Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Dodges MLB Draft for once
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Clemson Dodges MLB Draft for once

Jun 4, 2019, 6:37 PM

Coming into the draft Clemson had 5 signees that were very likely to go in the top 10 rounds and never make it to campus. 3 of those signees were ranked inside Baseball America and MLB.coms top 150 prospects. The top 10 rounds concluded today and only 1 Clemson signee was drafted in SS Nasim Nunez. He was drafted in the 2nd round and wont make it to Clemson. But getting the other 4 guys is huge. In order by rankings, C/1B Jonathan French, P Mack Anglin, P Gavin Collyer, and OF/LHP Dylan Brewer all went undrafted. If youre not familiar with the draft, teams get an allotment for the top 10 rounds based on the number of picks they have within those 10 rounds. If they draft a HS or JC player in those 10 rounds, most of the time they've already worked out the money details or that team wouldn't take them when they could use that allotment on someone they know will sign. So the fact that these signees didn't get drafted in the first 10 rounds means a team wouldn't match the $ amount that they wanted. Some players jack their price tag up if they really want to go to college and make teams pay higher amounts to lure them away. I don't know which Junior College players Clemson has signed because its almost impossible to track JC recruiting so I'm not sure if they lost any JC players although I don't think they did. Kyle Wilkie and Carson Spiers are the 2 big names left for Clemson to dodge. After the 10th round teams don't throw out big $ figures so will be interesting to see how early/late they get drafted. I'd say if they get drafted Round 20 or later that they will be back. So all in all a really good draft for Clemson to at this point only lose Davidson and 1 signee.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson Dodges MLB Draft for once

Jun 4, 2019, 8:11 PM

Thanks for the analysis.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2019, 8:15 PM

Jonathan French confirmed on his twitter he is heading to college! Huge pickup. Was ranked #130 on baseball Americas Draft prospects. Here was their breakdown on him. He was listed as a 1B on the official mlb draft tracker so Im guessing we could see him there or behind the plate.

"The latest in a recent line of Georgia prep catchers that includes Tyler Stephenson, Joey Bart, Luis Campusano, Anthony Seigler and Will Banfield, French is among the best prep backstops in the 2019 class. French has solid tools across the board, with above-average raw power, plus arm strength and solid receiving skills. Teams are mixed on his hit tool, with some expecting him to become a solid-average hitter who uses all fields with above-average power. Other teams are more skeptical about his ability to hit for impact in games, seeing it show up more in batting practice with swing-and-miss questions against higher-level pitching. Defensively, French has all the tools to be above-average behind the plate—he was voted as the best defensive catcher in the prep class by scouting directors prior to the season—but he will need to improve the efficiency of his exchange and his footwork on throws to second base. As a receiver, he has strong, soft hands and frames and blocks well. French is committed to Clemson."

Jun 4, 2019, 8:58 PM

Wouldn’t you think French would end up at 1B since we have hackenburg and donathan? Actually, it looked like start of the year that hackenburg was on the fast track. Hitting was down but I thought he was pretty good behind the plate... with limited action.

Hopefully donathan can come back this year and hit- he’s supposed to be an above avg hitter I think.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2019, 10:51 PM

I don't know why they decided to stop playing Hackenberg. Wilkie as a sophomore was a very good receiver and blocker behind the plate but he took a major step back this season. Consistently mishandled balls behind the plate and to be completely honest I think it was due to lack of effort. Just seemed extremely lazy at times. I think it all depends on what they do with Sharpe. I don't know if they continue to let him play both ways or not. You have Bryar Hawkins who could play 1B or DH. Hes going to be a really good hitter imo. French seems to have some work to do offensively. I think you have 5 guys for 3 spots if Wilkie comes back. French, Sharpe, Hawkins, Hackenberg, and Wilkie for C, 1B, and DH. Of course Wilkie would most likely start at C and would think Hawkins would play 1B so then it would come down to 3 guys for DH spot.

Jun 4, 2019, 8:44 PM

Unbelievable someone would TD this post. I wish they’d speak up and explain why... I’ve tried to look for recruiting information before and it cost money.

Thanks for taking the time to post this information. With my limited knowledge, I’ve watched Monte’s classes go up in rank.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

speaking of recruiting

Jun 4, 2019, 9:12 PM

A friend of mine who has a rising junior and is very active in high school baseball was telling me that Kingston isn’t making a lot of friends around the state and prefers a lean towards out of state talent...

also said there wasn’t a lot of love lost with the kids at scar- said he’s not very likesble as the coach. Just the opposite of Monte. Was telling me the in state talent is Monte’s for the taking. And no, they’re not Clemson or scar supporters.

Monte has a pretty darn good pitcher coming from the Lexington area. Can’t wait to watch the kid develop.

Re: speaking of recruiting

Jun 4, 2019, 9:20 PM

Excited about the recruiting but concerned about our hitting coach getting ahold of them

Jun 4, 2019, 10:47 PM

Monte is one of the best hitting coaches you will find. Hitting isn't our issue. Yeah it seems that way in big games but its because the starting pitching puts the offense in such a big hole early until the offense tries to do too much because theyre constantly playing from behind.

Jun 4, 2019, 10:54 PM

Im a big time baseball guy, I coached high school ball from 2013-2018 but now trying to get into the scouting side of things so if you guys have any questions, feel free to ask.

Jun 4, 2019, 11:28 PM

Will do and very much appreciated. Nothing like a good baseball discussion.

There’s some really knowledgeable posters on here that know about baseball. I think you’ll do well with your scouting endeavors!

hitting is not the issue,it's striking out***

Jun 5, 2019, 7:17 AM [ in reply to Re: speaking of recruiting ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2019, 11:54 PM [ in reply to Re: speaking of recruiting ]

Look at all of the losses where we even scored 6, 7 or 8 runs. Hitting was not the problem.

We scored 3 runs total last 2 games. Hitting is as much a problem as pitching***

Jun 5, 2019, 4:04 PM

Re: Clemson Dodges MLB Draft for once- good post- SS

Jun 5, 2019, 12:02 AM

what will be the game plan there

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2019, 2:40 AM

That's the biggest question mark imo. Right now they have 2 SS coming in the 2019 class. Pierce Gallo from Georgia and Regan Reid from TL Hanna. I haven't heard much about these guys to know if they could make an impact early. Clemson went heavy on the arms in this class. 9 of the 14 signees are pitchers. As far as whats on the roster I don't really know if they have anybody that could play SS. I wish there was a way to look and see if any JUCO guys were coming in (im sure there are) because that would give me a better idea. Right now they only have James Parker and Sam Hall coming back that are listed as infielders on the roster. Parker is known for his defense but he will most likely be at 3B. Hope the Gallo kid is good because they may have no choice but to put him at SS. PerfectGame seems to think Gallo will move to 3B so that leaves a big hole at SS.

My prediction right now without knowing if JUCO guys are coming. We have some good options in the OF but INF is worrisome. Starting pitching should also be in a good spot with Strider coming back. Wrobleski was a top 100 draft prospect in 2018 but came to school. Had a terrible FR season but will be a stud once he figures it out.

C Kyle Wilkie
1B Bryar Hawkins
2B Sam Hall
3B James Parker
SS Pierce Gallo
LF Kier Meridith (If healthy)
CF Bryce Teodosio
RF Michael Green
DH Adam Hackenberg or Sharpe if they let him play both ways

Rotation:
FRI: Spencer Strider
SAT: Davis Sharpe
SUN: Mat Clark

WEEKDAY: Hennessy, Askew, Raffield, Lindley

Jun 5, 2019, 2:45 AM

Losing Nasim Nunez to the draft hurt because he would've been a day 1 starter at SS regardless of how good he hit. He probably would've batted 9th but he was regarded as the best defensive high school SS in this draft. Said he could win a gold glove in the MLB. Was clocked at 95mph on throws to first.

Also did a little more research on Gallo and the free info I could gather was he was only rated .5 points lower than Nunez by perfectgame. Nunez had a perfect 10 rating and Gallo was a 9.5 so maybe he can step in right away and contribute.

Jun 5, 2019, 10:40 AM

That is a relief to hear. Solid gameplan @ SS recruiting this year. Really makes it minimal attrition. Getting Spencer back will be huge. Pitching staff is going to be nasty in 2 years and should be much improved in 2020.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2019, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Dodges MLB Draft for once- good post- SS ]

That would be great if gallo could come in and start right away at SS. I kinda lean towards Parker at SS this/ next year. Wasn’t he the #1 rated SS out of South Carolina last year? I think he’s got some options.

Also wouldn’t sell Askew short on a weekend rotation in case Strider/Clark is hurt or struggling. Hopefully he works out his control...

Chime in Skeeta- would like to know what your thinking is!!!!

Jun 5, 2019, 1:23 PM

Yeah they could swap and put Gallo at 3B and Parker at SS.

If Askew's control is reigned in w/out compromising

Jun 6, 2019, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Dodges MLB Draft for once- good post- SS ]

the movement on his pitches . . . He will be a weekend starter!!!

Personally, I would love to see him change his angle of release. I would love to see it move to a more overhand delivery to provide more drive to his curve and slider. It could possibly help his control. It would surly get his pitches to work through more planes within the zone.

Don't quit on Askew!!! His pitches are filthy!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2019, 1:07 PM

How good is the Brewer kid out of Latta? I am originally from Latta myself but now live in Wilmington, NC so its hard to catch many games. Saw on some sites he was projected to be a 7-10th rd draft pick but obviously he hasn't been drafted as of yet.

Jun 5, 2019, 1:20 PM

He's got a chance to be really good, especially once he fills out. Im from Lamar so Ive coached against him. Also played with his brother because they originally grew up and played little league in Lamar. But he has a really strong arm from the outfield and crazy gap to gap ability with the bat. He is just slim. 6'3" 165 lbs. Once he gets in a college weight program he has a chance to be really really good.

Jun 5, 2019, 1:25 PM

One of the things I'm watching the most though is Justin Wrobleski. If yall remember he started the year as our sunday starter. He was the #82 overall ranked player last year by PerfectGame and he was so bad this year the staff had to quit using him altogether. So his development is key. You don't get ranked that high if you cant pitch so either it was something on his end or our staff isn't doing a very good job with development. Raffield coming back from injury will also be big for the staff as he was ranked #101. I think we may see a reverse in 2020 and pitching is our strong suit and offense is our weakness.

He got all messed up in head .. got to where even in practic

Jun 5, 2019, 3:46 PM

he couldn't throw a strike. Hopefully he will get that worked out over the summer. Guy has great potential.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2019, 2:14 PM

I'm not sure if that's a good thing. That's like saying "I'm glad our signees aren't as good as we thought they'd be." Every team has to face the same problems, the good ones overcome them.

Jun 5, 2019, 3:09 PM

No its not. We had 5 guys in baseball Americas top prospects. The draft is done with each team having a certain amount of money they can spend on their first 10 rounds of picks. When they want to take a HS guy they call and ask how much money would it take to sign you away from your commitment. Kids that don't mind going to school use this to their advantage and throw out a big number. If a team hits it then they leave, if not they come to school. Its simple. Just because kids decide to go to school doesn't mean "our prospects aren't as good as everybody elses." Nunez was ranked #43 overall, Anglin #126, French #130, Collyer was in the 200's. Anglin and French told teams they wanted to go to college and Collyer gave them a high number so that's why he went outside of the top 10 rounds. Dylan Brewer was also in their top draft prospects. All but Nunez should end up at Clemson. Anglin and French have already confirmed theyre coming, Brewer hasn't been drafted due to the number set, and Collyer went round 12 because that team is going to try to convince him to sign but it will take a lot.

Jun 5, 2019, 3:10 PM

got your quote wrong so I should say "our recruits aren't as good as we thought thatd be." Not even close to being the case.

Jun 5, 2019, 6:55 PM

Thank you for the notes!

So.. should we expect to see improvement next year?

Jun 6, 2019, 9:13 PM

Or is the excuse going to be “it takes years to see the impact of a baseball recruiting class” ?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So.. should we expect to see improvement next year?

Jun 6, 2019, 10:26 PM

Well it does lag behind.

How are our players who were injured

Jun 6, 2019, 9:17 PM

in the preseason coming along?

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic