Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Offense vs SEC Defense Last Year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 3,249

Clemson Offense vs SEC Defense Last Year

May 14, 2019, 4:42 PM

All this talk about Clemson and SEC schedules had me do a little research about how we did vs Sec defenses last year vs how they did the rest of the way.

A&M averaged giving up 26 - we scored 28
SCAR averaged giving up 28 - we scored 56
Bama averaged giving up 18 - we scored 44

Just for fun
ND averaged giving up 18 - we scored 30

Clemson averaged giving up 13, btw

I think we would be just fine in the SEC and any added issues from a "tougher schedule" would be fixed with the extra depth we would have from missing on some of these SEC only recruits. It's less of an issue now but we all remember that was a big problem a few years back. Time to face it Dabo done woke up the sleeping giant??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson Offense vs SEC Defense Last Year

May 14, 2019, 4:47 PM

The entire " tougher " conference argument falls apart when the undisputed champion and bully of the SEC got beat like a rented mule in the championship of champions .
I understand conference depth and the other arguments , but theur best wasn't good enough by a long shot.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

May 14, 2019, 5:06 PM

Clemson beating Bama has nothing to do with which conference is better. It means the best in the ACC was better than the best in the SEC.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clearly the ACC is superior to the SEC

May 14, 2019, 5:19 PM

in academics and football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2019, 5:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Offense vs SEC Defense Last Year ]

Runt of the litter!

May 14, 2019, 5:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Offense vs SEC Defense Last Year ]

Does UVa beating UofSC by 28 points have anything to do with it?

Of course not. Two years ago when ACC was matching SEC in head to head battles it didn't matter then either. What gives for little ole Clemson? We are trying to understand the rule of SEC football but we are confused by the logic.

1. SEC is better because they play a tougher schedule.
2. SEC is fatigued because they play a tougher schedule.
3. Alabama who had to play a BIG 12 team in CFP had a tougher opponent than Clemson.
4. Clemson played undefeated and #3 ND in CFP but ND didn't belong there.
5. UGA belonged in CFP but lost to Texas because they didn't care about that bowl game.
6. Clemson does not have to game plan for any other team so they plan for Alabama all year.
7. Clemson doesn't represent ACC because....; Alabama represents the SEC and win championships for the SEC.

I am sure there are more rules because the SEC JUST MEANS MORE.
Sorry about the ones I missed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2019, 5:49 PM

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I never stated which conference was better. I just pointed out that Clemson beating Bama didn "answer the question" of which conference was better. I hear all the time that the SEC isn't that good, it's really just Bama carrying the torch for the conference. That may be true but isn't it also true about Clemson in the ACC?

May 14, 2019, 5:54 PM

2nd best in the Big 12 was better than the 2nd best in the SEC as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4th best ACC division > 4th best SEC division***

May 14, 2019, 6:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2019, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Offense vs SEC Defense Last Year ]

Well, the SEC tells us our schedule is weak and that we don't get beat up in our conference games. We are always reminded of SEC speed, SEC power teams and little ole Clemson would be in the middle of the pack if they had to play an SEC schedule. I suppose we don't tackle as hard or block as hard as they do in the SEC. Alabama lost to the Tigers because they had to play a tough SEC schedule. They had only one close game all year and it was not in the national championship.

The only thing that matters is winning, not the potential, recruiting rankings, conference affiliation or other excuses. The "we didn't want to be their" is an indictment of the players not giving it their all. If you don't want to be there, just refuse to go.

If and whenever the Bulldogs win a national championship please come back and we'll talk football.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2019, 7:18 PM

Clemson is the best in the ACC and would be the best in the SEC. That said, Clemson is going to run through the ACC because 1) they are by far the best in conference and 2) the conference isn't that good. Clemson will then not be challenged in the conference championship (see 1 and 2 above). If Clemson played the SEC West schedule I think they would win 'em all but it would be a far harder course to navigate than the ACC Atlantic. The also-rans in the SEC West (LSU, Auburn, A&M) are better than the ACC Atlantic (NC St, Syracuse, BC).

If it's just the same to you, I'll keep on talking football now.

May 14, 2019, 7:43 PM

You make some good points but are wrong on that one. Look up Bama’s schedule and results against the west.

The vaunted west Bama rolled through with ease. The closest game was a 22 point victory. The difference is Clemson plays all of its players and led the nation in average players played per game. We build depth because it’s Dabos philosophy, not because we play in the ACC. We would do the same against the West.

The closest game on their schedule was Georgia and that was with a 1-legged QB who was replaced by a hybrid safety/rb who pretends to be a QB.

Ya, put Clemson in the west and it would be no different than the Atlantic.

May 14, 2019, 10:50 PM

This is the point that cannot be answered by SEC fans. Alabama beat the living snot out of LSU and every other SEC team, except UGA in the SEC championship game. This logically leads to skepticism an SEC schedule is as tough as many believe. So many Bama games seem over before the kickoff.

Sometimes I worry Clemson substitutes too many players during games but the seasoning clearly pays off at the end of the season.

Margin of victory doesn't matter when you win 'em all!

May 14, 2019, 8:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Offense vs SEC Defense Last Year ]

Just think, if Clemson was in the SEC Georgia would have to pull for Clemson in the National Championship game. Then explain that Clemson was the greatest team ever because we played in the SEC.

2nd best Big12 was better than 2nd Best SEC Too

May 14, 2019, 6:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Offense vs SEC Defense Last Year ]

Correct?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

May 14, 2019, 6:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Offense vs SEC Defense Last Year ]

Yes .... just like the SEC when Bama was (and still is) riding roughshod over everyone else.

If it would have been the other way the talking heads

May 14, 2019, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Offense vs SEC Defense Last Year ]

Would have been kissing the SEC a$$

Remember when bama was the greatest team of all time because they blew out every scrub in the SEC?

You idiots couldn't even beat them with a hurt QB.

The sec is just the same as the top 3 conferences. They are probably better than the pac12.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2019, 10:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Offense vs SEC Defense Last Year ]

Go back and read. No one said anything about the ACC being as good as the SEC. what it did say is that Clemson whipped the SEC’s best- something Georgia hasn’t been able to do.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2019, 5:13 PM

But they were "Fatigued"

They were fatigued because they didn't have to play hard

May 14, 2019, 5:26 PM

enough to test them sufficiently enough that Bama could discover their weaknesses....

Every time I hear one talking up their schedule

May 14, 2019, 5:15 PM

I just tell them that Clemson would be favored in every single game of their upcoming schedule. So there's that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Re: Every time I hear one talking up their schedule

May 14, 2019, 5:25 PM

That is fact . Something that Coots and Mutts can hardly pretend to understand .

DB23

May 14, 2019, 11:01 PM

Wait wait wait. Has Saban changed his story or is this purely the opinion of the sec coat tail passengers ? I thought Nicky said Clemson boat raced the tide because the Clemson coaches used “copy cat” plays, not because bama was tired from playing in the rough and rugged sec. It’s getting to be a bit much to keep up with.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There must be something wrong with your numbers.

May 14, 2019, 11:04 PM

Because it makes the SEC look very mediocre.

Replies: 23
| visibility 3,249
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic