Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson offensive woes continue
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Sep 26, 2009, 11:36 PM

The Tiger offense has now scored just one offensive touchdown in the last nine quarters. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Napier taking blame for the playcalling

Sep 27, 2009, 12:35 AM

Definitely a step in the right direction, as pissed as I was at the end of the game with our missed chances to get a W over a great TCU team, nothing was worse than the clock management at the end of the game. Napier, we need you to get the playcalling excellent on a consistent basis, help out defense out and we'll be well on our way back to the top of the ACC.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Napier taking blame for the playcalling

Sep 27, 2009, 7:44 AM

I'm glad someone sees something positive. Our record is the worst it could be right now. An average high school coach would have the same record right now with all the talent we have at the skill positions!

Sep 27, 2009, 1:21 PM

Seems like i hear this every year...and the sad thing is... i never agree with it. Yeah weve got a talented team but its obviously not as talented as most people think are they would be WINNING these close matchups...instead it seems we lose every close game!

Sep 27, 2009, 1:32 PM

I'm tired of hearing about our talent every time we lose. What good is all this talent doing us? The OL gave Parker time on several key plays and he couldn't make the throw. We lost to TCU. I don't want to hear about their great team. We should not lose to a team from a non-BCS conference. If we can't put up but 10 points against this team, we can forget making a run at the ACC championship. I love Clemson, but something has got to change. I do believe in Dabo. His inexperience is showing. He needs to surround himself with with offensive coaches who are the same level as Steele. Clemson's defense is awesome, but the offense is really bad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 27, 2009, 4:27 PM

I am not sure what is expected of a very young staff (offense) what I saw was a strugle but if 2 players would have made a catch we would be talk out the other side of our mouthes. Yes the coaches are young but they had the plays to win. Our recievers have to step up.

It's not just the 1-2 plays that the players didn't make.

Sep 27, 2009, 5:26 PM

It's also Napier's poor play-calling and game-planning. It's Napier's inability to take advantage of an embarrassment of offensive talent to create mismatches or to punish the defense for stuffing the box, etc. I mean do Dabo and Napier watch the film and think that they called a good game but it was just that the players didn't make a few plays? That seems Bowden-esque.

One offensive TD in the last 9 quarters, and they think that's because the players didn't make a few plays?

“No question, no doubt about it,” Swinney said. “We did a good job of mixing it up and keeping them off balance against a very good defense."

Maybe on the first Tiger drive. Watch the film on the rest of the game. TCU shut you out in the second half.

Receivers did not do a good job, yes the play calling could

Sep 27, 2009, 7:18 PM

have been better. But I saw receivers quit running their routes and Parker hung the ball right out in front of them....keep running and the ball hits you in route. They also dropped several that hit them in the hands...and have all season. They have to catch those...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

So what specifically would you have done differently??

Sep 27, 2009, 7:29 PM [ in reply to It's not just the 1-2 plays that the players didn't make. ]

I have heard a lot of complaining this year, much of it being deserved. However, I am always curious as to what X's and O's some people think are missing. I have a couple of ideas myself but I guess I want to see if you know what you're talking about or just whining--and that really goes for all the whiners. If we're going to biatch, let's specifically biatch.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd start with...

Sep 27, 2009, 9:41 PM

Before I begin, I want to say that I think Dabo has done well as a rookie. I do think we need time for him to turn our team to the team he wants us to be; however, the offense has got to improve. We are staring at an 8-4/7-5 season with how we are playing.

You asked, so here are my thoughts:

1) The team needs to have better clock management. When you are a yard short, you have to quickly line up and run for the first down to stop the clock. Then throw the ball into the dirt to stop the clock for a 2nd and 10 play. That is basic stuff. What we did was a joke.

2) Misdirection - We aren't lining up and beating anyone right now, so the offense has to adapt and use more misdirection. Use what you got - Speed. Rule of thumb, if it works on our defense it will work on theirs. That QB fake handoff run was eating us alive.

3) The few times we ran the option it worked. Now we don't need to get all GT like, but the option fits our players. So, I'd like to see us line up in the wing-t some and utilize our talent.

4) The screen - TCU saw this coming and so did BC when we tried it. Something on film indicates when we run this play; I'd fix it and run this at least once a game. (Again, it works on us)

5) Play selection - Ok, I could go with specific plays but I'd rather just say that only Ford/Spiller are catching. That means we have to do a few things:
a) Move spiller to receiver more - he has proven he can catch the ball really well. Put Harper or Ellington on the field with Spiller and Ford at WR. Ellington deserves to be on the field more. Harper needs to hit the holes faster.
b) Have KP run. He doesn't run nearly enough. (Side note: 3rd/4th and 1 - go wing-t and not the qb sneak. We DON'T have a line; we have SPEED)
c) We pass too much with how we are catching. We have to beat teams on the ground to open up passing.

I could get more specific, but hindsight is 20/20. The point is Napier must use the tools he has more effectively. I still am All in with Napier and Dabo and I really do think these guys are smart and can learn from their mistakes.

Sep 28, 2009, 7:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Napier taking blame for the playcalling ]

right on the mark...well said

Glad he took the blame and hope he fixes some things

Sep 27, 2009, 3:01 PM [ in reply to Napier taking blame for the playcalling ]

use ALL of our playmakers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson offensive woes continue

Sep 27, 2009, 10:32 AM

I haven't been impressed with the play calling the last few games. After this year we need to get a real OC and O-line coach. Parker showed some promise the first two games, but the last two games have been spotty at best.

Napier is a weak novice. Why did Dabo make him OC?

Sep 27, 2009, 4:56 PM

Dabo made a great choice when he picked a strong, seasoned DC, like Steele. But Dabo made a poor choice when he picked a complete novice like Napier to be the OC. It's not like Napier proved himself to be a great OC last year. Clemson went 3-for-16 on 3rd down conversions and 210 yards of total offense against Nebraska. Clemson scored 13 points against UVA. I mean, it's not like Napier proved himself to be a big-league OC. Did Dabo choose him because they're friends or was Dabo on a budget constraint or something? Surely, nobody could have thought that Napier was even close to being the best OC candidate that Clemson could have reasonably hired. I don't even remember Clemson interviewing anyone for OC.

If Napier continues to disappoint, I wonder if Dabo would let Napier go or demote him. Or would Dabo be loyal to Napier the way that Bowden was loyal to Spence?

It will all play out soon enough.***

Sep 27, 2009, 7:20 PM

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

think we ran out of money and couldn't afford OC/WR/OL

Sep 27, 2009, 7:22 PM [ in reply to Napier is a weak novice. Why did Dabo make him OC? ]

with coke points we've saved I think we can hire a couple new coaches

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How about BiLo bonus card points????***

Sep 27, 2009, 7:36 PM

combined with my Coke pts, we might get a real good one***

Sep 27, 2009, 7:40 PM

Re: Napier is a weak novice. Why did Dabo make him OC?

Sep 27, 2009, 7:35 PM [ in reply to Napier is a weak novice. Why did Dabo make him OC? ]

I would tend to think he would cut him lose if things get to a certain point. I wondered if he picked him because he felt he could school Napier on his type of offense. Dabo certainly found out about the delegation aspect of coaching. Since he just saw TB get canned for RS, I would not think he'd be inclined to make the same mistake.

Re: Clemson offensive woes continue

Sep 27, 2009, 7:03 PM

The way I see it is SOS. Diff HC, High expections, poor results, always an excuse. We are hurting for a signal caller. Parker great athlete, FtBl QB not, Korn, like a puppy caught in traffic. Long time Tiger fan 50+ yrs. It hurts.

I am struggling with some people's beef

Sep 27, 2009, 7:46 PM

about Parker. I don't know what else you expect him to do. He's hitting receivers in the hands and they don't catch them--except Jacoby and Spiller. He's has kept plays alive that no one else short of Woody could have done. He throws very accurately--there are some touch passes he could work on. He's ask to throw sideline patterns over the top which is one of the most difficult balls to throw--if it's not perfect it's either intercepted if short or OB if it's a little long. Even the bomb is easier than those passes--especially with the speed of Spiller and Jacoby. Parker calls no signals---he makes reads and can check out. There again, everytime they did that they would throw a quick out, not a quick slant in. I disagree with that type of offensive thinking of going outside on everything. I think you'll reconsider your disappoinment after Kyle has a couple of mmore games under his belt.

Call them Uncle Rico

Sep 27, 2009, 9:50 PM

Yeah, most of the people here who complain about KP know little about football. KP is playing well and is NOT the problem with our offense.

The kid is a freshman and has played well enough to win every game (except maybe BC).

Re:brads fault our o-line is still suspect....

Sep 28, 2009, 8:00 AM

they can not run block.the last 2 games tackles for loss,a4th and inches we lost yardage on.the line isnt getting it done.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic