Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson, Bama, Georgia
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Clemson, Bama, Georgia

Dec 1, 2018, 7:59 AM

For those complaining about 2 SEC teams possibly making it, get used to it. Georgia is recruiting at an amazing level now and will consistently be a top 5 team over the next 10 years, so 2 SEC teams is always a possibility. Bama is Bama and will always be in the mix. Dabo has us rolling. The playoff system may work as far as having the best teams, but it's going to bother the nation seeing the same teams in the playoff. I think it is safe to say that the Tigers will be in the playoff 8 out of the next 10 years. Ohio State will be in the mix too every year. It sucks, but I am confident that eventually they expand to 8 teams. They have to to keep the nation involved. It can't just be mainly a Southeastern thing due to TV ratings. Imagine how odd it will seem when the pundits on TV are debating which teams deserve that 8th spot.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson, Bama, Georgia

Dec 1, 2018, 8:40 AM

I don’t buy that some teams will always be in the mix. Look at the demise of FSU. Teams may be up for awhile but eventually coaches retire or move elsewhere. Still I agree an 8 team playoff would improve national interest. I just think conference championship should serve that purpose.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2018, 8:48 AM

Basically the same teams will be in the mix for most years. I agree some teams will fall off with coaching changes etc. I mean who knows how Bama will be a couple years after Saban retires. That said, if Dabo, Smart, and Saban are all coaching at their respective schools for the next 5 years, those teams will always have at worst 2 of the 4 teams in the playoff. It will start being all 3 pretty soon consistently. I would be shocked if the Tigers weren't in he playoff 8 out of the ext 10.

Dec 1, 2018, 10:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson, Bama, Georgia ]

It’s a combination of school resources and head coach to ensure a team remains in the mix year after year. The school has to have the resources for state of the art facilities and to pay big money for coaches and assistants. The head coach needs to not just be great with X’s and O’s but also a great teacher, great under pressure, a great recruiter, and a great CEO in running a $50M business - keeping assistant coaches happy, convincing elite juniors to come back, etc. t
That said, there are very few schools currently meeting this criteria, and it relies heavily on the head coach:

Clemson and Swinney
Bama and Saban
Ohio State and Meyer
Georgia and Smart (so far)

I’m hard-pressed to put any other school/coach in that elite group that will be in the playoff hunt in the last week of the season year in and year out. Notre Dame under Kelly isn’t consistent enough. Lincoln Riley has only been head coach of Oklahoma for 2 years and took over an established program. Hard to say he elevated it the way Smart elevated Georgia. Certainly not Harbaugh given his varied success.

So expect to see a combination of probably at least 3 of the following in the playoffs every single year until their head coaches leave: Clemson, Bama, Ohio State, and Georgia.

The SEC won 7 straight national titles from 2006 to 2012 because they had Meyer (2) and Saban (3). Auburn just had a one-off year (that they likely paid a lot of money for) and Miles won the national title at LSU with 2 losses in 2007 in the craziest year ever. Now the SEC again has 2 of the 4 great school/coach combos, so unfortunately their dominance at the top of the rankings will continue for some time, elevating the perception of other SEC teams as a result.

Dec 1, 2018, 9:41 AM

I am confident that eventually they expand to 8 teams. They have to to keep the nation involved. Imagine how normal it will quickly seem when the pundits on TV are debating which teams deserve that 8th spot. Very similar to today's hoops bubble watch debates.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic