Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
College FB Attendance has dropped 6 Consecutive Yrs & At 1996 Levels..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,719

College FB Attendance has dropped 6 Consecutive Yrs & At 1996 Levels..

Mar 23, 2020, 10:28 AM

while even the mighty SEC 2019 Attendance Level Was at 2000 Levels.

Saying, This College Sport is in trouble and with the much too high coaching salaries, portal mess & head injury concerns..

I fear our favorite & big $ sport at Clemson will be a thing of the past in next 15-25 years.

What do you think?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LB don't be silly

Mar 23, 2020, 10:44 AM

The game has been played for over 150 years. Yea, attendance may be down, but as long as there is a Clemson University, Tigers will be playing football!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: College FB Attendance has dropped 6 Consecutive Yrs & At 1996 Levels..

Mar 23, 2020, 10:52 AM

Don’t know about it being a thing of the past - LBB ... but not surprised attendance is down given that all Tigers’ games are televised .. which is a huge source of income ..... Nice to watch in the comfort of your home without the big outlay of cash ... although ... there’s really nothing like being there ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Exactly right - although attendance is.......

Mar 23, 2020, 11:00 AM

down I doubt total viewership is down. Why spend major bucks for booster club memberships and dues combined with high season ticket costs when you can watch your big screen HDTV at home? That's what's keeping a lot of people from attending games.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Mar 23, 2020, 11:19 AM

Television revenues have skyrocketed.

Some of the money that is going to coaches should be going to players instead. This problem is more of an inefficient allocation or resources given how little of the money is going to players.

Players now have a small portion of the options that only coaches had before.

Protecting the players to keep them healthy and playing only enhances the game.

Aside from the exorbitant salaries of coaches, I see the other items as positives for the sport.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 23, 2020, 11:30 AM

Football, college or NFL, won't be doomed by lack of interest. TV revenue makes up the decline in paid attendance.

The primary risk to football's future is safety concerns. If medical science advances enough to find evidence of CTE in living humans (instead of relying solely on autopsies), the game as we know it today will cease to exist.

I agree, football as we know it will probably look a lot

Mar 23, 2020, 11:51 AM

different in 15-20 years. But I don't think it will go away.

We all know that costs have gotten out of control, from ticket prices to seat equity plans to coaches' salaries. The market has justified these costs due to the popularity of football, and the need to continue improving facilities and the experience for all involved.

If things haven't reached a breaking point, they will soon. I see a lot of reasons why this will occur:

-Youth football participation is on the decline
-Concern over head trauma, not just in terms of concussion but over the long-term
-Rising ticket prices have priced many people out of being able to attend games regularly, if at all
-Availability of all of the games on TV, in HD, for people to enjoy in the comfort of their own homes
-More options for fans to spend their time on other sports/interests/hobbies than ever before
-Discussions regarding players getting paid

I don't think college football will go away completely, but with fewer kids playing it, more evidence that it's a really dangerous sport, and a wider diversity of fan interests, we risk not having the high caliber of player we have now (or at least not as many of them). Paying players would potentially address this issue, as some parents might justify their kids playing if they felt there was some money attached to it. The downside to that is many fans would possibly stop caring if college players were paid to play. I still think the total number of fans who watch college football, as well as those who continue to attend games, will decline substantially over the next couple of decades.

This will ultimately affect revenues universities receive, and thus, what coaches are paid.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Mar 23, 2020, 12:05 PM

You couldn't pay to go to a game. I have great tickets to any Clemson game. I have plenty of time. I prefer watching from home. I don't like crowds. I love where I live and my setup. Its way nicer and easier from home. Its that way for most people. Home watching has come so far. Going to games is a novelty. I am very thankful that so many other Clemson fans love going. Not me. Maybe if I had kids or something I would go.

Mar 23, 2020, 12:10 PM

I still like being at the games when I can. However, I find that the process of going to a game gets less worth it for me over time. Waking up early, getting the car ready, driving 2 hours, parking, getting the car packed back up after tailgating, getting into the stadium, getting back to the car, sitting in traffic for an hour or more, driving back 2 hours, and missing all of the other games that day...

Tailgating is still fun, but it's just as fun to tailgate at home with my own private bathroom.

Nothing beats being in the stadium during the game though which still makes it worth it to me when I can get up for a game.

Mar 23, 2020, 12:06 PM

I believe the television ratings are at an all-time high. The television contracts are allowing college football to make more money than ever as well. It's not a loss of interest that's causing attendance to go down, it's more options for watching games at home. Ticket prices going up certainly don't help either, but I think more people would find a way to pay those prices if they didn't know they could catch every single game on tv anyway.

We're at a point with television where even games like SC State are going to be shown on a network somewhere.

Mar 23, 2020, 12:08 PM

Yep..we all have great tvs now. They are so cheap for a good one. It's nice at home. I feel like see more at home too.

Mar 23, 2020, 12:15 PM

I wonder if this virus will just increase that trend over the next few years.

Mar 23, 2020, 12:49 PM

I can’ t predict the timeline of a decline to whatever extent there is one, but no doubt younger people are less and less interested. Student attendance seems down everywhere. Tastes and interests change as time goes by. NASCAR and hockey are cases in point. Nothing has lasted forever yet.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,719
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic