Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson taking Calhoun out of Calhoun Honors College?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

Clemson taking Calhoun out of Calhoun Honors College?

May 3, 2017, 8:44 AM

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=9134

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't read the article, but saw the reference to Yale,

May 3, 2017, 8:51 AM

and once again, as long as they continue to be a school named after a corrupt slave trader, they are nothing but intellectual hypocrites.

It is amazing what some of these elite schools have turned into. Intellectual cowards, entitled (which I guess they always were), grade inflation, myopic. There's nothing that says they will always be at the top of the academic pyramid and if they continue down this direction, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't in the future.

null

Good Lord stop erasing history

May 3, 2017, 8:53 AM

It's getting beyond ridiculous at this point. As a graduate of the Calhoun Honors College myself this would really #### me off. Regardless of if the name is change I will not change the name on my CV.

Re: Good Lord stop eras

May 3, 2017, 10:13 AM

REALLY?!?! It would p*ss you off?! WHY???

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It pisses me off because where does it stop?

May 3, 2017, 2:47 PM

It's just a viscous cycle of erasing history through the country. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and pretty much all of our founders were slave owners. Should we rename Washington DC, Washington state, all the numerous schools/roads/cities named after every forefather of this country to something more PC? Do we remove all Confederate graves? Erase their names from history?

Agree...sort of...because African American/Black History

May 3, 2017, 10:32 AM [ in reply to Good Lord stop erasing history ]

Has been erased. So, I do see your point. The difference is that the name is there honoring someone who did horrific things to people. Just my opinion.

Quick History Lesson..

Folsom people were in North America before Native Americans. Native Americans are Asians who crossed the Bering Strait and mixed with the Folsom people.

Founding Fathers were Masons. It is seen on our Dollar bill as well as the architecture which is modeled after ancient Egypt/Kemet.

The Yellow Rose of Texas is about a mulatto slave woman who was "with" General Santiago when the Texas soldiers attacked and won. The song commemorates her.

Probably Ok to Keep On There Unless You Are Applying

May 3, 2017, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Good Lord stop erasing history ]

to the NAACP or ACLU. Otherwise you should be fine :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol. Wouldn't matter much...

May 3, 2017, 2:38 PM

There are many examples of men who have done great things but whose morals were questionable, even if it was popular during the times.

Re: Didn't read the article, but saw the reference to Yale,

May 3, 2017, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Didn't read the article, but saw the reference to Yale, ]

Precisely.

No offense Yale grads, but I'd be very hesitant to hire one of you. I can't imagine anybody who's intelligent going to one of those school's and thinking "gee, this seems legit".

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson taking Calhoun out of Calhoun Honors College?

May 3, 2017, 8:53 AM

This is getting absolutely ridiculous. Without John C. Calhoun there is no Anna Maria Calhoun, no marriage to Thomas Green Clemson and no will that established Clemson University. Thomas Green Clemson was a First Lieutenant in the Confederate Army. What next we go after him as well. Colonel John "Grey Ghost" Mosby said once in a letter following the civil war, "People must be judged by the standard of their own age", We cannot hold historical figure to the societal standards of today. They lived in a different time and held different views on many issues.

May 3, 2017, 9:06 AM

The entire town was named Calhoun originally! Clemson needs to recognize several historical facts. Calhoun is considered to be one of the most brilliant thinkers of his age. He served his state and nation in a number of capacities and is honored as among the three greatest political figures of his age.

Clemson's Honors College may believe removing references to him will erase history, but while also a slave owner, Calhoun was a product of his time and place. I hope Clemson alums let the Trustees know that this step is unnecessary despite the "political correctness" of the current academic climate. As a history instructor at another college I would have real issues with "change for merely the sake of change" without assessing the whole picture.

Go Tigers!

Clemson alums? I know of one whiny liberal snowflake who

May 3, 2017, 9:42 AM

will not like your post

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

May 3, 2017, 9:02 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8M2tg2RkIQ

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

May 3, 2017, 9:12 AM

I am an 82 year old Clemson College Graduate and one of Hillary's deplorables. My life experiences cause me to judge such a name change as cowardly and unwise. Without Calhoun there would be no Clemson. That is my two cents worth !

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe it is a good idea. It's not important..

May 3, 2017, 9:15 AM

to keep it that is for sure. Maybe it is good to take it down if the school decides it is. I don't care either way.

Re: Maybe it is a good idea. It's not important..

May 3, 2017, 9:31 AM

This involves the very identity of Clemson its very important.

It's not even slightly important to keep the name..

May 3, 2017, 10:36 AM

The identity of Clemson in the bigger is not even associated with John C. Calhoun. I bet close to 99% of America doesn't even know who he was, as sad as that is for other reasons. Moreover, Clemson will be just as strong with or without that name. That name isn't needed in any way whatsoever. If we keep the name fine. If it is deemed it is better to remove it than that is fine as well. I truly don't care either way. Whatever the university decides is fine.

Ageeed. Will not change clemson.

May 3, 2017, 12:15 PM

Likewise, Calhoun's name does not impact ANYONE'S Life, Liberty or pursuit of Happiness

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

True, but certain people shouldn't be honored.

May 3, 2017, 12:55 PM

There are a lot of people throughout history that shouldn't be honored. I am not saying he should not, but if the university decides he shouldn't, than so be it. He is meaningless in the scheme of things.

Re: True, but certain people shouldn't be honored.

May 3, 2017, 1:27 PM

History is never meaningless in the scheme of things. If not for history the same mistakes can be made over and over without learning from them. The last people I would trust right now is the university's board on an issue such as this. They cave to everything.

Erasing his name would accomplish nothing

Nobody said history was meaningless. Where did you get that?

May 3, 2017, 1:43 PM

John C. Calhoun being on a building is meaningless. You can still go get a book read about history and John C. Calhoun. History will not be erased in any way. This is extreme, but if a building were at the real USC honoring OJ Simpson, would it be okay to change the name? What about a building with Hitler's name on it honoring him in Berlin? How about Michael Madoff? How about Lenny Dykstra? Some people don't deserve to be honored imo. You think anyone who has their name on a building should always have that name on that building or history will be erased. That's odd to me. To each his own I guess. John C. Calhoun's name on a building means nothing to me. History isn't erased other than his name is no longer honored on a building. I went to a baseball game at Candlestick Park in SF. I am so destroyed that they changed the name to a corporate sponsor. They completely destroyed the history. It took me years to get over it. If Calhoun lived properly it should be kept up. If the university decides differently, so be it.

May 3, 2017, 9:19 AM

Are we going to change the name of Clemson University also. This is beyond ridiculus!!!!!!!!!!

Sure, why not make it official

May 3, 2017, 12:10 PM

Clemson university will now be officially known as THE University of South Carolina.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

And so it begins.***

May 3, 2017, 9:24 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And so it begins.***

May 3, 2017, 9:33 AM

This kind of PC crap can be handled with the check book. Cut off the money!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It began in 1982 HTH.***

May 3, 2017, 9:33 AM [ in reply to And so it begins.*** ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

per the article...the university has no current plans to

May 3, 2017, 9:34 AM

change the name of the Honors College....but did acknowledge that could change if a substantial DONOR is located

Unsure where the controversy's coming from...

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Internet, Tweets, Facebook etc. gets people lathered up.***

May 3, 2017, 9:41 AM

When Yale changes their name then get back to me.

May 3, 2017, 9:38 AM

Libtards being libtards.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2017, 9:39 AM

Next will they remove the Calhoun Mansion from the campus?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joining the Calhoun Honors College is voluntary if you

May 3, 2017, 9:50 AM

receive an invitation, just as applying to Clemson is voluntary and attending Clemson is voluntary if accepted. If you have some asinine objection then "protest" by not joining the Calhoun Honor College and better yet not attending Clemson.

So the trump snowflakes throw a hissy fit over a small group of people having a discussion...

May 3, 2017, 9:57 AM

grow a pair seriously. Clemson hasn't planned on changing the name. And please stop posting articles from this website that is trying to slander our great university

Thanks snowflake for the insight.***

May 3, 2017, 11:10 AM

This should not even be up for discussion

May 3, 2017, 1:11 PM [ in reply to So the trump snowflakes throw a hissy fit over a small group of people having a discussion... ]

"Our great university" would not exist if it weren't for Calhoun's family.

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for letting us know you're against freedom of speech***

May 3, 2017, 2:16 PM

Your crew are the experts at no-platforming

May 3, 2017, 3:21 PM

I just learned from the best.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2017, 10:10 AM

Sounds like some students just polled their friends who all said they'd support changing it. Nothing official from the school. Plus this is from Campus Reform, which is uber conservative and tries to turn any little thing into a witch hunt.

Re: Like all of us

May 3, 2017, 10:47 AM

Calhoun was not perfect, but he is a part of South Carolina history.

Re: Like all of us

May 3, 2017, 12:50 PM

Didn't say that he wasn't apart of SC history. I want them to keep it named Calhoun. John C is extremely important to Clemson. I was just stating that this isn't an official University statement and the new source isn't that reputable, imo.

I thought they chose that picture of him intentionally

May 3, 2017, 11:06 AM

to fit their agenda because it makes him look crazy. Then i Googled him and realized he looks bat sh*t crazy in every picture.

TEAR DOWN FORT HILL TOO

May 3, 2017, 11:15 AM

It offends the $%^**%#@ snowflakes on campus.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John C. Calhoun would want his name removed also.

May 3, 2017, 11:38 AM

He wouldn't have wanted his name sullied by these snowFLAKES.

FYI

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=25755

Senator Daniel Webster said of John C. Calhoun, "He was much the ablest man I ever knew. He could have demolished Newton, Calvin, or Locke as a logician." He admired above all his powerful mind and his courage.

There are snowflakes on both sides..

May 3, 2017, 12:58 PM

those crying to keep some guys name up and those crying to take it down. Seems like a bunch of snowflake pansies on both sides.

Trace things back far enough and it always comes down to

May 3, 2017, 12:49 PM

money.

“I think the College is in a position over the next decade or so to attract a major donor who could contribute at a sufficient level to have naming rights,” Lasser divulged, but clarified that “there are no current plans to change the name of the College.”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We should change the name if the cash is there.

May 3, 2017, 1:01 PM

I don't care either way about the issue unless the university benefits. If some wealthy alumni wanted to kickdown 10's of millions I would be all for it in that scenario. We would be foolish not to take it.

Re: We should change the name if the cash is there.

May 3, 2017, 1:29 PM

Haha

All the way to the bank.*****

May 3, 2017, 1:44 PM

They can change the name to CASH Honors College if

May 3, 2017, 2:35 PM [ in reply to Re: We should change the name if the cash is there. ]

the estates of Johnny or June Carter want to make a significant donation and we can sing "A Boy Named Sue" after the alma mater

("How do you do?")

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2017, 1:50 PM

SIMPLE: If you don't like the school and the names of the buildings, there are many more universities you can choose from. I have no doubt that with the number of students looking to come to this great university, we can keep it filled with people that respect history. If you decide to leave, I have a feeling you won't be missed!

By the way, when you get a chance to go by the bank, take all your money out and give your money to BMEIST AND CRUMP. I wouldn't want you to buy anything with money that had pictures of people who once owned slaves. Oh, wait, that's different. Yea, right!

Slavery was a way of life back then. If you lived in the South, they were slaves. If you lived in the North, they were indentured servants (same game, different name).

May 3, 2017, 2:13 PM

Wonder why they don't call the Volkswagon the Hitlermobile?

asking for a friend...

May 3, 2017, 10:57 PM

Ridiculous

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic