Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coach Swinney and Walking the Talk
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 2,429

Coach Swinney and Walking the Talk

Jun 4, 2020, 2:10 AM

I have always thought that “walking the talk” was much more impressive than “talking the walk” ...and there is a lot of that out there these days.

My opinion around this may not be the most politically correct but I believe it to be true and appropriate given all this swirl around Coach Swinney and what he said/did not say in public forums around racism:

One of the main reasons Coach Swinney has been so successful (and I am making a direct comparison to his 2 predecessors who were both elitist – in my opinion) is that he understands the players. We all know his story – it was not the best life a kid could have. And while he has become one of the most successful people in this country, heck the world, he has never forgotten from where he came. In fact, I think he uses it to gain the trust of the players and equally as important, their families.

Just because a kid gets a scholarship to a top tier school like Clemson does not mean some of the pains of growing up go away. A lot of the players who come to Clemson have never left their hometowns. I’m sure a lot have dealt with prejudice and bigotry. I imagine there have been many hours of heart-to-heart talks between Coach Swinney and some of the players about overcoming adversity, living the best life possible, and being a winner. And there is no one better to have those kinds of talks than someone who knows these situations firsthand.

Overcoming racism is a huge challenge. I would be willing to bet that Coach Swinney has done more to minimize racism than most people on this planet by “walking the talk”. I would take that kind of person any time over people who only pontificate on TV and really do nothing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coach Swinney and Walking the Talk

Jun 4, 2020, 2:26 AM

I agree with you 100%. Well said.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2020, 10:25 AM

Clemson needs to stay being Clemson. It’s worked for years and years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said.

Jun 4, 2020, 9:07 AM

I thought about posting on that topic but you stated it well.

Dabo is using his position to help the young men who are in his care, all of them. He is teaching them to be responsible and successful. He not only supports them, but he truly loves them. He doesn't need to publish a politically correct statement that will sell well in the current storm. He has been practicing his position for years. He doesn't need to change direction. He has been moving in the right direction for years.

Those who are taking shots at him are lazy and haven't done their homework.

Message was edited by: Tiger1983®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2020, 9:41 AM

Well put.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How was Tommy West an “elitist”?***

Jun 4, 2020, 1:05 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How was Tommy West an “elitist”?***

Jun 4, 2020, 8:10 PM

As I said, just my opinion...and my opinion as an observer only. It seemed during those years that the team was not real connected. And both West and Bowden did not seem to be real involved with the players - especially the African American players. The diference when Coach Swinney came in was amazing. Perhaps elitist is not the correct word but there was clearly not a lot of cohesion and in my opinion that falls squarely on the leader.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 2,429
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic