Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coyotes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 51

Coyotes

Nov 22, 2018, 4:54 PM

Have you guys seen an increase in the numbers of coyotes down there like we have up here? They are now in all 100 counties in NC, and it's not uncommon to see them in broad daylight in cities and towns. My wife was walking my 18 month old Plott hound Smoky yesterday when she saw a coyote sitting on the other side of our pond, watching her. Smokey surged at his leash, and the coyote turned and trotted off. We often hear them howling after dark and early in the morning. They will eat pet food left outside, and kill small pets and have attacked children too. We had two such incidents last year. Both coyotes were killed, and neither tested positive for rabies. People need to stay vigilant as this is a problem that seems to be getting worse by the year.
The wife said she felt safe with Smokey, and I doubtt the coyote wanted to try concludiond with him, but they have been known to lead dogs into ambushes, one coyote flees from the dogs right into the main pack.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saw my first one around 97-98. Now we see them all the time.

Nov 22, 2018, 5:01 PM

Especially in fields when you’re running a tractor, they let you get really close. And it’s surprising how close they are to houses. And you’re right, it’s crazy to hear them at night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Coyotes

Nov 22, 2018, 5:04 PM

Go to a local restaurant and ask for the old grease they’re going to throw out. Then go and buy several of the big square yellow sponges like you wash a car with. Soak sponges in grease for two days. Put sponges out where you spot coyotes. Or talk to a farmer you know and ask for some Timic. Mix a half a teaspoon with a pound of ground beef. Both methods will work. You’ll not find the ones that eat the grease sponge. The one that eat the timic laced beef will drop within ten feet where it was consumed. Good look.

Nov 22, 2018, 6:24 PM

Go to a local restaurant and ask for the old grease they’re going to throw out. Then go and buy several of the big square yellow sponges like you wash a car with. Soak sponges in grease for two days. Put sponges out where you spot coyotes. Or talk to a farmer you know and ask for some Timic. Mix a half a teaspoon with a pound of ground beef. Both methods will work. You’ll not find the ones that eat the grease sponge. The one that eat the timic laced beef will drop within ten feet where it was consumed. Good look.

DO NOT DO THIS!!!

Not only will you potentially kill a coyote, you’ll also kill any opossum, skunk, fox, raccoon, etc. that finds it first. It’s also illegal and immoral.

Coyotes are here to stay. If you have one that is an actual problem, you can trap it or shoot it. The regulations are very lax in most states. For instance, you can shoot a coyote 24/7, 365 in SC probably pretty similar in NC.

Nov 22, 2018, 7:17 PM

Is there something wrong with killing any opossum, skunk, skunk, fox, etc.? Sounds like a win-win.
Now if it were any of the upstate sea turtles or shore birds, then of course it would be disastrous.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Lots of dogs/pets around too!

Nov 23, 2018, 1:22 AM

They will eat the sponges/poison just like a coyote will. Bad idea!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lots of dogs/pets around too!

Nov 23, 2018, 11:13 AM

What good is a skunk ? Killed all

Re: Lots of dogs/pets around too!

Nov 23, 2018, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Lots of dogs/pets around too! ]

Most states require restraining of pets. If the owner neglects their animal its the owners fault for the animal dying not the property owner. Hth

Nov 23, 2018, 11:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Coyotes ]

Oh god a peta freaky just kill the #### things

Nov 22, 2018, 7:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Coyotes ]

204 Ruger works better and is legal.

Nov 22, 2018, 5:07 PM

we have them in the woods behind our house. can hear them howling at night. run in packs usually. they killed our neighbors ducks he had in around a small pond he had. have seen a couple in broad daylight. no small animal safe around them. they are everywhere!

Had considered moving to Lake Keowee for retirement

Nov 23, 2018, 1:28 AM

But not interested in mixing coyotes with either my lab or future grand kids. Sounds like a zombie movie.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 22, 2018, 5:13 PM

Rarely see 2 together during the day but at night packs of 10/12 or more. This tells me they are pretty smart and won't run as a pack during daylight hours. Becoming a real problem in the foothills and saving up for a night vision scope.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Nov 22, 2018, 5:15 PM

Here in Columbia, the chickens is the only thing here with rabies, and making loud clucking noises, nothing like a howl. The Rosters don't even crow anymore, they now cluck and peck dirt with the Hen's!!!

Nov 22, 2018, 5:16 PM

I have not seen Coyotes, but we have griffins down here in Florida. suckers are huge.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dude Nothing Like The Ligers We Have Here in Texas

Nov 23, 2018, 11:24 AM

Basturds gotta go 600lbs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 22, 2018, 5:22 PM

My wife saw a coyote in our neighborhood last year while we were walking. She hasn't walked on that street since then. There are several nearby neighborhoods that have reported their small pets missing, but nobody can confirm that the coyotes are getting them.

I lost a cat to one a couple years ago

Nov 22, 2018, 5:26 PM

coyotes are smart they like moving in around people

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 22, 2018, 5:28 PM

True story the only time I’ve seen a coyote in person was driving home one night from Clemson. Right after you take a right beside the cemetery.

It was literally just standing on the side of the road watching cars drive by.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Nov 23, 2018, 7:45 AM

Have killed 5 from deer stand this year in Lugoff Can hear them at nite

Nov 22, 2018, 5:39 PM

Coyot­es are a way of life here in my Colorado neighborhood. Sad to say we did lose one cat to them. Additionally, came face-to-face with a bobcat under my front deck this past summer, and a 400-pound male bear was at our bedroom door on our back deck two summers ago.

Message was edited by: ColoTiger66®

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how did you get the bear on the scales?***

Nov 22, 2018, 7:23 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coyotes are killing a lot of cats

Nov 22, 2018, 5:44 PM

Here in my neighborhood in Charleston. Was a huge issue this summer.

Re: Coyotes are killing a lot of cats

Nov 22, 2018, 7:33 PM

Same in Eastside neighborhoods in Greenville. Getting small pets particularly if you let pets out at night. Guess they will help with the ferral cat problem.

Outdoor cats are as much of a problem as the coyotes are***

Nov 23, 2018, 6:39 AM [ in reply to Coyotes are killing a lot of cats ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Insensitivity speaking...

Nov 22, 2018, 5:45 PM

Coyotes have to eat too. We see/hear them on our little farm here in Upstate SC. However, I hunt in West Texas every year and they are abundant there. The other animals tend to adapt to them.

Re: Insensitivity speaking...***

Nov 22, 2018, 8:30 PM

Nov 22, 2018, 6:27 PM

They're everywhere now. My dad told me there was one running in our yard in broad daylight a month ago. It worries me because I have ducks and chickens out there.

If you see one, shoot it. They're a complete nuisance to everyone here. They're basically giant rodents, breed like crazy and eat anything. My coworker says they come into his yard every night and try to get to his farm animals and he just sits there and shoots them every chance he can with no hope of them letting up in numbers.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 22, 2018, 6:49 PM

The first thing they try to do is eliminate other predators, especially gray and red foxes. This is thought to be to eliminate the competition, rather than outright predatory behavior.

My wife applied for a grant to grad research in 2005

Nov 22, 2018, 6:53 PM

Had a Clemson wildlife prof willing to work with her. The grant was to study the impact of coyotes on states wildlife and their presence in urban areas. The state decided to decline her research proposal and instead funded skunk research citing that coyotes were not an issue on the state. She countered that they were not only present but an impending problem. Oh well..

null

Re: My wife applied for a grant to grad research in 2005

Nov 22, 2018, 7:28 PM

Can’t stand those things they are extremely aggressive and kill small animals epically deer fawns. Shoot them every time I’m given the chance.

Nov 22, 2018, 7:33 PM

Yep, they are everywhere. Shame they don't eat coots.

Nov 22, 2018, 7:48 PM

We can all thank the fox pen owners for this nuisance we will never get rid of. They pay for coyotes and release them in their fox pens for the hounds to hunt. Of course they get out and reproduce and that is why we have this problem. SCDNR has done nothing, to my knowledge, to stop this. Laws were passed but dishonest people pay no attention to laws. Arrests need to be made and this practice stopped but it won't happen with the present state of affairs at SCDNR.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2018, 1:53 AM

Buy coyotes for a fox pen that will eventually escape and kill native species and you can be fairly sure that nothing will be done about it. Get caught leaving the water with a fish that’s not quite long enough and risk loosing your boat, truck, rods, and going to jail. I’m all for conservation and have never been busted for illegal fish, but it seems to me like SCDNR has their priorities mixed up.

I live in a very densely populated area of Greenville.

Nov 22, 2018, 11:16 PM

In a neighborhood, lots of houses and lots of traffic. No real woodlands or farm lands anywhere nearby. Reports of coyotes are not unusual in our neighborhood. This summer, I was enjoying a fine cigar on our front porch late one evening. I heard a what sounded like a strange snorting and growling in the darkness. I muted the tunes just as a coyote trotted right into the yard about 20 feet away. It appeared he was headed to our small koi pond, probably for a drink. I jumped up and clapped my hands and he turned around and scurried away. About a year before that, the lady that lives behind us had one stare her down in her driveway as she let her dog out to pee about 6:00 in the morning. She got the dog back in the house but the coyote did not run and was obviously not afraid. Quite a few outdoor cats have disapeared around here recently as well.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I’ve seen plenty in and around Columbia

Nov 22, 2018, 11:30 PM

Nov 23, 2018, 12:10 AM

They are a non-native species that is heavily impacting wildlife in SC. I have a 200 acre farm near Clemson and they are bad here. We trap them every January and February. We shoot every one we see during deer season but I’m still overrun with them. A recent study that tracked 25 fawns with tracking devices found that all 25 were killed and most were taken by coyotes. The deer population in SC is down significantly because of them. That is one reason SC started requiring the tagging of deer to reduce the amount taking from hunting. I rarely take a doe anymore as they are all needed to keep up with fawn losses.

Coyotes are in ATL.

Nov 23, 2018, 12:33 AM

The people that kill them, are making the problem worse in the long run.

Coyote packs have what's called responsive reproduction. They will take roll call and when a member is missing, the dominant female (the only female that is allowed to bred) will respond by having larger litters, or even, more frequent litters.

You kill one, she's gonna have 2-3 more than a normal litter size...by design.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coyotes are in ATL.

Nov 23, 2018, 12:50 AM

Read the same thing recently about responsive reproduction. Something out of a sci fi movie.

They at the beaches too, Sullivans and IOP.

Nov 23, 2018, 12:50 AM [ in reply to Coyotes are in ATL. ]

Read the same thing recently about responsive reproduction. Something out of a sci fi movie.

They at the beaches too, Sullivans and IOP.

Nov 23, 2018, 4:41 AM

Too bad we can not get the feral pigs and the coyotes to go after each other. That would solve two problems in the Santee swamp area. Now we also got the rats on the half shell problem too. I could at least hope they might go after the fire ants.

Nov 23, 2018, 7:42 AM [ in reply to Coyotes are in ATL. ]

Kill as many females as possible. Track down their dens in spring and eliminate the litters.

Heavy trapping has proven to be successful in areas. The same location with the 25 fawns being lost was heavily trapped for one year. The next year the same experiment with fawns was repeated. Survival rate was better than 70%. Population control of coyotes and easing of hunting pressure on does will help stabilize the herd population.

if someone with a gun attends a responsive meeting

Nov 23, 2018, 10:12 AM [ in reply to Coyotes are in ATL. ]

And determines and then shoots the dominant female, will that not take care of part of the problem. At least until the next meeting when a new dominant is determined and rinse and repeat

I knew a girl like that once***

Nov 23, 2018, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Coyotes are in ATL. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I live on a lake with geese. Lots of geese

Nov 23, 2018, 6:15 AM

If you can trap a couple coyotes, tmail me and I will take them. It’s a large wooded lot, I will see to their accommodations and they will have plenty to eat. When they are done, I will return them

Re: I live on a lake with geese. Lots of geese

Nov 23, 2018, 7:45 AM

You would have better luck with coons and bobcats. They will take the young geese and also destroy the eggs.

Nov 23, 2018, 7:07 AM

Find an open clear cut in the woods...get a bottle of hooch or bourbon...rifle...and some distress calls and light them up...that’s the only way we can nutralize them on my property here in GA...we’ve killed about 20 in the past 3 years. Tried the poison and every stray or neighbor pet within a 3 mile radius was getting into it...Predator calling is the best way.

Good luck and stack as many of those ######## up as you can.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Nov 23, 2018, 11:05 AM

Don't see them but I am not in the countryside that much. The hunters say if they field dress a deer in the woods the coyotes show up in no time. A neighbor ( I live in downtown Columbia) says she saw a coyote with a cat in its mouth here in town , which is more urban and bolder than I would have thought they woukd go.

They can make some strange noises at night.

Nov 23, 2018, 11:29 AM

One time I woke to the sound of kids screaming outside my house.
I shot out of bed expecting to see my neighbors house on fire.
Turned out is was a pack of coyotes yipping and wailing.

I've been in my backyard at night a heard a pack yipping and heading straight toward me.
Man that will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck!

Replies: 48
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic