Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson game in Tokyo
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Clemson game in Tokyo

Jul 26, 2018, 5:07 PM

I’m currently a student but I have an old 1981 NC poster, my uncle gave me, with the schedule on it. I believe the schedule is for the 1982 season. I noticed that the last game of the season one week after South Carolina on November 27 Wake Forest is on the schedule. And all the other games say home or away and have the time but this one says Tokyo 11 pm eastern time. Anybody know what this is about?

Also many of the games have writing in quotation marks for example Georgia (National TV-ABC) and Kentucky (Homecoming). The Wake game says (Mirage Bowl). Any information would be greatly appreciated.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson game in Tokyo

Jul 26, 2018, 5:17 PM

Click on each game for details __ google is your friend^^^^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_Clemson_Tigers_football_team

Jul 26, 2018, 5:18 PM

From 1977-1993 there was a regular season game played in Toyko. The first bunch of years (77-85) it was called the Mirage Bowl as they were promoting the Mitsubishi Mirage. The last few years (86-93) it was called the Coca-Cola Classic after the disaster of New Coke. Clemson chose to participate in this game twice. Clemson played Wake Forest in 1982 and Duke in 1991. As a side note, the program for the 1982 Mirage Bowl is the only thing missing from my collection. It is my holy grail. So...if anyone out there has a copy or knows someone who does, please let me know. I will pay top dollar. I recently obtained the 1991 program. I hope this information helps!

Jul 26, 2018, 5:25 PM

This is really interesting. I watch and read a ton of college football and I’d never heard of this. That 11 pm kickoff had to be rough I remember waiting out the 9pm kickoff vs Auburn two years ago and almost going insane.

11 PM here is a noon game in Tokyo.

Jul 26, 2018, 11:45 PM

If we had played there between 1995 and 2013 it would have been, you guessed it, just another noon game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 26, 2018, 9:18 PM

It was interesting just walking to class that semester. The Japanese media was all over East Campus for weeks trying to get pictures of football players. We began to understand why celebrities make such an effort to avoid the paparazzi!

Was on a business trip...

Jul 26, 2018, 10:50 PM

In San Fran area in'fall of '83 the same day of Tiger/Dawg game so was wearing Tiger attire. During a tour of Yosemite I encountered several visiting Japanese students who saw my tiger attire and they exclaimed together 'Ahhh Crimson!' We had a big laugh as they had attended that game the year before and pulled for the Tigers during the game and enjoyed hearing Tiger Rag. It made me proud that Tigers made a memorable impression to these Japanese youngsters.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Was on a business trip...

Jul 26, 2018, 11:11 PM

That is such a great story! Thank you for sharing. Go Tigers!

We agreed to play a game in Tokyo. It was a big national

Jul 27, 2018, 6:37 AM

story in Japan, with players appearing on their version of the Today Show, The Tonight Show, and Good Morning America type shows. We were heavily favored and we barely won, 21-17. I mean it was incredible how close we came to losing that game. The stadium atmosphere was very loud and full, with half given shakers for Wake and half for Clemson. The Grambling University band was invited and they were loud. Of course it was Wake Forest that sold their home game for this event, not Clemson.

We also did the same thing a few years later with Duke. That game was a little easier to win, but not much easier. I think we won 33-21. I know some teams play a game in Ireland, and ustralia in recent years, but I don't care if Clemson ever plays another overseas game again.

Check out this picture. Richard Butler, by the way, was

Jul 27, 2018, 7:13 AM

Jerry Butler's brother, I believe.

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/On-This-Date-1982-(10)Clemson--27--WFU--17--Tokyo-Japan-1758388

We actually got to play in Hawaii and Tokyo that year. Both

Jul 27, 2018, 9:24 AM

trips were a lot of fun. The Japanese folks loved the Tiger players. The players were literally giants over there. Every time they got off of the buses to go eat or do something the folks over there were going crazy taking photos.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2018, 9:38 AM

The game against wake that year was our bowl game for the 82 team. On the flight over the team was told of the up-coming probation handed out by the ncaa and acc. The game it's self was not very exciting, the team sort of sleep walked through the game. We did not make the bowl scene again until 1985.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic