Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson vs Georgia Tech Postgame Analysis
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Oct 2, 2007, 11:54 PM

As bad as things looked at times, the Tigers kept the game very close and had more than its fair of chances to win. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good postgame report, now lets get to the pregame.***

Oct 3, 2007, 12:04 AM

Excelllent position by position analysis.***

Oct 3, 2007, 6:04 AM

This is not going to go over well with the haters

Oct 3, 2007, 6:32 AM

as I've said all along, execution.

Excellent job Roy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No kidding. HOW do the haters pick this apart ?

Oct 3, 2007, 9:09 AM

I had one sitting behind me at the game, with his 10 year old son with him.

What an idiot . . . "If Davis is hurt, put in Ray Ray then." . . . "Oh....well . . .then put in somebody that WANTS to win!"

On and on about Korn - - freakin' Montana would have had a tough time with the protection and drops we had Sat.

Just on and on and on at loud volumes with NO content.

Haters - - keep the hating on you. DON'T put that burden on the next generation.

I'm done . . . ON TO THE HOKIE BEAT DOWN ! ! ! !

Good summary, and no; it's not all "doom and gloom".***

Oct 3, 2007, 7:25 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Taking the emotion out of it, this is a good breakdown.

Oct 3, 2007, 7:26 AM

The haters will still hate, they can't, or what's worse, WON'T see the logic in this piece.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

Not just coaching but coaches are responsible for making

Oct 3, 2007, 7:44 AM

sure players know their blocking assignments on punt protection. No reason for upperclassmen to miss special teams assignments.

Do you honestly believe those guys didn't know?

Oct 3, 2007, 7:52 AM

Believe me, they knew what their assignments were, especially on the punt team. Sometimes they just don't execute. I'm sure all of us have done the same thing in our personal or business lives.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good analysis....the sky is not falling....its one game***

Oct 3, 2007, 8:31 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BEST QUOTE....

Oct 3, 2007, 9:22 AM

"Saturday was not about X?s and O?s. It was about Jimmies and Joes and Clemson?s did not perform like they should."

I love that quote! Glad to see others agree that it's not always the coaches. And this time, it was CLEAR the players weren't executing, regardless of the game plan.

Now lets talk some Hokies!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

I can't for the life of me see how you could characterize...

Oct 3, 2007, 10:40 AM

... the pass that Grisham didn't catch in the end zone a 'dropped pass!' Anytime a receiver has to lay out parallel to the ground to touch the ball, it's not a drop, it's almost a great catch.
People like you keep harping on the mistakes players made. This team doesn't have a history of that kind of play, and I don't expect it to be repeated - it is all correctable. What is not correctable is the fact that our offensive coaches were beaten by their defensive coaches. The idea that we had a good offensive game plan is laughable.

Message was edited by: KilgoreTrout®

Re: I can't for the life of me see how you could characterize...

Oct 3, 2007, 11:02 AM

Any ball that a receiver gets two hands on without a ton of contact should be caught, its that simple.

I take it you're a wide receiver?***

Oct 3, 2007, 11:59 AM

Oct 3, 2007, 11:04 AM [ in reply to I can't for the life of me see how you could characterize... ]

Point for that. Of course a big part of the loss Saturday was lack of execution, but equally as big was the fact that we simply didn't, nor do we ever, make adjustments to overcome what the opposing defense is throwing at us. Call me a hater if you must, but can any of you really say that our coaching staff hasn't gotten out-coached the last couple years?? I agree with Roy that all is not lost and that we can still have a decent year and I think we got the horses to do that. The question remains do we have the brain power. I hope so. Tommy's the head football coach at Clemson, and if he's sucessful, so is our team. I hope TDP can without reservation give him a contract extension at the end of this year.

Oct 3, 2007, 11:14 AM [ in reply to I can't for the life of me see how you could characterize... ]

WELL SAID!!!! I couldn't agree with you more. There is now way Tyler's should count as a dropped pass. If you have to do a superman move (diving with completely out stretched arms) to make a catch, that is NOT a good pass. Apparently I watched a different game than everyone else, because the majority of Harper's passes this Saturday were like that. He couldn't hit receivers in stride - the passes were either short and they had to come back or stop for them, they were over the wrong shoulder, or they were too high. While there were a few dropped passes - I don't count dropped passes as ones where the receivers have to jump up, dive, stop and come back, or get hammered because the QB threw into double coverage, as dropped passes. Those aren't dropped passes, they are BAD passes - and had they been caught, we would have been saying what a GREAT catch it was, not what a good pass it was. I think Harper looked his absolute worst this game. All of the other points in this article, seemed to be very good, though.

Oct 3, 2007, 11:17 AM

I don't think Cullen could've played any better considering he had at least 2 GT players within striking distance at almost any given time Saturday. A QB needs time to be accurate.

Oct 3, 2007, 11:22 AM

Oh, don't get me wrong - I agree that it's not entirely his fault for the bad passes. He got sacked way to many times, to begin to think the O-line didn't have a lot to do with it. However, I don't feel that the receivers deserve as much blame as they're getting, either. A bad pass is a bad pass, whether it's because the O-line didn't give him enough time to throw, or not. The receivers shouldn't be blamed for that! :) But I agree, the O-line didn't help Harper out much this game...

Good points from both of you.***

Oct 3, 2007, 11:58 AM

null

Message was edited by: KilgoreTrout®

No such thing as giving 100% for everygame anymore is there?

Oct 3, 2007, 11:10 AM

I'm not a hater and this is good article but please somebody PLEASE give me a quote from Humphries, Grisham or Richardson about giving 100% week in and week out. Just give me some quote of desire then. I don't see it. I don't hear it. Not from the coach. Not from the players. Where's the drive??? Everyone can shove their fingers where the sun don't shine bc it doesn't matter how much talent you have if YOU have NO drive.
I can't belive I am having to write this about Clemson Football. Thats what upsets me most.

I mean, we're talking about PRACTICE.***

Oct 3, 2007, 11:12 AM

Poor coaching leads to bad execution. Will TB adjust?

Oct 3, 2007, 2:21 PM

Sure the offensive line was anemic and there were dropped balls and missed kicks. But the coaches bear much of the responsibility for the failures. You can call me a hater (even though I don't hate Bowden) but:

The great coaches teach, drill, and motivate their players to execute with consistency. For the last 8+ years, the Bowden staff has seemed incapable of doing this. The great coaches have OCCASSIONAL upsets. Under Bowden, we REGULARLY lose (almost half of our games) against decent teams.

After Furman sacked Harper 5 times, TB & Spence should have known there was a problem and they should have made adjustments. Before the game, everybody knew GT would blitz. But the offensive line and backs looked like they had never heard of a blitz before. And aren't there things you can do to bitzing defenses like running screens, draws, rolling out the QB in play action, etc? It just seemed to me like Spence was incapable of adjusting and he was just out-coached by Tenuta. And he's so predictable that it makes it harder for the players to execute. Spence opened 7 of the first 9 drives with a run. So predictable. EVERYBODY knew a run was coming. He opened the last three desperation drives by passing when EVERYBODY knew it would be a pass. It helps make our offensive players look bad when the defense knows what's coming.

When Clemson doesn't have a dedicated place kicker capable of hitting FGs consistently, I think part of the blame is on the coaches for not recruiting and grooming kickers. It's a CRITCAL part of the game. Why don't we have a great FG kicker? Watch SoCar's kicker beat us this year.

Last year VT set the blueprint on how to beat Clemson, and our coaches never adjusted, so several teams beat us with the same blueprint. Now that GT (and to some extent Furman) have provided the blueprint for beating Clemson, I wonder if the coaching staff will solve the problem before next summer? Great coaches recognize most problems BEFORE they occur against the competition, but they at least solve them once the competition points out the problems.

Re: Clemson vs Georgia Tech Postgame Analysis

Oct 5, 2007, 5:42 AM

In your Clemson vs Ga.Tech post game analysis,you said that what killed them was not poor coaching,but guys not executing.So why were the guys not executing? And why were changes not made?For example,if you are ready to put in Willie Korn when your up by 29,why not try him when your down by 3,or 7 points if your QB is having a rough time.Maybe Willie could have been a spark,maybe not,but you didn't try .If your field goal kicker misses two in a row,why not try your back -up,or go for it on 4th down.Need blocking,try a 2 tight end formation.The fact is I saw no adjustments to what tech was doing,and in my opinion that's poor coaching.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic