Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coot at work
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 66
| visibility 1

Coot at work

Nov 30, 2016, 7:49 AM

Yes, he really is a janitor. Says to me," y'all aren't that good, Alabama is going to kick your a$$." I looked at him and asked him to think about what he just said. With a pause and a bewildered look on his face, "what do you mean?". I informed him that what he was saying is that we'll be playing in the national championship but we're not that good. Bot the stuttering and backtracking that followed was hilarious and had to walk away when the most famous quote came out of his mouth

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Think before you post

Nov 30, 2016, 8:13 AM

especially if you cannot edit your post. My uncle was a janitor and he kept the P&A building spotless; took pride in his work. He was a WW2 veteran and a great man. He worked hard and put 2 kids through Clemson.

That is what is wrong with today's "social media society" - from FaceBook to Twitter, people don't think before they write . I am so glad that Coach Swinney does not allow the players to fool around with that nonsense during the season.

I get what you say about the typical coot fan, most of which did not even attend the university, but just be a little more thoughtful before you post.

Ask yourself: "Would I say that face to face to someone or to an audience?" - I would hope not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

~• Other than THAT Jackie, how was the parade? •~

Pseudo-elitism of the Twatters...***

Nov 30, 2016, 8:17 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Think before you post

Nov 30, 2016, 8:37 AM [ in reply to Think before you post ]

Having worked at several part-time jobs in the old P&A bldg., I can assure you, the P-plant folks who were assigned there did a lot more than "janitor"....I was always amazed at how those wonderful, knowledgeable people not only maintained a huge array of machinery, they could strip them down and repair them (a frequent necessity) in a short period of time....this required constant training and re-training because the technology of the process machinery was constantly changing....it was always funny to me to see P-plant folks and pH.d'ers on their backs under some huge machine working together--sharing their knowledge and experience to fix something they both were cussing from time-to-time

But I don't think the OP meant any disrespect to the profession.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes the OP absolutely meant disrespect to the profession

Nov 30, 2016, 8:46 AM

Apparently he thinks it's funny that a coot really is a janitor, otherwise he wouldn't have included that line.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

My friend GWP is correct

Nov 30, 2016, 10:21 AM

As usual. Good job, GWP.

We're still not friends***

Nov 30, 2016, 10:25 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Then why do you tmale me invites

Nov 30, 2016, 10:33 AM

to tickle parties and links to AOL chat rooms?

That was one time and I already told you I was drunk

Nov 30, 2016, 10:40 AM

so it didn't count!

I wish that line worked in court***

Nov 30, 2016, 10:45 AM

Nov 30, 2016, 8:52 AM [ in reply to Think before you post ]

It's called sarcasm, do we need safe rooms these days to. That line is just for past references because any thread that says coot at work is usually followed by, did he take ur trash out, or did he get your order right, wow, get a grip.

Nov 30, 2016, 9:05 AM

Again, think before you post... wow.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2016, 3:00 PM

Somebody needs a tampon.

You're not processing that correctly . . .

Nov 30, 2016, 9:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Think before you post ]

the sarcasm doesn't excuse anything - it's an indictment. The mere fact that the condescension was laden with sarcasm doesn't save it - it worsens it. The fact that your posts invokes the references of others that talk about janitors just provides the context for that sarcastic condescension.

Nov 30, 2016, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Think before you post ]

If you would have simply said the guy worked at Burger King or that he was the guy who picks up your trash it would have been ok, make a note, janitors are off limits. Haha some days it will be a trophy post and other days you will get a sensitivity lesson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2016, 10:38 AM

I wouldn't mind a little clarification myself. Are we saying not to belittle anyone's job or only jobs occupied by coots. I've seen many posts on here such as "make sure my fries are hot" or "get back to flipping burgers". Of course these are made to make fun of coots, but still a reference to a fast food employee. Just wondering what's acceptable and what's not.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Say what you feel and don't worry about a few sensitive posters

Nov 30, 2016, 10:46 AM

My grandfather, also a WW2 navy vet in the pacific theatre came back after the war and started a janitorial service. Before he was done his company spanned 3 States. I was not the least bit offended nor did I feel the OP was picking on all Janitors world wide. We keep this up and all humor will be lost to help protect the feelings of a few possible persons. I can't help but note that not one single janitor has responded saying they were offended only an attorney and the descendant of one. That should about sum it up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't know anything about me

Nov 30, 2016, 10:53 AM

or the jobs I have taken to support my family. Or the work I've done to help other people get jobs as janitors or other such professions.

Re: You don't know anything about me

Nov 30, 2016, 10:54 AM

Think you can find me a good man to run a weedeater next summer?

Do you live in Charlotte?***

Nov 30, 2016, 10:57 AM

Re: Do you live in Charlotte?***

Nov 30, 2016, 11:13 AM

Myrtle.

Then no. Although I'm sure you can go by a local

Nov 30, 2016, 11:14 AM

men's shelter and find plenty of people willing to run a weedeater for you!

They are more likely to smoke weed than eat it but ok

Nov 30, 2016, 3:37 PM

> men's shelter and find plenty of people willing to
> run a weedeater for you!

I know one thing about you I didn't before

Nov 30, 2016, 10:57 AM [ in reply to You don't know anything about me ]

You were quick to defend a most likely imaginary Janitors feelings but proceeded to slam an entirely real Tnetters grammar, call him out and make him feel small for an attempt to get a few TU's doing the same thing that happens every day on here without all the backlash.

Actually I was hoping to get a few TDs.

Nov 30, 2016, 10:59 AM

I like those a lot more than TUs. Hth

Nov 30, 2016, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Think before you post ]

This. Everytime there are posts about something a coot said it's met with the same ol' fast food drive thru responses....

The OP was looking to pick up a few TU's.

Nov 30, 2016, 5:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Think before you post ]

I'm with Moody on this one. Whoever is offended by his original post is clearly thin-skinned and just looking to start trouble. Who is anyone to tell anyone else to "Choose your words wisely?" Last I checked this is a free forum and we can say whatever we want. No safety pins needed.

You have to look at intent. I'm sure he didn't intend to offend you by the janitor comment. I'm sure he doesn't know you personally or that your father was a janitor. But somehow, he has to watch what he says because someone who has a father that was a janitor may see his words and get offended? That's complete BS and the main problem with this country today.

In the future, just say, "Your janitor comment offended me. This is why..." if you must say anything. But DON'T be so morally superior as to ask someone to edit their post or change their words or thoughts. That's just crap.

Nov 30, 2016, 9:29 AM [ in reply to Think before you post ]

Don't mind him, he's just a little moody this morning.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2016, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Think before you post ]

You guys must be a real hoot at parties. The anonymity provided by the internet is one of the only venues left for honest discussion thanks to the perpetually offended amongst us. And there is delightful irony watching people judge others for being judgemental. It is the eternal struggle of pot vs kettle.

Here's where you are wrong...

Nov 30, 2016, 1:01 PM [ in reply to Think before you post ]

...coot opened himself to criticism by injecting his thoughtless comment. If he kept his mouth shut I believe everyone's self worth could have been remained intact.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is absolutely nothing wrong with honest work.***

Nov 30, 2016, 5:16 PM [ in reply to Think before you post ]

Was your ww2 veteran janitor uncle a scar grad?

Dec 1, 2016, 7:32 AM [ in reply to Think before you post ]

I worked as a janitor for a time in a cotton mill. I'm an old. overweight document pusher now

I got no problems with people making fun of former janitor old fat paper pushes..

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Yes

Nov 30, 2016, 8:26 AM

Do please try to be a little more politically correct so as not to hurt anybody's delicate little feelings. Seems like folks are just looking for something to be offended by these days. I am sure you did not mean to imply that all professional masters of the custodial arts are inferior to everyone else, geez people, get a grip.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is a difference

Nov 30, 2016, 8:46 AM

between "political correctness" and good manners. The OP certainly meant what is implied, because he stated "Yes, he really is a janitor".

Hiding behind a keyboard does not give one the right to be rude or discourteous. You can still make a point without having to slight someone simply because of their type of employment.

It would have been a fun post, even without the "janitor" reference or "professional master of custodial arts" as you so eloquently stated...

Didn't hurt my feelings at all, I just think it's BS to

Nov 30, 2016, 8:49 AM [ in reply to Yes ]

make fun of someone because of their job. It comes off as elitist to make fun of someone for being a janitor, and it comes off as ignorant to do it when the English language is such a struggle for the poster making those comments.

Re: Didn't hurt my feelings at all, I just think it's BS to

Nov 30, 2016, 8:52 AM

Agree 100% GWP

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Exactly. There is honor in a hard day's work. It doesn't

Nov 30, 2016, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Didn't hurt my feelings at all, I just think it's BS to ]

matter what the work is.

It isn't political correctness. It is simply not being a d1ck.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2016, 9:06 AM [ in reply to Didn't hurt my feelings at all, I just think it's BS to ]

Well said, GWP.

Nov 30, 2016, 10:00 AM [ in reply to Didn't hurt my feelings at all, I just think it's BS to ]

So if someone calls you an ambulance chaser, in jest of course, you are ok with it?

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Well I call myself an ambulance chaser. Whatcha getting at?***

Nov 30, 2016, 10:20 AM

Nov 30, 2016, 1:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Didn't hurt my feelings at all, I just think it's BS to ]

That is a ridiculous statement. First being that attorneys have always been the brunt of that statement. Secondly every day for how many decades have Clemson/Carolina eluded to who has the best graduation rates, how far in life their diploma gets them.. is that any worse than being called sheep humpers, uneducated, racist or stupid. This is a sports message board not an application for a job interview. If talking about a janitor or whatever to make fun of the idiots that are Scar fans hurts people's feelings and think it slights everyone working in that field is preposterous. Everyone getting all riled up over this sounds about as ignorant as the scar players and fans calling anyone associated with Clemson racist.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Oh, yeah, I'm sure he meant it as an accolade. Yeah right**

Nov 30, 2016, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Yes ]

;

Coot at work

Nov 30, 2016, 8:45 AM

Now that's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

Re: Coot at work

Nov 30, 2016, 9:04 AM

Good grief people. What are we; the University of Oregon? I had hopes Clemson University would avoid the trend to turn it's students into hyper-sensitive cry babies. You don't have a right to never be offended in this world. Life is hard, and your feelings are going to get hurt at times. So put on our "big boy panties" and get over ourselves. For heaven's sake, the reality is, precious few people in the world set out to get their degree and become a janitor. That doesn't make janitors bad people any more than it makes everyone who isn't a janitor good people. It's a simple, and accurate, observation. So let it go, for heaven's sake. This is supposed to be about football. Why ruin a harmless source of pleasure by trying to be the mind police? Go Tigers!

A couple things here

Nov 30, 2016, 9:14 AM

1. You're confusing getting offended with calling someone out for being a jerk
B. The OP's story wasn't even amusing to begin with, even without him making fun of someone for having a job.
III. I'm not a hyper-sensitive cry baby, I'm someone who respects a janitor or a doctor or a lawyer or the check out person at the grocery store for working and trying to put food on the table. And if you or anyone else makes fun of those people I will call you out on it.
4. If you want to see someone who's hyper-sensitive, look at OP's reactions to the responses
E. Don't tell me how to think willy

+1... again, Elitist wanna-bes...***

Nov 30, 2016, 9:17 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

EXACTLY . . . YOU KNOW WHAT . . .

Nov 30, 2016, 9:37 AM [ in reply to A couple things here ]

one of the abiding problems of those who are generally socially and politically conservative (and I am, too), is that we often tend to wave off all opposition to ACTUAL insensitivity, offense, condescension, etc. as simple political correctness. Yes, the left in this country has sold us all a false standard about what is and isn't acceptable social discourse. And yes, we should reject the culture of microaggressions and the hyper-victimization of everything. That said, when something REALLY IS out of line, it's simple moral failure to sweep it under the rug and blame those who notice it as being politically correct.

The guy that responded to you is spot on . . .

Nov 30, 2016, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Coot at work ]

it isn't about being offended. It's about not being an ####. When a mom tells her kid not to badger his little brother, does he say "oh mom, don't be so easily offended" ? No. The mom isn't calling him out b/c she's offended, she's calling him out b/c he's being a jerk. Know the difference.

If you are all hot and bothered about political correctness, then go complain about something that really falls in that category, like the ACC moving the ###(n) ACCCG game b/c they refuse to recognize the difference between X and Y chromosomes.

Let me correct one thing . . .

Nov 30, 2016, 9:42 AM

(d)amn - now isn't that better!

Re: The guy that responded to you is spot on . . .

Nov 30, 2016, 10:04 AM [ in reply to The guy that responded to you is spot on . . . ]

mrmatt, I'm pretty sure you're making an "apples to oranges" comparison is using a mother's instruction to her children. The original post was not offered as a well intended parent to a child, for whom that parent has responsibility. It was a post on football editorial page. We're not talking about making a speech on the steps of Tillman Hall. We're talking TN. You can argue all you want that we should respect folks equally, from the janitor to the CEO. I do that, as the head of an organization with some 35 employees, I don't treat my right hand, "go to" person any differently than I treat the janitor. Yet I receive criticism from one very differently than from the other; and that's only logical. The janitor has no business instructing me on hiring and firing, for example. He has no knowledge or experience in that area. My response to the initial post was making that distinction. I could be wrong, but I didn't sense an intent to besmirch all janitors; just this one defending "the coots." Whatever the case, I am unwavering in my position that the hypersensitivity of younger Americans will eventually lead to the destruction of the freedom of speech in America. That cannot be allowed.

The hypersensitivity of younger Americans is already

Nov 30, 2016, 10:23 AM

leading to the destruction of the freedom of speech in America. But again, you're confusing calling someone a dik because they were acting like a dik for being hypersensitive.

No, no, no . . .

Nov 30, 2016, 10:32 AM [ in reply to Re: The guy that responded to you is spot on . . . ]

I didn't make a comparison at all, therefore any "apples to oranges" differences are irrelevant. What I offered was an analogy, not a comparison, I likened the to situations in a particular narrow way, and it had nothing to do with whether the magnitude or purpose of the authority was similar between a mother-child relationship on the one hand, and a TNet comment on the other. It had to do with the distinction between offense vs. correction and rebuke. The mother isn't correcting her child b/c she is offended, she's correcting him b/c he's wrong. In like fashion, the response to the OP was not reacting out of offense, but was rather *objecting*. Therefore, all complaints that he was "taking offense" and being "sensitive" are simply off point. Now, one can dislike that he offered a correction or objection on TNet, but the distinction does not go away simply b/c a mother had more authority over a child than a fellow poster does on TNet. It was an analogy, not a comparison.

I should just quote GWPTiger, he put it better than I did: "1. You're confusing getting offended with calling someone out for being a jerk"

And yes, you are right about the hierarchical differences between various folks a companies and in various professions, but that is also entirely irrelevant. Folks didn't object to the OP b/c he drew a pertinent distinction between, say, the relevant experience or authority of a janitor to a law partner in legal matters, or in heart surgery, etc. The objection was b/c entirely outside of any relevant contextual difference like that, he threw a general barb of condescension at the guy for his line of work. So, yes, you receive criticism from the janitor differently on a whole host of professional matters as a matter of course, but if he happens to be a dolt in discussing something as mundane as football, then his problem is his idiocy, not his line of work. If the comment was not meant to take a swipe at him for that, but was just mean to take a swipe at THAT PARTICULAR guy b/c of his comments re: carolina, then the whole reference to his work as a janitor becomes conspicuously superfluous, irrelevant, etc.

Yes, hypersensitivity WILL and IS leading to the destruction of freedom of speech in America, but this is no example of that. This is using the scourge of political correctness as a cover for something else. Yes, it's a problem. But no, not every objection to anything is an instance of enforcing PC.

*that is "two" -not "to" (typo)

Nov 30, 2016, 10:35 AM

l

I don't think I put anything better than you just did***

Nov 30, 2016, 10:39 AM [ in reply to No, no, no . . . ]

Nov 30, 2016, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Re: The guy that responded to you is spot on . . . ]

Agree with Willy. The facts are that the large majority of janitors have not had a stereotypical successful working career. Sure there are many reasons for people being janitors and if you want to focus on the few cases that will make us all tear up, then you can do that and call the OP out for being such a terrible human being.

I took the OP's post as meaning coots do not have the stereotypical successful career and got a chuckle. Then I lost 20 minutes of my life reading all the BS posts that followed...

Nov 30, 2016, 12:54 PM

I was at an unnamed place being provided a service by a coot. It was hilarious. That's all I can say for now until we get this sorted out.

So what defines a "stereotypical successful career?"***

Nov 30, 2016, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Re: The guy that responded to you is spot on . . . ]

My boss gets upset

Nov 30, 2016, 10:12 AM

when I waste my time talking with the low level help, other than pleasantries, of course. You should have waited until the end of the day, taken a dump in your wastebasket, and set a hidden cam to record him having to clean it up... like the rest of us do.

Nov 30, 2016, 10:56 AM

That definitely doesn't sound made up at all

Nov 30, 2016, 1:07 PM

When did this bored get so butthurt all the time.... can't even bad mouth coots anymore.

Nov 30, 2016, 2:03 PM

w3rd.

Sounds like some folks need their safe space.

Nov 30, 2016, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Coot at work ]

I am in no way "butthurt" as you say, and I saw the humor in the OP's post. I am certainly not a "sensitive cry baby" or some whining, ultra-sensitive person that needs a safe room.

It all boils down to a generational disparity; I believe in good mannners whether I'm talking in person or posting on an internet board. I'm sure the OP did not intend to deliberately offend anyone; I simply retorted that one should think before he posts, ensuring that the same good manners you would use face-to-face would be used in a forum such as TNet.

Social media has created a culture of rudeness, often tempered with heartless banter. I get it.

My generation (no, I don't do FaceBook, Twitter, or any other "like me" media) was raised in a time when good manners and being courteous was (and still is) simply a part of our being.

I'm not trying to win an argument or score points; I enjoy TNet and I love my Clemson Tigers. I was simply trying to make a point about manners and being a good person.

Now let's go and stomp some Hoakies!!!

Offensive

Nov 30, 2016, 2:10 PM

to generations not your own, to the people who created and work for Facebook, Twitter and the like (so eloquently described as "like me" media).

I get the gist of what you're saying ... don't be condescending ... which you immediately follow up with being condescending.

Nov 30, 2016, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Coot at work ]

You are most certainly a cry baby.

Nov 30, 2016, 2:38 PM

Wow. 6 pages of people telling someone else to "watch their mouth" because he called the man a janitor?

Just wish CT88 could've got the same 6 page full of "watch your mouth" when he made that racsit remark a few weeks ago.

Nov 30, 2016, 5:20 PM

I wish people would riot in the streets when a white man is killed by the police.

It does happen more often....

Dec 1, 2016, 7:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Coot at work ]

Hey look here everyone Forever Crying is STILL bitching about a post that was RAd to the point of the board deleting it claiming no one cared.

He is also attempting to inject race back into a conversation in which it doesnt work.

Good job race baiter people like you are the reason Trump won.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Replies: 66
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic