Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
College football is still a beauty contest in large part,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,184

College football is still a beauty contest in large part,

Nov 6, 2019, 7:11 PM

at least to the extent that polls matter, including the CFP poll. It will remain so as long as all power 5 conference winners are not guaranteed a slot, while schools that don't even win their divisions are allowed in. The CFP has been a big step in the right direction, but remains fundamentally flawed. The CFP committee members are not a group of totally objective, rational experts isolated in a cave somewhere away from sports media and it's potentail influence. Rather, they are normal human beings very much subject to the influence of the narrative that is created by sports media, even if it is subconsciously. It will be interesting to see how much it impacts the committee going forward, and whether or not it impacts us. I agree with most everyone, in that if we win out, we are in. Still, I guarantee there will be a big push for a one-loss Bama/LSU/Ohio St./PSU, if those are close losses to each other, to be in ahead of Clemson, or maybe even UGA if they win the SEC. I'm not saying that any of those teams would get in ahead of this, but my point is that that argument will be made by many and will be regarded as a serious, valid one by many in the media, which we know influences the CFP. Bottom line - it's still a beauty contest left up to judges until the final four are selected, and it shouldn't be that way.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: College football is still a beauty contest in large part,

Nov 6, 2019, 7:24 PM

I think that you are right Smiley and I truly expect the field to be extended to eight next year. I hope not but that is the direction that we are headed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope you are right. I definitely think we'll eventually

Nov 6, 2019, 7:28 PM

get there, but don't know how soon. I heard somewhere last night that less than 50% of college coaches favor expansion at this time.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I hope you are right. I definitely think we'll eventually

Nov 6, 2019, 7:39 PM

Coaches do not like the idea of playing two extra games and a field of eight would require that. Can you imagine preparing your team to play a 17th game in one season? The Championship game would likely be in February and thats getting close to spring ball time!

It could easily be done.

Nov 6, 2019, 8:04 PM

Only 4 teams would play one more game than they do now if they make the playyoff. Is that really all that's holding us back?

- H. L. Mencken

The Integrity of College Football Is On the LIne.

Nov 6, 2019, 8:22 PM

They(novice fans and general population) will start putting College football in the same realm as: Pro wrestling and boxing if they leave out an Undefeated Conference Champion that has a top 10 offense and defense and has won 2 of the last two National Championships!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Scrap the FCS games that no one wants to see.***

Nov 6, 2019, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope you are right. I definitely think we'll eventually ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Scrap the FCS games that no one wants to see.***

Nov 6, 2019, 9:11 PM

clemchem® said:

Most of these people yesterday and today did not speak to Clemson's schedule though. They spoke to the U.N.Cheats game as "not being dominant"! They said, everyone else dominated the competition where as Clemson hasn't all the time.

They have also scrapped the idea that football is about more than just offense! Wait are all the members from the Big 12?

We'll get there quick when ***gasp*** Bama is left out

Nov 6, 2019, 8:45 PM [ in reply to I hope you are right. I definitely think we'll eventually ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 6, 2019, 7:33 PM [ in reply to Re: College football is still a beauty contest in large part, ]

Even novice fans would question the validity of a defending national champion that's undefeated - not being given a chance to defend their title.
College football isn't pro boxing quite yet. So, I agree, this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Nov 6, 2019, 8:18 PM [ in reply to Re: College football is still a beauty contest in large part, ]

Item because gotta get more sec teams in ??

Nov 6, 2019, 7:28 PM

Agreed.
I might add too "it's becoming predictable"! This season especially, traditional power house schools are getting the benefit of the doubt. Everyone else will have to really stand out to be considered. Including a recent National Champion!
Remember now, the old way use to be straight up "voted on".
Imagine last year without having beaten us Alabama would have won it. You had basically no chance if you didn't win your conference. This system is better but still flawed because of the perceived strength of opponents played.

Nov 6, 2019, 7:34 PM

Imho, it's about $$$$$.

The purpose of the Committee was to reduce subjectivity...

Nov 6, 2019, 7:39 PM

but this Committee seems intent on memorializing it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As long as there is a committee, there will be that danger.***

Nov 6, 2019, 7:41 PM

- H. L. Mencken

Re: As long as there is a committee, there will be that danger.***

Nov 6, 2019, 7:47 PM

. AND DRAMA .

Absolutely! To think that the CFP committee doesn't care...

Nov 6, 2019, 7:45 PM

...about the reaction after the first poll was released is silly. I betcha the first thing they did this morning was to read the papers, online media, football programs, et al. so see if they did it right or if they missed something. They are clearly reading/hearing and digesting what is put out there and using some of that info to formulate their opinions.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Absolutely! To think that the CFP committee doesn't care...

Nov 6, 2019, 7:48 PM

ClemBert® said:

...about the reaction after the first poll was released is silly. I betcha the first thing they did this morning was to read the papers, online media, football programs, et al. so see if they did it right or if they missed something. They are clearing reading/hearing and digesting what is put out there and using some of that info to formulate their opinions.

Yep!

An 8-team CFP with Power 5 champs + 3 at-large is better

Nov 6, 2019, 11:12 PM

than the 10 teams that play now in the 5 conference championship games. Replace those with 4 games, at the Top 4's home stadiums. Less is more.

Dabo said earlier today that 8 would make this weekend meaningless. Not if a home game were on the line for those top 4. That's a big deal. And getting back to regular season championships would free up scheduling like mad. Greater spreading around in all conferences annually if you didn't need divisions anymore.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2019, 6:18 AM

Maybe it is because we have been to 4 straight and likely to make it 5 soon, but I like 4 teams. Last year the #4 team was not competitive. Most years there is a big drop off somewhere in the 4,5 or 6 range. I just can't remember too many years when I thought, "Yeah, that #8 team is just as good as the top 4 and is likely to knock them off."

If they do go to eight, I hope that they put an escape clause in and change a conference champion to an at large if the champion ranks too far back. With conference championships, you could potentially end up with an unranked team in the playoffs if you didn't.

Too Much Room For Interpretation!

Nov 7, 2019, 1:01 PM

I've seen it suggested before about the 5 p5 champs plus 3 at large bids.

So - this year you would have - winner of the LSU/Bama game - b/c Georgia won't beat either! But then you would have that team with 1 loss to a top 4 team. Two SEC teams in off the rip! Georgia would have two losses so they are out; but let's say Florida only had 1 loss(to Georgia) and didn't make the championship game. I can see a scenario where they would have a strong argument to get in.

All of this is far too "subjective"! And the SEC has a leg up on the "strong conference perception department"! The Big 10 has a solid reputation. They don't play any defense in the Big 12 so perception says. The Pac 12 is hot rubbish. The ACC just has Clemson and the rest of them.

Couple things: why does the Big 10 get a pass when no other Big 10 team has challenged for a National Title in 20 years besides Ohio State?
8 would not be enough b/c team #9 will likely be an undefeated group of 5 team out there somewhere!

Dang right - it's a beauty contest! And the beautiful feature they covet the most is: "offense"! Score a ton of points and these voters now will rank you high. Lawd forbid your margin of victory is really good and you dominate all the teams you play! They seem to have forgotten there is another couple phases of the game!

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,184
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic