Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson COULD still make the playoff
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Clemson COULD still make the playoff

Oct 7, 2014, 1:07 PM

Chances are slim but if we win out, and Georgia Tech keeps winning, that could be a top 10 show down in a few weeks.

And if we beat a top 10 Georgia Tech, it could put us top 5 or close to it.

Just doing some wishful thinking here ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson COULD still make the playoff

Oct 7, 2014, 1:10 PM

We would only get to top 5 if there were some major upsets between now and then.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2014, 1:13 PM

I'm counting on several upsets. There pretty much has to be. All those west teams in the top 10 can't go undefeated ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yea, but that's the thing about those SEC-W Teams...

Oct 7, 2014, 1:23 PM

#1 loses to #6? #6 just becomes #1 and the former #1 is now #2, since they lost to the #1 team in the nation. They've been playing that shell game for years now - if ESPN got their way, it'd be:
#1: Ole Miss
#2: Auburn
#3: Miss St
#4: Alabama

Let's not forget - these are the same "Experts" that put two SEC West teams in the National Championship. How can you play for the National Championship when you're not even the best team in your division, much less conference?? And using that argument, I sincerely don't expect both us and FSU to make the playoffs, nor would I think that was fair either. If there were 8 teams in, then I could maybe see it different, but not if it's only restricted to 4.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yea, but that's the thing about those SEC-W Teams...

Oct 7, 2014, 1:41 PM

Even though ESPN is all over the SEC West right now, you'd have to think that business considerations would play out if they really had a pick. Why limit your core audience to one part of the country (two states in your example) and sacrifice a lot of viewership elsewhere? Now that they've done their SEC pumping, I'd look for them to start pumping up a few other teams from outside the SEC soon. It's all about the money for ESPN.

A few more weeks like last week and we could get there

Oct 7, 2014, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson COULD still make the playoff ]

But I would expect most teams in the top 10 would have to have two losses for us to be in the conversation

Yea, like we join the SEC and get the eSECpn treatment***

Oct 7, 2014, 3:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson COULD still make the playoff ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clearly, we're not one of the Top 4, so why are you wishing?***

Oct 7, 2014, 1:17 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clearly, we're not one of the Top 4, so why are you wishing?***

Oct 7, 2014, 1:19 PM

Clearly were not one of the top 4 right now. We very well could be a top 4 team by the end of the year.

There is no doubt in my mind that we are alot better than what the coaches poll suggests right now.

Give it a rest, you sound like Philpot***

Oct 7, 2014, 1:29 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Give it a rest, you sound like Philpot***

Oct 7, 2014, 3:56 PM

Is Philpot available in the Myrtle Beach area? I may have to listen so I can get some thread ideas from him

;)

I'm not sure even the PO committee's poll will determine the

Oct 7, 2014, 1:18 PM

final four until after the last game of the season. In light of that I'm certain it's possible for Clemson to get a seed.

You can pretty much bet that FSU will be division champs so I'm not getting my hopes up for us this year. Our CCG winner might get a seed but that's almost impossible for us now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do have Dan in the committee, so theres some pull

Oct 7, 2014, 1:22 PM

I still don't think its in sight though

Oct 7, 2014, 1:27 PM

If Clemson wins out.... FSU wins out... Georgia wins out... Georgia and FSU win CC game. Then Clemson's 2 losses were to the top 2 teams in the country.
4 starters were out for Georgia game, Beat FSU like a drum every where but the scoreboard. Clemson also has a different QB..
They may not put us in but the case could be made,,
I will say I think Clemson can beat anybody right now!
Go Tigers!

Hate to sound like a dumper b/c I'm usually not...

Oct 7, 2014, 1:28 PM

But I'd say slim to none...with a heavier emphasis on none as far as chances go...

The FSU game was the nail in the proverbial coffin. They're already talking about the possibility of having THREE SEC teams in the playoffs which is freakin ludicrous. I'd think if you're not the conference champion, then you're not going to make it, and that means FSU would have to lose twice (which ain't happening). Then we'd have to hope we are high enough ranked and thought of to make it in and there's no guarantees with that either...

I think it's a safe bet to say we've missed our shot this year. If we won at FSU, things would be much, much different. Still a great season though and Watson's gonna help big time with our preseason ranking...

Yeah, if they won't have 2 SEC teams, def won't have 2 ACC***

Oct 7, 2014, 1:55 PM

Re: Clemson COULD still make the playoff- Bama

Oct 7, 2014, 1:29 PM

could lose two more and Nicky would still talk himself into it. His ESPN minions know no shame

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think the committee will go strictly by AP/Coaches

Oct 7, 2014, 1:34 PM

polls. We're #13 in the FPI and top 20 in Sagarin. We win out, we'll be top 4 in both of those. Just need to take care of business.

Win out, FSU loses 2, beat GT in ACC champ again, ...

Oct 7, 2014, 2:02 PM

... even with all that happening, I don't think we are in the top 4.

Re: Win out, FSU loses 2, beat GT in ACC champ again, ...

Oct 7, 2014, 2:26 PM

The only hope is this:

We win out
FSU is only undefeated
Everyone else in a major conference has two losses

All that is possible. Will they put two acc teams in? If we are playing our best ball and have a heisman candidate there's a strong possibility.

Re: Win out, FSU loses 2, beat GT in ACC champ again, ...

Oct 7, 2014, 3:55 PM

^^ this

Sounds great for us but they may leave an ACC team out

Oct 7, 2014, 5:47 PM

entirely if FSU loses two...

Don't think a 2 loss ACC team will get in w/o winning champ.

Oct 7, 2014, 5:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Win out, FSU loses 2, beat GT in ACC champ again, ... ]

nm

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic