Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
All the hype about Clowney, and it was a good hit, BUT
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

All the hype about Clowney, and it was a good hit, BUT

Jan 3, 2013, 11:02 AM

our own William Perry was the same kind of player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wl9au4knak

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Illegal hit

Jan 3, 2013, 11:08 AM

Beg to differ. He lead with his head, launched himself and hit the other guy in the head (helmet to helmet).
That by definition is an illegal hit ( called targeting).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no it wasn't***

Jan 3, 2013, 11:10 AM

yes it was****

Jan 3, 2013, 11:14 AM

glad you're not a ref

Jan 3, 2013, 11:21 AM

Re: glad you're not a ref

Jan 3, 2013, 8:22 PM

Take a picture coaches at all levels, this is the definition of a perfect tackle. It wasn't dirty, he lead with his shoulder pads, wrapped the guy up, and just happened to also lay the guy flat out. He didn't even need to lunge or jump to knock the guy's block off, he just pushed him straight back and Clowney won that battle.

Stop crying about it being dirty, I'm a Clemson fan and I could watch that hit all day long, as long as it wasn't on somebody's QB, then it would be tough to watch.

Re: Clearly was not helmet to helmet contact

Jan 3, 2013, 11:27 AM [ in reply to yes it was**** ]

Not even close. Nice try though.

so the helment magically flew off without being touched.

Jan 3, 2013, 11:29 AM

It was an Illegal hit.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: so the helment magically flew off without being touched.

Jan 3, 2013, 11:40 AM

Was a good hit. Helmet flew off because Robinson went from moving forward, to being leveled in about a quarter of a second.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So the sound of two helmets colliding must have been

Jan 3, 2013, 5:08 PM

a sound effect added by ESecPN, #### them and their love of all things SEC!

You can have helmet to helmet contact on a RB

Jan 3, 2013, 5:57 PM

The personal fouls are hits on defenseless receivers not hitting a RB coming through the hole. Clowney is 6-6 and that RB is probably 5-10 at most and bending down.

Clean hit. Great play by a great player. Unfortunately he plays for them not us.

Now this isn't to say you can sprint full speed and throw yourself into an opposing player's head, but that isn't what happened.

No, you can't.

Jan 3, 2013, 6:01 PM

"No player shall target and initiate contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul. (Rule 9-6.)"

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No, you can't.

Jan 3, 2013, 6:19 PM
image.jpg(75.8 K)

Contact was initiated helmet to chest or shoulder to chest. See above picture, any attempt to validate your wrong opinion from here own out will result in everyone with rational thought processing skills laughing at you. Also note helmet not even flying off yet, it came off due to whip lash after initial contact. Please see that you are wrong and admit it. The facemask and slightly above is what hit first if the shoulder did not.

Ok Bill Nye the science guy

Jan 3, 2013, 6:32 PM

Whiplash would cause a helmet to fly 15 yards backwards? THAT is laughable.

The crown of his helmet is being led to the players chinstrap (part of his head). Both pics in this thread prove that. THAT, caused the helmet to fly backwards. How else do you wanna explain the 'POP' noise?

If Clowney had contacted him face to face, the crown of his helmet would have never touched the RB and thus, no argument for helmet to helmet as the rules state.

I will say, I don't think it was intentional.

Re: Ok Bill Nye the science guy

Jan 3, 2013, 7:42 PM

If you can not see by that picture that the Rbs head is coming forward from momentum giving it the look that clowney lead to his face with the crown, than you sir are lying to yourself.his facemask is in the guys chest already, so anything that hits after then can not be leading with the crown. 15yds is an exaggeration btw and shoulder pads also make a hell of a noise if hit hard enough

Re: Ok Bill Nye the science guy

Jan 3, 2013, 8:24 PM [ in reply to Ok Bill Nye the science guy ]

No it's really not laughable. Have you ever taken a physics class? The guy's head whipped forward and then back, and that whip backward caused the helmet to keep moving while his head stayed attached to his shoulders. I mean if he was hit any harder his head would have gone with it, but it's a clean hit.

I don't know whether you two are joking

Jan 3, 2013, 11:49 PM

I'll break it down like this:

Step 1)
Note where the crown of Clowney's helmet is. I don't care that the entirty of Clowney's helmet is situated right in Smith's chest. Note the crown. There's a reason why they call attention to this area in the rule book.

Step 2)
Those are photos, a moment in time that DOES NOT show the motion of either player. As Clowney is moving forward, obviously his helmet is moving along with him...right to the chin strap/facegaurd region of Smith's helmet. Think of it as an uppercut by the CROWN of Clowney's helmet.

Step 3)
The impact of Clowney's helmet on the RB's facegaurd disengaged the chinstrap and knocked the helmet off, not whiplash. If either of you believe that then this discussion is over. I may as well argue with this jack russel lying next to me...

If you're still in denial...just look at the video, the evidence is blatently in front of you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHEL8VQFXUY

There it is, at 7 seconds...clear as day. Whiplash...don't think so. The 'POP' noise, clearly helmet to helmetn

And yes, I've taken a physics class, and your explanation still doesn't make sense. Maybe I exgerrated on the 15 yds...more like six, I was just trying to make a point. I still don't think it was intentional and I think it was a good no call. I'm just not buying whiplash caused his helmet to fly off. There was clearly contact between the two helmets.

You sir have just been schooled in physics...class dismissed

Picture perfect form tackle, if you don't like it then

Jan 3, 2013, 8:07 PM [ in reply to Re: No, you can't. ]

go play chess or checkers. If you don't like to get hit then don't play football.

Re: Picture perfect form tackle, if you don't like it then

Jan 3, 2013, 8:18 PM

he lead with his helmet into the helmet of another player! that is illegal by the rules now in effect!if that is what U dirty c$4ts call perfect I am not surprised. After all U and other c%%ts saw nothing wrong with players staying in a hotel FREE and when the gutless NCAA caught U boosters paid the bill and again U saw nothing wrong.U people are PITIFUL!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So the sound of two helmets colliding must have been

Jan 3, 2013, 8:22 PM [ in reply to So the sound of two helmets colliding must have been ]

In case you didn't know helmets and shoulder pads are made of the same material. If you collide with a guy's shoulder pads and you're wearing a helmet it will make a similar sound.

^^^Clearly did not see the play***

Jan 3, 2013, 11:51 PM

Re: so the helment magically flew off without being touched.

Jan 3, 2013, 12:03 PM [ in reply to so the helment magically flew off without being touched. ]

I agree it was a helmet to helmet hit. The MI player's helmet was knocked off with Clowney's helmet. It was not quite a lead with the helmet but it ended that way. The hit was so fast I don't think the ref got to see it. Clowney is a fast guy with talent so it is very hard to understand why he is getting so many rushes without someone trying to block him.

Re: yes it was, reference Rule 9-1-4.

Jan 3, 2013, 11:28 AM [ in reply to yes it was**** ]

The NCAA lists the “targeting” rule as Rule 9-1-4 of its NCAA Football Rule Book, which reads, ‘No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, elbow or shoulder.’

The rule is prefaced in Rule 9-1-3, ‘No player shall target and initiate contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet.’

keyword defenseless, a running back coming thru

Jan 3, 2013, 4:58 PM

the line is not defenseless

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

You're right.

Jan 3, 2013, 6:00 PM

That's why it's 9-1-3, not 9-1-4:

"No player shall target and initiate contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul. (Rule 9-6.)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This says ILLEGAL. no debate!

Jan 3, 2013, 5:20 PM [ in reply to no it wasn't*** ]

Re: This says ILLEGAL. no debate!

Jan 3, 2013, 5:29 PM
image.jpg(75.8 K)

And this says you are wrong, your picture doesn't even show contact sir, and that let's you assume what happened, my picture shows what did happen. Therefore you have been proved wrong.

Actually, your pic shows after the head to head...

Jan 4, 2013, 7:46 AM

The only way to see the "whole thing" is thru video (which I have viewed on tivo) and he CLEARLY hit the guy with the TOP of his helmet right on the facemask- therefore head to head "targeting! So there ya go, now I'm right again!

I doubt Clowney will even go in the first 4 rounds

Jan 3, 2013, 8:26 PM [ in reply to This says ILLEGAL. no debate! ]

No chance.

Re: no it wasn't***

Jan 3, 2013, 9:47 PM [ in reply to no it wasn't*** ]

Why give any coot the time of day on Tiger Net? This board is for Clemson only!!!

Re: Illegal hit

Jan 3, 2013, 2:46 PM [ in reply to Illegal hit ]

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it was a legal hit..

Jan 4, 2013, 1:48 AM [ in reply to Illegal hit ]

had he been one of our players you saying it was illegal would be cheering it and would dare a coot to say it was illegal.the hate for the other teams between both fans kills any hope of logic on this message board

Clowney couldn't sniff the Fridge's Jock strap.

Clowney is good but he's not that good.

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

This. Clowney is a prototype player and great athlete.

Jan 3, 2013, 11:13 AM

Perry was a freak of nature and a great football player.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He will be better than Fridge, imo.***

Jan 3, 2013, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Clowney couldn't sniff the Fridge's Jock strap. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no way***

Jan 3, 2013, 5:21 PM

Yeah, but which one wins a 2-man spelling bee?******

Jan 3, 2013, 5:33 PM [ in reply to Clowney couldn't sniff the Fridge's Jock strap. ]

It was a completely busted assignment, he's had way better

plays.

I'm not so sure it was a "great play" as much as it was a

Jan 3, 2013, 11:12 AM

Awe-inspiring display of brute force and athleticism. It was an easy play to make, just as far as making a tackle. But the force of the blow, along with the context of the play and result, are what got people talking.

when you hit a guy that outweighs you by 50 pounds

Jan 3, 2013, 11:21 AM

so hard that he makes snow angels in the turf....now THAT is a hit. Reid-170 pounds/Lattimore-230 pounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D1IGweDXSY

Clowney hit a guy that weighs 100 pounds less than he does....and dude popped back up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: when you hit a guy that outweighs you by 50 pounds

Jan 3, 2013, 8:31 PM

Watch this video, listen for the hit. Makes the same sound as Clowney's hit just not as loud because it wasn't right next to that overhead camera. Reid lead with his shoulder pads and you heard that same "pop" sound.

^^^^^^ Gets it!!!****

Jan 3, 2013, 8:10 PM [ in reply to I'm not so sure it was a "great play" as much as it was a ]

Re: All the hype about Clowney, and it was a good hit, BUT

Jan 3, 2013, 11:17 AM

Get off this crap. Clemson beat powerhouse,SEC, previously no.1 LSU. Can't you guys get over this man hate for the gamecocks??? GO TIGERS

Great Hit! Yes! - Great Play - Not really - he was unblocked

Jan 3, 2013, 11:30 AM

and I think he was handled all day by Lewan from Michigan - he had like 4 tackles and no sacks - he disappeared until they forgot to block him. Any typical DE in Major College ball with a 6 yard head start, straight to the handoff can annihilate a 185lb RB.. that's just physics.

Water the Point Tree

Re: Great Hit! Yes! - Great Play - Not really - he was unblocked

Jan 3, 2013, 9:13 PM

"Clowney is good but he's not that good".
Don't apply for any Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, network broadcasting, or NFL General Manager positions any time soon. All of them would tell you that you're full of s*#t, as would anyone else with 20/20 vision.

I'm not sure it was so much the hit

Jan 3, 2013, 11:38 AM

but the timing. The refs had pretty much just screwed them- real time and replay, by giving Michigan the 1st down. And in a matter of seconds, he had single-handedly taken the game right back. It was a pretty incredible scene at the time.
Anyway, how bout those Clemson Tigers? ;)

Jan 3, 2013, 4:55 PM

https://mobile.twitter.com/SEC_Logo/status/286709888606941184/photo/1

Clearly a text book, perfectly legal hit. Read all the rules you want, it does not make you right, that picture does in fact make me right though.

Jan 3, 2013, 5:05 PM

Boom, right in the chest and settles this argument...Next?

yeah clowney sucks at football

Jan 3, 2013, 5:22 PM

Thats why he will be #1pick next year in draft.

Man I wish I could have watched him play.***

Jan 3, 2013, 5:51 PM

Will always hate carowhina... Always.***

Jan 3, 2013, 5:59 PM

Jan 3, 2013, 8:28 PM

Have any of y'all actually played football? I mean what about that hit screams illegal? Pause it when he makes contact and he is leading with his chest/shoulder pads and they are hitting the RB square in the chests. Clowney does not launch himself and he does not hit the guy with his helmet, the initial hit is with his pads and it is almost impossible not to bump helmets when hitting someone that hard.

If he played for anyone but USC it would be a picture perfect tackle (which it was.) Get over it, move on, it was a great hit.

Jan 3, 2013, 8:28 PM

About the Clowney hit, didn't mean to threadjack, I apologize.

Jan 4, 2013, 5:31 AM

F'nA some of y'all are an embarrassment to Clemson.
For one, it was an adequate play, a DE doing what he's supposed to do, and tackling by the book.
Secondarily, would you rather the game be played with flags? Mr. Ford and Mr. Perry say GTFO.
That was a pooty game overall anyway- this season's conference mid-tiers from the SEC and Big 10 mushing it out in a vomit of almostrelevant stew. Nobody cares.

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic