Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coming from someone currently involved in Greek Life
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Coming from someone currently involved in Greek Life

Sep 23, 2014, 8:59 PM

At Clemson, here's a breakdown of incidents that have (allegedly) happened just this semester. Keep in mind, we're not even 5 weeks into the semester.

1. A sorority girl (supposedly a Tri Delta) claimed to have been drugged at the SigEp house at a party hosted by SigEp and Kappa Alpha (KA). There have been disputes that the girl simply drank too much and blacked out, rather than being drugged. It was also rumored that she engaged in sexual activities with the person who allegedly "drugged" her, however this simply here say at this point. It's also rumored that she went to the hospital and her bloodwork tested no trace of amphetamine (Adderall/Vyvanse), Benzodiazepine (Xanax), roofies or any type of "date rape drug", which led to many saying she hooked up with someone and regretted it, and started telling people she was drugged to make her look like a victim. Some even say they can confirm no sexual activity occurred at all. Regardless, these types of allegations are taken very seriously by the IFC, and rightfully so. Nobody can confirm for sure what actually happened, but action was rightfully taken.

2. The women's soccer hazing reports were released, and some of the accused "hazers" were members of various sororities. Hazing of any kind within sororities is almost completely absent at Clemson (fraternities are a different story). It seems like the hazing incident within the soccer program is independent from being involved with sorority life and completely coincidental.

3. Phone calls were made by concerned parents to the IFC council that their children were being forced into doing rigorous and sometimes degrading activities that they did not wish to engage in. Other calls were made stating suspicion of physical hazing occurring.

4. There were several DUIs reported involving both pledges and brothers of several different fraternities. 2 of the DUIs involved members of fraternities that are new to campus, and having these types of incidents occur in the early stages of membership are hard to overcome and the IFC treats them very seriously.

5. Now the incident with Tucker, which is the worst so far. I don't need to go in to anymore detail about what went down with this, other than the fact that a death was involved during a pledge task (which may or may not be coincidental).

I'm sure there have been other things that have happened, but this is a very rough start to the year for Greek Life, and (although I'm disappointed) the IFC was right to take action. This is by far the highest number of incidents ever reported in an entire school year, so the fact that all of this has happened after only 4 weeks is simply ridiculous and embarassing. Hopefully justice will be served swiftly so that the IFC can take further action to any parties needing further punishments. I'd hate to see this be the end of all Greek life due to the unintelligent actions of several Greek members.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coming from someone currently involved in Greek Life

Sep 23, 2014, 9:44 PM

Mom and Dad call to talk about fraternity life?

Oh my.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2014, 10:04 PM

Stop dismissing what the OP is saying. There are incidents being reported across the country that play into this. Wussification or kids gone wild? I tend to think the latter. A lack of consequences and total disrespect for the law. But I'm old, so ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree!

Sep 24, 2014, 9:02 PM

Frats have needed to clean up their act for years.

They talk about developing character and leadership, yet they encourage underage drinking. Thus they encourage their membership to break the law. And they haze, but say they don't. That is not the kind of leadership we should be developing. It is total BS.

Maybe the legal drinking age should be lowered. That is truly debatable. But the law is not debatable.

Sorry to sound like an old curmudgeon, but ...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2014, 9:51 PM

1. hearsay and innuendo. When there are names and facts, preferably indictments & charges, this carries weight
2. Alleged events that are said to have happened 3 years ago in which some of the participants were in sororities.. really?
3. IFC has a phone number? could you provide it.. I cannot find it on the "contact us" page of the IFC site.
4. How many total student DUI's have there been this semester? How many have been committed by students in the greek system. Per the IFC website 23% of students at Clemson are involved in Greek life. If there have only been 4 DUI's by these students, I would say this is an endorsement not an indictment of the Greek system.
5. Hold your bullets until you have a target. The Oconee County Sheriff says there is no evidence of hazing at this point. If a morning run is hazing, then the Clemson ROTC is in violation.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"To hell with the best team winning, I want us to win!"- Frank Howard

Sep 23, 2014, 9:56 PM

Never understood Greek life. Seems silky to me, but to each there own I guess.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Always comment on something you don't understand?

Sep 24, 2014, 6:48 AM

I bet your coworkers laugh at you for this.

Re: Always comment on something you don't understand?

Sep 24, 2014, 2:33 PM

You have been so butthurt today.

We know you are superior because you were in a social club in college. You don't have to remind us every post.

I am not superior due to being in a fraternity....

Sep 24, 2014, 6:25 PM

I'm superior because I'm confident and cool. Qualities many of my fraternity brothers also posessed. It was a great experience for myself but it is not for everyone.

Re: I am not superior due to being in a fraternity....

Sep 25, 2014, 12:02 AM

I'm pretty sure only frat bros use phrases that start with "I'm superior because..."

Interesting that all Athletic Teams have not been suspended.

Sep 23, 2014, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Coming from someone currently involved in Greek Life ]

If the Women's Soccer Team was hazing (see lawsuit) are we not to assume (as we always do with the Greeks) that all the teams must be hazing?

And what about the Band? They hazed at FAMU. So why not here?

Sounds like a list of excuses and deflection***

Sep 23, 2014, 10:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Coming from someone currently involved in Greek Life ]

Re: Sounds like a list of excuses and deflection***

Sep 23, 2014, 10:27 PM

I dunno, Tigs, but I sure feel for the Hipp family, regardless of the circumstances. Losing a child is a tragedy that cripples families in ways that most cannot fathom. Sadly, I can.

Sep 23, 2014, 11:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Coming from someone currently involved in Greek Life ]

Clemson University mails letters to the parents if every student who was given a bid, which includes a number to call if "at any point you have concerns about your child or if you suspect mistreatment"

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, in regards to #4

Sep 23, 2014, 11:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Coming from someone currently involved in Greek Life ]

Pledges driving drunk after only pledging 2-3 is moronic. That should NEVER go on, and the brothers are to make sure that they are never put in that position.

There used to be a program in which pledges took turns

Sep 24, 2014, 3:44 PM

serving as sober drivers.

The University decided that having pledges serve as sober drivers was hazing and banned it.

Most fraternities now have initiated brothers fill that role, but if there are people getting DUIs then clearly the new system is not as effective as the previous one.

Aaaaaaand there's the knee-jerk reaction I was talking about***

Sep 24, 2014, 8:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Coming from someone currently involved in Greek Life ]

Sep 24, 2014, 3:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Coming from someone currently involved in Greek Life ]

Sports team members must be evaluated by a medical professional and cleared to participate in physical activity. This is commonly referred to as a "physical" examination. I would be shocked if this weren't a requirement for ROTC members as well. On the other hand, I would be shocked if Greek organizations require this type of clearing before subjecting their members to physical activity.

So to point at other orgs and say it is the same thing as making pledges go on a morning run is simply not true.

You didn't look very hard for the IFC phone number

Sep 24, 2014, 9:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Coming from someone currently involved in Greek Life ]

It is 864-656-0502.

And if the frat really wants to get to the bottom of this and find the truth, their members and pledges should take lie detector tests.

Sep 23, 2014, 10:00 PM

This is a HUGE black eye to The Clemson University Family.

Sep 24, 2014, 8:47 AM

Excellent, reasoned post. Thank you for shedding some sense on this from the Greek point of view. It's nice to hear something other than the typical knee-jerk reaction from the Greek community.

Sometimes Greek life gets out of control and has to be checked. It's a cyclical pattern of testing their boundaries, and now Clemson is reining them back in. I think this is a good thing.

Addressing this point by point

Sep 24, 2014, 3:50 PM

1. No drugs in the girls system, still potential for a sexual assault charge, but that would be on an individual, not the group as a whole.

2. This happened several years ago, the suit was just filed in recent weeks. None of the allegations in the report say anything about Greek life, and no sororities have received any sort of punishment so far this semester.

3. This happens every semester and is normally (and should always be) addressed on a case-by-case basis.

4. There is no excuse to drive drunk ever, but I'd like to see statistics on how many DUIs are given out in the greek population compared to the general student population. I'd bet money that the rate among the general population is higher.

5. Again a terrible occurrence, and my heart goes out to Hipp's family, but at this point we don't have all of the facts so any long-term action would be extremely premature.

Sanity not vindictive jealousy like many posts above*.*****

Sep 24, 2014, 6:28 PM

If his frat really cared about seeking the truth, they would

Sep 24, 2014, 9:03 PM

require their members and pledges to take lie detector tests.

Issue #1 is grounds for sexual assault in the military

Sep 25, 2014, 12:45 AM

Due to the act occurring after the girl was known to be drunk. Not sure how this translates into the civil side currently.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic