Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cole needs a lot of work on his deep passes. They're open
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,034

Cole needs a lot of work on his deep passes. They're open

Oct 20, 2014, 8:38 AM

but he's not putting enough air under the ball. Especially when you have a 6-4 wide receiver, throw the ball high and let him go up and get it. He was throwing more straight shots and not dropping them in over the defender. That would really open things up for him and our offense if he could make that adjustment.

A healthy Tyshone Dye and Cole making catchable long passes would be just what the doctor ordered for this offense until Watson can return.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then Cole needs a wee bit more time to let plays develop ...

Oct 20, 2014, 8:42 AM

After looking at the few mid to deep range throws up at BC, I think his shoulder is still giving him trouble. But having to get id of the ball quickly has been a larger problem.

No doubt Syracuse will load the box and bring LBs this weekend as well. Thanksfully they ain't L'ville or BC when it comes to defense. But we still gotta give the young man time to find the downfield receivers.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the OL pass blocked very well

Oct 20, 2014, 8:45 AM

Cole had time to let things develop. I just think he missed a few, which isn't that surprising.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fair enough...I see we allowed only one sack

Oct 20, 2014, 8:52 AM

vs 14 TFLs for our defense. But I would conter-contend the quickness of our pass plays, though some seemed a bit slow to develop, probably helped there. My thinking is the short passes are being called out of necessity for both reasons. With a little more depth a the O line and another week to heal for Cole, the opportunity may be there this weekend.

I imagine Syracuse will be prepping for short stuff all week. We'll certainly have the chance to burn them.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole needs to work on his pocket presence....

Oct 20, 2014, 8:54 AM [ in reply to Then Cole needs a wee bit more time to let plays develop ... ]

There were a couple of times on Saturday when he ran out of the pocket unnecessarily right into the defenders. If he had simply stepped-up into the pocket, he would have had plenty of time to throw the ball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Cole needs to work on his pocket presence....

Oct 20, 2014, 9:01 AM

Cole has 6 games left in his college career. Not enough time to work on pocket presence. He just needs to not lose us the game vs Syracuse and WF and then we can say "That'll do, pig".

He hurt his (left) non-throwing shoulder....

Oct 20, 2014, 9:07 AM [ in reply to Then Cole needs a wee bit more time to let plays develop ... ]

He has got to make those throws to get the offense back on track. I have no doubt that he can do it, he just has to focus.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole is still hurt/taking shots(2 this week just to finish)

Oct 20, 2014, 9:03 AM

He'll get better each week as he heals.

It's his left shoulder, correct?

Oct 20, 2014, 9:07 AM

Not his throwing shoulder. Not sure how much throwing improvement we can expect as that problem recedes. It may help his running a bit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess, not having to take apin shots will

Oct 20, 2014, 9:42 AM

with his judgement/reaction. The opposite shoulder hurting during every single throw, you think he's actually following through the way he should to be accurate ?

A shoulder injury, regardless of which shoulder, is going

Oct 20, 2014, 9:49 AM [ in reply to It's his left shoulder, correct? ]

to affect you in football, especially a QB.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not either.

Oct 20, 2014, 10:22 AM [ in reply to It's his left shoulder, correct? ]

The main engines of throwing are the legs and torso front and back. I'd say they contribute somewhere around 70 to 80% of the force. The right arm and front of the chest is probably worth around 12 to 15 and the left arm and muscles of the left shoulder what ever the balance. That's for someone who has worked on all components of a throw and throwing with all they have. Cole may be losing as much as 10 to 18% of his ability to throw hard or long.

IMO, that's why he hasn't aired it out. That's also why he isn't going head long into a blocker.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When a QB throws one toward the rafters...

Oct 20, 2014, 10:12 AM

my money is on pick. Our last couple of games we've been covered for the most part. IMO, that's been something Cole hasn't done wrong. I'd also like to add something for Tnet's edification on this subject.

A throw from a QB is exactly like a pitch from the mound except there's no mound. Cole was probably mechanically sound in his throwing mechanics before he was 10 yrs old. One of the factors in the mechanics of pitching and throwing is the shoulders, yes both shoulders. During the ten years I coached pitchers I made sure each and every one of them understood the working of both arms and how the movement of the pitching arm was powered by the movement of the support arm by an equal and opposite type force. Shoulders literally trade places from the windup to the delivery. "Make your shoulders trade places," is how I reminded them of this.

While the throwing arm is recipient of the drawing back of the opposite arm that force is transferred through the chest from shoulder to shoulder. The longer the throw the more force one puts on the opposite shoulder. With the opposite shoulder still sore Cole has lost two factors in his mechanics. That shoulder and the arm attached to it.

In conclusion I'll say Cole is one tough summbich to have thrown as hard and he did since the injury and his effort and perseverance have not gone unnoticed by me. Do you wonder why I jump to his defense?

Also, I don't care what the talking head on ESPiN say, when the non throwing arm or shoulder is sore or damaged the throw is affected and the throwing motion causes pain. A QB may be able to throw but it's gonna hurt and the healing process is going to be slowed by it.

I guess my "0" was stuck.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then we should see dramatic improvement on his deep throws

Oct 20, 2014, 10:15 AM

in the next two games as his shoulder heals.

I hope you are right.

Re: Then we should see dramatic improvement on his deep throws

Oct 20, 2014, 10:28 AM

It's really been crippling to our offensive scheme to not have the deep threat. I don't think the coaches are comfortable with his deep ball due to lack of practice. If he's throwing deep and hard in practice his shoulder will heal more slowly, if not he will have no confidence in himself.

In a prefect world he would throw light to keep his muscles active but not hard enough to stress. I know nothing of the treatments and therapy that is available to a D1 athlete and I'm hoping you are right and he heals before our next game. I'd like to see the scoreboard lite up before DW returns.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,034
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic