Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
College Football Attendance:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 2,481

College Football Attendance:

May 31, 2015, 1:22 PM

There are real concerns among the conferences and athletic directors regarding the declining attendance numbers. This is not really a problem for Clemson as our attendance was above 100% capacity last year. And actually, when you give a close look, most of the power five conferences numbers held steady. The concern really comes from what does the future hold. Indications are that future attendance numbers will not be as strong as they are now, or have been in the past. It seems for many people staying at home and watching games on HD, with all the comforts of home is becoming more appealing than going to the game itself. Conferences and athletic directors are looking at ways to turn this tide and searching for ways to make the game experience beat the stay at home option. I have a few suggestions. The third may be the most intriguing.

1. Members of the older generations that take young children and grandchildren need to expand that to nieces, nephews, and friends. Tell their parents you'd be happy to take them with your own children, of course they need to purchase their own ticket as it does get expensive. As these kids grow up, express to them how it would be a good thing for them to do with their own young people. Inform them of how to buy season tickets, etc.... But it is extremely important that the next generation takes the torch and runs with it.

2. Prices may need to be lowered. Simple supply and demand. If you have a surplus of tickets, then the price it too high. Lover the price and you will reach market clearing and have a full stadium. Its not like these schools are operating on such a margin that they can't afford to lower prices.

3. I used to go to every home game. I simply would not miss. Now, I go to three at the most. Maybe some of it is because at 52 I don't feel like driving from Atlanta like I did at 22, 32, or 42. But the main thing that keeps me home when I stay home is all of the awesome games I can channel surf to before and after the Clemson game. When I go to Clemson and see certain tailgates that have their HD televisions hooked up, I usually want to stop and find out scores, and see a little of the game playing. But it can be intrusive just hovering around someone's tailgate because they have a television. I think it would be a great idea if the athletic department would have stations set up around the stadium and coliseum that had about four big screen HD televisions set up with actual bleachers fro people to stop and see what's going on and watch games. They could do this where it wouldn't snarl foot traffic in important paths and could also sell concessions and merchandise there. I know when you go to the game with people, nobody wants to sit and watch tv all day, that's why they went to the game, but for a while it would add to the experience. THis situation might be on the verge of working itself out with tablets, slingboxes, etc. but I have not found those to be the answer yet.

4. For older people, there need to be very obvious and plentiful assistance to the stadium in the form of trams, golf carts shuttles, etc.

Like I said, attendance is not really a concern for Clemson, but it could be one day.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: College Football Attendance:

May 31, 2015, 1:37 PM

I'm 56, been going to the home games and most years to a couple of away games since I was about 7. On families and older people....every year it's less and less a family atmosphere. For more and more folks it's about the alcohol, party and a chance to use the F word over and over. My youngest just graduated and I'm not sure I would bring my children today like we did if they were small.

On the TV issue, you get what you pay for. If schools want the billions (and I think they do) that comes from TV they have to accept declining people paying 75.00 per ticket. On the other hand, I'll be there as long as I can get in the stadium and stand the 12:00 heat I guess. Just love it too much.

and these university stations with tv's I mentioned, should

May 31, 2015, 1:45 PM

definitely be a family atmosphere. Face painting for the kids, have them located in proximity to the stadium and tailgating, but have some space for the kids to throw balls, etc.

I wouldn't mind a dedicated family section

May 31, 2015, 2:05 PM

I don't think you can put the boozing and cursing genie back in the bottle, but you could have a dedicated family section at the stadium (on both levels) for people who would like to avoid that scene. I don't know the logistics, but it seems doable with fan support. Drunk swearing guy doesn't want to deal with your kids and you don't want to deal with drunk swearing guy, so why no put them in different places?

Re: I wouldn't mind a dedicated family section

May 31, 2015, 3:49 PM

Put the boozing cursing genie back in the bottle? Yep Spurrier would love that

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wouldn't mind a dedicated family section

May 31, 2015, 5:16 PM

Sit in Section M. Not much boozing. Cursers got to argue with me. (I let the really big guys say whatever they wish to say.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 31, 2015, 2:07 PM

really like # 4, # 3 not to sure were they would set the station up.......a bit more thought I'm sure a good action plan could be put in place. some how combine the normal student flow and the game day, maybe something like that could work.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 31, 2015, 3:11 PM

Your 3rd idea is a great one. I endorse it completely. And.......

Big venues like Death Valley need nice permanent rest room buildings in each big parking lot. I think you could combine your idea and put a pavilion into each big lot with big screen TVs, ICE MACHINES, perhaps concessions and have the backside of each building contain permanent rest rooms. Yes it would be expensive, but losing that 100,000 person home crowd for 7 games a year would be more expensive.

Lastly, all you young 50-something guys who are going to fewer games need to man up. 70 is the new 50. Get in shape, stay in shape and go to 7 Clemson home games and 3 away games a year. It's what the fall is for!

BTW, I am 65, in terrible shape and I see almost all the home games and a road game or two each year. My trip to Clemson is 146 miles one way. Often I gotta leave Momma home, but that's OK too from time to time.

And the crowd at Clemson in most parts of the stadium is more or less like a church picnic most of the time. Usually you've got have grandma, the little ones, and the middle aged Clemson Moms and Dads sitting all around you. Sure every blue moon someone screams off color, but that makes for a nice educate the kids and the buffoon moment.

Message was edited by: Harley®

Message was edited by: Harley®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 31, 2015, 3:32 PM

I do like 3. Could you stream different games on the sides of buildings on campus? That would allow for large groups to gather, watch and cheer, adding to the already festive game day atmosphere.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, I think the athletic department could take the general

May 31, 2015, 7:31 PM [ in reply to Re: College Football Attendance: ]

idea and with extra suggestions like the examples you gave, they could really make it exciting. I think there are certain people that would go to more games if that setup was a possibility. Can you imagine hearing roars go up every now and then from these areas during pre or post game tailgating. It would be kind of like hearing the roars from another part of the golf course at a PGA event. Of course I'd probably be camped at them until game time. Last year, when I was filing out of our win over UNC after our game was over, the powers that be put the ending of the South Carolina-Missouri on the east big screen. That was a blast watching that game end and hearing people cheer about that after ours was over.

You are right 70 is the new 50 and as for assistance for older people, we have some wonderful, awesome fans that show up in their late 70's and 80's. I just say what an inspiration that they are there, but things could be made easier for them.

Re: Yes, I think the athletic department could take the general

May 31, 2015, 8:59 PM

I drive 750 miles each way and do this 2 - 3 times a year and if an away game is within reach I do that also. Happen to be 67 years young. Some stadiums do have tv's set up in the stadiums with other games being shown.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some great ideas & dialogue from all (#3 is neat) !

May 31, 2015, 10:17 PM

GoTiGERS ...old & new & young &

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 31, 2015, 3:39 PM

At Texas A&M they show games on big screens in several of the buildings around campus. It gives you a chance to catch up with the big games around the country and it allows you to get out of the heat and drink some water. It's really nice for the 7 pm games.

May 31, 2015, 7:17 PM

Has Clemson banished the Cinderella rule yet? Allowing bars to operate normally on Saturday nights would possibly help with the younger crowd.

This is how economics works.

Jun 1, 2015, 6:47 AM

If the stadium is full then the ticket price isn't high enough. Somewhere less than full is where profits are maximized. I hate that it's that way but man doesn't make economic laws anymore than we made the laws of thermodynamics.

There are many other factors involved so it isn't just a simple supply and demand function. The demand changes constantly according to what team is coming to town, how well the home team is performing and the level of expectation to win. That probably isn't the limit either.

Economics is different that other laws in that predictions aren't considered dependable because there's so many factors.

Remember when we went to Miami to play da U? They were top ten and had what appeared to be less than 40K people there. That included our fans too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So why you want to bring the law in to this? :-)***

Jun 1, 2015, 10:47 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 2,481
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic