Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Frat behavior costs Oklahoma a 4 star recruit....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Frat behavior costs Oklahoma a 4 star recruit....

Mar 9, 2015, 5:55 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/four-star-recruit-jean-delance-decommits-from-oklahoma-following-racist-video-190902500.html

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bull

Mar 9, 2015, 6:20 PM

While I enjoy seeing our former bowl opponent lose a recruit, I highly doubt this story. The kid changed his mind and found a great way to get out of a commitment and into the news. Whatever the frat did was a convenient excuse, but highly unlikely a cause. If you truly wanted to attend and play ball at CU, would a silly prank by a handful of frat boys cause you to run away? I don't think so. This story works well in today's instant internet news cycle, but it doesn't hold water for me. If my opinion makes you want to call me a racist, then have fun with that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "A silly prank"?

Mar 9, 2015, 6:35 PM

I'm not sure a bunch of young men chanting "there will ever be a n***** at SAE, there will never be a ****** at SAE, while they may hang from a tree, but they'll never sign with me, there will never be a ****** at SAE is a silly prank.

Frankly, I find it disgusting and even typing the words turn my stomach. I'm not going to throw around the term racist, but writing it off as a "silly prank" in my opinion is wrong.

Furthermore, why would a player(recruit) want to play for fans that will cheer for you on Saturday afternoon and give you high fives in the classroom and then turn around and chant that filth.

Wow.. who would TD this? Must be an SAE guy.***

Mar 9, 2015, 6:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Same ######### Everywhere***

Mar 9, 2015, 8:37 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Context

Mar 9, 2015, 7:17 PM [ in reply to Re: "A silly prank"? ]

Maybe I wasn't completely clear with my original message. This was something said or done by a very small group of (probably drunk) OU kids that in no way represent OU in its entirety. Do you think that everything a CU frat does is a statement for the university? I don't. Do I think that OU over-reacted by shutting down the entire fraternity for the actions of one night? I don't know, because all I know about this is what I have read. Am I surprised by what they (OU)did? Heck no. This is the only politically correct way to approach this issue in today's world. These are kids and I don't care how adult you may feel while you are in college, you are not. You may be physically mature and you can fight and die for your country, but you will still do dumb stuff at the wrong time. Five years from now these kids will all be in engineering, banking, law school, med school or maybe even drop-outs, but they will not be the evil that you believe them to be. Demonize if you will, but you better move out of that glass house. For the record, they were wrong in what they did and said. They are in a public setting and in a location that is allowed to them by the school, they should know better. I do not mean to sound like I support them, but they made a mistake in judgment, they didn't actually hang someone. I hope if those that fail to see this point continue to disagree with me, they don't run into their own kind when their judgment comes. By the way, I knew all of you were just waiting for my kind of comment and I was bored on a Monday afternoon, so a little pot-stirring seemed appropriate.

^^^probably rassist***

Mar 9, 2015, 7:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

You don't say things like that

Mar 9, 2015, 7:46 PM [ in reply to Context ]

Unless you're very comfortable saying things like that, probably on a regular basis.

You certainly don't hold a sing along

Mar 9, 2015, 7:48 PM

Once.

They knew the bile they were spewing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whats funny is

Mar 9, 2015, 7:52 PM

That either they didn't think camera phones and the internet exist, or they are truly as stupid as they look.

Message was edited by: drewtigeralum03®

It was most likely in the pile of stuff to memorize for

Mar 9, 2015, 8:53 PM [ in reply to You certainly don't hold a sing along ]

pledge week.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A mistake in judgment is an off color joke

Mar 9, 2015, 7:47 PM [ in reply to Context ]

Or something that skirts the lines of decency but goes over.

Drunken buffoons singing (in unison, so it ain't like it's a first time) about killing black folks isn't some simple "oops, I made a mistake in judgment" moment.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Context

Mar 9, 2015, 10:24 PM [ in reply to Context ]

Wrangler:
This is how violent acts begin. These guys will make plans to kill or hang blacks with that type of thinking.

Obviously, the university views it much more than a silly

Mar 9, 2015, 6:47 PM [ in reply to Bull ]

prank. They have already shut SAE down, gave them until tomorrow to vacate the building, and are boarding up the windows. Talk about crapping in your Easter basket.

Re: Bull

Mar 9, 2015, 7:00 PM [ in reply to Bull ]

Ever think that something you see as a "silly prank" might be a big deal to someone else?

Mar 9, 2015, 7:22 PM

Absolutely, that's why a think a thick skin and a little less being freaked out by what every idiot says helps to get me through the day. I have had a long-standing stance on other people's words. If I respect you, your opinion means everything to me. The rest of the world and their opinion mean very little. That has worked for me for quite some time.

"Sticks and stones can break my bones..."

Mar 9, 2015, 7:36 PM

is a great mantra to live by but in this case a strong message (shutting down the fraternity) is a lesson these young impressionable minds need to hear. IMO the punishment isn't severe enough. They should be kicked out of school with the possibility to reapply at the end of the semester.

This behavior goes way beyond "just get over it" or "learn to have thick skin."

Mar 9, 2015, 9:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Bull ]

Well if it's race related and you don't think it could in this day and age you're clueless

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome

Mar 9, 2015, 7:45 PM [ in reply to Bull ]

I love that you think you are in the position to know his motivation. I mean, you can call bull on the story if you don't believe the reporter who is reporting it, but otherwise I find it hilarious that you think you know the player's motivations better than the player does.

And don't get me started on "silly prank".

They were chanting about hanging black folks from trees. That is neither silly nor a prank.

Re: Awesome (really)

Mar 9, 2015, 8:16 PM

Do you actually think that someone was going to be hung that night? I don't understand why people take a (very offensive)song and try to turn it into some sort of world changing event. Now if they were singing about overthrowing the U.S. Constitution and all of the freedoms that it affords us, I would be upset. I guess that you have never had the pleasure of having a car with a boom box spewing anti-white, anti-female lyrics pull up next to you at a gas station while your young daughter sat in the car asking you what those words mean. By the very laws of this country, we will constantly be offended by the actions of others and that is a great thing. I simply smile knowing that I too have the right to be as nice or as offensive as I choose to be. I love America and I would never think of questioning the thoughts or words of another. This is obviously one of those social issues that will have two sides. I know, I know, it's my right to be wrong in your eyes.

LOL

Mar 9, 2015, 8:46 PM

"I would never think of questioning the thoughts or words of another."

2 things here:

1) You JUST DID, when you called bull on his reason for decomitting

and

2) Of COURSE it's ok to question other people's thoughts and ideas. Folks have stupid and dumb ideas all the time (myself included). Now, I don't, at all, think you can legislate or punish them for simply being thoughts, but question them, of course.

And to answer your question, no, I don't think anyone was going to get lynched that night. But they drunken yahoos were spewing some real vile stuff and are getting the appropriate response from a group who is no longer allowing them to represent the group.

Re: Awesome (really)

Mar 9, 2015, 9:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Awesome (really) ]

I too am relieved they were not singing about an inanimate object over which they have no influence rather than a group of people who they can.

Mar 10, 2015, 7:48 AM [ in reply to Bull ]

I wouldn't file that under "silly prank." It seems like an ingrained attitude of that frat. If that sort of culture was able to fester at a school, it's far from unreasonable to think it would change a lot of potential student/athletes' minds about going there.

All the more reason why we're reminded that we've got some housecleaning to do at our own pad. . . .

Re: Bull - I'd love to see you go pull that "silly prank" at

Mar 10, 2015, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Bull ]

Kappa Sig....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Somewhere I can see Charlie strong laughing

Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 PM

and looking like Dr Evil. Texas will be back on the map b/c of stuff like this in Norman.

That's a far fetched connection.

Mar 9, 2015, 6:43 PM

By a hit queen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Frat behavior costs Oklahoma a 4 star recruit....

Mar 9, 2015, 7:06 PM

It's a shame this continues in the year 2015. Slavery was abolished over 100 yrs ago. Civil rights was won over 50 years ago. Why anyone if any race keeps perpetuating this is beyond me. This is stuff that is passed down and taught. This is not how normal people on society believe or act. The only issue American citizens should be having is with terrorist and illegals not attacking each other

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Well it just made National News on CBS

Mar 9, 2015, 7:12 PM

Dumb move, kid.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Kid? It was a bus load of them.

Mar 9, 2015, 7:42 PM

And there are fraternities in Clemson with similar chants.

By nature

Mar 9, 2015, 7:55 PM

This was pulled right off of Clemson's webpage on Greek organizations.

"Founded at the University of Alabama in 1856, Sigma Alpha Epsilon is the only fraternity founded in the Antebellum South still in operation. Sigma Alpha Epsilon is the largest college fraternity by total initiates, with more than 300,000 initiated members and more than 11,000 undergraduates at 300 chapters in 49 states and provinces at present."

Greek organizations are historically racist and sexist. While perusing the Greek site at CU, I saw a picture of a group of white girls, a group of black girls and a group a white boys. At no time did the university or the Greek organizations seem to want to be seen as anything but exclusive. Once again, I don't support these kids or their actions, I just don't get surprised by seeing a video of drunk white kids in an all-white organization singing racist crap. If someone can name me an organization, or group of organizations, that are more sexist or racist in their memberships than sororities and fraternities, my Monday will not have been without learning.

Hey, dumb*** drunk kids, everything is taped now.***

Mar 9, 2015, 7:45 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

The lesson of the day

Mar 9, 2015, 7:57 PM

And the worst part (from their standpoint) was that it was recorded by one of their "brothers".

Fraternity above all else?

Mar 9, 2015, 8:45 PM

nm

WELCOME TO CLEMSON

Mar 9, 2015, 8:16 PM

Come on over to a real program where you will be respected for who and what you are. You will be respected for who you are and for what you do. Isn't that what you really want? Come and see for yourself. This is a program built on family. We're all in it together.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic