Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Player Update: Swinney thought Hopkins needed another year at Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Football Player Update: Swinney thought Hopkins needed another year at Clemson

Jan 11, 2013, 2:36 PM

Swinney thought Hopkins needed another year at Clemson

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coach Swinney is bias personified?

Jan 11, 2013, 2:38 PM

Who knew?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

biased toward his players being successful in the NFL is fine.***

Jan 11, 2013, 2:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Darn near perfect statement...

Jan 11, 2013, 2:58 PM

Dabo knows that Nuk deserves respect and accolades, while also wanting to be the recipient of his talents via Clemson Football wins.

With all that said, Dabo really does ooze appreciation for his players who have been the cornerstone of his own success. He is not ashamed to be homers for them and that is something to really love about Dabo.

I think he is as genuine as they come. I don't think he is being totally self serving. He really does see things in the correct perspective.

I am not saying that Dabo sometimes sees the glass as half full when it isn't or that he doesn't stick with players out of personal loyalty too long when they are not getting it done on the field (Kyle Parker). However, he still exhibits the right mix of loyalty and 'get it done' mentality.

He has not been shy about firing and hiring when things are not working. That is a good thing. He is not afraid to pull the trigger. And when Sammy had his issue, he didn't waiver on him. But if you are a good, hard working SOB, Dabo is going to have your back at all costs.

Love that about him and pray every day for his success as a result - regardless!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coach Swinney is bias personified?

Jan 11, 2013, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Coach Swinney is bias personified? ]

right now its a crapshoot on what round Nuk will end up being drafted in, and you can never be too polished for the nfl.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Always wants what's best for his players which is not always

Feb 24, 2013, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Coach Swinney is bias personified? ]

the desire for a lot of head coaches.

Imagine that, the coach of his current team wishes he was

Jan 11, 2013, 3:02 PM

staying with his current team. Shocker.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understand Swinney's thought process...

Jan 11, 2013, 3:03 PM

but what does Nuk have left to prove or what could he differently to improve his draft stock next season?

His numbers would most likely decrease (assuming Watkins resurgence) and he really could not do any better than he has done. I guess he would have more publicity and Preseason All-American status/Bilenitikoff front-runner.

This reminds me alot of Randall Cobb and his choice to go pro as a Junior at Kentucky. He could've come back and done the same deal, but not improved his stock because of the NFL's pickiness in players. He is undersized (accoridng the the NFL) and those guys get looked over, but if youre a gamer, then youre a gamer...plain and simple. Of course Cobb didn't have Boyd as a QB (that may have changed his mind).

It worked out for Cobb and will for Hopkins also.

Not really thrilled with this statement.

Jan 11, 2013, 3:12 PM

Why state that he's not a first rounder Dabo?

I think he was being honest but come on. Dabo should be trying to help Nuk not trash him.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

He is echoing what Nuk's draft report stated

Jan 11, 2013, 3:31 PM

Not giving his personal opinion.

He said he'd taken him in the 1st rd - what's your beef?***

Jan 11, 2013, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Not really thrilled with this statement. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cullen Harper & DeAndre McDaniel showed why Dabo is wrong.

Jan 11, 2013, 3:26 PM

Dabo has too much conflict-of-interest and I think it hurts his credibility with the players if he really told Hopkins that he should stay. Dabo is the only person whom I've heard say that Hopkins would be better served by staying another year.

Cullen Harper??? Really???***

Jan 11, 2013, 3:39 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No doubt. Harper was damaged goods post 07 BC anyway

Jan 11, 2013, 3:42 PM

we all know he was never the same after getting hurt that night.

Cullen Harper's draft status dropped from junior to senior.***

Jan 14, 2013, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Cullen Harper??? Really???*** ]

You think Dabo lacks credibility with the players?

Jan 11, 2013, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Cullen Harper & DeAndre McDaniel showed why Dabo is wrong. ]

He loves the players and wants the best for them and he honestly believes, like I do, that Nuk is deserving of a first round spot and if most services are saying that he is most likely second round he wants Nuk to stay to see if he can get a higher rank next year.

I don't see how this is a conflict of interest. He's come out and stated that if he thinks the kids are getting a lower rank then they deserve they need to stay another year. Worked for CJ that's for sure.

You don't see a conflict of interest? Wow! None? Really?

Jan 14, 2013, 11:12 AM

We don't know if returning worked out better for CJ or not. Maybe. Maybe not. He lost a year of salary and a year of NFL pension and a year of being able to leave his draft team for a team that would utilize him better. Where would he have been drafted after his junior year for how much less money?

I don't have a link to any article but if I remember

Jan 14, 2013, 1:10 PM

correctly, CJ was projected at best a late first to early 2nd round choice after his junior year. He was drafted with the 9th selection so i would say it helped him tremendously financially not to mention he got to spend another year in God's country while playing football and being the Big Man on Campus!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you ever think that maybe just maybe

Feb 24, 2013, 1:35 PM [ in reply to You don't see a conflict of interest? Wow! None? Really? ]

some of the guys stay because they actually like it here? Maybe they don't want to leave their family. Maybe they love Clemson and love running down the hill on Saturdays and aren't ready to give that up yet

There's more to these guys lives than money

My word. Do you enjoy making a fool out of yourself?***

Feb 24, 2013, 1:39 PM [ in reply to You don't see a conflict of interest? Wow! None? Really? ]

CJ seems perfectly happy so what's your beef?***

Feb 24, 2013, 2:10 PM [ in reply to You don't see a conflict of interest? Wow! None? Really? ]

Re: Cullen Harper & DeAndre McDaniel showed why Dabo is wrong.

Jan 11, 2013, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Cullen Harper & DeAndre McDaniel showed why Dabo is wrong. ]

Glad you have it all figured out.

Hopkins, I, and everybody but Dabo have it figured out.***

Jan 14, 2013, 11:12 AM

Is Mel Kiper considered part of "everybody"?

Feb 24, 2013, 1:46 PM

"Kiper told reporters in a conference call he is of the opinion Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd and receiver DeAndre Hopkins should return for their senior seasons in 2013."

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20121211/PC20/121219860/1038/espn-s-mel-kiper-clemson-s-tajh-boyd-and-deandre-hopkins-should-stay-for-senior-seasons&source=RSS

You simply do not comprehend the game well, and you make stuff up to compensate. Please stop making a fool of yourself.

Re: Cullen Harper & DeAndre McDaniel showed why Dabo is wrong.

Jan 12, 2013, 12:30 AM [ in reply to Cullen Harper & DeAndre McDaniel showed why Dabo is wrong. ]

You are a d@mn idiot...Did you know that? And h3ll yea this is a personal attack...McDaniel was still coveted after his senior season in the draft and Cullen Harper, really? Geezus

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

McDaniel coveted after sr. year but undrafted. I'm the idiot***

Jan 14, 2013, 11:15 AM

When somone tries to use Cullen Harper to solidify a weak

Feb 24, 2013, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Cullen Harper & DeAndre McDaniel showed why Dabo is wrong. ]

argument, then you know they're desperate.

Apparently that dude doesn't care about looking desperate, and like you said, an idiot.

DMac's issue was related to speed... Did Dabo make him

Jan 12, 2013, 2:29 AM [ in reply to Cullen Harper & DeAndre McDaniel showed why Dabo is wrong. ]

slower?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DMac would have been drafted higher after his stellar jr. yr

Jan 14, 2013, 11:19 AM

Even with his speed issues.

You shouldn't post speculation in the form of definitive

Feb 24, 2013, 1:41 PM

statements. It doesn't win arguments and makes you look desperate.

Nope...FSs with no range don't get drafted...Speed would

Feb 24, 2013, 3:08 PM [ in reply to DMac would have been drafted higher after his stellar jr. yr ]

have always been an issue with dbs...You're only fooling yourself...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cullen Harper wouldn't have been an NFL QB

Feb 24, 2013, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Cullen Harper & DeAndre McDaniel showed why Dabo is wrong. ]

if every QB in the NFL retired on the same day

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see a problem with this statement

Jan 11, 2013, 3:33 PM

Dabo is:

(1) Reinforcing his personal philosophy on going out early, which is that if you're not projected to be a solid first-rounder, you should stay;

(2) Echoing Nuk's draft report which said something like as high as late 1st round or 2nd round; as we all know (Dwayne Allen), draft reports are often inflated;

(3) Not slamming Nuk at all by repeating facts;

(4) Giving him full support, as he's already stated in a prior quote, and saying Nuk will be not just good, but great.

I think y'all are not reading the context of Dabo's words very well.

Re: I don't see a problem with this statement

Jan 11, 2013, 4:01 PM

Seriously what is everyone's problem. Dabo is right. The kid could probably improve his draft pick A LITTLE by staying one more year and EVERY coach would love an extra year with their star players. Remember just a little improvement in draft stock could mean millions, that's a pretty solid reason wait a year. Plus the NFL is boom or bust, they don't sit around and try to develop you for years, you either make it or you don't. Once he leaves he can't come back to Clemson to get another year of practice.

Re: I don't see a problem with this statement

Jan 11, 2013, 7:51 PM [ in reply to I don't see a problem with this statement ]

Agree

absolutely nothing wrong with this statement.. and those who

Jan 11, 2013, 3:37 PM

who are complaining about it are just looking for excuses to bash Dabo.

Had Danny Ford said it, it'd be "Tell 'em danny" or "right on Danny"

Dabo simply said that he'd rather have Nuk than not have him... i think we all feel that way. but also said that he wishes him the best of luck and knows he'll be a great pro, etc.

come on guys!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Player Update: Swinney thought Hopkins needed another year at Clemson

Jan 11, 2013, 3:50 PM

The folks who can't see this are blind with hate for Dabo and need to be ignored/dismissed.

Nothing wrong with Dabos statement/opinion, except hes wrong

Jan 12, 2013, 2:43 AM

Nuk did and should've left

Looks like we have a bunch of Gamecock fans on this board

Jan 11, 2013, 6:27 PM

Seriously, why are you people bashing Dabo for speaking the truth. Losing credibility amongst his players? You must be a Gamecock fan if you "actually" believe that.

"Dabo should be trying to help Nuk, not trash him." -- WOW, the man gave the boy a scholarship and has helped him get this far, he just felt Nuk doesn't have a high enough draft stock. Nuk is still under the radar. He wants the BEST for his players, only a Gamecock fan or a bandwagon Clemson fan would not be capable of seeing this. His players LOVE him...

Nuk's in the right place

Feb 24, 2013, 2:29 PM

Feeling it

always support your players

Feb 24, 2013, 2:46 PM

No need to say anything at all.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive