Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson House memory:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

Clemson House memory:

Nov 15, 2017, 8:55 PM

On November 30th, 1981, the Monday after the Pitt-Penn State game the previous Saturday, the AP top-20 was going to come out. I felt 99% sure Clemson was going to be #1. I also knew there was an AP wire ticker in the Clemson House lobby at the far right end of the lobby. I also knew the poll was going to come out at approx. 6 to 6:30 pm. I walked from Johnstone Hall, across Bowman Field, across the street and up to Clemson House. I walked into the front door, went over to the wire and waited. Not long after I got there, tick tick tick and then

.................Associated Press Top-20 College Football Teams..................
.......1. Clemson............
.......2. Georgia............
.......3. Alabama.............
.......4. Nebraska..........

I went back to Johnstone to spread the news. I should have texted a picture of the rankings back to Johnstone with my smart phone. Oh wait, never mind.
Sounds ancient now, to have to wait until Tuesday evening for the top-20 to come out, and then have to get it off the wire, or later on local news, even worse the next day in the newspaper.
That was the final regular season poll. And the first time I had ever seen Clemson football #1.

Of course the final poll of the season after the Orange Bowl was:
1. Clemson
2. Texas
3. Penn State
4. Pitt

By the way, the Georgia Dome is scheduled to be imploded this coming Monday, November 20, 2017.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson House memory:

Nov 15, 2017, 9:57 PM

thanks for the trip down memory lane

Nov 15, 2017, 10:03 PM

By far, my most vivid memory of the Clemson House was on that fateful day of the Challenger explosion. I was a graduate student, and my then boyfriend (now husband) and I were going in to get one of their great hamburgers...only to find ourselves in total shock, glued to the TV, watching the news about the Challenger.

Nov 15, 2017, 10:05 PM

Tough times. What a shocker. Sad time then.

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2017, 12:08 AM

Thanks for sharing your stories.

Way, way back in the late 50's and early 60's

Nov 16, 2017, 12:32 AM

if you didn't want a great hamburger at "Dan's", and wanted a classy meal, you went to the Clemson House dining room. Great memories of that place.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic