Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson soccer shuts out NC State on Senior Day
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 648

Clemson soccer shuts out NC State on Senior Day

Oct 28, 2018, 11:16 AM

CLEMSON, S.C. – Kimarni Smith got the Tigers on the board first, Andrew Burnikel netted a goal on his senior day and Robbie Robinson nailed a free kick goal to propel the Clemson men’s soccer team to a 3-0 shutout of the NC State Wolfpack on Saturday night at Historic Riggs Field. With the win, Clemson finished the regular season at 7-8-1 overall and 2-6-0 in the ACC, while the Wolfpack moved to 8-5-3 overall and 2-4-2 in conference play.

After a balanced first part of the first half, which saw each team take three shots, it was Smith who broke the scoreless tie in the 24th minute in favor of the Tigers, getting past the Wolfpack defense and tapping a shot into the back of the net. Clemson held that 1-0 lead through halftime, and then six minutes into the second half, a high header from Burnikel slipped over a reaching Leon Krapf to give the Tigers a two-goal advantage.

Perhaps NC State’s best scoring chance of the match came in the 65th minute, when David Loera broke away and faced Jonny Sutherland one-on-one, but the Clemson keeper made a nice save to keep the Wolfpack off the board. Sutherland finished the night with three saves.

Robinson put the Tigers up 3-0 in the 75th minute, lacing a free kick from 25 yards out straight to the back of the net, and the Clemson defense held NC State off for the remainder of the match to make that score the final.

“This is something the seniors will remember for the rest of their lives,” head coach Mike Noonan said. “I’m really proud of them. We talked before the game and in training yesterday about having the best defensive performance that we’ve had all year, and I think that Jonny [Sutherland] played well, and the whole back line was terrific.”

Clemson awaits its first ACC Tournament destination, and, regardless of location, the first round will be held on Oct. 31.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson soccer shuts out NC State on Senior Day

Oct 28, 2018, 1:14 PM

Thanks for posting. I'm sure they will get a tough opening match in the acc tourney, but maybe they can make a good run. I know it's been a disappointing season.

Re: Clemson soccer shuts out NC State on Senior Day

Oct 28, 2018, 1:22 PM

your welcome

Replies: 2
| visibility 648
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic