Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo is the BEST Head Coach in the country
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Dabo is the BEST Head Coach in the country

Oct 11, 2015, 3:07 PM

Now, we can debate all day long on what kind of coach he is, x's and o's, CEO type etc.

But in my opinion, Dabo has done what needed to be done to make our Tigers an elite program.

(So, to the Coots that asked me if I thought Dabo is a HOF type coach, yes I do)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo is the BEST Head Coach in the country

Oct 11, 2015, 3:43 PM

I see him as a top 10 coach at the moment.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are people who disagree saying that Saban is #1.

Oct 11, 2015, 3:54 PM

I will say this, Saban has the record but he offered our QB and all our WRs and they thought Dabo and Clemson were where they belonged. Saban has a reject QB from another conference and we have two that would take Coker's job.

Jake has 11 TDs and 6 interceptions this season. Bama turned the ball over five times this year in one game and gave up 50+ points on defense.

Folks demand relativity when discussing that loss and I'll give you my opinion, Old Miss sucks, they have a QB that makes Tajh look like Joe Montana when it comes to pressure situations.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There are people who disagree saying that Saban is #1.

Oct 11, 2015, 3:58 PM

Not meaning any disrespect for Saban but many coaches could win with that Bama talent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2015, 4:00 PM

Saban won big everywhere but the NFL and

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2015, 4:06 PM

6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5, 6-6, 9-2 at Michigan State. I guess that's big ;)

I'm not denying he is a great coach, clearly top 3 currently I'm just saying MANY coaches could win with Bama and LSU talent.

Oct 11, 2015, 4:08 PM

And Dabo had to rebuild Clemson.

Saban didn't have to rebuild Bama, not even close to the extent of the job Dabo had to do.

Oct 11, 2015, 5:10 PM

There's no doubt Dabo has done a fantastic job, but let's not pretend Dabo took over a team that was in total disarray. When Dabo became interim head coach, the team he took over was Preseason Top 10. We had some extremely talented players, but our coaching staff was consistently underwhelming with their development of those players. Dabo changed all that and deserves tons of credit for doing so...but let's not pretend we were UL-Monroe prior to Dabo taking over.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pre-season top ten.

Oct 11, 2015, 8:51 PM

And 3-3 when Dabo took over. I call that disarray.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Pre-season top ten.

Oct 11, 2015, 9:05 PM

Add the fact that commits jumped ship etc when Bowden left.

Can't argue with facts. Dabo has turned the program

Oct 11, 2015, 11:04 PM [ in reply to Pre-season top ten. ]

180 degrees.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pre-season top ten.

Oct 11, 2015, 11:25 PM [ in reply to Pre-season top ten. ]

I used bad wording. I should have said "devoid of talent". We were a program in disarray due to Bowden's horrible management skills, though Saban wasn't hired because Shula was doing a great job.

Oct 11, 2015, 5:00 PM [ in reply to Re: There are people who disagree saying that Saban is #1. ]

Saban made Bama what it is today. He's the one who gets that talent there. Prior to Saban taking over, Bama hadn't mattered since Gene Stallings. Let's pump the brakes here. Saban is an incredible coach. Easily Top 2 in the nation with Meyer. They're the two kings at the moment, there is no comparison IMO.

Oct 11, 2015, 4:09 PM [ in reply to There are people who disagree saying that Saban is #1. ]

Some people say I am crazy but I consider Urban the #1 coach in the country.

My top 10 would be:

1. Urban Meyer

2. Nick Saban

3. Jimbo Fisher

4. Les Miles

5. Gary Patterson

6. Mark Dantonio

7. Dabo Swinney

8. Art Briles

9. Bob Stoops

10. Mark Richt

Oct 11, 2015, 5:02 PM

I think you gotta give Art Briles more credit. I'd flip him and Les Miles in your rankings...he's taken Baylor, a perpetual bottom feeder in the Big XII, and turned them into a national power.

Even though he's just starting out, I think Jim Harbaugh is probably #3 overall. This would be jumping the gun in most cases, but he turned Stanford into an elite program, succeeded greatly in San Francisco, and has Michigan looking like the best team in the B1G right now.

Oct 11, 2015, 5:19 PM

Art Briles was tough to place because of the reason you given. Briles has done something that nobody would have ever expected out of Baylor. Produced a Heisman trophy winner, finally breaking he winless streak against OU, winning a BCS bowl, and helping Baylor build a very nice new stadium. I put Les Miles where he did because he has been successful since his time at LSU. He has had a couple of down years but he has had 7 10+ win seasons.

Oct 11, 2015, 5:23 PM

True...Les has had a heck of a career. Either way, I think I'd probably move Briles up a bit.

Oct 11, 2015, 5:24 PM

excellent points.....great discussion

Oct 11, 2015, 5:26 PM

For sure..I do think your list is very, very accurate though. It's amazing to think that despite his consistent success, Richt is probably going to get run out of town at UGA. I understand sometimes it's just better to get new blood into a program though.

Oct 11, 2015, 5:28 PM

Richt is a great coach and even better person. I like Richt but he has had teams at UGA that should have won championships.

Oct 11, 2015, 5:54 PM

For sure. He's kind of like Tommy Bowden on steroids. He recruits like crazy, and often performs well. However they have so many perplexing losses that it's sort of hard to get over.

<page down> Spurrier

Oct 11, 2015, 8:55 PM [ in reply to Re: There are people who disagree saying that Saban is #1. ]

Spurrier. Don't see him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Mark Richt is not a top 10 coach...

Oct 12, 2015, 1:20 AM [ in reply to Re: There are people who disagree saying that Saban is #1. ]

he is so much like Tommy Bowden it's scary. The excuses that fan base is making for him are pathetic. He should be fired this year, but he won't be. Most UGA fans I know are delusional and make ridiculous excuses for him. He is not a top 10 coach by any means.

Re: Mark Richt is not a top 10 coach...

Oct 12, 2015, 1:34 AM

He's averaged 10 wins a season for 14 years. He hasn't gotten the Dawgs to the promised land but he's been an extremely impressive coach. I think he's definitely earned the right to be called a Top 10 coach.

Coaches make a huge difference. Look what

Oct 11, 2015, 4:17 PM

Harbaugh is doing with Brady Hoke's recruits. Point is, even though Bama has all that talent, Saban is the one who makes it gel. I take nothing away from his greatness.
However, Dabo inherited a mess. He put a plan in motion, set goals, and fulfilled them. Built this team from the ground up. He has a win, win, win attitude. I wouldn't trade him for Saban or anyone.

Re: Coaches make a huge difference. Look what

Oct 11, 2015, 4:19 PM

Don't forget....Saban didn't receive a Alabama program that was very good.

Oct 11, 2015, 4:41 PM

I remember articles saying Bama would win and win big before Saban ever coached his first game.

The talent was there, just the head coach at the time couldn't coach his way out a wet paper bag. Of course, Mike Shula would have a 80foot poster erected at USuCk if he had a 49-10 record. LOL

Oct 11, 2015, 4:48 PM

I would build him a statue.

Oct 11, 2015, 5:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Coaches make a huge difference. Look what ]

Saban won a national title at LSU as well and helped turn that program into what it is today. There's no point in trying to downplay Saban's success--he's one of the best NCAA coaches of all time.

Oct 11, 2015, 5:15 PM

Read again. I said that Saban is clearly one of the best coaches in America.

But, I'm not going to pretend that he had as tough a job as Dabo did in the beginning. He clearly didn't.

Oct 11, 2015, 5:21 PM

tmac brought up a good point.....Art Briles maybe has done more with less than anybody else in the country in the last 10 years.

Oct 11, 2015, 5:28 PM

Art Briles is on my list of best coaches today.

Oct 11, 2015, 5:31 PM

I think he is a coach that a lot of people acknowledge but don't really respect what he has done. If he stays at Baylor for the long run....he could be the next Bill Synder.

Oct 11, 2015, 5:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Coaches make a huge difference. Look what ]

Maybe not, but you could argue that Saban had to do the rebuild at LSU after he took over for Gerry DiNardo.

jimbo at #3??!!! Dude you lost all credibility with that

Oct 11, 2015, 8:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Coaches make a huge difference. Look what ]

Lol!!!!!

Oct 11, 2015, 4:37 PM [ in reply to Coaches make a huge difference. Look what ]

Thanks IceBucket. That's exactly my point

Oct 11, 2015, 9:21 PM

Yes he is period. He's gonna win 50 games in the last 5 seasons and do it with class. His leadership is amazing. His intensity equals his leadership. Like my UNC wife said the day we hired dabo, he's gonna be a legend at Clemson. Enough said. We r blessed to have him as our coach and those of that disagree need serious counseling. Proof is in the pudding. He's an amazing leader and coach

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2015, 9:21 PM

Yes he is period. He's gonna win 50 games in the last 5 seasons and do it with class. His leadership is amazing. His intensity equals his leadership. Like my UNC wife said the day we hired dabo, he's gonna be a legend at Clemson. Enough said. We r blessed to have him as our coach and those of that disagree need serious counseling. Proof is in the pudding. He's an amazing leader and coach

Oct 11, 2015, 9:30 PM

He's an evolving coach that could become very strong x's and o's. He's good with people and personnel.Top 20 head coach excellent recruiter. TOP coach I'll take Urban Meyer I like his offense.

Oct 11, 2015, 9:34 PM

I think dabo is more genuine. OSU has 85 K students and is in a huge TV market. If dabo had that and all those recruits we would destroy people. Honestly disagree. Go Tigers

Oct 11, 2015, 9:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo is the BEST Head Coach in the country ]

I think dabo is more genuine. OSU has 85 K students and is in a huge TV market. If dabo had that and all those recruits we would destroy people. Honestly disagree. Go Tigers

I would not trade him for any coach

Oct 11, 2015, 9:38 PM

In the country, in any sport, period, end of story......I go back to the 1970's too. End of #### story. He will retire as the best coach in Clemson history, mark it down.

Oct 11, 2015, 10:25 PM

He is on track to be a H.O.F. coach.

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic