Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Concerning our downfield passing...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Concerning our downfield passing...

Dec 23, 2017, 4:29 PM

Im not sure that we have needed to show very much during the course of the season. I feel louisville and citadel were basically the only two games that we opened the offense up. I also dont think we have needed to run etienne to his full potential. You could see the game plan for him against the u but we shut him down after getting up big.

I have seen this offense turn on and go down the field when needed which leads me to believe we have sandbagged most of the season.

What are TNets thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Concerning our downfield passing...

Dec 23, 2017, 4:31 PM

I tend to agree. We've left a lot of meat on the bone this year, so to speak. I think the explosiveness is there when/if we need it.

Dec 23, 2017, 4:43 PM

While I also agree, I was just mentioning to a friend last week - we haven’t run more than one or two “trick” plays all year long, never had to. Half of our opponents found themselves compelled to resort to trickery every 3rd down it seemed.

I think Jeff & Tony have plenty of surprises in the games to follow. Our film shows a conservative spread offense. I trust our coaches will have an awesome game plan put together for the next two games!

I don’t believe we sandbagged but outside of Syracuse and

Dec 23, 2017, 4:33 PM

Nc state, whether or not state reflected, we looked like the alpha dogs and looked in control. So agree we didn’t take the risks to go downfield at that point. We need to go downfield a few times to open up run and vice versa

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2017, 4:36 PM

I think we have sandbagged some but have not called very good plays when teams were giving us openings. We did not let our talented players show their true abilities.

Dec 23, 2017, 4:39 PM

The good news is that this coaching staff usually is at its best in big game scenarios. I expect a great game plan and sharp execution in these next two games.

Umm no...

Dec 23, 2017, 4:50 PM

...we haven't been sandbagging. I do agree we have opened up different parts of the playbook depending on who we are playing, but there's nothing new with that approach. Every team does that.

The difference is we have tended to be very effective rotating personnel, driving/scoring and game management. Thus the need to run ETN like a Herschel Walker maniac just isn't necessary.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Umm no...

Dec 23, 2017, 8:50 PM

Agree with the OP and you. We have been holding back but it hasn't been sandbagging; it's been risk aversion. We've played a load of games on a just-don't-blow-it basis.

The fourth quarter especially in most of our games this year has not been worth watching. I have this fear that in the playoffs if we have to run tempo and take shots the whole game, we'll get gassed before the opposing defense does.

One thing about this year's team is that we change

Dec 23, 2017, 4:52 PM

up drastically from game to game. The only teams with success against us was Cuse and State with the dink passes. We shut that down. That won't work. Bama's only chance is to run against us and throw down field and catch breaks with turnovers and special teams. We double team Ridley and cram the middle. Lot's of pressure and different looks.

We are going to run up the middle a lot and it will be frustrating until the 4th quarter when it starts working really well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Games after his injury, KB appeared to have lost his

Dec 23, 2017, 4:55 PM

confidence in downfield passing. One game had Cornell beating his man down near the 20. When he was asked about it (I think he took a big sack), he said "I should have just thrown it away", like he never knew Cornell was open, or he was too afraid to throw it, Dabo is very hard on them for turnovers. So I think he just got more conservative after injury. It was good to see that long pass to Cain for TD against Miami. Hopefully, he has his confidence back and he throws it downfield at least 4 times in first half to loosen up that bad Bama d.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Time to take the sand out of the bags...

Dec 23, 2017, 6:01 PM

and THROW it to the winds!

Get it?!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ankles are vital when producing velocity to project an...

Dec 23, 2017, 7:30 PM [ in reply to Games after his injury, KB appeared to have lost his ]

object. You're correct, he lost confidence in his ability to throw long. That's why he was money when he was moving and didn't depend on his feet, ankles, legs and hips to generate the power. He produced it with his trunk and arms.

As his ankle healed his ability to throw deep has returned but wasn't needed the last few games. Perhaps Bama can challenge him enough to need quick scores but I doubt it. Dabo may let him throw the deep pass to tear at Bama's nerves though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure I agree with that.

Dec 23, 2017, 9:36 PM

He missed some passes, especially in the middle of the season, but if truly have been paying attention to the entire picture, he's made some incredibly accurate throws when needed. From the pocket and on the run. The first one that pops into my head was the near perfect ball he threw to Deon against Miami for one of our later scores in that game..in that game alone, he made some great throws when needed. He may have had some confidencd concerns in the middle part of the season, but I don't think he lost confidence, as in, he does have it now.

Our entire season was dedicated to...

Dec 23, 2017, 7:25 PM

getting ready for the Playoff. We put backup in harm's way to prepare them to step in and perform like starters. The pressure put on them has hardened their minds and bodies to get to the last game of the season and beat whoever is on the other side of the ball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our entire season was dedicated to...

Dec 23, 2017, 10:37 PM

Exactly...I think this further broadens my point about explosiveness into a theme or motive for the team in general.

Don't think I really buy that theory.***

Dec 23, 2017, 7:53 PM

Dec 23, 2017, 9:17 PM

I think over the course of the season the staff got a better feel for what the team can do in game situations. The more games the younger players played in, the more comfortable they became and the playbook started to show it. With a defense like what we have, you don't have to do too much crazy stuff on offense. It seemed like many games we jumped out to a 2 possession lead and let the defense wear out the opponent

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic