Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson needs a deep threat
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 2,827

Clemson needs a deep threat

Sep 20, 2015, 8:50 PM

So Watson can spread the ball around. I could tell not having Mike williams on the field was a little bit of a blow on offense because I didn't see the ball thrown down field as much. Who would be the one that Watson throw the ball to.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson needs a deep threat

Sep 20, 2015, 8:52 PM

I believe it is more a product of a lack of time to throw downfield than the lack of a deep speed threat.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

exactly, it all starts up front on both sides of the ball..

Sep 20, 2015, 8:54 PM

Just look how good the dline is playing. Makes it much easier for the linebackers and defensive backs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have plenty of deep threats, the oline needs to...

Sep 20, 2015, 8:52 PM

block so Watson isn't getting knocked around.

Re: We have plenty of deep threats, the oline needs to...

Sep 20, 2015, 8:54 PM

am i missing something. how may times has watson been sacked

I stated knocked around, not sacked.

Sep 20, 2015, 8:55 PM

he was sacked only once against Lville, but Lville got a lot of hits on him after he got rid of the ball. Pressuring the QB doesn't just involve sacks.

Agree, did you ever hear the announcers say, "He had all day

Sep 20, 2015, 9:00 PM

to throw the ball" Lots of, "Watson barely got that one off, before being slammed to the ground." We must give him more protection. Don't you remember the hit he took on the fist TD?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree, did you ever hear the announcers say, "He had all day

Sep 20, 2015, 10:35 PM

Or looking up at that second pick from the ground? Most of the time he didn't get sacked because he got rid of it quickly. He never had time to set his feet, get in a rhythm or work his progressions. He is doing pretty darn well all things considered. I really really REALLY hope they are coaching up that line awful hard next 2 weeks. ND has a legit line on both sides. I hate to say it, but they look pretty good if the injury bug dosn't hit them any harder. I'd love to hang 39 on them but afraid it's going to be a grinder at best.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree, did you ever hear the announcers say, "He had all day

Sep 20, 2015, 10:35 PM [ in reply to Agree, did you ever hear the announcers say, "He had all day ]

Or looking up at that second pick from the ground? Most of the time he didn't get sacked because he got rid of it quickly. He never had time to set his feet, get in a rhythm or work his progressions. He is doing pretty darn well all things considered. I really really REALLY hope they are coaching up that line awful hard next 2 weeks. ND has a legit line on both sides. I hate to say it, but they look pretty good if the injury bug dosn't hit them any harder. I'd love to hang 39 on them but afraid it's going to be a grinder at best.

Re: We have plenty of deep threats, the oline needs to...

Sep 20, 2015, 9:07 PM [ in reply to Re: We have plenty of deep threats, the oline needs to... ]

DW has been hit hard in the App st and Lville game.
It's what's messing his game up hurring the pass every play.

Unfortunatly none of them have the chemistry that #7

Sep 20, 2015, 9:36 PM [ in reply to We have plenty of deep threats, the oline needs to... ]

and #4 had. Hopefully that changes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Sep 20, 2015, 9:02 PM

Not going to see Watson throwing the ball deep if he doesn't have time to throw...plus when defenses are defending against the deep ball you have to run the ball and throw short passes.

Exactly - we have excellent deep threats. Louisville denied

Sep 20, 2015, 9:34 PM

the deep ball and sacrificed the underneath stuff by design. Plus our young O-line struggled with protection at times; getting banged up early and having to play 2nd and 3rd stringers there didn't help. Peak, Hopper, Cain, and McCloud all are long ball threats.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Sep 20, 2015, 9:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson needs a deep threat ]

7 was going to have a monster year. Would love to see us go max protect and throw deep at times. We gave to out scheme them. If not take the short passes and walk it down the field. 8 maybe 4s best option as the season progresses for the deep ball.

Sep 20, 2015, 9:04 PM

I think it's primarily a product of play-calling. We were vanilla the first two games, and really didn't show much during the UL game. Is it still possible we're holding back a bit for the ND and GT games? With all of the skill at the receiver positions, I highly doubt we're missing a deep threat...Peake can fly, and so can Cain and McCloud. Elliott publicly stated their goal was to run the ball, knowing the game would be a defensive battle and UL would try and negate the long plays. Credit the cards for a job well done, but I think we see the offense unleashed very soon. WE ARE an explosive offense, and with our depth at WR and a QB like DW4, one man won't stop that show. Stay tuned...

Sep 20, 2015, 9:10 PM

I think the issue is more that we're missing a threat over the middle of the field. Not all receivers can go make a catch over the middle of the field with a safety locked in on them ready to lay the boom. Williams is very talented at making the catch in traffic over the middle of the field.

I think that is what we're missing the most on offense right now.

null

Sep 20, 2015, 9:38 PM

I think the biggest thing isn't having someone go over the middle. All our guys can go over the middle, down the sideline, run screens or jet sweeps. The biggest thing is that Mike embraced the role of being the number one receiver and loved flying down the field for the deep ball (I know you can debate me about Scott as well on that but Mike was Numero Uno). Once one of our guys embraces that role (hopefully Charone) it will be the difference maker. It is just like when Xavier Dye had the opportunity to step up and become the Number One guy "The Guy" the pressure just got to be too much for him to be hungry enough to want to be that WR IMHO.

Re: thanks captian obvious***

Sep 20, 2015, 9:47 PM

After three games I'm betting that the coaches know what

Sep 20, 2015, 10:31 PM

to do.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apparently you don't follow recruiting...

Sep 20, 2015, 10:34 PM

Otherwise you'd know we have Hunter Renfrow.

Cain is working on that everyday.

Sep 20, 2015, 10:37 PM

So is Atarivs and RR.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree Williams's absence has had an impact ...

Sep 21, 2015, 12:28 AM

Desean shows more confidence in Williams than other untested WR's including old-timer Peake. And yes, some of it is blocking but kudos to OL for stepping up in Louisville in the face of injuries. Hopefully Watson and WR's will use the next two weeks to work out route timing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree Williams's absence has had an impact ...

Sep 21, 2015, 2:30 AM

Peake is actually faster than Mike Williams, we have the deep threat. Cain is also a viable deep threat and Hopper has gone deep a few times in his time. We dont need the deep threat the way people think. Its more about making the YAC and we do good in that category.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cain will be the answer,

Sep 21, 2015, 5:44 AM

but he's just now ready for prime time. Had to get comfortable. Look for him to be targeted at least once on a deep ball vs. ND. What he will do with the opportunity will determine his impact going forward. Could be:
A - "Wow, that guy is fast. Too bad he can't catch."
B - "Boy, when that freshman adds some strength he'll be able to fight the physical coverage down the sideline."
C - "Man, where has this cat been hiding? Sammy 2.0!"

I suspect he will evoke the B or C reaction. We shall see.

WL

Replies: 23
| visibility 2,827
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic