Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Clemson left out of major preseason rankings
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

TNET: Clemson left out of major preseason rankings

Jan 20, 2020, 3:51 PM

Clemson left out of major preseason rankings

Clemson baseball will start the season next month unranked in the major polls for only the third time since 1989. 's Tigers were shut out of the D1Baseball, Col Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only three times since 1989...

Jan 20, 2020, 3:57 PM

two of which occurred under Coach Lee, although he gets a pass on the first one since that was his first season with Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I like the guy but if we don't play better this year, it's

Jan 20, 2020, 4:08 PM

going to get very noisy for him and the team I'm afraid.

Re: Only three times since 1989...

Jan 20, 2020, 7:21 PM [ in reply to Only three times since 1989... ]

Liberty has a good club, strong test right out of the gate.

Re: TNET: Clemson left out of major preseason rankings

Jan 20, 2020, 4:31 PM

It's going on year 5 for Coach Lee now and he should have at least had the Tigers in 1 Super Regional during his 4 previous seasons,especially the 3 straight seasons that the Tigers hosted a Regional.What is alarming is the 2 scrimmages that they had back in late September when they went to Knoxville to play the Vols fall doubleheader and got beat in both games 7-3 and 3-0. https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-Baseball-sweeps-Clemson-fall-ball-doubleheader-136246039/

Jan 20, 2020, 5:53 PM

I remember. Didn't give a warm and fuzzy. Recruiting well enough to be able to field a regional team, but honestly, none of the appearances have even been close... I.e. a one run game to move on etc.

Still excited! Play Ball!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2020, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson left out of major preseason rankings ]

I wouldn't put too much stock into the fall scrimmages.

I'm not sure who UT or Bama had available, but in all likelihood we did not pitch any of the 3 guys who will start the season as our weekend rotation.

All three were dealing with some sort of injury recovery that limited their fall workload.

If this team makes a jump it will be because those guys have gotten healthy and are a big improvement on the rotation from last season.

Also several position players were limited in the fall to allow full recovery from injuries.

This team needs to be healthy, which was not the case last season.

There will be a lot of faces involved this year for the Tigers that will determine whether or not the team is successful.

Jan 20, 2020, 5:47 PM

Clock’s ticking on Coach Lee. I was a huge fan of the hire, but only results count. He has to get it done this year, ie super regional or Omaha.

Jan 20, 2020, 5:52 PM

It’s bad when we have a better soccer team than baseball team.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have two National Titles in soccer and recently finished as runner up

Jan 20, 2020, 6:11 PM

I LOVE baseball, but we prob have more tradition in soccer than baseball.

Have we ever made it to the CWS final?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Re: We have two National Titles in soccer and recently finished as runner up

Jan 20, 2020, 6:36 PM

True, plus three Tigers have won the Hermann award (college soccer’s Heisman equivalent) including Bruce Murray in 1987, Wojtek Krakowiak in 1998, and Robbie Robinson in 2019.

We’ve won two national titles and have been in 4 final games altogether, and have won 14 ACC Championships.

Re: We have two National Titles in soccer and recently finished as runner up

Jan 21, 2020, 8:05 AM [ in reply to We have two National Titles in soccer and recently finished as runner up ]

You didn’t REALLY ask that, did you Matt?

Did you really not remember that the coots beat us in the CWS final to win their first CWS.... when we were favored... lawd, how THAT stung... and still does.... aarrgghh!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

no SC beat us twice to come out of the losers bracket

Jan 21, 2020, 12:30 PM

When we were one win away from the final. They did it twice, in 2002 and 2010. So no we have never been to the CWS final, the most decorated program by far to have never been there

Bill - I meant the National Championship Series. I will never forget

Jan 21, 2020, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Re: We have two National Titles in soccer and recently finished as runner up ]

2002 or 2010 - we will have our day, make no mistake.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Jan 21, 2020, 3:20 AM

I loved the hire and I’ve also met Coach Lee a couple of times and I love him as well. This year and next will be very big years for him. Hope he can start piecing a few things together and get us in a super regional.

How Clemson Blew It...

Jan 21, 2020, 11:08 AM

Tim Corbin (born August 5, 1961) is the head baseball coach of the Vanderbilt Commodores baseball team. Since becoming the coach of Vanderbilt in 2003, Corbin has transformed the Commodores from a perennial Southeastern Conference doormat to an elite program. When he arrived in 2003, Vanderbilt had only had six winning seasons in SEC play since baseball became a scholarship sport in 1968, and had only been to three NCAA Tournaments in school history. However, since then, they have been to all but one NCAA Tournament since 2004.[2]

On June 25, 2014, he led the team to Vanderbilt's first ever men's NCAA Championship in any sport, winning the College World Series.[3] In his first ten years, Corbin amassed a 411-217 record with the Commodores. His 2013 Commodores team set an SEC record for wins, going 26-3 in conference. On May 2, 2014, Corbin won his 500th game at Vanderbilt in an 8-3 victory over Missouri.[4][5]

Before coming to Vanderbilt, Corbin served as an assistant coach at Clemson for nine years and as head coach at Presbyterian for six years. At Clemson, he worked under head coach Jack Leggett, on the same staff with future head coaches and SEC rivals Kevin O'Sullivan and John Pawlowski. He coached three ACC Players of the Year and helped Clemson reach the College World Series four times (1995, 1996, 2000, and 2002). At Presbyterian, Corbin helped direct a program that was dormant for several years. He compiled a 106-138 record with the Blue Hose, which was transitioning from NAIA to NCAA Division II. The Blue Hose made three consecutive appearances in the South Atlantic Conference playoffs (1991–93), and Corbin earned South Atlantic Coach of the Year honors in 1990. In 2000, he was named the ABCA/Baseball America Assistant Coach of the Year.[6]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

who's to say we can't pry him away from Vandy ***

Jan 21, 2020, 11:29 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How Clemson Blew It...

Jan 21, 2020, 12:10 PM [ in reply to How Clemson Blew It... ]

All of this may be true but comparing Vanderbilt to Clemson isn't apples to apples. The scholarship allotment is significantly different. While letting Corbin leave may have still been a mistake, I am not sure it is fair to use that without qualifying that Vanderbilt is a different beast.

Re: How Clemson Blew It...

Jan 21, 2020, 12:41 PM

The scholarship allotment is identical. It is the financial aid that is different. And neither has changed since Corbin became the coach. So if it is such a mitigating factor why were they so terrible before Corbin?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson didn't blow it. Corbin was/is very good friends

Jan 22, 2020, 8:31 AM [ in reply to How Clemson Blew It... ]

with Jack Leggett. There was no way he was going to take over in the wake of Leggett being fired. Had the circumstances been different, ie, Leggett retiring, it may have been a different story. Corbin was not coming to Clemson as things were.

Jan 21, 2020, 12:46 PM

hit and run baseball=== punch and Judy hitters go yard

Clemson was much better off in this sport before

Jan 21, 2020, 1:47 PM

scholarships were decreased to 11.7, as were many other schools. Why do you think we have seen the likes of Vandy and Virginia become staples in the sport over the last decade? Also schools like Stonybrook, Pepperdine, Rice etc being very prominent. Especially with a sport like baseball that has such an element of chance and probability to it. UNC is an example of a public school being prominent, except we all know their cheating. Of course there are few exceptions i.e. South Carolina who had a very remarkable run. But even they have fallen to the wayside compared to where they were 8-10 years ago(Which was shortly after the scholarship allotment change). The reality is, and to some this is a good thing, low scholarship allotments create parody. We field pretty good teams, but always seems like we're one or two players short of a championship roster.

Re: Clemson was much better off in this sport before

Jan 21, 2020, 2:36 PM

What are you talking about? First, the word is parity. Second, the last scholarship rule change for baseball happened in 1991 going from 13 to 11.7 scholarships. None of your assertions are true.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic