Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cool Trip Home (long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,192

Cool Trip Home (long)

Aug 4, 2017, 10:19 PM

I just flew home to Ft Walton Beach, FL from a long business trip to Dallas. Forgive me if it's a long poast. For background, I'm an '85 grad and retired from the AF 3 years ago. I got to the DFW airport an hour early, so I headed to a pub in the terminal. I was decked out in Clemson gear as usual when I travel. You never know what conversations you can strike up. I look up and see a guy across the bar showing me his Clemson shirt. John's a '95 grad who lives in Nebraska, but originally from Charleston. Used to work for John Deere. I tell him that my granddaddy (class of '26) and uncle (class of '55) owned a John Deere dealership in St. George. And I have cousins, also CU grads still with the company. He mentions a poast on TNet from a Clemson student from CA about why she HATES Clemson (spoiler...she loves CU). We had both seen it on TNet. Awesome article, and we talk about that for awhile, get a little choked up, and come to the conclusion that all the people walking around us have no clue why we love Clemson so much, and the only explanation we can come up with is "Something in These Hills...". We actually both said it.

I say goodbye to John from Nebraska and head to the American Airlines gate for Fort Walton. I see a couple stop to check their tickets. He's an older gent with a Clemson shirt on. I strike up a conversation with him...he's from Abbeville, Class of '64. I tell him my dad's a '59 grad and we talk for awhile. His wife says he always wears Clemson shirts when he travels, so I show them my Tiger Paw belt and Clemson argyle socks. He trumps me with his Clemson watch. We talk a few minutes about common friends from Abbeville, then they continue to their gate.

Immediately after I sit down at the gate, a young man walks up to me and introduces himself. He's a 2LT in the Air Force and 2016 Clemson grad stationed at Eglin AFB in Fort Walton Beach. We talk for awhile and figure out that while I was still on active duty, I spoke to him and all the Clemson AFROTC cadets at an assembly. He's from Easley and I mention that my cousin (same John Deere family) is an attorney in Easley and had kids about his age. He goes to Facebook and pulls up a wedding picture of one of my nephews (Class of '15) that I attended earlier this year. We talk for a bit, then board the aircraft.

As I'm sitting there with my seat belt buckled, a familiar face walks on board. John is an '85 classmate and fellow AFROTC cadet that lives near me in FL and we attend the same church. He's now a DoD civilian employee at Eglin AFB. I introduce him to the '16 grad sitting in front of me who works on the same base. We connect at baggage claim and I make sure they are talking, so that the '85 grad can mentor the '16 grad.

In the span of 3-4 hours I met four Clemson grads between Dallas and Florida, got some business cards, made some new friends, and hopefully helped a young CU grad make some connections that will help him in life. I'm sure Bama, Texas, and Ohio State grads make connections at airports all the time. But I doubt they have the same familiarity, passion, and unspoken connection that all of us share. They can't understand that "there's something in these hills..." Each time I parted ways with them we all said "Go Tigers!"

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cool Trip Home (long)- I am always amazed

Aug 4, 2017, 10:36 PM

how many CU folks I run into like that for the size of the school. Thanks for sharing those stories

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cool Trip Home (long)- I am always amazed

Aug 5, 2017, 7:46 AM

Yes, Clemson fans are always proud of their school and have reason to be. Thanks for sharing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That "poast" right thar sums up Clemson.

Aug 5, 2017, 12:25 AM

Thanks for the "poast".

^^^the little lights aren't twinkling Clark...***

Aug 5, 2017, 1:25 PM

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Re: Cool Trip Home.... yep!

Aug 5, 2017, 6:54 AM

Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great Story. Thanks for sharing it.***

Aug 5, 2017, 7:08 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cool Trip Home (long)

Aug 5, 2017, 7:35 AM

Aren't we blessed to know that there is "Something in these hills"! I love your story...it proves the point that when you go to Clemson, you become a member of a whole new family. Proud and blessed to be a Tiger!

Aug 5, 2017, 12:24 PM

Great post! That's the reason why I always have my ring on too since you never know who you're going to run into. Just proves what we already know - we're family.

Aug 5, 2017, 12:29 PM

Reminds me of when I first stepped on campus for the first time with my brother, mom n dad. Mom said "Man this is a special place. You can feel it." She was so jealous she asked if anyone would notice if she went to class with me when they started. =o)

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,192
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic