Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coronavirus
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Coronavirus

Feb 26, 2020, 2:48 PM

Feb 1, 2020 there were 14,553 infections and 294 people dead. 273 infections were outside China.

Feb 26, 2020 there are 81,296 infections and 2,770 deaths. 2764 infections outside China.

That's a 459% increase in less than a month.

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Tuesday it expects coronavirus to spread in the United States and asked Americans to prepare.

"Ultimately, we expect we will see community spread in this country," Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters.

"It's not so much a question of if this will happen anymore, but rather more of a question of exactly when this will happen and how many people in this country will have severe illness," she said.

"We are asking the American public to work with us to prepare in the expectation that this could be bad," she said. "I continue to hope that in the end we'll look back and feel like we are overprepared, but that is a better place to be in than being underprepared."

But not to worry, the CDC is just trying to make Trump look bad. Invest in stocks, now!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coronavirus

Feb 26, 2020, 3:22 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 26, 2020, 3:31 PM

I’ll go out on a limb and say that car accidents and bad driving aren’t contagious...unless of course you drive a minivan...in that case poor driving is terminal.

Feb 26, 2020, 3:56 PM

If as many people partake in coronavirus as do

Feb 26, 2020, 4:42 PM

the number of people that partake in driving and contracting influenza every year, coronavirus will (statistically, based on mortality rate) kill a good deal more than both of those combined. A potential pandemic is legitimate cause for concern.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If as many people partake in coronavirus as do

Feb 26, 2020, 5:15 PM

lolwut. A 2 percent chance of death is significant by

Feb 26, 2020, 5:20 PM

any metric you want to employ here. Line up 99 people you work with, with the understanding that 2 of your group will be dead by Saturday. You're not going to worry about your odds?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If as many people partake in coronavirus as do

Feb 26, 2020, 5:32 PM [ in reply to Re: If as many people partake in coronavirus as do ]

It's actually been more like 3 percent, and that would be over 9 million Americans in the hypothetical you provided.

So that might induce some hand-wringing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

The baseline mortality rate in the US is just under 1%

Feb 26, 2020, 5:38 PM

Re: The baseline mortality rate in the US is just under 1%

Feb 26, 2020, 5:52 PM

That isn't accurate. You realize that tellerreport.com is registered in Vietnam? Wonder what their agenda is.

It's simple math dude. 81,296 infections and 2,770 deaths, divide 2,770 by 81,296 and you'll get 3.407% every time.

Further, in the 2017-18 flu outbreak, 45,000,000 were infected resulting in 60,000 deaths. That's 1/10 of 1% or .135 percent.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2017-2018.htm

Is CNBC in Vietnam too? What's their agenda?

Feb 26, 2020, 5:59 PM

Re: Is CNBC in Vietnam too? What's their agenda?

Feb 26, 2020, 7:22 PM

Don't know don't care. For 'diseases' I tend to go to the Center for 'Disease' Control.

I'm funny like that.

Re: Is CNBC in Vietnam too? What's their agenda?

Feb 26, 2020, 7:36 PM

Yeah, I'm concerned.

Feb 26, 2020, 8:07 PM [ in reply to Re: If as many people partake in coronavirus as do ]

You're talking about 7 mil Americans with a few illegals smeared in. So yeah, that bothers the hound out of me. I am concerned about our children and grandchildren. Us old folks can move on without this being such a big deal but these kids are why we love life.

I hope it's me and not some old guy's grandchild.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These aren't really honest comparisons.

Feb 26, 2020, 5:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Coronavirus ]

And while it isn't time to hit a panic button yet, the CDC stating what it has shows that this isn't some made-up media hype.

The issue is the rapid spread and the death toll in such a short time. Comparing anything to it based on a year death toll, or anything that isn't a contagious disease, is disingenuous.

It's spreading and killing at an alarming rate, and we haven't figured out how to stop it. So no, those examples aren't comparable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Feb 26, 2020, 5:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Coronavirus ]

T3Tiger said:

80,000 people died from the 2017 flu in the US alone. Over 50,000 are killed in vehicle accidents per year. Maybe we need to prepare for a disruption and quit driving.

Nonsense. First, 37,461 died by car in 2019, not 50,000. Car accidents are accidents they don't spread from person to person, it's a false equivalency.

A lot of deaths by flu. It's about 2% of infected. For the coronavirus it's 3.4% in China and 14% in Iran. Also, if there is a deadly flu outbreak, we should contain it. The coronavirus spreads much more easily and more quickly than flu.

People just want to believe whatever Trump, not a doctor, tells them. In fact, Trump is afraid of the effect on the economy and how that bodes for his reelection.

Trump says media is overplaying the danger while Tucker Carlson says the media is underplaying it due to 'political correctness'.

One of the problems with the coronavirus is that it has a 10 day incubation period and can be transmitted during that time, even before you know your sick. For the flu, the average incubation period is 2 days.

Feb 26, 2020, 5:43 PM

Amen

Feb 26, 2020, 7:45 PM

I fear the same fate may await Chuckston.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No it won't.

Feb 26, 2020, 8:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Coronavirus ]

I'm first in line to kill him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No it won't.

Feb 26, 2020, 8:13 PM

You sechy beast

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Felix loves me.

Feb 26, 2020, 8:19 PM

I'm killing him softly...should be lots of fun.

I know everything is about Trump to some,

Feb 26, 2020, 3:34 PM

but how is this about Trump again?

GO TIGERS!!

It's not particularly about Trump...yet. IF it does become

Feb 26, 2020, 4:45 PM

a pandemic in the US, Trump will own the dismantling of the entire CDC pandemic response team in 2018.

Well, it could be...

Feb 26, 2020, 5:00 PM [ in reply to I know everything is about Trump to some, ]

The fact that he's peddling a media conspiracy that claims coronavirus is blown out of proportion by the press to hurt the markets or something.

If coronavirus does turn out to be a real threat to our country, he's proving he's not going to be a good leader to see us through it.

I shut the gate whether coming or going.

Feb 26, 2020, 4:00 PM

I would have shut down travel from China the first week this virus was announced. I know it's drastic but that's just how I am. Maybe you would now be accusing me of overreacting and maybe I might have been.

What would you have done differently than what Trump has done, Felix? Say?

What would you do now? Me, I'd shut down incoming from everywhere and tell the people who want to leave to not expect to return without my explicit permission. Then, I'm not running for office this term.

Feb 26, 2020, 4:09 PM

I didn't drink all that whiskey and bourbon in college just to be taken out be a virus named after a crappy beer that requires a lime!

Feb 26, 2020, 5:19 PM

So wait, does the left want open borders or do they just hate the Asians now and everyone else but them can come in?

Imagine if the mortality rate were 14-15%.

Feb 26, 2020, 7:54 PM

Oh wait, you don’t have to imagine...it happened in 2003 and we called it “SARS” and we endured yet another “sky is falling” media cycle. Sadly, scaring the sh#% out of us is a fantastic business model.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2003/05/estimates-sars-death-rates-revised-upward

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Imagine if the mortality rate were 14-15%.

Feb 26, 2020, 8:06 PM

You mean hand lotion?

Feb 26, 2020, 8:11 PM

I bet there was Kleenex in the glovebox too.

Stop ignoring me.

Feb 26, 2020, 8:10 PM

What would you have done differently than what Trump has done? Nutup or shutup!

If you keep ignoring me you're sleeping on the couch tonite!***

Feb 26, 2020, 8:52 PM

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic