Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
College football's regular season is hands down the best
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 95
| visibility 1

College football's regular season is hands down the best

Dec 13, 2018, 9:12 AM

regular season sport to watch. The college football playoffs have been incredible every year. Changing this is beyond stupid IMO.

For teams not in the playoffs, get better.

Every single year the playoffs have given us a true champion. Every. Single. Year.

If the playoff moves to 8 teams, there will be 2-loss teams making the playoffs and if they happen to upset a team that has gone undefeated all year, does that make them the best team in the country? Would Barry Alvarez give a #### about expanding the playoffs if Wisconsin had gotten in last year? Or Ohio State last year and this year? The best team in the country does not lose by ~30 on the road to Purdue, so why let them play for the national championship? The best team in the country does not get a mudhole stomped in them on the road at LSU, so why let them play for a national championship?

The 4-team playoff works. Expand it to 8 cheapens the regular season and just creates debate as to who should get the 7th or 8th playoff spot instead of the 3rd or 4th. The 4 teams in the playoff this year have clearly had the 4 best seasons in college football, and there is a big jump from the 4th team to the 5th team. 8 teams is stupid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: College football's regular season is hands down the best

Dec 13, 2018, 9:14 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Okay then, so 6 teams, maybe?

Dec 13, 2018, 9:20 AM

TIA in advance for considering my proposal....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

After considering your proposal, I have decided

Dec 13, 2018, 9:25 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: After considering your proposal, I have decided

Dec 13, 2018, 9:31 AM

You are wrong sir. Name another sport that doesn't have a playoff system in place? Every other division of NCAA football + NFL have playoffs...why is FBS different? In my opinion, the current 4 team playoff doesn't do it enough.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Name another sport whose regular season

Dec 13, 2018, 10:03 AM

is as exciting as FBS college football's regular season.

GWP off the top rope!

Dec 13, 2018, 10:37 AM

Re: Name another sport whose regular season

Dec 13, 2018, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Name another sport whose regular season ]

...as if the regular season matters in the big picture when all is said and done. Championship or bust for teams in the top tier. IF Clemson takes a step back, I assume your narrative will change and you'll be pushing for the Tigers to be 8 seed in playoff and chance to win natty. Am I right???

Fair is fair, if Clemson were to fall out of top 4

Dec 13, 2018, 11:07 AM

then I am sure there are 4 more deserving/better/eyeball test/SEC/ teams out there.

We do not have to worry about that since Clemson "IS" in the top 4, thanks for playing though!

You are wrong. If Clemson takes a step back, then they

Dec 13, 2018, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Name another sport whose regular season ]

will not be a national championship caliber team and should not be in a playoff to win a national championship.

Re: You are wrong. If Clemson takes a step back, then they

Dec 13, 2018, 11:12 AM

The fact is Clemson has only proven they are better than the 13 teams they’ve played out of 130.

Are we better than UGA, Ohio St., Michigan? You have no clue.

Same goes for the rest of the playoff teams except Alabama because they actually beat UGA on the field.

If we were to beat Ohio State in an expanded

Dec 13, 2018, 11:15 AM

playoff does that prove we are better than them? Does that mean Purdue is a better team than Ohio State?

Okay then, since we don't "know" then let's do this.

Dec 14, 2018, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Re: You are wrong. If Clemson takes a step back, then they ]

There are 130 FBS teams, and since we don't "know" if one team is better than another unless they play, we will have a 129 team schedule. Everyone plays everyone once. We can have roughly 3 games per week. However, this also leaves time in the calendar to replay games, in the instance that one team had a key player hurt, or there was bad weather, or the conditions for an impartial evaluation aren't perfect.

This gives us the best chance to "know" if one team is better than another, due to head-to-head matchups, while also seeing how two teams compare in terms of 128 common opponents.

I don't know how we will work in a playoff system, but to be "fair" we will need to allow at least half of those teams to be in the playoffs. Right?!? So we have a playoff of 64 teams, progressing to a national championship game.

Good luck! May the best team win!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Dec 13, 2018, 11:14 AM [ in reply to You are wrong. If Clemson takes a step back, then they ]

If clemson loses to Syracuse it is debatable that we do not make the playoffs this year with the way everything played out. Does that mean we're not a championship caliber team?

We didn't lose to Syracuse, but if we had lost to

Dec 13, 2018, 11:17 AM

Syracuse and we got left out of the playoffs as a result I would be fine with that. There's no excuse for losing to Syracuse.

Re: We didn't lose to Syracuse, but if we had lost to

Dec 13, 2018, 11:26 AM

Interesting take. We'll revisit this when we cycle out.

I for one feel that an expanded playoff captures more teams with legitimate chances for being crowned national champion (UCF, OSU, Mich, WV, etc). BCS era was terrible, 4 team playoff is progress but I think we still have room to improve. Every other sport has a significant playoff system in place..even if the regular season is watered down slightly, the uptick in post season play is definitely worth it. I haven't even brought up the potential financial gains yet...only a matter of time.

"When we cycle out"

Dec 13, 2018, 12:12 PM

Lol....dont hold your breath, coot!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every one of those teams you mentioned had a legitimate

Dec 13, 2018, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Re: We didn't lose to Syracuse, but if we had lost to ]

chance for being crowned national champion:

OSU - beat Purdue and you're in the playoffs
Michigan - beat Ohio State and win the B1G championship and you're in the playoffs
WV - why do you even list them? They lost 3 freaking games to Iowa State, Oklahoma State and Oklahoma. But win those 3 games and the B12CG and they're in
UCF - Well, maybe they have a legit beef and they have been victims the last 2 years of hurricanes canceling a P5 matchup. BUT, if they'd be willing to schedule 1 SEC road game every year and go undefeated they'd be in.

Re: Every one of those teams you mentioned had a legitimate

Dec 13, 2018, 12:23 PM

They beat the ACC coastal champion by a lot, yet they don't belong....absurdity.

I don't even know what you're referring to***

Dec 13, 2018, 12:26 PM

Re: I don't even know what you're referring to***

Dec 13, 2018, 12:28 PM

You saying UCF needed to do more to be deemed worthy of the playoffs.

They beat the crap out of the ACC coastal champion on their way to going undefeated yet you say they shouldn't have a chance at the national championship....

So UCF beating unranked Pitt at home is enough of a

Dec 13, 2018, 12:32 PM

resume builder to contend for a national championship? Or is beating #24 Cincinnati at home what sets them over the edge? Schedule and beat better teams and they're in. UCF controls their OOC schedule.

Re: So UCF beating unranked Pitt at home is enough of a

Dec 13, 2018, 12:37 PM

It's the fact that they went undefeated also.

Our best win is ranked a mere 5 spots higher than 24th FYI.

Sorry I made a mistake, Cincinnati was #24 when

Dec 13, 2018, 12:43 PM

UCF played them, they are unranked now. UCF has 0 wins against teams currently in the top 25. Clemson has 2 wins against teams currently in the top 25.

It's OK. UCF will go undefeated and claim back to back

Dec 13, 2018, 5:03 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't even know what you're referring to*** ]

championships. And the NCAA will say, "sure, whatever you want." I think UCF should be in over OU though just to watch Alabama stomp a mudhole in them.

Re: Every one of those teams you mentioned had a legitimate

Dec 13, 2018, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Every one of those teams you mentioned had a legitimate ]

And the point you still can't grasp is that every team doesn't have to cross the same hurdles.

We got a bye in the ACC championship while others teams had to put their playoff hopes on the line.

Even worse last season Alabama got to sit at home that week and still got in....

AND YOU ARE DEFENDING THAT SYSTEM?!?!?!

INSANITY!

Yes, because it has worked flawlessly***

Dec 13, 2018, 12:33 PM

ya'll were a 6 win team in the SEC East..so if you wanna

Dec 14, 2018, 8:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Every one of those teams you mentioned had a legitimate ]

call that a bye until the Belk Bowl then...whatever floats you're boat. You guys are irrelevant, take walk son...

BINGO! That's what ulitmately is going to prod the move

Dec 13, 2018, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Re: We didn't lose to Syracuse, but if we had lost to ]

from 4 to 8 teams! Money, all players will be thrilled to bring home more $. Bank on it, maybe not next year maybe not until the current contract is up in 2026 but it's coming!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That doesn't make it any less stupid***

Dec 13, 2018, 1:13 PM

You were holding your own, kind of, until

Dec 14, 2018, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Re: We didn't lose to Syracuse, but if we had lost to ]

you brought up UCF

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2018, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Re: You are wrong. If Clemson takes a step back, then they ]

We didnt lose to Syracuse

hth

Full contact female mud wrasslin'

Dec 14, 2018, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Name another sport whose regular season ]

HANDS DOWN

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: After considering your proposal, I have decided

Dec 13, 2018, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Re: After considering your proposal, I have decided ]

The chaos and incredibly incredibly slim margin of error in FBS football is the reason people watch it. One slip up, you are done, and there is a HUGE margin of odds in favor of those slip ups occuring.

Simply put, FBS football is the most intensely chaotic sport in the world. It isnt designed for parity, like soccer. It is designed to be lopsided, and a chaotic, mess. That is why it is exciting.

Re: Okay then, so 6 teams, maybe?

Dec 13, 2018, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Okay then, so 6 teams, maybe? ]

Then people will ##### about who deserves the 6 seed and who deserves the 1 & 2 seeds due to the byes.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Indeed they will

Dec 13, 2018, 9:59 AM

And I'm not advocating for this plan, but the argument that whatever number is chosen will just cause a debate at that point is missing the point IMO.

Those advocating for expanding the playoff are doing so such that it is likely that that debate will be at a point where teams are clearly less likely to win the title through a playoff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And we are there already

Dec 13, 2018, 10:44 AM

Ohio State proved that they are clearly less likely to win the title through a playoff when they got taken to the woodshed by Purdue. Even if you don't look at the LSU game, UGA proved that they are clearly less likely to win the title through a playoff when they lost to a team that is already in the playoff.

Dec 13, 2018, 9:37 AM

I agree wholeheartedly. To add, the semifinals have rarely been close anyways. There have only been two games in the CFP's existence to which the game was decided by a touchdown or less. UGA/OU last year and O310/BAMA in the first playoff. Also, The losers of the semifinals games have been outscored 309-133. Adding more teams would cheapen the regular season AND the playoff, neither of which fans should be in favor of.

As a counterpoint

Dec 13, 2018, 9:49 AM

(Note, I'm not advocating here for an 8 team playoff here)

Your argument that the semi-finals have rarely been close is somewhat diminished by the fact that thus far the #4 & #2 teams have both won the whole thing twice and the #1 & #3 teams have never won the CFP championship.

That would seem to argue that what team gets in at #4 isn't a trivial discussion. Advocates for increasing the CFP field are doing so, in part, to try and place the point of debate farther down the road where it would be less likely that a team likely to win the title is left out.

Not necessarily my reasoning, but it does, IMO, diminish your point.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2018, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Re: College football's regular season is hands down the best ]

You’re missing the obvious.

What you just stated highlights how the regular season results aren’t truly producing the best four teams.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

No, it points out that many years there are really

Dec 13, 2018, 12:21 PM

only 2 or 3 teams that are national championship caliber teams, which is even more reason to not expand. Last year there were 3 teams that should have been in the playoffs: Bama, Georgia and Oklahoma. The committee got the teams right, but the seeding was wrong. Clemson should have been seeded 4 instead of 1.

Re: No, it points out that many years there are really

Dec 14, 2018, 8:44 AM

Wait so you’re saying Alabama deserved to be in last year after failing to win their division and getting basically a bye during the conference championships?

that's about as hindsight revisionist as you can get***

Dec 14, 2018, 11:22 AM [ in reply to No, it points out that many years there are really ]

Dec 13, 2018, 12:30 PM [ in reply to Re: College football's regular season is hands down the best ]

It's only purpose is to produce a clear cut #1 national champion not the "four best teams."

Georgia wasn't one of the 4 best teams, let it go you

Dec 13, 2018, 8:02 PM [ in reply to Re: College football's regular season is hands down the best ]

shameless loser

Dec 13, 2018, 9:40 AM

The best team in the country doesn't lose in a basketball arena....

Now how do you like your argument?

what? I'm unable to follow you. Help me out, please.***

Dec 13, 2018, 9:53 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: what? I'm unable to follow you. Help me out, please.***

Dec 13, 2018, 10:01 AM

Ahem.....

Didn’t hear anybody on here bitching about a team who lost to Syracuse who went 4-8 making the playoffs last year.

Re: what? I'm unable to follow you. Help me out, please.***

Dec 13, 2018, 10:05 AM

we only lost by one or two points if I remember correctly. Also, uga, okla. and bama all lost a game last year. I still don't understand your comment about "best team losing in an arena".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Starting QB out in 2nd quarter, should have never played

Dec 13, 2018, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Re: what? I'm unable to follow you. Help me out, please.*** ]

and that Syracuse team was undefeated at 3-0 coming into the game and fell apart afterward. The committee factors in such injuries, and most importantly it was early enough in the season to not take Clemson out of playoff race. The Tigers were ranked top 4 by end of the year, thus should and did make the playoffs! Why would you think differently, asking for those who need more knowledge of the point you are trying to make which is pointless ??

Dec 13, 2018, 10:00 AM [ in reply to Re: College football's regular season is hands down the best ]

We clearly werent the best team in the country last year.

If you want to make the playoffs, you get ONE mulligan. Ours was on the road on a Friday with our starting QB hirt for 3 quarters that resulted in a 3 point loss. Had we lost again, no, we wouldn't be playoff worthy

HTH

Dec 13, 2018, 10:06 AM

And how does this make the regular season more meaningful as a whole in college football?

The closer you get to the end the less the games matter. Only a few teams are playing for anything.

If say 16 teams got in, which is still an insanely small percentage of the overall field, the importance of the regular season games would increase for more teams as the season goes along....which is why the NFL is so exciting this time of year.

Dec 13, 2018, 10:08 AM

in honesty, this year there were seven teams who went to the last week (including conference championships) vying for a chance to make the playoffs. What gets more exciting than that? IF we had an 8 team playoffs, it wouldn't have been as exciting.

Dec 13, 2018, 10:16 AM

And there would have been that many more games that were meaningful if the field were doubled.

There is too big of a disparity in scheduling and too small a sample size of non conference games with too large a field to accurately choose only 4 teams.

Dec 13, 2018, 10:33 AM

I think there will always be this debate. If they increase to eight teams, then people will argue for 9-12. NCAA basketball has added the play-in game. It'll probably will not be long before more teams are added and they'll be awards given for "Participation."

the current system is more rewarding of "participation"

Dec 13, 2018, 1:34 PM

Than anything else. 39 different bowl winners get a trophy for winning 1 game. How can anything be more "participation trophy" than that?

Dec 13, 2018, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Re: College football's regular season is hands down the best ]

Look your team’s season will always be meaningless after 4 games so quit trying to monkey up a meaningful 4 team playoff.

I agree 100% and would have been fine if

Dec 13, 2018, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Re: College football's regular season is hands down the best ]

Clemson got left out last year because of it. So I still like my argument. Is there anything else you'd like to add or is that all you got?

Thanks for the definitive post on the CFP format

Dec 13, 2018, 10:10 AM

I'm sure this will put an end to new threads on the topic.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

You're welcome in advance***

Dec 23, 2021, 6:53 PM

Dec 13, 2018, 10:10 AM

this is why I have been lobbying for 32 teams, and the playoffs start September 1st. The other 96 teams can all just play themselves for their own special championship. But big boy football starts September 1st, oh... and there would also be Wednesday night football.

you're welcome

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't we just all be champions?

Dec 13, 2018, 10:11 AM

Asking for a friend, Kirby

Dec 13, 2018, 10:14 AM

I agree. Until an undefeated P5 team gets left out (particularly if that team is left out in favor of a 1 loss SEC team), then this expansion argument is just a lot of whining about nothing.

I kinda respectfully disagree ...

Dec 13, 2018, 10:22 AM

Without writing a book ... we need to determine the true Champion ...

SIXTEEN team playoff

Championship of EACH FBS Conference automatically goes (10 Teams)
+
SIX Wildcards, determined by ranking
=
16 Team Playoff, Sweet 16 of College Football

Everybody lose one cupcake game a year, for 11 game regular season, make room for playoff games

FCS has very similar system now, works very well

What do with extra week, lost revenue ???

Use that extra free weekend in the stadium for a Rock Concert, Rap Concert, Tractor Pull, Demolition Derby, whatever ... whatever the local population is "in too" ... Also gives our Student-Athletes more time to study for bio-chem, math class, recover from injuries ....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, Agreed

Dec 13, 2018, 10:54 AM

4 team playoff will always be the perfect system. Allow 6 teams, then 7 on will cry... Allow 8 teams, then 9 on will cry... After a full season of college football, there is not 8 college football teams that are close to equal. Heck, this year there are truly 2 top teams and it is painfully obvious to anyone who follows the sport even remotely. Yes Oklahoma is very good, and yes Notre Dame is very good and deserve playoffs along with Clemson and Alabama...

Georgia and all the rest DO NOT deserve the playoff nor did they do what needed to be done during regular season.

College Basketball March Madness is really cool, but there is 55+ teams that truly have NO chance to win it all except for the occasional NC State run. March Madness is about the history of the game, celebrating the underdogs playing as 14/15/16 role and spoiling a teams chance while getting to play at least 1 more game. Do they deserve it more, who knows, but on the court for that 1 game they played better. In football this type system is not necessary, 13 games of 60 minute football games will tell you who the 4 best teams are and YES there will be controversy to some extent every year. But in the end, the 4 best teams have made it in playoffs every single year since it started 5 years ago now.

College football playoffs at more than 4 teams truly waters down the importance of regular season performance. Each team needs to play every week like it is a playoff contention game, it needs to mean something. 4 teams in, it just works and is easily the best system possible.

To build on your point, the

Dec 13, 2018, 11:03 AM

NCAA tournament makes the season meaningless. It is possible that a team can lose every single regular season game and still make the tournament. The only thing that matters in college basketball are the conference tournaments and the NCAA tournament.

The NCAA basketball tournament, as much as I really love the excitement of it, is a terrible way to declare a national champion. A 68-team single elimination tournament.

True point, but wow those 1st round games can be

Dec 13, 2018, 11:16 AM

crazy chaos!! Basketball and football are so different, no way to compare the sports thus I am fine with 68 team fields although I do agree it makes regular season almost meaningless... there are a few at large bids thankfully (thus Clemson made it to Sweet 16 last year)

This makes good cents,

Dec 13, 2018, 10:55 AM

and coming from you, that is quite the shock.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

I agree 100%. I had to turn of 105.5 the roar today because

Dec 13, 2018, 11:01 AM

all they are talking about is how the system is "broken". This is by far the best system we have ever had and I don't see a single example where the #5 team would have been the best in the country.

We are trying to find the #1 team. This is so much better than the BCS and I'm fine with it. The SEC claims that life isn't fair.. YEA RIGHT. They will be the only conference that has a chance to get 2 teams in going forward. Take that to the bank. If UGA wouldn't have gotten blown out by a mediocre LSU team they would have been in this year!

UGA's defense is a fraud. They were over rated last year too, they had no chance of stopping a passing team. They couldn't even stop Jalen Hurts passing attack.

It's possible for a two loss team to be better...

Dec 13, 2018, 11:05 AM

than an undefeated team. I give you ND and UGA for example. It's quite subjective but Imo, UGA is the better of the two. I also believe Ohio's Tate may be better. I'd also add that some teams...wait, before I go on I just want to point out that I'm not a fan of expanding the payoff to 4,6,8 or even 16 teams. This is only a response to your question of whether a two loss team could be better than an undefeated team.

We have circumstances where some recruits come to college with their skill nearly at its potential and their bodies are near to being ready to play. Mostly there's a mix of the two and the teams which get recruits which are near their potential are more likely to not improve from one season.

Other schools which take kids with undeveloped skills may develop players enough through the course of one season and radically change the overall ability of the team.

I'm in full agreement that the regular season could be destroyed if we start adding teams to the playoff. The regular season is the expanded playoff, imo. My solution for the whiners is recruit more talented players and develop them as efficiently as the other coaches.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wrong as you've been your whole life

Dec 13, 2018, 11:13 AM

and that's sayin' a lot

And imagine such a system for any other sport, say, NFL. "13 guys in a smoke filled room decide who's in the top 4, everybody else left out, goes to corporate sponsored bowl games". Sounds ludicrous b/c it is. That's why nobody or no other sport does it.

I think you're stuck in "Hyperbowlee" as someone put it.

Yes, let's keep comparing this to the NFL where teams

Dec 13, 2018, 12:07 PM

play 16 regular season games, play everyone in their division twice, and each division has 4 identical "OOC" games. It sounds ludicrous to make this comparison b/c it is.

Too many teams getting in will definitely kill the regular

Dec 13, 2018, 12:27 PM

season, look what it did to College Basketball

March madness killed college basketball?

Dec 13, 2018, 1:28 PM

Really?

It has watered down the regular season, just like it would

Dec 13, 2018, 8:01 PM

in CFB

The regular season for college basketball is

Dec 14, 2018, 8:40 AM [ in reply to March madness killed college basketball? ]

completely meaningless, and the more you expand the college football playoff the regular season becomes more meaningless.

Use the Texas A&M game as an example this year. If the winner of the ACC is an automatic qualifier for the playoffs then that game no longer matters.

When you look back at Clemson's season, there were 2 really big, pivotal games: Texas A&M and Syracuse. With an expanded playoffs, one of those two games doesn't even matter anymore. Even if there aren't automatic qualifiers, the TAMU game does not matter. And in my opinion, that sucks.

Re: The regular season for college basketball is

Dec 14, 2018, 10:39 AM

Not saying I'm a fan of expanding the playoff but here is a counterpoint to the argument that regular season would be diminished:

If we lose to Syracuse or A&M in the current format, you're correct, we are most likely out of the playoff. This makes those games matter more in the 4 team playoff. However, if the playoff were expanded to 8 teams and the top 4 teams were awarded home games for the first round, then those games would still matter because teams would want the best resume possible so that they would have the clear advantage of hosting an additional home game. Who wouldn't be up for an additional home game in Death Valley with so much on the line?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!!

You make a fair point, but it also brings up a whole new set

Dec 14, 2018, 10:53 AM

of problems:

Current system - every game matters, 4 teams get in and there is debate about whose resume earned the 4th spot.

Expanded system - not every game matters, 8 teams get in and there will be debate about whose resume earned the 7th and 8th spots. Also, there will be debate over the 4 teams whose resumes earned a home game.

Aside from the fact that teams 5 through 8 have no business competing in the playoffs, there is a huge economic benefit to the schools and local economy for school 4 ahead of school 5. How long before people declare the system is broken because it helps the rich get richer? Hosting a regular season game at Death Valley is one thing, is the infrastructure in place to host a playoff game?

With 8 slots, what's the chances of 2 SEC teams hosting

Dec 14, 2018, 11:49 AM

every year? I'd say pretty good

Chances would be really good***

Dec 14, 2018, 12:11 PM

It would have been the 2 teams this year, that is undeniable***

Dec 14, 2018, 12:46 PM

more games throughout the country would mean a lot more

Dec 14, 2018, 11:19 AM [ in reply to The regular season for college basketball is ]

during the season. Games like Oregon/Washington, West Virginia/Texas, LSU/Florida, Ohio State/Penn State etc would have been factors in the playoff and therefore bigger games. When more teams that are alive, the more games have bigger implications.

lesser repercussions for losses though...like BB***

Dec 14, 2018, 11:49 AM

true but at the end of the day

Dec 14, 2018, 12:01 PM

Only 8 are getting. That's still a very small group

Not small enough to exclude built in season losses...You

Dec 14, 2018, 12:48 PM

want to see 3 more teams get the Bama treatment? Even if we are one of them?

Those games are already factors in the playoffs***

Dec 14, 2018, 12:13 PM [ in reply to more games throughout the country would mean a lot more ]

Yep, lose them now and you're on the outside hoping someone

Dec 14, 2018, 12:49 PM

else drops one

This, so much this...Also, I like the Regular Season being

Dec 14, 2018, 11:44 AM [ in reply to The regular season for college basketball is ]

the elimination process VS knowing you have a built-in loss cushion

Dec 13, 2018, 12:30 PM

You know there are only 4 sports boards in America right now that you can find people defending CFB's playoff system....

What's your point?***

Dec 13, 2018, 12:37 PM

That this isn't the only board he flames on?***

Dec 13, 2018, 12:40 PM

So how's the view from the cellar?

Dec 13, 2018, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Re: College football's regular season is hands down the best ]

Everything looks good from up here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The system works just fine JCoot.

Dec 13, 2018, 11:44 PM [ in reply to Re: College football's regular season is hands down the best ]

Besides there’s no playoff expansion possible that would result in Chickens filling a bracket.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're right

Dec 14, 2018, 11:06 AM

We have a good number know. They'll change it to allow other regions in though. It's too South East dominate for TV and TV pays the bills.

Exactly***

Dec 14, 2018, 1:02 PM

States where teams have made it from include

Dec 14, 2018, 1:32 PM [ in reply to You're right ]

Alabama
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Ohio
Oklahoma
Indiana
Washington
Oregon
Michigan

That's 4 states in the southeast, 1 in the southwest (I guess Oklahoma is southwest - I don't geography good), 3 in the midwest (if you include Michigan as midwest) and 2 in the Pac northwest.

This year you have 2 southeastern teams and 2 from outside the southeast. If you expanded this year's playoffs to 8 you're probably adding Georgia and UCF to the playoffs and it's still southeast dominant.

Replies: 95
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic