 10:27 AM

I just realized that swofford has a UNC degree, but probably never had to attend any classes to get it. So we have a commissioner that has a questionable degree? Why can't the ACC get rid of this clown?

May 4, 2016, 10:28 AM

ANYONE BUT SWOFFIE

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ESPiN turned in losses in two consecutive quarters.

May 4, 2016, 10:46 AM

The SEC Network deal was a big contributor to the losses according to the reports. The deal we need isn't being offered. I have no idea how this plays out but if ESPiN continues to lose money I wouldn't expect to get close to what we need to close the revenues gap with anybody by signing a contract with ESPiN.

It seemed to me we were leaning toward something on the web.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he wasn't worthless as a business man

May 4, 2016, 10:47 AM

we'd already have a network. Instead of looking out for the conference, he made sure his son could keep his job at Raycom.

I guarantee any TV deal will have to include the ACC Digital Network, which is owned and operated by Raycom and overseen directly by Chad Swofford.

The elder Swofford has consistently been better paid and done less than the SEC commissioner while keeping his own interests at heart.

As was mentioned on the Hokie message boards, I think ESPNN

May 4, 2016, 11:29 AM

Transitioning ESPNews to an ACCN would be a likely route. Definitely more profitable than creating an entirely new network plus ESPNews is deadweight for Disney. The only way to fix that problem would be to add substance (a la an ACCN) or to kill ESPNews altogether.

By adding or subtracting an entire channel, Disney would have to renegotiate carriage rights, but a transition to a more profitable outlet wouldn't make those renegotiations necessary until contracts are up. Especially if the new entity brings better content. ACC baseball/basketball/football/Olympic sports vs SportsCenter loops in an age where news is literally more accessible at our fingertips?

You can bet member schools and their administrators are in talks with each other, possible expansion schools, and even ESPN. The possibility of a "coup" toward Swoffy isn't out of the picture given his shortcomings in managing 15 schools and their livliehoods (heck, he couldn't even manage his alma mater in an ethical way). Now more than ever the ACC could be in a do-or-die situation.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic