Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
why in the world would a pro team pick Clown over Beastly?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

why in the world would a pro team pick Clown over Beastly?

Jan 9, 2014, 6:19 PM

i know JC is bigger & had a big year LAST year...
but Vic actually obviously had a better year this year!

size/bulk & experience could be the only argument by me for the Clown, but Vic has all the rest & work ethic.

HELLUVA SEASON for the BEAST!, but if he does return it will benefit him for sure in every way, except immediately in his pocket, NO DOUBT!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: why in the world would a pro team pick Clown over Beastly?

Jan 9, 2014, 6:29 PM

Yep....exactly what all the draft experts are saying.

Jan 9, 2014, 6:31 PM

it didn't argue where he's projected coot.

i asked why!?

big difference between the two...you get it? please explain if so...

99 you watch any NFL?***

Jan 9, 2014, 6:30 PM

Re: 99 you watch any NFL?***

Jan 9, 2014, 6:33 PM

is that aslo an argument for his size, or what he ended up with numbers-wise this year...? honestly i haven;t looked up his stats because i don't care to go to their boards, but from what i saw this season & "herd" Vic sounds better flat out on paper or no?

i do watch some NFL but not like college ball

Enought to know his"one play a series" won't go over

Jan 9, 2014, 7:38 PM [ in reply to 99 you watch any NFL?*** ]

with NFL coaches.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unless they want him for 3rd downs only.***

Jan 9, 2014, 7:39 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unless they want him for 3rd downs only.***

Jan 9, 2014, 7:41 PM

interesting point & it'd probably suit him find to stand around & take camera breaks too ;)

Simple - he's bigger, quicker, faster, and a.........

Jan 9, 2014, 6:49 PM

better overall DE pick than Vic in terms of what the NFL needs. Vic will play as a linebacker in the NFL, not DE.

Forget Clowney's BS this past season - the NFL sees him for the impact they feel he'll have in the pros.

Stop looking at players for what they did in college - the NFL is at a whole different level.

Re: Simple - he's bigger, quicker, faster, and a.........

Jan 9, 2014, 7:05 PM

valid points. so you think Vic is not capable of affecting the game as much as clowney though, regardless of the actual position.
is vic not 1st round projected or early 2nd...? why isn't it a little higher is my question i guess.

and clowney pretty much got taken to the woodshed every

Jan 10, 2014, 6:42 AM [ in reply to Simple - he's bigger, quicker, faster, and a......... ]

single time he faced an elite left tackle at the collegiate level. he'll face that every game in the nfl. if he is to make an impact in the pro's, he has to change his personality (work ethic,heart,desire,etc.), and i'm not sure he can do that. if i were an nfl gm, he wouldn't be my 1st round pick, or if i did (owner insists! (texans)) his contract would be VERY incentive laden. i would take him, but not until mid 2nd-early 3rd round.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: and clowney pretty much got taken to the woodshed every

Jan 10, 2014, 10:50 AM

You'd probably get fired as a GM then.

Re: and clowney pretty much got taken to the woodshed every

Jan 10, 2014, 12:43 PM [ in reply to and clowney pretty much got taken to the woodshed every ]

You'd be the worst GM in history. Matt Millen would send you a huge gift basket.

y'all have him rated higher on your draft boards than i do.

Jan 10, 2014, 12:50 PM

i see a very gifted athlete, with no heart. give me a j.j. watt, who is less talented, but has a huge heart. and this has nothing to do with skin tone before anyone brings that up.

Think he'll take the first four years off in hopes that...

Jan 10, 2014, 5:23 PM [ in reply to Simple - he's bigger, quicker, faster, and a......... ]

he'll be healthy for when he get free agent status?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Potential. Potential. Potential.

Jan 9, 2014, 7:15 PM

Vic is a dang good player who plays hard, but he does not have the same intangible potential upside that Clowney does.

Of course it's a gamble as to whether he'll ever reach that potential, but a gamble NFL execs often are willing to take.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Both

Jan 9, 2014, 7:16 PM

Both studs that will gine OC's nightmares and will affect game plans. Clowney has a better NFL body, but not sure about the work ethic.

Jan 9, 2014, 7:17 PM

Simple, he was an athlete and played TE LB and DE

Clowney has been a pure DE for a long time and the size but frame is the biggest difference

Clowney can gain plenty of weight and still maintain speed

How much can Beasley gain?

Truly just different types of players

Jan 9, 2014, 7:27 PM

i can see everyone's points & appreciate the intelligent discussion (no coots?)

i personally feel that vic needs to come back & he's still developing & maturing. he can add 15-20 pounds i think easily & he's quick as anybody & relentless.

i still think they should be closer in affect on the game & maybe the draft... vic is alot less injury prone :)

Jan 9, 2014, 7:37 PM

Since the NFL teams cannot play effective Defense if they double any player consistently or run away from him 70% of the time! Clowney looks like an NFL natural, would not be surprised if he excels in the NFL, the only thing holding him back would be motivation, but in the NFL, there seems to be no lack of that. Clowney is an NFL type in size, speed and athleticism, he should be another Abraham type in production unless he is just a lazy type, which I have no idea on, but what I saw this season was a player that was doubled on every play and opposing teams ran away from him but he still impacted games, and in the NFL teams will not be able to do those things. Vic is good, really good, but in the NFL he has many types like him, though I still suspect he will be very good in the NFL in the right D.

Once Clowney gets his money in a big ### signing bonus

Jan 10, 2014, 11:26 AM

do you REALLY think he is going to try all that hard? I give him 3 years MAX in the league with his attitude.

Re: Once Clowney gets his money in a big ### signing bonus

Jan 10, 2014, 12:45 PM

This isn't the MLB. Players can't just get a good contract and then give up.

The bias on this board is nauseating.

Jan 10, 2014, 10:51 AM [ in reply to Re: why in the world would a pro team pick Clown over Beastly? ]

Vic Beasley won't be able to gain 20 pounds easily. I don't know where people are getting this. He is shorter, his frame is already filled out. Clowney is lanky, he could put on 20 lbs in 2 months if he needed to in an NFL strength program.

Jan 10, 2014, 11:16 AM

when i stood by Vic & had my photo made with him when they returned from the OB, it looked like he still has some room to grow & bulk up if he hits the weights hard & eats a good high protein diet... just have to keep him from using it all & burning it up because he seems to have a high metabolism & that's also what i've heard.

Re: Clown has no work ethic.***

Jan 9, 2014, 7:32 PM [ in reply to Re: why in the world would a pro team pick Clown over Beastly? ]

Jan 9, 2014, 7:39 PM

Right! And that's why this board knows exactly what the NFL experts need to do......wait and see, shall we? Clowney is a given at #1 or #2, I would bet on #1. Beasley is definitely an NFL player, probably not at DE, but LB. They should both be fine, long-term players for their respective teams, and hopefully have injury free careers.

Jan 9, 2014, 7:44 PM

i'm sure.
but for Beastly, his smaller frame & all sure held up this season & i don't recall him being hurt at all this year.
they put alot of pressure on him too with coverage & holding (especially in OSU OB game).

Jan 10, 2014, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Clown has no work ethic.*** ]

Unless someone trades up to #1 he's probably not going first overall. The Texans need a quarterback. I know it will kill you coots seeing him fall all the way from #1 to second or third in the draft though.

Jan 10, 2014, 11:19 AM

i could enjoy their comments if so & hearing the coots eat some crow ;)
whoever takes clowney had better have a back-out clause for laziness & plenty extra perks in it to motivate him!

Jan 10, 2014, 1:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Clown has no work ethic.*** ]

It really doesn't matter to me personally when or where he goes, but Houston will pick him first. You have my permission and blessing to call me out on this board if Clowney isn't the first overall pick, LOL!

Jan 9, 2014, 7:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Clown has no work ethic.*** ]

If true, that will be his downfall. The dude has everything else to be a beast, but like you said, he may end up being lazy or not motivated. I suspect like all players drafted, he will give the NFL his best for a few years at least, maybe more, but he has the intangibles right now to be a beast and will likely be drafted in the top 2-5 spots on draft day.

Very interesting question

Jan 9, 2014, 7:44 PM

To me this is the the debate between the merits of a 4-3 and a 3-4 defense. IMO both will make their biggest impact on 3rd down. I think a 3-4 defense will get more out of Vic on 1st and 2nd down than a 4-3 will get out of Clowney on 1st and 2nd down.

Re: Very interesting question

Jan 9, 2014, 7:59 PM

You are correct! Vic in a 3-4 would most likely impact plays more from LB position on first two downs in NFL than Clowney as DE in a four front. I just hope each of them go to a team that can best utilize their respective strengths. I actually think Beasley can play DE in the NFL, and Clowney possibly as LB, but neither likely to be drafted for that.

Wow. Really?***

Jan 9, 2014, 8:00 PM

Re: Wow. Really?***

Jan 9, 2014, 9:22 PM

Vic would be best in a 3-4 as stated above,he has the ability to impact in that scheme in the NFL. He could easily also grow into a dominant 4-3 DE within a few years, the guy is athletic as hell. He seems to have the right attitude and motor as well, I suspect Vic will be in the NFL fora long while once he decides to play there, he is a great FB player.

Mark my word..Clowney will be a bust in the NFL hes all pomp

Jan 10, 2014, 9:35 AM

and NO GUTS

Why pick the Clown ? cause he won the heisman last year

Jan 10, 2014, 10:34 AM

with that michigan hit ?

Whatttttt

Jan 10, 2014, 10:47 AM

I'm going to get killed for this, but this is the honest truth that every other scout sees. There's a ton of reasons why Clowney will go before Beasley. Unless something crazy happens and there's some fluke injury or Clowney does horrible at the combine (which I doubt) he will go before Vic and probably in the top 3-5 no doubt.

Beasley can really only play one position in the NFL and that's 3-4 linebacker. Some team may fall in love with him and be comfortable putting him as a 4-3 defensive end but he's 235 pounds soaking wet. I read people on here saying "he can put on 20 more pounds and be a stud," Vic Beasley won't put on 20 more pounds. He would have to grow muscles ontop of his muscles, there's nowhere to put 20 more pounds on that guy unless he just slugs Coors Light and eats Hot Pockets for the next 6 months. Clowney is 270 lbs with a frame to carry 300 with ease. He could stay his weight and be a huge linebacker in a 3-4 or 4-3, play defensive end in a 3-4 or 4-3, or bulk up and possibly even move to defensive tackle in some 4-3 systems if a team really wanted him to.

I know we all hate on Clowney. I root against him whenever we play him, I wouldn't wish harm on the kid but he's a stud and his versatility is going to be huge to some teams. Sometimes you have to just take your orange glasses off and see that. I know he had a pretty ###### season and his work ethic is obviously questionable, I loved watching the hype machine get derailed, watching ESPN backtrack every week and wonder "What's wrong with Jadeveon?" but when someone starts flashing serious cash at the guy there's no doubt he will line up and play some football.

Jan 10, 2014, 11:36 AM

BKendall: you tend to make really good & valid points when you post, very serious approach when you do...what do you do for a living?

Jan 10, 2014, 1:23 PM

College student. Just got out of class haha

Jan 10, 2014, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: why in the world would a pro team pick Clown over Beastly? ]

Food for thought, BKendall36. Wasn't really thinking about frame types, but you're right. Vic is as bulked up as he probably gets, while Clowney can add more bulk to his frame.

Bad Teams That Get Very Early Draft Picks Make Bad

Jan 10, 2014, 11:11 AM

Personnel Decisions. Mark my words, within 180 days of Clowney getting BIG NFL money he will be arrested or have a major character event. The kid was low-integrity to start with and then he went to play at USUCK the world-renown doctoral program for future felons. Something tells me The Head Drunk Coach did not fortify Clowney's Moral Compass, he likely went out and banged STD-infected hookers with Clowney.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bad Teams That Get Very Early Draft Picks Make Bad

Jan 10, 2014, 11:33 AM

yeouch!!! LOL

i never said that clowney was a bad player because it's obvious what his upsides are.
he has become somewhat of a primadonna however & i'm curious if he'll be able to shake that & get back to being a great football player.
Vic is only 22 & his body will still make some changes & allow for some more size to put on, but i guess 20 lbs is pushing it without 'roids or some extreme hardcore lift & diet program.
i can see what pluses have JC in front of Vic in the draft, but just like ESecPN's hype machine ran off the tracks, i have trouble believing clowney will live up to the hype honestly. if he does, kudos! if he doesn't, it doesn't affect me other than being able to use it to shut coots up when they spout off, after he fails.

BKendal: are you actually an NFL scout? you referred to yourself & "any other scouts" how they would see it. not sarcasm, just curious if that's the case? thanks

Jan 10, 2014, 1:30 PM [ in reply to Bad Teams That Get Very Early Draft Picks Make Bad ]

Other than two speeding tickets Clowney hasn't really done much to prove he's a bad guy off the field other than being not all that articulate in interviews but who cares about that when he's on the field?

Jan 10, 2014, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Bad Teams That Get Very Early Draft Picks Make Bad ]

Well, he has already committed assault and battery last season, in Death Valley, but Tajh was gracious enough not to press charges.

Jan 10, 2014, 2:31 PM

That's a pretty good joke. How long have you been telling that one?

Jan 10, 2014, 12:52 PM

This thread is embarrassing. Not only the original post, but a huge number of the responses too. People really, really, really need to take off the orange-tinted sunglasses for just a moment.

I think Vic has a lot of potential as a pass rusher in the NFL. I think he could be very, very good if put in the right situation. Someone we point to in the pros in 5 years and say "#### right, he's a Tiger".

However Clowney has the potential to be one of the all-time greats. He's got the size, speed and strength to be dominant in the league. There are of course questions regarding him--specifically regarding his work ethic--but all players have this. The fact of the matter is as a GM, you have to take Clowney as the first defensive player because his upside potential is so much higher than everyone else's.

If you were a GM, and took Beasely in the first round over Clowney, I'd fully expect you to be fired before the second round.

And this is coming from someone who has loved seeing Vic play here the past three years (I remember screaming "Beastley!" at the end of the Auburn game in 2012) and isn't very fond of Clowney. You just need to be somewhat objective here.

Jan 10, 2014, 1:34 PM

tmac9wr:
gee thanks for your opinion Mr. NFL GM! lol, kidding.
but i think everyone has made good points about both both & why or why not to take which one.
my intention was to start & have a discussion about it & we have.
i don't claim to be a coach or GM in pro football, nor did i claim to be overly savvy in NFL drafts or even watching it.
i'd say i got good answers here & other posters backed up their statements.
personally i find some of your posts & negative comments sometimes embarrassing as well, some i find very legit. the difference being i usually won't comment if i don't think it's appropriate, especially when directed to another tiger fan...
do i wear Orange-tinted glasses? H3LL YEAH!!!
it's a Clemson board, not a USuCK forum.

thanks for your input still :)

One of the few ... maybe only sensical post on this thread

Jan 10, 2014, 5:54 PM [ in reply to Re: why in the world would a pro team pick Clown over Beastly? ]

Thanks for that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ESPN hasn't shown 63,000 Vic videos, that's why***

Jan 10, 2014, 3:16 PM

Re: ESPN hasn't shown 63,000 Vic videos, that's why***

Jan 10, 2014, 3:37 PM

daaaaammmmmmnnn you ESecPN!!!!!!!

filthy dirty coots too

Correction ESPN hasn't shown 1 Vic video 63,000 times is why***

Jan 10, 2014, 5:04 PM [ in reply to ESPN hasn't shown 63,000 Vic videos, that's why*** ]

Re: Correction ESPN hasn't shown 1 Vic video 63,000 times is why***

Jan 10, 2014, 5:49 PM

cheers to you sir!

Same reason Peyton went before Nealon Greene in 1997

Jan 10, 2014, 6:04 PM

Vic has great upside potential as 3-4 outside LB in the right system with the right coaching. Good luck and keep working hard Vic! Your progress over the past two years has been outstanding and will be profitable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They need a designated driver?***

Jan 10, 2014, 6:21 PM

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic