Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting Analysis of the 2014 class in terms of 'NEED'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,201

Interesting Analysis of the 2014 class in terms of 'NEED'

Feb 6, 2014, 4:27 PM

Do people agree or disagree with this take on the 2014 class. (Again I know it is STS)

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2014/2/6/5385938/the-day-after-clemson-signing-day-class-needs

I think QT sells the class a bit short but interested in what others think. I was surprised we didn't sign a quality DE or DT this class.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just read and I think like you that it's accurate

Feb 6, 2014, 4:36 PM

Yeah I do think he's a bit more down on it then I do. In all honesty the only thing I felt we missed on was an elite DT and DE and he shows why we would need both. While we still have bodies and talent at those positions it's a bit of a concern when you're losing 6 experienced players from the 2 deep of the DL.

Again like him I always thought of Yeargin as a DE from day one and I believe that is where he'll end up as the new Vic Beasley.

However one thing he needs to acknowledge is that we didn't "miss" on RN, Adams, Lawson, etc. Fact is that all of those guys wanted to come to Clemson until $$$ got involved.

Re: Just read and I think like you that it's accurate

Feb 6, 2014, 5:34 PM

very well said; U are spot on about the $$$..what we need to decide is do we conduct ourselves like the SEc or do we play by the rules and continue to struggle??I see no indication that we will ever go so olow that we can compete with the dirty SEC.. maybe I am wrong but?????????

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why doesn't this guy just go slit his wrists

Feb 6, 2014, 4:39 PM

and get it over with? Some folks are just doomed to lead a life of desperation.....Sad..

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Re: Why doesn't this guy just go slit his wrists

Feb 6, 2014, 4:47 PM

A tnet buddy sent me to STS about three years ago saying they were the real deal and knew what Clemson needed. It took me about a week to figure out they cater to dumpers. "Birds of a feather thing."

Every important direction they wanted us to take was contrary to Clemson's final decisions. SO far we've done fine without STS though I enjoy their play by play analysis and such.

They are obstinate SOBs and refuse to admit that Dabo is the coach needed. Talking about spin doctors?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's not to agree with.

Feb 6, 2014, 4:40 PM

Well, you have to consider we have one of the best recruiting staffs in the country and our W/L record, but I mean, how could STS be wrong all the time?

They wanted Leech, Lame Kitten and a variety of other 'proven coaches.' The S&C program seems to have faired well since Dabo has had time to develop linemen. This is a big deal, you can't expect them to be wrong on everything, they'd go out of business.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting Analysis of the 2014 class in terms of 'NEED'

Feb 6, 2014, 4:48 PM

I don't disagree with some of his analysis but I don't think it is that simple. You can't just say we should sign 3-4 OL a year. When Dabo took over he was only able to put together a class of 12. That kind of class creates a gap that throws off every class for a minimum of 7 years. We needed WRs this year and we started this recruiting cycle with a very low number of players leaving. This makes it difficult for the staff to go out and recruit a huge number of players at every position. Sure this year we will go out and recruit larger numbers of OL and DL but that is because we will have room at those positions. If everything was perfect we would sign 22-25 players every year and an even number at each position but that's not the way it works out. You have to recruit to your immediate needs and there will always be needs to address for the next season.

null

Coaching Staff didn't write it, so I didn't read it.***

Feb 6, 2014, 4:54 PM

Re: Coaching Staff didn't write it, so I didn't read it.***

Feb 6, 2014, 7:09 PM

You only read PR from the program then?

You probably were fine with Bowden and hated Tigernet for saying he should be fired.

Re: Coaching Staff didn't write it, so I didn't read it.***

Feb 7, 2014, 8:40 AM

Nope. I'm just done with listening to what someone who has NOTHING to do with Clemson decide what the program NEEDS. How do they know? The truth is, the coaching staff keeps proving them wrong so why read it?

God what a #####

Feb 6, 2014, 4:59 PM

If you can't be excited about the talent at CU then quit following them. Does he expect us to be a pro team with no weaknesses and to out recruit SEC $$$ for the elite recruits with a 100% succes rate.
This guy wants to recruit the D-line because the 2-deep will be depleted after this year. Why kind of backwards logic is that. The fact that everyone of our starters stayed is why we have little room to recruit more DL prospects. Would he rather the starters all declare so we could offer their Scholarships to someone else?
No elite pass rushers? Is that what he calls all DEs? Because I was worried we didn't have enough run stopping DEs as the pass rushing type was where we recruited better over the last two years.

Btw did you hear we lost 47 recruits to the SEC! Lmao.

Pretty much every kid in this class is a 4 star athlete

Feb 6, 2014, 5:42 PM

It is really shocking anyone could call it bad. I would like to know where this amateur writer got the tension between Venables and staff line. Seems like made up BS to me. #1 QB #1WR class #1 TE class. Every player has a weakness and a strength but I only hear about a weakness when he evaluates most of the players in this class.

Re: Pretty much every kid in this class is a 4 star athlete

Feb 6, 2014, 7:05 PM

I don't know what you read but he says we signed a great QB class--just that we are in trouble with numbers if someone transfers or gets injured. How do you see that as negative and not factual?

FSU has the #1 WR class and it isn't close--but he said we had a great class that met our needs but need a speedy guy in the next class--again hard to argue with his assessment there.

And he said we met our needs at TE--I'm not sure you actually read the article. (although it is really long so I don't fault you for it)

Re: Interesting Analysis of the 2014 class in terms of 'NEED'

Feb 6, 2014, 6:25 PM

Coach Swinney appreciates your effort. Dabo says to GFY.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not surprising the haters at STS would put down the class***

Feb 6, 2014, 6:26 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm kind of shocked at the negative feedback from the post

Feb 6, 2014, 7:08 PM

I wonder if the link wasn't to STS if people would say the same things.

What specifically did he get wrong? I read it to say that the class was solid but we need a great class in 2015.

That is not doom and gloom. Maybe I'm just too nice to them or something. Its kind of critical but it is thorough and backs up all the points.

Forgot about Ermon Lane probably pushing FSU ahead of us

Feb 6, 2014, 7:18 PM

Nevertheless #2 WR class.

If you were to ask me the units that most needed an upgrade this cycle I would have said.

#1 WR
#2 QB
#3 LB
#4 OL
#5 S

Now looking at this class and Knowing the coaches are waiting on 2015 Offensive linemen how could you view this class negatively?

I don't read STS, but am satisfied with the players we got**

Feb 6, 2014, 7:20 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

we have no immediate need for DE or DT, but then again we

Feb 7, 2014, 8:41 AM

dont expect coots to know that much

Re: we have no immediate need for DE or DT, but then again we

Feb 7, 2014, 11:26 AM

Right...so because we don't have an immediate need we should just let it go so we can replay the transition from 2011-2012 where we struggled on the defensive line because the 2011 class was all seniors and no one in the two deep had played any meaningful snaps.

If you want to reload rather than rebuild you need to keep the cupboard full along the D and O lines. Plain and simple--no need for coot calling, its just logic. We didn't try to land Featherston, Leonard, Williams, and Carter because we had no need--we just struck out on all of them. The post said we needed one DE--we tried to get one and failed. Seems pretty straightforward. People can't call a spade a spade. The article just says that we need to focus on these areas for 2015 and that it would have been nice to pull in one. Goodness.

A couple points

Feb 7, 2014, 12:00 PM

#1 We aren't reliving the transition from 2011 to 2012 because we have been getting the younger players meaningful snaps. I expect that to continue this season as well with the kids coming off redshirt years.

#2 One of the reasons we had trouble signing a top DE is the fact that our depth this year means they aren't looking at much playing time in 2014.

#3 Unlike years where you have a full allotment of scholarships we had a numbers crunch this year and couldn't afford to use a scholarship on a reach player just to fill a spot.

IMO the only spot we may have missed on is OL, but a big part of that is we had already filled the two spots we felt we needed to fill and the loss of two roster OL was too late in the game to get anything but marginal talent. We had been planning all along that OL was going to be a priority in 2015 so it just means we have to make it more of a priority.

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,201
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic