Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson 2019 defense vs 2020 defense?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

Clemson 2019 defense vs 2020 defense?

Oct 21, 2019, 10:16 AM

I have to say, as many others would, that I thought our defense would have some drop off this year and that the offense would win games for us while the defense improved over the season. The defense has been as solid as anyone could hope for. BV is a genius. So, I’m very pleased with the defense this year.

My question is this. What do you guys expect the 2020 defense to look like once we add Capehart, Bresee, Murphy, and Williams to the defensive line group plus possibly Burch and Flowe- not to mention all of the other studs already committed?

Message was edited by: thebravetiger®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson 2019 defense vs 2020 defense?

Oct 21, 2019, 10:18 AM

Venables should be getting the Broyles award for what he has done with the defense this year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2019, 10:54 AM

Coach V has done (always does) a great job with the defense.

Having a freak like Isiah Simmons gives him a lot of options - which he is smart enough to use in a variety of crushing ways.

Oct 21, 2019, 10:51 AM

I thought about that this morning. I think you will see the defense get back to emphasizing the defensive front 7 like we did prior to this year. Depending on how many in our secondary go pro after this year, we could have only one major contributor back there for 2020 in Nolan Turner. However, I do believe with the numbers Clemson currently has on the defensive line, along with the possible red shirts (Johnson, Orhorhoro and Reuben) combined with the addition of Bresee, Williams, Capehart and Murphy, we should have a great chance at quality depth. Especially if Pickney and Kelly come back for senior campaigns. If we add Burch to the mix, the defensive line will be filthy with talent (all be it mostly young talent). If we land Flowe it will just add, at worst a great depth player to an already established line backing core (though Flowe could be the rare freshman that sees significant snaps in a Venables Defense, he's just that talented). The secondary will be the weakness early on, only because of inexperience, not lack of talent. The good news is there is depth at the Safety position in 2020 (barring attrition) and there are some really talented options at Corner....overall I think the defense could actually be better next year, if the secondary holds up early.

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic