Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson vs Auburn recruiting. Would welcome logical
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Clemson vs Auburn recruiting. Would welcome logical

Jul 15, 2017, 6:39 PM

thoughts as to why we lose recruits, that we have offered, to Auburn? With our facilities, second to none, recent dominance over them, playing in the last two national championship games, both have small town atmospheres, similar campus, except, as GA fans say, we are Auburn with a lake, etc. I just cannot understand it. Auburn does have a reputation for turning their head concerning a player's character (see Cam Newton, kicked out of FSU for stealing) but, if we offer someone I assume he has passed Dabo's character test.

Auburn has been on multiple probations (see member of the SEC) and I can tell you for a face that I have a high school classmate that is an Auburn graduate who ended up being a very successful businessman in Atlanta. He told me,and this was at least 20 years ago, that he and 10-15 other Auburn alums met once a year at Coosa Country Club in Rome, GA and pooled their $$ to be used for recruiting.

Not saying this exists anymore, but, why would a kid who has no ties to either school go to Auburn vs us?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson vs Auburn recruiting. Would welcome logical

Jul 15, 2017, 6:42 PM

Newton was kicked out of UF I believe*

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Might be, my bad.***

Jul 15, 2017, 6:46 PM

Jul 15, 2017, 6:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson vs Auburn recruiting. Would welcome logical ]

Newton definitely did get kicked off of the UF roster, never played at FSU. Also I might add that it was Urban Meyer that kicked him off for any lurking Tnetters that live to bash him. As far as the Auburn/Clemson comparison, I think it's more the overall school environment. The campus, big football scene......similar fan bases.

Hell of a guy that Urban Meyer. Only 30 players arrested during his tenure

Jul 15, 2017, 7:42 PM

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/2178871-urban-meyer-florida-ohio-state-ncaa-violation-recruiting-drugs-program-will-musc

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2017, 6:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson vs Auburn recruiting. Would welcome logical ]

Newton definitely did get kicked off of the UF roster, never played at FSU. Also I might add that it was Urban Meyer that kicked him off for any lurking Tnetters that live to bash him. As far as the Auburn/Clemson comparison, I think it's more the overall school environment. The campus, big football scene......similar fan bases.

Jul 15, 2017, 7:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson vs Auburn recruiting. Would welcome logical ]

Correct. Allegedly for stealing computer(s)

Jul 15, 2017, 8:03 PM

Auburn has a long history of cheating. When Terry Bowden was head coach he found that there was a formal, hidden arrangement among boosters to pay players. Bowden said that he had no choice but to let the players who were being paid keep getting paid and to hopefully let the system die a natural death. Auburn had a wealthy booster alumnus who was on the AU BOT who called a lot of shots at AU. Some think Terry Bowden's demise at AU was driven at least in part by his failure to embrace that weathly booster and the pay to play system. Many of us think the Barners cheated wholesale for many years. The phrase 'Scam Newton' is often used to describe the money that changed hands when he was recruited from Juco and signed with AU.

It also wasn't eons ago when Bama went on probation over the $250K that went to some folks in Memphis to secure the services of a very highly rated recruit. The story is that Fulmer talked to the NCAA about Bama's cheating, which led in part to their probation and to some question about how safe it was for Fulmer to go to coach games in the state of Alabama.

And the evidence seems pretty strong that Ole Miss was the beneficiary of a pay to play recruiting policy almost currently.

When Spurrier was coaching at Florida there was an agent scheme working via Tank Black, a former Gamecock player/coach (?) which put money in the hands of Gator players in the late 90s. There is court testimony to that fact and Spurrier himself made a remark about not as many really nice cars in the player parking lots to indicate when talent was down on his UF teams.

I am not accusing anyone or everyone of paying recruits, coaches and agents to make sure players go to FLorida, Auburn or Bama or LSU or Ole Miss these days, but the record is reasonably clear that was almost a norm within the last 20 years.

So when a player jumps to Auburn or to Ole Miss I personally consider it a possibility that money changed hands.

Doesn't everyone think that?

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Auburn has always been a cesspool.***

Jul 15, 2017, 8:17 PM

The altest recruit that everyone is upset about

Jul 15, 2017, 6:52 PM

He stated that Steele told him the truth about recruiting. Could be Steele just told him that Clemson wouldn't take his offer if "certain" other DB's committed ,but Auburn would take it now, check may be included(last part is just a joke).

At the beginning of the Tommy Bowden era the question was

Jul 15, 2017, 7:00 PM

... WHY cant we even get a top player to VISIT campus???

We signed 2 & 3-star players by the truck load and we wildly celebrated an official visit by any low-end 4-star.

Now we seriously wonder how/why we could possibly lose a top recruit to a traditional SEC power?

Times (and expectations) have definitely changed!!

Go Tigers!

Sign'em All ... Win'em All!!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2017, 7:08 PM

1) Because SEC and some kids still want SEC
2) Depth at position they play
3) Can win National Championship
4) Relationship with coaches
5) Length of time being recruited
6) Gut feeling

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2017, 7:09 PM

Auburn is a good school with a rich history. They have good coaches who are also good recruiters. Recruits choose a school for any number of reasons or for no reason at all. Bottom line is we will not get every recruit we want (nobody does) but we get more than our fair share.

Some kids do not want the attention and praise that

Jul 15, 2017, 7:26 PM

a National Championship brings. They would much rather go to a program that flies under the radar. Auburn is perfect, they are not even the best thing going on in the state of Alabama.

Also, some kids love that their head coach is a weirdo, when the HC is a strange as Gus, then the expectations are not high to be normal.

For defensive guys, remember the expectations that we had before Kevin Steele was fired as Clemson's DC? We KNEW before the season started that we were not going to have a GREAT defense. Some kids hate going into a season with a high expectation to perform, and for those guys, Kevin Steele is a great option!

No matter the reason, it is sour grapes and bad form to hate on a kid for going somewhere else. I wish them the best and hope that the mediocre college career that they chose lives up to their hopes and dreams.

Jul 15, 2017, 8:08 PM

You speak as if Auburn isn't a good school and that we will sign every recruit that we're interested in. Can't get them all. We didn't lose out to Wyoming. It'll be ok.

Jul 15, 2017, 9:11 PM

There's no conspiracy here. Auburn is a good football program and some kids prefer it to us or Bama or other schools.

The idea that when other schools land recruits it's because they are cheating or have a $$ bag man is nuts....it's just simple math.

There are 128 schools in D1 football, 65 in the Power 5. Of course other schools are going to get some of the good recruits.

Duh...

Here's how this works.

Jul 15, 2017, 9:21 PM

If they are Tigers in their hearts they'll come to Clemson. If they ain't, who the flock cares?

Wish them well while knowing they chose less than the best.

Now that's how it is!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Plus, our academics are a lot better.

Jul 15, 2017, 9:30 PM

Not that it's at the top of every recruit's list, but it is definitely a distinguishing factor.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jul 15, 2017, 10:00 PM

Top prospects getting paid will never stop. Many kids come from single parent homes with low incomes...and some of those kids can be bought...it is dirty recruiting but it will never end especially in the sec. In some cases, when we lose a recruit to Aub, Tenn, bama, UGA, Florida, LSU, Ole Miss and others there is a good chance they got paid. A few years ago montravious adams and carl lawson were silent commits to clemson until auburn stepped in with bags of cash. It is what it is and it will never end.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2017, 10:57 PM

You got proof?? If it was silent how did you know?

Most highschool kids are not logical...

Jul 15, 2017, 11:33 PM

plain and simple

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic