Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Conference homerism....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Conference homerism....

Jan 7, 2016, 6:34 PM

We all know that USuCk, and other sh**ty $EC programs just love to ride the coattails of the "other powerhouse" programs in their conference which got me thinking.....

Would you be pi$$ed off if a school like Weak Forest or puke, and that has little to no football history, ride our coattails or Free Seafood U?....

Discuss.....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Conference homerism....

Jan 7, 2016, 6:39 PM

See what you're saying but they are basketball schools and can hang their hats on that. So, is not a good comparison to usuc. Uh wait, they do have wimmens..nm

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wouldn't be bad if we had a couple of

Jan 7, 2016, 6:55 PM

UNC or Syracuse riding our coat tails.

Somebodies gotta carry our luggage....

I wouldn't like it but what would really tick me off...

Jan 7, 2016, 7:11 PM

Would be if Wake threw it in everybody's face. Like they were a tough team because they have to play Clemson and FSU every year. And it would make it even worse if a four lettered sports media network, with umpteen television channels and radio shows played into the hype. If this sports network said that Wake, BC, Cuse, Virginia were all great teams on the way up, and all of this based on the performance of a couple teams in their conference. It would burn me up, that when Clemson was handing them there butt during a game if the fans broke out into a cheer of ACC, ACC, ACC.

I think so much of the conference homer garbage from other conferences (not SEC) is a direct result of one conference being pumped above others. It's hard to stomach when you know that other teams outside of the SEC also have great football programs with history. But we are supposed to believe that Arkansas, Kentucky, Miss St., etc. are all better teams than every other team in the country. Just because they are in the conference that signed the biggest TV contract.

But no I wouldn't like it too much.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

7 spots on!

Jan 7, 2016, 9:10 PM

This conference cheering crap was invented by the 4 letter network in order to push the sec agenda during the bcs era or error, it continues now but at least it gives other conferences a chance, see LSU rematch for the ages. No one ever gave a crap until the endless gushing of conference over teams by 4 letter network. Now other conferences feel like they have to do it. For that sole reason I'd almost favor conference champions playing in playoffs to take the f-ING media intervention out of it.

Jan 7, 2016, 7:17 PM

I think it's possible that they are already are starting to ride our coat tails. I was in NYC for the holidays and decided to attend the Pinstripe Bowl between Duke and Indiana (actually a good game).

After the game, I saw a Duke fan running through the streets yelling "NOW, LET'S GO CLEMSON!"

Jan 7, 2016, 7:22 PM

Some conference pride is healthy, I pull for the other ACC schools in their bowl bids. But when they win I don't act like we all won I am just glad they did. I think we as Clemson are so put off by the whole conference pride thing mainly because of the method that the gamecocks use, stopping so low as to buy other teams gear and show up on other teams forums and our own trying to take shots at us that are from borrowed guns. That my friends is what discuss me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2016, 7:18 PM

Basically, you're saying is that virtually the entire SEC is chest-thumping about nothing. Other than Auburn, Bama, Florida, and LSU nobody else has won a National Championships in 15+ years years.

Ole Miss, USuCk, Kentucky, Vandy, Miss State, Arkansas are the worst offenders because they can't even win an SEC Championship, much less a National Title.

Programs like UGA and UT have at least "been there" once in a while during that span. Texas A&M and Mizzou get a pass because they're still relatively new. But, Mizzou has won a couple of SEC East Titles to their credit.

It's EPICALLY lame that SEC fans of schools that have done nothing EVER, and/or nothing in RECENT memory take credit for but a few school's recent success.

As a Clemson fan you won't ever hear me chanting "ACC", or hijacking a DUKE/UNC/SYRACUSE Basketball National Championship. Championships belong to the schools that win them, which is why they hand out ONLY ONE trophy.

If you don't have a trophy you aren't a Champion (I'm talking to you South Carolina), its that simple.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no

Jan 7, 2016, 7:24 PM

Don't care what they do

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting to note

Jan 7, 2016, 8:57 PM

You see any FSU fans here saying they hope we beat Bama? Me neither. I'm not picking on FSU fans - the point is that ACC fans don't think that Clemson winning had anything at all to do with them. Did we think that FSU winning the Natty was almost as good as us doing it? Of course not. USUCK is just the worst and this 'roll tide' BS should simply be seen as a very pathetic and embarrassing attempt to be relevant in the conversation.

The SEC - I don't say screw them. Why - do I say Screw the Pac 12? ###? These a conferences - conferences are associations - no conferences are playing the game.

It started with the BCS era and intended to boost...

Jan 7, 2016, 9:16 PM

the SEC's SOS for the computer program. It's worked.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't figure the Gamecocks out on this one.

Jan 7, 2016, 9:27 PM

I despise Gamecocks fans, but the kids on the team are all mostly decent kids from the same places that our kids come from. If we'd had a lousy season, and South Carolina looked like a freaking juggernaut, making it to the championship game, I would grudgingly root for them for that game, just because it would still look really cool to have that championship trophy in our tiny state.

Re: I can't figure the Gamecocks out on this one.

Jan 7, 2016, 9:51 PM

I wouldn't pull for FSU and Duke any more than I would for Sackerlina .
The very thought of rooting for anyone who isn't wearing a Paw is abhorrent to me .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Auburn vs Fla. st a couple of years ago

Jan 7, 2016, 10:19 PM

Anyway, the post-game drama began when a Gamecock football supporter took to an Auburn football message board to offer his thoughts on the game.

“Oh well, guess we can’t win ’em all,” the Carolina fan wrote. “Sucks it was against an a-she-she team. Good effort boyz.”

The message was entitled “Broke Our Streak,” a reference to the Southeastern Conference’s streak of seven straight national championships, which came to an end with Florida State’s win.

Auburn fans wasted little time in venting a little post-game frustration.

“Our streak?” one wrote. “Havent seen a #### anywhere near a title game.”

“(T)he ##### have no claim to any SEC championships,” another Auburn fan replied. “Your best team ever folded against this FSU team when they were in their freshman year … Save face ##### and just keep talking smack to Clemson fans instead of making yourselves look idiotic on this Auburn site. They deserved it, they made it, they played their ##### off.. You and the other SEC losers have nothing to do with this.”

Ouch …

Next, a University of South California fan got in on the action …

Our? We? you ##### are so pathetic, living off what other teams are doing. i am so glad, the SEC lost. because of mini teams like you.

Then it was back to Auburn supporters for some more trash talk …

they ride the coat tails of other SEC teams..they will never be contenders but yet they have this vision of themselves that I will never understand..can someone help me? When have the ##### ever been significant?????

Uscum roosters have an Alabama mouth and a Vanderbilt trophy case. Great game by both teams – sorry that either team had to lose

Read more at http://www.fitsnews.com/2014/01/07/auburn-fans-blast-south-carolina/#6vmqlT07POzRYTte.99

The is a Difference

Jan 7, 2016, 11:03 PM

Fans for another school wanting a team from the conference to win is one thing. You could argue that everyone in a conference benefits from another conference member winning a championship monetarily. On the other hand, becoming a fan of another team because they are in the conference is different. A conference doesn't field a team so I'm not sure how one can be a fan of a conference. You don't hear OSU chant "B1G, B1G, B1G".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic