Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson vs. Florida St. 1989
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 2,332

Clemson vs. Florida St. 1989

Jun 1, 2017, 1:37 AM

It's amazing to think about how things from the past, people from the past can impact players that we've just recently dominate the College Football landscape. Thinking back to the 1989 game, I thought I'd post some connections I've found.
Defensive line was dominant that year under Ford. Terry Allen took two the house on that game! Allen leaps over a pile of Defender's as Danny smiles and nods. Terry Allen will be missed as a RB coach, who we have seen make a big impact on Gallman's running game. Gallman's season changed breaking school records after working with Allen. Allen was a beast, just like Gallman. Good luck to both of them in their NFL careers. The Giants got a steal of a tough running back. The Wayne Train. To Allen & Gallman!

Here's a link to the game if you would like to enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8yUK3WRb1I

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson vs. Florida St. 1989

Jun 1, 2017, 2:18 AM

1989 victory over FSU was a dominant victory, a true high water mark, that made the slide to mediocrity in the next decade so hard to accept.

FSU lost only two games that year. The first game of the year was a loss to Brett Favre's southern Mississippi team and the second game of the year was the blowout loss to Clemson.

Jun 1, 2017, 2:42 AM

Agreed. I lived through the tough years, sitting in stands half full. Still though, reflecting back on that game, when Allen took two to the house and jumped over that pile it just made me remember Allen's impact on that Game. Also, his impact as a RB coach for Gallman after hearing that Gallman just recently signed his 4 yr deal with the Giants.

Jun 1, 2017, 7:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson vs. Florida St. 1989 ]

I forgot what a monster Wayne Simmons was...funny how crappy Doak Campbell looked. Nice chain link fencing...

Jun 1, 2017, 7:44 AM

We sat in the wooden bleachers in the end zone. I remember dropping my new Clemson jacket thru the opening and watching one of the vultures under the stands run away with it and other items that had fallen. They were having a field day catching our stuff. We couldn't believe that mighty FSU had a stadium like this.

DYK: a young Charlie Ward saw action late in this game

Jun 1, 2017, 7:02 AM

He returned a punt late in the 4th QTR. He would medical redshirt in 1990, and start for FSU in 1992 and 1993 (winning the Heisman and a NC in 93)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Jun 1, 2017, 8:39 AM

A buddy and I got tickets from an FSU student friend - Sat in FSU student section. Stuck out like a sore thumb among all that garnet and gold. Good news was we were in the middle of a large group of Seminole coeds. Bad news was that they too got hit with the ice thrown from the drunks several rows up. After each time we scored, I remember a lot of FSU fan telling us we were #1 - same way as Scar mothers teach their children.

Nice revenge for Puntrooskie...

I remember watching that game...

Jun 1, 2017, 11:51 AM

on the big screen at the Upper Deck. When Simmons broke on that pass and took it to the house I thought that the floor was going to cave in from all the people jumping up and down. As another poster said, fitting revenge for Sander's punt return and the rooski from the previous season. I was in the same place three weeks later on a rainy Saturday in Clemson. The place was almost empty, and the results were tragically different.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 2,332
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic