Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coach Frank Howard was a great guy.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Coach Frank Howard was a great guy.

Jun 16, 2019, 10:20 AM

In 1982 I injured my shoulder playing tennis, had surgery, and had to go to Jervey Athletic Center for rehab. Fred Hoover was the new trainer then. On my first day there coach Howard came down to the training room and asked me who I was and what I was doing there. I told him my name was David Howard, and he asked me if we were any kin. Well, I told him my father is Frank Howard, and he leaned over, got right in my face, and said in that deep gruff voice "What did you say boy?!!!!". Well I about crapped myself. I explained my dad's name was Frank Howard also and we proceeded to talk for about 20 minutes. Everyday I was down there after that he made a special point to come over and talk with me. He was truly a great guy.
Did any of y'all have the pleasure of meeting him?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Re: Coach Frank Howard was a great guy.

Jun 16, 2019, 10:33 AM

Great story-thanks for sharing. Never got to meet him, but my favorite story about Coach Howard was written up after he passed. The team was going to play either ugay or GT. Back then first team players road on 1 bus second team players road on another bus. On I-85 the first team bus broke down. Coach Howard told the 2nd team players to get off their bus and Coach Howard put the first team players on the 2nd team bus. He told the 2nd team players that he'd "see them at the game". All the 2nd team players caught rides with Clemson fans going to the game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2019, 5:57 PM

Coach Howard was asked why he decided to retire when he died. He answer he retired due to health problems - that the fans were sick of him. Ha!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2019, 10:41 AM

Yes, I did. One Friday (in 1963) I was out by the old library on the "bumming line", looking to hitch a ride over to Greenville, to spend the weekend with my grandparents, as I did almost every weekend while at Clemson. Coach Howard stopped and picked me and two other guys up. I sat in the front seat by him. There was a can on the seat between us into which he spit his chewing tobacco. This many years later I can't remember any other specifics about the ride or the conversation we had with him, other than that spit can.

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was good to my Dad

Jun 16, 2019, 10:46 AM

My Dad was a Shrine Bowl player out of Spartanburg High School. But, he got drafted into the Navy for WWII before he graduated. Coach Howard had offered him a scholarship his Senior year.

He told my Dad that when the war was over, the scholarship was still good. The war ended. Coach Howard made good on his promise to Dad. Dad played 1947 - 1949 and was on the undefeated team in 1948.

Good man who honored his word to my Father. Need more like him in the game today.

Re: He was good to my Dad

Jun 16, 2019, 11:45 AM

@48GatorBowlSon

My Dad too played on that team. He got a scholarship his Sophomore season on. Played 48-51. My Dad introduced me to FH about 10 times, each like it was the first. This was at the lettermans club, I was a kid then. Good times!

Message was edited by: TigerCook®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: He was good to my Dad

Jun 16, 2019, 2:31 PM

Thanks so much for taking the time to post that great picture!

Jun 16, 2019, 12:03 PM

One Saturday before a game probably in 1977-78 (or close), a bunch of us were standing in a LONG line down at one of the fast food places in downtown (I think it was Hardee’s - was there one somewhere kind of close to the current Esso?)

The line had moved enough for us to finally get in the door and Coach Howard comes walking in, talking load, speaking to everyone as he makes his way up to the front of the line where he just walks up to the counter, the girl waits on him, takes order, (I assume he paid - maybe not), he gets his food, heads out, again speaking to everyone-telling is we need to be getting in the stadium.

That’s about as close as I ever got to him! Lol

Great Story

Jun 16, 2019, 12:10 PM

I can just see how Coach Howard would have been in your face with that gravelly voice of his.

Just to set the record straight, Fred Hoover was at Clemson in 1960 when I was a freshman. Weird thing was when we first saw each other we both had that "where do I know you from look." I realized first that I had met him at Presque Isle AFB, ME in 1957 when he was a Lt. and my dad was the Base Chaplain. I was freshman in high school at the time.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great Story

Jun 16, 2019, 5:28 PM

My dad was stationed at near Presque Isle at Loring AFB 62-64. I turned 4 in Feb 65. My dad was a Security Policeman. Not to be confused with law enforcement.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2019, 12:15 PM

Pig--- Many years ago I knew a Frank Howard who lived, I believe, in Simpsonville. Was that your Dad?

I met Frank Howard in July 1955, the day after arriving in Clemson with my family. I had gone down to the Post Office to let them know "I'm here". Howard was coming out of the Post Office as I was going in.
In his usual deep voice he said, "How you doing, good buddy"?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2019, 12:43 PM

FH gave the speech to incoming freshmen to look people in the eye and to always give a greeting. The Rat scrounge contest had one item of getting some of Frank Howard's hair. When he was found, he told the rats that he could not spare any from his head but opened his shirt and told them he had plenty on his chest, which some immediately pulled. He did not complain. 1969, the last year for Rat Season.

Jun 16, 2019, 3:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Coach Frank Howard was a great guy. ]

Joe, my dad grew up in Greer and moved to Columbia, SC around 1946, where he met my mom. He worked at the Union Station (now California Dreaming) in Columbia doing telegram/telegraph and accounting for a few years before taking a job with Pet Dairy for 40+ years.
So that was not him in Simpsonville. Thanks for asking.

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Re: A Coach Howard funny

Jun 16, 2019, 12:55 PM

In the summer of 81 I was living downtown up behind Chanello's taking a couple of summer courses . One day my roommate and I went to the city post office to get our mail. In 81 short shorts were very much in style for the coeds. As my roommate and I stood gawking at the back side of two coeds in short shorts, a big ole hand came on our shoulders from behind and a gruff voice said " boys you better get it while you're young, you better get it while you're young.
Makes me laugh every time I think of it. Loved Coach Howard.

Jun 16, 2019, 12:57 PM

Yes, my Dad played for Coach Howard and was Co-Captain of the ‘48 Gator Bowl team. My Dad loved and respected Coach Howard and loved to stop by Jervey and visit with him. I also played rugby with his son Jimmy.

Jun 16, 2019, 1:16 PM

Coach Howard was a legend before his time. He had great friendships with many in the Clemson student body & faculty and he always spoke. I can remember in the late 50's going to Fike Field House and seeing him in his office with visitors and speaking often to us, the passers-by. He hired Bill Wilheim to oversee the intramural sports as well as coach baseball. Howard had been the coach immediately prior to that hiring.
He was an imposing figure for sure but very cordial to those that he encountered. Even after he stepped aside, I occasionally saw and talked with him at specific home football pep rallies held the eve before the games. He was wise and very savvy about the culture changes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2019, 1:22 PM

I got to meet him when I was a freshman in 1969. Went into Fike Fieldhouse with my dad before one of the games and coach Howard was just in there talking to some other Clemson fans. My dad introduced me to him and Coach Howard said he was very glad that I had gotten my “rat cut” unlike some of the other freshmen who decided against it. Little did I know that coach Howard would be retiring soon after that.

Coach Howard was

Jun 16, 2019, 3:31 PM

A very interesting man and the coach of the Clemson Tigers so he was loved by most, if not all. Back in the cadet, no girls days, when I was becoming a Clemson man, coach Howard was always around campus in some capacity. I spoke with him many times during my long stay in Tigertown. His son Jimmy, who still owns a bar on Main Street, was well known by all as well. Clemson was a good football team during those years but rarely beat the Georgia teams or other big time programs. In all my years the thought of replacing coach Howard was never heard! We even lost to that Columbia prep school on a regular basis. How disgraceful! Times have really changed haven’t they.

I remember when Coach Howard was “replaced” by coach Ingram the coach said “I don’t know much about this new coach but he better not try to change Death Valley into Hooties Holler. Typical Howardism and there was to many to repeat.

The coaches office in those days was in the old Fike Gym. Many of those offices had a window above the door to allow light into the room I guess. I remember the basketball coaches office had a sign on the door that said “ if you can see thru the window don’t bother to knock.... come on in”. Big guys have always had the edge!

CLEMSON IN 1964 was not CLEMSON 2019. Not even close. I love them both.

He love to talk to anybody who wanted to listen and share

Jun 16, 2019, 2:28 PM

stories.

Jun 16, 2019, 5:05 PM

He was an open bigot! My MIL was a nurse at Anderson hospital in the 80s and was in his room a few times and he dropped the N word like it was in his very daily socialization.

Jun 16, 2019, 5:34 PM

So what?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2019, 8:34 PM

So what?

Really? So what? That says a lot about his character. The guys that you root hard for on the team and in recruiting are black! Don't give me the "that was common place" During his time. The best thing he did was give Clemson the rock. Same goes for Danny Ford. You don't win any nattys without black players, period!

Jun 16, 2019, 8:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Coach Frank Howard was a great guy. ]

Mr. neva2late what you said was hearsay and irrelevant. Anyone that commits this kind of slander after someone has been dead for over 20 years, is lower than a suck egg dog. JMO.

Message was edited by: Purple Gunstock 15®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^here's a guy^^^^

Jun 16, 2019, 9:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Coach Frank Howard was a great guy. ]

that lies to get attention.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

My favorite Howard story, as it was relayed to me, was we

Jun 16, 2019, 7:00 PM

played at Bama one year and Howard walks in bryant's office and sees a red phone on the desk. Bryant says, "That's our phone to heaven, but it's gonna cost ya to use it." Howard checked his wallet but came up empty. The next year Bama was at Clemson and Howard had a red phone on his desk. Bryant goes, "oh, I see you have a hot line to heaven now too. How much is it gonna cost me to use it." Howard says "Nothing...it's a local call from here"

my dad was big into IPTAY back in the60s & 70s & coach

Jun 16, 2019, 7:17 PM

Howard & a coach he called Whitey would stop he by our house before IPTAY meetings in Bamberg county & when he was recruiting in the low country,"which was seldom," He was always quick with a joke

Re: my dad was big into IPTAY back in the60s & 70s & coach

Jun 16, 2019, 8:31 PM

That wouda been Whitey Jordan.

Jun 16, 2019, 8:30 PM

One of my favorites, when Lake Hartwell came in. Coach Howard was asked by some locals about adding a rowing team to the athletic department. Coach said as long as he was athletic director, "We aint spendin no money on nothin where people sits on they ### and goes backwards!"

Jun 16, 2019, 11:05 PM

H)My first time meeting Coach Howard was after we played Auburn at Auburn. I was hitch hiking home from a week end at home and was on the highway just outside Seneca. Two busses were boring down on me when the first bus pulled over, the door opened and this gruff voice said, “ Come on boy get on this bus”. So I rode back with coach and the team.

Years later I was going to DC on business and met him in the Raleigh airport. He had been to an ACC meeting at Chapel College, as we call it here in Raleigh, and was going to DC to talk to the Clemson club.
I walked over and introduced my self and said I was class of 1950. He said let’s sit together. He related many stories about recruiting and the LSU game in the Sugar Bowl. About halfway through the flight he said, “ I want to complement you. You walked up and told me your name. You can’t imagine how many people come up to me and say,’hey coach, do your ember me.’. I want to say, h**l no, why should I “.

Then again when working in DC we had been to visit my parents and on the way back to DC ran into him at the Greenville airport. We had our little girl (6) and boy(4) with us. Again he said let’s sit together. On the flight he held the boy on his lap and talked about him playing football for the Tigers. This trip was also to speak to the Clemson club which we attended. When he was introduced he made some nice comments about us and the trip. He especially praised my wife, Cynthia, as a beautiful young mother and said,” now I see her sitting over there having a martini “. Everyone got a good laugh out of that.

At the last Tiger Growl last year in Raleigh, I was introduced as the oldest graduate there along with a little about my Korea service and such. When the session ended this lady came rushing over and said I want to hug your neck. It was Frank Howard’s daughter who lives in Rocky Mount, NC. She is wonderful lady and appreciated my stories about my interactions with her Daddy.

Every meeting with him just reenforced to me what a great man he was.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ty stories like these make this site great imo! well done!

Jun 17, 2019, 11:39 AM

I never met him he was before my time but once I get this space-time continuum thingy going then that's one of the stops I plan to make. ty for sharing that!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coach Frank Howard loved Clemson

Jun 17, 2019, 11:47 AM

“I love this place…..I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die – up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays…then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there.”

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic