Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Considering a conference may have 2 teams in the playoff ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1,498

Considering a conference may have 2 teams in the playoff ...

Sep 29, 2020, 12:32 PM

I still feel like those two teams from the same conference should be required to play each other first then advance to the Natty.

I am against the committee seeding teams so that it is possible to have the same conference represented in both teams for the Natty.

Because there is STILL just too much bias in the rankings and seedings ---- that's why.

Especially picking the 3rd and 4th place teams.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Considering a conference may have 2 teams in the playoff ...

Sep 29, 2020, 12:34 PM

On the bright side, separating the two might allow us to defeat an over-inflated SEC team in the semifinal and then defeat a second over-inflated SEC (who scraped by an over-inflated Ohio St team) in the final as well.

Ohio State sucks, and so does the B1G.

Sep 29, 2020, 12:38 PM

They should've stuck with their spring season because the fall season will not end well for them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Sep 29, 2020, 12:40 PM

So your solution to bias in seeding to engage in bias to ensure that two SEC teams cannot be in the finals.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2020, 12:46 PM

The OP never mentioned the SEC.

Would you be in favor of Clemson and Miami getting to play in the title game this season or would prefer that the ACC plays each other in the semifinal (if 2 teams are chosen) to have teams from 2 different conferences competing for the national championship?

I can see both sides of the argument.

I think making them play each other in the semifinal guarantees a team from the SEC makes it to the final game, which seems wrong to me as well.

There is actually no good way to have 2 teams from the same conference in a 4 team playoff in my opinion which is why I think the conference champ qualifier should be added to be available to the committee.

Sep 29, 2020, 1:28 PM

Right, he meant two Pac 12 teams.

I wouldn't care if Clemson and Miami played in the final. If #1 Clemson beat # 4 while #2 Miami beat #3, they should play in the final. Why should the playoff committee purposely manipulate the rankings (which sounds a lot like bias) to ensure two teams from the same conference don't meet in the finals? Why do you need a "good way" to have two conference teams in the playoffs? Isn't the "good way" to let the committee vote in the best four teams? Isn't that the objective?

Sep 29, 2020, 1:38 PM

Well considering the fact that the only time a single conference has gotten 2 teams in the playoff, one of the teams didn't even win their division, I would say that letting the committee decide that year was not the "good way".

If in a full season you aren't even deemed the best team in your small division, why should you be given a mulligan simply because your players are talented.

The big argument is trying to say the committee wants the "best" 4 teams. In my opinion the "best" teams don't lose when it matters the most. Therefore a team who loses the key division game to keep them out of their title game or a team that loses their title game should be out of the running for the playoff.

Alabama in 2017 lost their very last game of the season to a team that turned around and lost the conference title game. Believing that Bama was one of the best 4 teams in the country after showing they were no better than 3rd in their own conference was misguided. The fact that their talent figured it out during their month layoff does not prove they should have been in the playoff.

The same situation happened in 2016 when Ohio St lost their division but was placed in the playoff. That team clearly couldn't perform when it mattered despite their talented (one of the best 4) roster.

No matter their talent level, they were not one of the best 4 teams during the season.

Sep 29, 2020, 1:46 PM

How do you conclude Bama shouldn't have been in the playoffs that year? The loss to Auburn? Bama was voted in then beat #1 Clemson and # 3 Georgia. There is a pretty compelling argument they were the best team in the country and despite the loss to Auburn, the committee knew it (and got it right). As for losses, it always matters but teams can recover. Clemson was an eyelash from losing a stunner to NC last year. Had that happened do you really think people would have concluded Clemson wasn't among the 4 best?

Sep 29, 2020, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Considering a conference may have 2 teams in the playoff ... ]

Yeah, cause we know how that works out for UGA, don't we????

What's it been now, like 40 years...?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2020, 12:56 PM

If it's 2 SEC teams, that will never happen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2020, 1:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Considering a conference may have 2 teams in the playoff ... ]

Shhhhh…...the grown ups are talking.

Right Now Clemson plus Miami is Looking as Probable as SEC

Sep 29, 2020, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Considering a conference may have 2 teams in the playoff ... ]

Getting 2 Teams.

Clemson Miami Bammer Florida

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see how this makes any sense at all...

Sep 29, 2020, 12:58 PM

All your idea does is insure that a conference with 2 teams in the playoff has at least one team make it to the National Championship game.

With no real OOC competition this year, conferences could be total frauds, and we'll never know until we see their representatives play against teams from other conferences. The legit teams will win in the end. There's no reason to create some arbitrary rule that doesn't really benefit anyone.

The only restriction that to me has any legitimacy is that the Playoff should only include conference champions. If a conference is willing to declare a champion, that means they are saying that every other team in the conference is worse than it's champion. If the goal of the Playoff is to find the best team in college football, and the conferences have already told us that every team other than their champ is worse than their conference champion, what's the point of including them?

While I don't necessarily disagree with you...

Sep 29, 2020, 1:01 PM

when it comes to seeding for the CFP, the committee is going to consider a lot of factors.

As a example, back in Back in 2015, Clemson played Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl while Bama got matched-up with Michigan State in the Cotton Bowl.

The CFP manipulated the seedings so Bama didn't have to play OU in the Cotton Bowl which would have effectively been a home game for the Sooners.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Sep 29, 2020, 1:03 PM

But that would make the semi playoff unnecessary as the two teams from the same conference most likely just met in their conference championship game.

Sep 29, 2020, 3:13 PM

Must watch television:

Seed the number one team.

Let them choose which of the other 3 teams they play in the first round.

Let the visitor choose where they play.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2020, 5:03 PM

Like others I agree and disagree. I think the best thing would be have a 6 team playoff with 1 & 2 getting a bye the first week.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1,498
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic