Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Venables says Christian Wilkins has been more"than we had hoped"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

TNET: Venables says Christian Wilkins has been more"than we had hoped"

Nov 12, 2018, 2:24 PM

Venables says Christian Wilkins has been more"than we had hoped"

Brent Venables doesn’t open up very often, his true thoughts and feelings inscrutable, hidden behind the emotionless mask that many college football coaches have to wear. That changes when he talks about senior defensive tackle Christian Wilkins. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Venables says Christian Wilkins has been more"than we had hoped"

Nov 12, 2018, 2:37 PM

He really is the glue, he and Renfrow will be sorely missed. I for one am so happy I’ve got to witness this moment in time. I came to Clemson from 99-02, leading up to that about a year earlier I was always on campus and around town.
During my time there, the positivity level was no where near this. Rough times. So I truly appreciate everything. Wilkins is my favorite Tiger of all time.

Nov 12, 2018, 5:15 PM

To be more than hoped for, isn't that the ultimate compliment!

As a Tillman Level tither at Newspring, I'm glad to hear ...

Nov 12, 2018, 2:39 PM

... we got more than our money's worth.

I caught that too. Probably not the best choice of words

Nov 12, 2018, 3:02 PM

even though I know it's just a turn of a phrase.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I caught that too. Probably not the best choice of words

Nov 12, 2018, 3:18 PM

Scholarship money is real dollars!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't be silly! There is a big investment in every player

Nov 12, 2018, 8:00 PM [ in reply to I caught that too. Probably not the best choice of words ]

on the team, so yeah, we more than got our money's worth with Wilkins!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As a Tillman Level tither at Newspring, I'm glad to hear ...

Nov 12, 2018, 7:23 PM [ in reply to As a Tillman Level tither at Newspring, I'm glad to hear ... ]

I'm sure that there's no doubt that BV was talking about what it cost the athletic department for his education, room and board bc there is a ton of money that goes into those FB scholarships!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2018, 3:08 PM

Jim Grobe (former Wake FB Coach) once stated that there are two characteristic he must have in a recruit:
1) Good Character
2) Speed

"Everything else", Grobe stated, "I can coach!"

We are blessed to have coaches that even coach character!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's only rushed 6 yards for one TD, what's the big deal?

Nov 12, 2018, 3:08 PM

j/k

:)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: He's only rushed 6 yards for one TD, what's the big deal?

Nov 12, 2018, 7:54 PM

I'll take a career avg of 6 yds per carry every day of the week!

Christian Wilkins

Nov 12, 2018, 3:44 PM

I miss him already...

Nov 12, 2018, 3:52 PM

Of course, Clemson haters say this just proves that Clemson is cheating. Otherwise, he would have gone last year because he was a sure fire 1st round draft pick.

Actually, I think it was a brilliant move by Wilkins because last year's draft class was stronger than this one and he will go earlier which usually means more money. As long as he stays healthy, he should go top 5. Last season had a lot of quarterbacks and Saquon Barkley. This year is bleak at the skill positions.
If Oregon QB Justin Herbert does decide to stay in school as he has indicated, the top QB might be Finley from NC State. Let that sink in a moment.

Nov 12, 2018, 4:06 PM

Of course, Clemson haters say this just proves that Clemson is cheating. Otherwise, he would have gone last year because he was a sure fire 1st round draft pick.

You realize that that makes no sense what-so-ever. Nobody thinks we are paying first round bonus money to keep a player one more year, not even idiot coots.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2018, 3:09 PM

You realize that that makes no sense what-so-ever. Nobody thinks we are paying first round bonus money to keep a player one more year, not even idiot coots.

This is giving idiot coots entirely too much credit.

HATE US CUS U AIN'T US***

Nov 12, 2018, 5:45 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Venables says Christian Wilkins has been more"than we had hoped" ]

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: HATE US CUS U AIN'T US***

Nov 12, 2018, 7:46 PM

Absolutely bc, players at most other schools can't barely wait until they have finished their junior year so they can apply for the NFL, when most Clemson players leave as a junior, hate it that they're families wasn't financially secure enough to allow them to come back to Clemson for their senior season.

When all the reports come out of the schools where the students were the happiest and loved their school, Clemson is always in the the top 5 of being a school where the students are happiest, and they never regret the choice they've made bc they truly love their school!!!

Re: HATE US CUS U AIN'T US***

Nov 13, 2018, 2:54 PM [ in reply to HATE US CUS U AIN'T US*** ]

I wonder how many remember the early/mid 90s when you couldn't say something like this.

Nov 12, 2018, 7:31 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Venables says Christian Wilkins has been more"than we had hoped" ]

If that is what they are saying, it only proves how really stupid that they are bc, there is no way that Clemson or the schools that do cheat would ever attempt to pay a junior what they could make interring the NFL as a 1st round draft pick for just one more year as a college athlete!!! When people actually accuse a school for doing things like that, how is it they don't realize just how stupid and ignorant they actually sound!!!!

Nov 13, 2018, 9:40 AM

I think it just proves how jealous they are. Clemson is pretty hot right now and there will be jealous people saying stupid things like Wilkins has been bought and paid for since he committed to Clemson.
Just idiot talk.

Nov 12, 2018, 9:16 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Venables says Christian Wilkins has been more"than we had hoped" ]

Who would not want Wilkins on their team? What a quality individual. One of the best we have ever
had at Clemson. I don't think he is finished, yet. GO TIGERS.

Christian Wilkins

Nov 12, 2018, 4:20 PM

Christian was well-named. We ran into his family before the National Championship game. They wanted to pray together for the safety of Christian and the team.

What a legacy they have passed from God to Christian. Now he passes it to others. May we do the same.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Christian Wilkins

Nov 12, 2018, 5:08 PM

I hope that Christian and Dabo have picked that special person to take that leadership role next year and following. Christian needs to pass the mantel to the next man up.

Re: Christian Wilkins

Nov 12, 2018, 5:32 PM

You don't pick them. They emerge.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

To be so young and yet to be so giving is incredible

Nov 12, 2018, 5:57 PM

That is enough to make a grown man cry! Wow what MAN he is

Wilkins has meant as much to the program as Deshaun

Nov 12, 2018, 6:06 PM

You can't replace either one. There may be a guy that has the same numbers in the box score, but you don't get a Christian Wilkins very often. He has been exceptional and will surely be missed. However one day in the future, when he says goodbye to the NFL, he will fill a position on Clemson's staff. Can't say enough about him.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wilkins has meant as much to the program as Deshaun

Nov 12, 2018, 7:17 PM

As for Christian's decision to stick around another year, I expect Clemson will have more to do with the last 50 years of his life than the NFL.

Nov 12, 2018, 7:51 PM

On January 8th, as we bask in the afterglow of our 3rd National Championship, the school needs to announce that #42 will be retired, not just for his accomplishments on the field, but his impact off the field.

Nov 12, 2018, 8:20 PM

I love Wilkins, and there won't ever be another total package as Christian has been for his team and the young guys that he has help to grow up quicker than they would have without a Christian Wilkins on the team but, if his #42 is retired, the #13 should be retired also bc Hunter is also a great player and leader on the other side of the ball, and he has been just as important as a player on offense as Wilkins has been on the defense, and more than anything, it's all about what the player has meant to the team as a player First!!! If Wilkins would have always been a 3d string player with everything else that Wilkins is known and loved for, would we be for retiring his Number, I don't think that we would. So if #42 is retired, retire #13 also!!!

Nov 12, 2018, 9:22 PM

I agree. Hunter is special, too. What a baller. Great time to be a Tiger.

Nov 12, 2018, 9:50 PM

The fact that our defensive coordinator, Coach Venables, would actually say this of one of his players (and he includes all of them) speaks volumes of the culture that Coach CDS has brought to Clemson, and how he has shared with his team - our team - the principles he lives by, and with all of Clemson University, past, present and future. "We seek the light, by following the light...." (St. Bernard of Clairvaux)

Go Tigers!!!

Nov 13, 2018, 12:01 AM

I’m really so happy we get to see the player interviews and behind the scenes stuff. It would be awful to have them play here and never get to see what great young men they are under the helmet, and I mean all of them. I have told people since Wilkins was a sophomore that I may get the chance to vote for him for president one day, if he chooses that path to make his impact.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic