Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coaches media golf outing / interview updates
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

Coaches media golf outing / interview updates

Jul 17, 2018, 10:08 AM

We started with OL coach Robbie Caldwell. Caldwell told us that heralded recruit Jackson Carman has lost 20 pounds since the spring, looks good. When I asked him what held Carman back in the spring, Caldwell said, "You guys. These kids read everything written about them. I don't pay attention to rankings and wish we didn't have them."

Message was edited by: Crump®

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coaches media golf outing / interview updates

Jul 17, 2018, 10:10 AM

Caldwell said that some might think that Mitch Hyatt is undersized for a left tackle so the goal this summer has been to give him some bulk. He didn't say how much

Hope it doesn't impact his foot speed...***

Jul 17, 2018, 10:13 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2018, 10:11 AM

Caldwell also says that John Simpson might be the one guy that has taken a huge step forward and he is looking for big things from Simpson this season

Big Bad John

Jul 17, 2018, 12:39 PM

https://youtu.be/KnnHprUGKF0

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2018, 10:12 AM

Caldwell admitted he let his sister braid his hair when he was younger, drawing laughs from the media. He said, "It pulled and it hurt."

Jul 17, 2018, 10:14 AM

Caldwell was asked what his message was to the team after the loss in the Sugar Bowl, and he said, "The sun will come up tomorrow. But those kids rebound from losses easier than us coaches. I don't remember the wins, I remember the losses."

Sounds like we know who the starting QB wil be.

Jul 17, 2018, 10:15 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Clearly the coaches dont understand the importance

Jul 17, 2018, 10:17 AM

Of stars...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Hmmm... WE held him back? I have a suggestion Carman.. for

Jul 17, 2018, 10:18 AM

your own sake. If you take this crap serious at all don't read it. It is infested with coots for the first thing and you can't believe half of what is said on here. Jackson I know it is tempting but for your own benefit avoid hacks like us. You believe in yourself or you will always be less than what you can be

This is why you don't recruit 5 stars.

Jul 17, 2018, 10:19 AM

You recruit a team of Hunter Renfrows and Grady Jarretts who are 2 stars.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FWIW, I read that comment to refer to

Jul 17, 2018, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Hmmm... WE held him back? I have a suggestion Carman.. for ]

D Hood and his fellow media types.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: Hmmm... WE held him back? I have a suggestion Carman.. for

Jul 17, 2018, 12:57 PM [ in reply to Hmmm... WE held him back? I have a suggestion Carman.. for ]

WE was referring to the media and the recruiting websites, not TigerNet or TigerNet message boards

Jul 17, 2018, 10:24 AM

wait, shouldnt you be doing these interviews on a tape delay like our flagship station is doing.

Jul 17, 2018, 10:25 AM

Lemanski Hall says that DE KJ Henry recently weighed in at 250 pounds

Jul 17, 2018, 11:43 AM

HOT DANG!!!! WRU & DLU !!!!! KJ and XT are going to eat QBs in the near future!!!

Jul 17, 2018, 10:46 AM

Clemson co-OC Tony Elliott said Kelly Bryant leads the QBs out of spring but Trevor Lawrence was "on his heels." Looking for consistency in fall camp from the QB room.

Jul 17, 2018, 10:48 AM

Elliott added that Tavien Feaster was a player who has transformed his body this summer. Down to 215 and has looked good this offseason by all accounts.

Jul 17, 2018, 11:04 AM

He seemed a step slow last year maybe the lighter weight will help.

Excited to heat he’s lost 20 lbs mainly because that means he’s working it.

Jul 17, 2018, 10:52 AM

Hoping he’s hungry—well at least in the figurative since.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2018, 10:47 PM

Caldwell says he loves where the offensive line is at. They have added strength and weight. Says he has a lot of options since a lot of players can play multiple positions.

Jul 17, 2018, 10:57 AM

Caldwell says Noah Dehond has a shoulder injury that he is working through right now that has been holding him back in the weight room. He is almost back to 100%

Jul 17, 2018, 11:03 AM

Brandon Streeter says Kelly Bryant is "the man" heading into fall camp but will still have to win the job.

if his showin gin the spring game didnt lose him the job

Jul 17, 2018, 11:40 AM

then nothing he does in the fall will lose it either..quit with the lip service of "he has to win the job" just say he is the starter and be done with it

Re: if his showin gin the spring game didnt lose him the job

Jul 17, 2018, 12:17 PM

try reading it this way..."TL made some great plays and passes in practices and the spring game, but he has also made some freshman learning mistakes that do not put him in the position to currently being the best guy that can win games. In the fall, if this has been worked on during the off season and is improved, the battle will become much tighter".

You really think a starting QB should lose his job over a spring game?

Jul 17, 2018, 12:49 PM [ in reply to if his showin gin the spring game didnt lose him the job ]

Yikes

Jul 17, 2018, 11:05 AM

I asked Streeter this: If Kelly wins the job, how do you get the downfield passing game competent enough to win a championship. His answer, "I think as coaches we have to emphasize it more. We didn't emphasize it enough last season, and that starts in practice. We also have to keep in mind that we will be running our guys more, but it's something we have to do in practice."

Jul 17, 2018, 11:15 AM

Great question. If we want to stretch the field (Clemson offensive staple) and we know TL can do it then make KB prove he can or make a move. Who ever can execute Clemson's offence in its entirety (spread option, deep threats, screen game) the best should be the starter.

null

Jul 17, 2018, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Coaches media golf outing / interview updates ]

The problem with the coaches just have to do a better job is the players have to execute when they do throw it down the field. I hope whoever is the QB they are able and the coaches trust them to throw it down the field because this offense just isn't as good as it could be without the down the field option.

I think as a general rule with a great QB like Watson we threw the ball to set up the run and we didn't do that last year, we ran to set up the throw and it just didn't work as well as it could have. When we have a dynamic QB the safeties have to play back and allow room for decent runs even when they don't break a long one. This extra room allows long drives to continue when you can pick up 2nd and mediums with a good hard run for 5-7 yards. We seemed to have a really hard time extending drives last year and if we can improve on that, no matter who the QB is, Clemson will be almost impossible to beat. If we can grind down opponents with long drives and having to score on this nasty defense I can't see a lot of teams even hanging with us.

Jul 17, 2018, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Coaches media golf outing / interview updates ]

Tell the coaching staff the fans want a downfield passing game which works! They need to take the attitude in Fall practice of "show me" period. Either KB gets it done or somebody starts and everybody recognizes the offense is a whole lot more complicated than perhaps it appears, but if all QBs are equal supposedly then go into the camp with the best one showing by example and execution on the field.

Go Tigers!

Jul 17, 2018, 11:17 AM

Coach Bates told me he "almost fainted" and then did a split when he heard the news that Christian Wilkins was coming back.

Jul 17, 2018, 11:25 AM

Jul 17, 2018, 11:18 AM

Bates also told us that he thinks Albert Huggins is an NFL guy

Jul 17, 2018, 11:19 AM

I asked Bates about the poetry that he sends to recruits, and he called it "a gift." He then told me that it started with him freestyling back in the day. I asked him if I could video him freestyling, and he laughed and said, "not today." He then told me that staff member and former player Miguel Chavis will freestyle at the drop of a hat and they frequently battle it out.

Jul 17, 2018, 11:25 AM

Clemson safeties coach Mickey Conn says his group has plenty of capable guys. Says Tanner Muse is healthy and ready to go. Kyler McMichael should see some safety reps as well.

Jul 17, 2018, 11:34 AM

Jeff Scott says Trevion Thompson probably had the best spring out of the WRs, with the boundary receiver battle with Tee Higgins still "too close to call."

Jul 17, 2018, 11:51 AM

Todd Bates said DT Jordan Williams had a phenomenal spring. He came in at about 272 as a freshman and now is 305. He has worked hard in the weight room and Christian Wilkins has taken him under his wing.

Jul 17, 2018, 11:52 AM

Scott's comparison for freshman Justyn Ross is Mike Williams. Says he's bigger than Williams was coming in and "all returns have been very strong" on Ross so far.

Jul 17, 2018, 11:54 AM

Todd Bates says he believes Dexter Lawrence will be 100% this season. He has heard good reports this summer on him.

Jul 17, 2018, 11:55 AM

Brent Venables feels great about the "quality of play" to come at LB. Sees co-starters among group with Tre Lamar, Kendall Joseph, Chad Smith, Jalen Williams, Isaiah Simmons & JD Davis.

Shaq Smith, an innocent ommision?***

Jul 17, 2018, 12:55 PM

Re: Shaq Smith, an innocent ommision?***

Jul 17, 2018, 1:17 PM

Skalski?

Re: Shaq Smith, an innocent ommision?***

Jul 17, 2018, 3:10 PM

gslmoore said:

Skalski?

Yep, Skalski was in that group as well.

Jul 17, 2018, 12:10 PM

Danny Pearman thinks that Braden Galloway can help the team this season, but also said to not sleep on Milan Richard. "Nobody really talked about Jordan Leggett after his junior year. He was Lazy Leggett. Nobody really talked about Dwayne Allen til after he was a redshirt junior. Milan is going to surprise some people."

Jul 17, 2018, 12:12 PM

Streeter says that the best player will win the job at QB. He said Trevor Lawrence had several jaw-dropping moments during the spring, but they can't anoint a starter right now. "We would lose the team if we did that. The players will know who the best option is, and if we did something other than the best option we would lose the team. The best guy will play."

Jul 17, 2018, 12:14 PM

I asked Streeter if there was a moment during the spring where he turned and looked at another coach after a big play, and he said yes. Said Lawrence had a play where the defense was in Tampa 2, and Lawrence looked the safety to the outside, looked left, then right, then almost took the tight end's head off with a 35-yard frozen rope down the middle.

Jul 17, 2018, 12:17 PM

Pearman told me that he thinks BT Potter will be a weapon this year at kickoff. Kid could play right away

Jul 17, 2018, 12:21 PM

Yes!!! Was hoping we might hear that...kid has one heck of a leg.

Jul 17, 2018, 1:01 PM

same here BT is a good guy from my neck of the woods and a tremendous kicker. Going to be a weapon for sure. Kid takes his craft seriously....

Jul 17, 2018, 12:18 PM

In speaking with Streeter, I told him I heard Don Munson on the radio the other day and Munson said that the coaches would play Lawrence four games and then redshirt him. Streeter didn't laugh out loud, but he smiled and said, "Trevor is going to play. How much depends on him. But he is going to play."

Jul 17, 2018, 12:32 PM

Munson said that the coaches would play Lawrence four games and then redshirt him.

He will still leave after 3 years. That's why the coaches know redshirting him does not work strategically.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would wager a significant amount on TL staying 4 years

Jul 17, 2018, 1:03 PM

The NFL is nearly guarenteed to be locked out his senior season. Why wouldn’t he come back and play a little more football?

Jul 17, 2018, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Coaches media golf outing / interview updates ]

Did you seriously ask the coaches about something that Don Munson said?? Lolololol

Well, I guess we had better be more careful in what we write

Jul 17, 2018, 12:37 PM

For some players, it gives them a boost to prove people wrong. Other players, it can tear them down and strip them of confidence. The Clemson fanbase is a demanding fanbase that expects nothing but the best. I mean, best is the standard. However, it doesn't mean that we can't voice our opinion in a more positive fashion. We need to pay close attention to what we write on here because the players do read what we post on here. We need to get behind the Tigers and push them to greatness.

GO TIGERS!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Jul 17, 2018, 12:48 PM

Jeff Scott said a big area of focus this spring was improving the downfield passing game and tempo. He said the downfield passing was lacking and inconsistent last year and it wasn't just the QB or the WR fault. It was a lot of different pieces.

Jul 17, 2018, 12:52 PM

Jeff Scott said there is no doubt there is a similar buzz with Trevor Lawrence arrival that he saw with Deshaun Watson. Says it is unfair comparison right between the two on the field right now, but spring practice did remind Scott of Watson in how easy some things looked for Lawrence.

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic