Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson, SC State in NY Times
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 3,173

Clemson, SC State in NY Times

Sep 19, 2016, 2:49 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/19/sports/ncaafootball/historically-black-schools-pay-the-price-for-a-football-paycheck.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

now hold on a minute! Tha Citadel beat sc last year! for the

Sep 19, 2016, 3:01 PM

2nd time!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson, SC State in NY Times

Sep 19, 2016, 3:05 PM

ALL smaller schools pay that price , it makes no difference what the student body racial make-up is .
Dumb article .
At one point in it's history , Clemson College was this type of opponent...except against our state school ...we've been beating them like a rented mule since they asked us to play .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Sep 19, 2016, 3:29 PM

It is more interesting to have a story based on race than based on pure facts. I think we need to quit playing FCS schools. Every game does not have to be a power 5 school, but we should play strictly 1A.

Message was edited by: reynolds357®

Southeastern Louisiana is 64% white

Sep 19, 2016, 3:06 PM

and has never been a HBC

I agree with this, especially SC State

Sep 19, 2016, 3:07 PM

They dont even pretend to have any desire to win. They run the same run plays to shorten the game and walk out with that check. Its embarrassing. Id rather see us play Tulane, Idaho, Georgia St, etc. The SC State game is really not fair to anyone involved. Atleast Furman, Wofford, and Citadel try...

Idaho is dropping down to FCS next year.***

Sep 19, 2016, 3:08 PM

Re: Idaho is dropping down to FCS next year.***

Sep 19, 2016, 3:35 PM

Can't believe a school with a "Dome stadium" is dropping down. (more like a football field packed into a basketball gym)

good move for them

Sep 19, 2016, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Idaho is dropping down to FCS next year.*** ]

they resisted for years because that would be "admitting defeat" to Boise State but they will be competitive in FCS as opposed to being horrible in FBS every year

Not fair to anyone but SC State. What is not fair is for

Sep 19, 2016, 3:58 PM [ in reply to I agree with this, especially SC State ]

bleeding hearts from New York (or anywhere) to criticize us and them for helping them financially. I don't like playing them either, as we don't gain anything....nothing. However, I like the fact that we are able to help an in state team that otherwise would be playing another team in their division and not making diddly squat!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why zero in on the HBCU teams unless

Sep 19, 2016, 3:11 PM

you're trying to make race an issue? Loads of teams get thrown under the cleats of larger programs for the same reasons the HBCU teams do.

The article stated that the HBCU teams used to have great programs but they don't anymore. The reason they don't now is because there is no institutionalized racism like there was in the days when the HBCU teams thrived. Now, a young African-American student/athlete can go anywhere he likes, literally - from Ivy League to Southeastern Conference. It used to be the only place an African-American student/athlete could play for an African-American coach/staff was at a HBCU , but not any more.

I've taught some classes at a HBCU school and understand and appreciate their value, but the reason they so often get scheduled is nothing more than basic supply/demand - they need money, big schools have it. Big schools need game-day experience with a relatively guaranteed win, and the smaller schools can offer it.

The HCBU teams have the needs they have because they have placed their priorities elsewhere, and that's great - more power to them. But it's definitely not a race thing, much less a racism thing.

it's because the SWAC and MEAC

Sep 19, 2016, 3:15 PM

are two of the weakest FCS conferences and largely that's due to lack of funding for those schools and their athletic programs.

But you're right this article is trying to make it into a race issue.

several commenters think the sign in the stadium

Sep 19, 2016, 3:32 PM

says "Clemson Welcomes You to Death" and are horrified. Because "Valley" was cropped out of the pic.

Stupid non-football fans mind your own business, how about it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: several commenters think the sign in the stadium

Sep 19, 2016, 3:34 PM

I do not care what yankees think. That is mainly who reads the NYT.

I read the full article, It actually doesn't dig Clemson as

Sep 19, 2016, 4:21 PM

much as I thought it would judging by the response. 2 things stood out financially.

The suggestion was for HBCU's to move down to division 2 They could compete better and not have the expenses. This is reasonable.

My suggestion is to get rid of the law requiring Clemson and Scar to play instate FCS schools. Prior to the Law CU and SCar played plenty of teams from the FCS including instate schools. But by creating a monopoly pool the FCS actually get paid less than they would if they marketed their games else where. SC STATE got paid 300,000. At the time of the law teams like Furman were getting 750,000. In State Schools will still be played just like before but now CU and SCar would have to compete. The FCS teams would make more money no matter who they played.

Suggestion 2. Either get rid of Title IX (fat chance) or at least admit there is no equivalent to football in Female sports. This exception would allow schools to reduce their expenses keep their dignity and make more money on sports that have a little better return. If they move to division 2 they give up women's sports and their notoriety. this solution only has them giving up one of those.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

there's no law that says that

Sep 19, 2016, 4:27 PM

for example, Gamecocks don't play an in-state small school this season. They play West Carolina.

And with the Citadel last year, they may want to get out of that business for good.

09/01/16 atVanderbilt Vanderbilt # Nashville, Tenn. W, 13-10

09/10/16 atMississippi State Mississippi State # Starkville, Miss. L, 27-14

09/17/16 vs.East Carolina East Carolina Columbia, S.C. W, 20-15

09/24/16 atKentucky Kentucky # Lexington, Ky. 7:30 p.m. ET

10/01/16 vs.Texas A&M Texas A&M # Columbia, S.C. 4:00 p.m. ET

10/08/16 vs.Georgia Georgia # Columbia, S.C. TBA

10/22/16 vs.Massachusetts Massachusetts Columbia, S.C. TBA

10/29/16 vs.Tennessee Tennessee # Columbia, S.C. TBA

11/05/16 vs.Missouri Missouri # Columbia, S.C. TBA

11/12/16 atFlorida Florida # Gainesville, Fla. TBA

11/19/16 vs.Western Carolina Western Carolina Columbia, S.C. TBA

11/26/16 atClemson Clemson Clemson, S.C. TBA

Yep. There's a law or rule or something as of 2007

Sep 19, 2016, 5:44 PM

or 08 or 09 (somewhere along in there) that CU and SCar must seek to schedule in state FCS schools before looking elsewhere (if they are going to play an FCS school). It may be that this year none where available to schedule. Obviously there is no obligation for the FCS schools to hold their schedules open.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

no, just like there's no law that Clemson must play SCAR

Sep 19, 2016, 6:29 PM

every year. What happens is some legislator PROPOSES a law for it and people twist that into "it's a law".

There's no law. It's an unwritten "policy" that the schools agree to do that for in-state schools. No penalty is assessed if they don't.

here's the best article I can find on it -- No law is mentioned.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140913/PC20/140919714/for-clemson-and-south-carolina-in-state-fcs-foes-a-bargain

As for the Clemson-Carolina thing, it was a law -- for ONE year, in 1952. Some joker tried to make it a law a couple years ago, but failed.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20120208/PC20/302089981

Exactly. I have seen this posted a couple of times today.

Sep 19, 2016, 9:07 PM

There is no law requiring Clemson or USC to play in-state FCS schools. Per your post, a law was PROPOSED in 2012 by a lone State Rep that would require Clemson and USC to play every year due to ACC expansion scheduling fears. It was defeated very quickly in subcommittee and never even came to a full house vote.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: I am not sure what the point of this article is...

Sep 19, 2016, 5:22 PM [ in reply to I read the full article, It actually doesn't dig Clemson as ]

Typical NYT article.... So is it wrong for Clemson, FBS schools, NCAA to schedule these games? Are the FCS schools wrong? Is this a lib attempt to further their weath redistribution agenda to suggest that FBS schools support the athletic budgets of the FCS without putting the players at risk?

Love how the journalist conveniently left out that Dabo and co played 92 different players!!!

Btw the picture sums up the disingenuous media... "Valley" was obviously left out on purpose....

at least they said the acc was powerful***

Sep 19, 2016, 5:29 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2016, 5:47 PM

All power 5 conferences need to pass laws so no teams schedule FCS. We can get to group of 5 teams to play us at home every year

Sep 19, 2016, 8:20 PM

Thankfully, later reader comments have been very good in correcting some of the "one-sidedness" presented in the NYT article and earlier reader responses.

I was also surprised (not sure why, though) that not only was the "Welcome to Death" picture carefully crafted, but the other 6 pictures were, as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2016, 8:21 PM

Thankfully, later reader comments have been very good in correcting some of the "one-sidedness" presented in the NYT article and earlier reader responses.

I was also surprised (not sure why, though) that not only was the "Welcome to Death" picture carefully crafted, but the other 6 pictures were, as well.

uhhh.... Clemson 58, Miami 0..... Clemson 41, NCSU 0....

Sep 19, 2016, 8:34 PM

2013 - CU 56, Wake Forest 7
2013 - CU 59, Virginia 10
2012 - CU 56, Duke 20
2007 - CU 70 , Western Michigan 14
2006 - CU, 63, Temple 9

et al, ad nauseum

right on down to everyone's favorite:

2003 -
Clemson 63
USUCK! 17

Re: uhhh.... Clemson 58, Miami 0..... Clemson 41, NCSU 0....

Sep 19, 2016, 9:13 PM

I love them all, but you're right, 63-17 is my favorite!

Replies: 25
| visibility 3,173
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic