Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
College Baseball Instant Replay & Review Rules?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 2,825

College Baseball Instant Replay & Review Rules?

Mar 30, 2017, 4:10 PM

Does anyone know the answer to when/why the replay/review is or isn’t used in a particular game. I expected that Qualk would know when I listened in to Out of Bounds today as he’s a baseball junkie…but even he wasn’t clear.

What I do know is this:

The video replay rule has been in effect at the Men’s College World Series since 2012…The “catch” or “no catch” scenarios will join the following plays that can be reviewed:

• deciding if an apparent home run is fair or foul;
• deciding whether a batted ball left the playing field for a home run or a ground-rule double;
• spectator-interference plays (only on plays involving home run balls); and
• deciding if a batted ball is fair or foul.

What I don’t know is…why wasn’t Beer’s homerun that was called foul reviewed. Clemson did have the appropriate equipment and staff to facilitate the replay. The play did qualify as a reviewable play. It is not only in-conference or in-tournament play anymore (we had a review against Scar earlier this year).

So…does anyone know what it is that caused last night’s play to not be reviewed? What am I missing?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: College Baseball Instant Replay & Review Rules?

Mar 30, 2017, 4:49 PM

Great question and this still bothers me. An obvious home run just totally taken away from Beer. If we would have lost I would be irate.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 30, 2017, 4:54 PM

Good question. Announcers claimed it was a hr because the ball went out of view during the time it passed the foul pole, which would only happen with a fair ball. Also, would have thought the folks in the cheap seats would have had a great view and have been pretty vocal about it too! Glad it didn't cost the team a W.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 30, 2017, 4:55 PM

I'm wondering too. Definitely inexcusable IMO.

Mar 30, 2017, 5:42 PM

Maybe Mr Hood can find the answer to this question that puzzles us all!
Without question it WAS a homerun

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 30, 2017, 5:49 PM

davidhood®

Good idea. I'm not so much interested in if it was or was not a homerun, but as I stated above, why no attempt was made to even review it. It appears that no one can give me an official reason for why some plays get reviews and others don't?

That was definitely a play worth looking at.

Is it cost prohibitive to put that technology in place at the small

Mar 30, 2017, 5:50 PM

D1 schools? I really have no idea what the cost associates with that would be.

Re: Is it cost prohibitive to put that technology in place at the small

Mar 30, 2017, 5:51 PM

Last night was at our place. So we had the necessary means to review last night, but did not. So, that can't be it.

The rule would still have to be put in place either at the NCAA level

Mar 30, 2017, 6:34 PM

or at the conference level for conference games though wouldn't it?

Re: The rule would still have to be put in place either at the NCAA level

Mar 30, 2017, 6:50 PM

Good question. That's my ultimate point. There's nowhere I can find, not even the NCAA site, that spells this procedure out. How does that even happen?

Nevermind.. seems that passed last summer.

Mar 30, 2017, 6:52 PM [ in reply to The rule would still have to be put in place either at the NCAA level ]

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2016-08-17/college-baseball-panel-approves-regular-season-replay-rule

I don't know...

Nevermind.. seems that passed last summer.

Mar 30, 2017, 6:52 PM [ in reply to The rule would still have to be put in place either at the NCAA level ]

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2016-08-17/college-baseball-panel-approves-regular-season-replay-rule

I don't know...

Re: Nevermind.. seems that passed last summer.

Mar 30, 2017, 6:57 PM

So, by all accounts, it should have been reviewed...but blatantly was not. It's not like it was a bunt that went foul.

This was a three run homer that occurred in the late innings of a tie ball game.

Again, homerun or no...WHY WAS IT NOT REVIEWED?

I may email the ACC/NCAA just for fun. This is bugging me.

NCAA Baseball Rules 2017

Mar 30, 2017, 6:55 PM [ in reply to The rule would still have to be put in place either at the NCAA level ]

After a good bit of research, I have come up with the following in addition to the OP, who is correct on the when and why a video can be called. I think that it is an important point that a replay CAN be called, not that it MUST be called.

1) A coach has to ask for a replay. Monte Lee was obviously upset, but did he ask for a replay?

2) The replay equipment must be available for the umpires to view ON THE FIELD, without having to go to a booth or go through the crowd. Was that available?

3) I also looked for any ACC rules that may run contrary to NCAA rules and could not find any.

4) I thought that Winthrop may be NAIA, but they play NCAA Div. 1 ball, so that shouldn't be an issue.

My only thoughts are that Monte did not ask for a video review or the equipment was not properly available. Hopefully some more will come of this. As many of you, I hate to see Seth, and the team robbed, but more importantly, as a fan, I want to know what the rules are and why they decided not to use replay. I wouldn't put it past Swoffie to call into the game and tell them to play through the call, just to poke the Tigers one more time.

Re: NCAA Baseball Rules 2017 Actual book

Mar 30, 2017, 6:58 PM

It's downloadable for free and comes down pretty quick. Page 111 spells it out cleanly.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BA18.pdf

Re: NCAA Baseball Rules 2017

Mar 30, 2017, 7:00 PM [ in reply to NCAA Baseball Rules 2017 ]

Thanks for an informed post. Coach shouldn't have to request replay on potential game-deciding calls and we better have had equipment available since we have one of the premiere facilities in the country. However I appreciate your research. Sounds like a CF of a process that needs fixing.

Mar 30, 2017, 5:56 PM

I asked the same question last night and pointed out the USC game review. I hope someone can provide an answer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 31, 2017, 5:39 AM

When did we play USC?

Mar 30, 2017, 6:43 PM

The same first base ump that called Beer's homerun a foul ball, also called a double by Beer earlier a foul all. I was sitting in the Bullpin Balcony but more facing home plate so I didn't see the double ruled a foul but other people in the same area had a good view and they stated it was not a foul.

Mar 30, 2017, 10:56 PM

I sit on the home side looking straight down the 3rd base line to the grandstands and had a great view of the HR and the foul ball / double. The HR was a HR, as I lost sight of it behind the yellow pole (as previously mentioned) and watched the Cafe' folks catch it. 1st base Ump watched where the ball landed in the stands, idiot didn't see how the arc and spinning curve the ball had.

They've done video replay before to determine a HR or double based off the bound off the wall, so the video equipment is in place, but have no clue why Monte didn't request it. Do know that after we finished the inning and were into the break, Monte went out after the right field ump and yelled somethings at him, walked away for a second and then turned back and said some more things at him before finally walking off.

The foul ball was called correctly and dropped just outside the line, as that was the direction I was looking. I could see enough green between the line and where the ball dropped to say foul.

The play called at home plate when Beer came sliding in and was ruled safe was almost as bad as the HR. Beer was out by about a foot. Not a single person in my seating area thought it was called right. All of us were saying we felt bad for Winthrop on that call.

CUvsFSU2011win

-- Too many daughters and not enough bullets. --

Replies: 19
| visibility 2,825
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic