Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Courtyard Marriott Clemson cancelled my room for A&M game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 7,259

Courtyard Marriott Clemson cancelled my room for A&M game

Jun 21, 2019, 8:55 AM

When the 2019 schedule came out, I booked a room for 2 nights at the Courtyard Marriott in Clemson through hotels.com. They listed the rate for $130/night. Of course, that’s a great price for a gameday weekend so I booked it.

Last night, I got an email from the hotel manager that they were unwilling to honor the booking, and instead were going to transfer my booking to the GSP Courtyard or GSP Fairfield Inn. Because sloughing me off to a hotel 45 minutes away from Clemson is ridiculous, they tried to make things right by offering a shuttle service to and from the “stadium area” (no specifics on where that might be). They have 3 regularly scheduled shuttles from both of those hotels running to the game.

I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but when I come to the games, I tailgate. The amount of stuff that I bring to the game (cooler, folding tables, folding chairs, canopy, etc) would probably fill up one of their shuttles. Plus, since I can’t trust them to keep their word to honor the price on the hotel room, how can I trust them to honor any kind of arrangement regarding transportation.

Now I don’t know if this was a calculated business decision to sell the room I would have booked to Aggie fans coming in to town at 4-5X what they’d listed the price as, or if it was an honest mistake and somebody forgot to block off the gameday weekends until they could set their inflated rates, but either way they should have honored the price of the booking as listed.

I would imagine they are trying to do this with their entire hotels.com inventory for this weekend since they have 3 shuttles scheduled (each way), from both of those 2 hotels. So who knows how many people are also affected by this.

Now I hate being negative, but since many of you also love to tailgate, put a lot of time and effort into planning your visit, and travel from out of town, I wanted to make you aware that the management of the Clemson Courtyard Inn guys are sketchy and won’t honor your booking if you get a good price.

I’ve booked a new room at a non-Marriott property, so I’m set for that weekend. However, it’s pretty unethical for them to try shenanigans like that. Buyer beware...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is terrible...sorry! Thanks for the heads up +1***

Jun 21, 2019, 9:02 AM

Re: That is terrible...sorry! Thanks for the heads up +1***

Jun 21, 2019, 10:28 AM

Thought you booked with Hotels.com

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Courtyard Marriott Clemson cancelled my room for A&M game

Jun 21, 2019, 9:11 AM

got the same email.

Agree, they should honor their original offer.

Pi$$ customers off and they tell everyone that will listen. Furthermore, they will walk and never come back.

Jun 21, 2019, 9:18 AM

I figured they probably did it to a ton of people. I did the chat thing with hotels.com and gave the tier 1 customer service guy all my information. They said they’d escalate it to their marketing manager who would investigate. I’m doubtful anything will come of it, but maybe if enough people complain about how egregious this is, they’ll punish them somehow?

The customer service guy also offered me a $75 coupon for a future hotels.com booking (can use at any hotel. I had to ask for a concession—they didn’t offer it unprompted. Doesn’t make up the difference between the rate I’d booked and the rate at the new hotel, but it’s a nice gesture.

Yea, I’ve had season tickets since 2003 and have to stay at a hotel for each game I travel to. I know now to immediately skip over the Marriott properties (not just for home games, either). Good luck, man!

Jun 21, 2019, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Courtyard Marriott Clemson cancelled my room for A&M game ]

There is nothing worse or better for business then the word of mouth. Wish you could demand your room back. Hope you have a great A&M weekend when it comes.

Jun 21, 2019, 9:19 AM

I agree you got a bad deal but I have used that company and they do state in their notices. So really the hotel in Clemson did try to make an effort. I got into a similar thing in New Orleans with them wanting payment right now even though the service site said I had until December 2019. Sucked for me and I cancelled but if it sounds too good it is

PRICES

The price of the travel services will be as quoted on the website from time to time, except in cases of obvious error. Prices are liable to change at any time, but changes will not affect bookings already accepted. Despite Hotels.com’s best efforts, some of the travel services listed on the website may be incorrectly priced. HOTELS.COM EXPRESSLY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CORRECT ANY PRICING ERRORS ON OUR WEBSITE AND/OR ON PENDING RESERVATIONS MADE UNDER AN INCORRECT PRICE. IN SUCH EVENT, IF AVAILABLE, WE WILL OFFER YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO KEEP YOUR PENDING RESERVATION AT THE CORRECT PRICE OR WE WILL CANCEL YOUR RESERVATION WITHOUT PENALTY. Hotels.com is under no obligation to provide travel services to you at an incorrect (lower) price, even after you have been sent confirmation of your booking

You acknowledge that Hotels.com pre-negotiates certain room rates with property suppliers to facilitate the booking of reservations. You also acknowledge that Hotels.com provides you services to facilitate such booking of reservations for a consideration (the "facilitation fee"). The room rate displayed on the Website is a combination of the pre-negotiated room rate for rooms reserved on your behalf by Hotels.com, and the facilitation fee retained by Hotels.com for their services. You authorize Hotels.com to book reservations for the total reservation price, which includes the room rate displayed on the Website, plus tax recovery charges, service fees, and where applicable, taxes on the Hotels.com services. You agree that your credit card will be charged by Hotels.com for the total reservation price. Upon submitting your reservation request you authorize Hotels.com, including Travelscape, LLC or Travel Partner Exchange, S.L. (TPX), to facilitate property reservations on your behalf, including making payment arrangements with property suppliers.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Above comes from their policy page - As with most small

Jun 21, 2019, 9:23 AM

print on contracts it SUCKS

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never go through a third parrty....

Jun 21, 2019, 9:19 AM

Marriott didn't screw you. Hotels.com did. They will, Expedia will, etc. I gave up using those @ssholes a long time ago. I had rooms at a bowl game (I thought) until I got there and no record. I had a print of the email. The hotel called around and found another room for us.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CU TLGTN

Re: Never go through a third parrty....

Jun 21, 2019, 9:56 AM

never once had a problem, knock on wood. i use trivago and go with the best deal. has worked every time so far.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

worked all the time for me

Jun 21, 2019, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Never go through a third parrty.... ]

and also saved money doing it

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

I have had trouble with hotels.com....twice

Jun 21, 2019, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Never go through a third parrty.... ]

I have been using booking.com and no problems so far

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2019, 9:22 AM

I booked directly through Courtyard's website. Never again as the coots say!

Jun 21, 2019, 9:28 AM

We call the hotel (directly) we stay in the minute the schedule is announced and usually get a good rate.

Jun 21, 2019, 9:30 AM

While it does suck, I would warn folks about using Hotels.com. They are a 2nd party, after market reseller. The fine print on their website warns about things like this. Unless you book DIRECTLY THROUGH THE HOTEL you run a risk. I had a confirmation, etc. from Hotels.com for the natty game in New Orleans but when I checked with the hotel, they had no idea what I was talking about. Basically, Hotels.com sold the room on the hopes they could get it for that price. Hotels.com is not like expedia, etc. - they may not have the room when you book it...sorta like ticket brokers.

My advice is to join the hotel loyalty program and book directly through the hotel, especially on busy nights.

Jul 9, 2019, 3:25 PM

Expedia owns Hotels.com...they just have different sites to cater to different demographics.

Jun 21, 2019, 9:36 AM

Did they offer you the room at the new inflated price? Seems there may be some legal issues here - although I’m no lawyer. I thought that if a retail store marked an item with an incorrect low price they had to honor that price. If that is correct - seems the motel would have to honor the reservation at the price they confirmed to you ....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Jun 21, 2019, 9:57 AM

Your situation is why I NEVER book with anyone other than the Marriott website. All these off-site companies always have disclaimers and "what if's" in their bookings. As the old adage goes, "If it's too good to be true, it's probably not true!"

Jun 21, 2019, 10:03 AM

In my situation, that did not even work. Booked on the Courtyard.marriott.com site and still got the email from MARY LOGSDON
GENERAL MANAGER

mlogsdon@midashospitality.com

Good Afternoon
I wanted to reach out to you regarding your reservation at the Courtyard Marriott Clemson for September 6th and September 7th. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, we will not be able to accommodate your reservation. We have developed a partnership with two hotels in Greenville, SC that will be offering the same rates you have previously booked at the Courtyard Marriott Clemson. Below, I have attached a reservation link that will allow you to book your rooms online. In addition, I have attached the contact information for each hotel in in the event you prefer to book your reservations this way. At this time, you are moving your reservations on a volunteer basis, however, moving into next week, if enough guests have not made the choice to move, we will be contacting you directly to relocate your reservation.

:(

Jun 21, 2019, 10:13 AM

Could be that a media group like ESPN or someone requesting a block of rooms and Marriott accommodated them by kicking several people out...likely those with the low price booking.

Its one thing to change the price but to not even honor the room booked so far in advance is pretty shoddy. I would call the manager and at least ask what happened. Just tell her you are trying to make a decision on future stays and wanted to better understand if this is a common practice or if someone fouled up somewhere this one time. If you're nice enough Im sure they'll let you know what happened.

Jun 21, 2019, 10:51 AM

This is the reply that I got back with more detailed information. It sounds like the staff member who listed the site didn’t change the default number of rooms, or fat-fingered the number when they were typing it in.

I guess this is a case of “don’t assume malice when it can be explained by incompetence”.

Also, it’s freaking insane that they have to now deal with cancelling or rebooking a hundred guests.

————
Mr Reverseknarf,

This is not about the rate you paid. I would be happy to offer more insight into the “unforeseen circumstances”. Unfortunately, due to a system error, our hotel was not properly protected. We are now over sold over a 100 rooms for the night of September 6th and September 7th. We are working diligently to try and accommodate our guests, as you are a high priority, but unfortunately I cannot accommodate everyone. I know it is very inconvenient and we are disrupting traveling plans and for that, I am truly sorry. I wanted to reach out in advance and give guests the opportunity to make other arrangements, or for us to help them make other arrangements. It is my goal to have this taken care of in advance so everyone can enjoy their weekend and not have a difficult situation when they arrived at the hotel. Please let me know if you have any questions.

I do hope you reconsider staying with us in the future as a situation such as this has never happened at the Courtyard Marriott Clemson.

MARY LOGSDON
GENERAL MANAGER

Jun 21, 2019, 1:45 PM

“I guess this is a case of “don’t assume malice when it can be explained by incompetence”.

Hanlon’s Razor. I use it often. Not to be confused with Occam’s razor - “the simplest answer is usually the correct one.”

Re: Courtyard Marriott Clemson cancelled my room for A&M game***

Jun 21, 2019, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Courtyard Marriott Clemson cancelled my room for A&M game ]

Jun 21, 2019, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Courtyard Marriott Clemson cancelled my room for A&M game ]

They did what???***

Jun 21, 2019, 1:09 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: They did what???***

Jun 21, 2019, 1:50 PM

Not just once, but three times!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2019, 10:02 AM

I am not surprised. I spoke with a Clemson area hotel owner a few months ago. He said they were booking at $700+ per night rates early 2019 and by August, any available rooms would book at $1000 or more per night. That's crazy $ for a hotel room.

Jun 21, 2019, 10:27 AM

Wow! Thought you booked through Hotels. Com

Jun 21, 2019, 10:57 AM

Suggestion. Go to the Marriott website go to their corporate customer service. We've had good luck getting comp'd by corporate on screw ups.

I was Marriott Platinum for years and use to book the Fairfield Inn off of I-85 for games. Normally its a minimum of a two night stay required (which is BS). I'd book a single night and the hotel would always try to charge me for 2. I'd show them my reservation and tell'm no way. Fortunately the Platinum status allowed me to win those arguments.

Hotels have gotten outrageous in Clemson. I no longer will spend the night.

Jul 10, 2019, 8:26 AM

PawsFan said:

Suggestion. Go to the Marriott website go to their corporate customer service. We've had good luck getting comp'd by corporate on screw ups.

I was Marriott Platinum for years and use to book the Fairfield Inn off of I-85 for games. Normally its a minimum of a two night stay required (which is BS). I'd book a single night and the hotel would always try to charge me for 2. I'd show them my reservation and tell'm no way. Fortunately the Platinum status allowed me to win those arguments.

Hotels have gotten outrageous in Clemson. I no longer will spend the night.

I don’t stay in Clemson either. The hotels are outrageous and there are better hotels and more restaurant choices in Greenville.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is this a troll poast?

Jun 21, 2019, 1:29 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: Is this a troll poast?

Jun 21, 2019, 1:32 PM

I don’t get the “opposite” posts y’all tend to do on here as of late. Is it intended to be humorous?

If you're referring to those weirdos from the lounge,

Jun 21, 2019, 3:06 PM

then no, it's not funny.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Jun 21, 2019, 2:08 PM

http://www.midashospitality.com/leadership/

This is the executive group that operates the Courtyard property in Clemson.

People's words mean nothing any more.

Jul 9, 2019, 3:27 PM

Greed and deceit rules the day.

Replies: 35
| visibility 7,259
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic